Brewdog

All things Rugby
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 35879
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Brewdog

Post by eldanielfire »

Seems they were not the nice, hippy hipsters who made a small business a success they portray. But are the usual nasty corporate suits like so many other "successful" businesses.

The image being taken apart by Private eye:

Image

The reality:

Image
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Brewdog

Post by danny_fitz »

Camden Town beer got all sorts of shit from James Watt of Brewdog for 'selling out' to a AB InBev for £85 million in 2015. I thought fair play to Jasper Cuppaidge who found the company.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 53693
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Brewdog

Post by earl the beaver »

There's a published letter on twitter about working culture, lies from management to promote the brand etc.

They can't reference specific instances because of fear of being sued but ultimately if you see headline on the likes of ladbible or a promoted linkedin post about how great working for Brewdog is beause of stuff like pawternity leave etc. then it's more than likely just bullshit.
User avatar
madman
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by madman »

It is a brand.. clear for a while they are just image. (also never been overly impressed with their beers)
bimboman
Posts: 75546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by bimboman »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:05 am Camden Town beer got all sorts of shit from James Watt of Brewdog for 'selling out' to a AB InBev for £85 million in 2015. I thought fair play to Jasper Cuppaidge who found the company.

:thumbup:
User avatar
SaintK
Posts: 6380
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: 'ertfordshire

Re: Brewdog

Post by SaintK »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:05 am Camden Town beer got all sorts of shit from James Watt of Brewdog for 'selling out' to a AB InBev for £85 million in 2015. I thought fair play to Jasper Cuppaidge who found the company.
As did Logan Plant when he sold 40% of Beavertown to Heineken!
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 12788
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: Brewdog

Post by Frodder »

A cancel culture is on the way for this lot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57428258
User avatar
clementinfrance
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: France

Re: Brewdog

Post by clementinfrance »

madman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:59 pm It is a brand.. clear for a while they are just image. (also never been overly impressed with their beers)
This.

You just have to look at Brewdog's marketing strategy to see they were never "in it just for the beer."
User avatar
blindcider
Posts: 8638
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by blindcider »

Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
User avatar
Gynormus
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:01 pm

Re: Brewdog

Post by Gynormus »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:17 pm
danny_fitz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:05 am Camden Town beer got all sorts of shit from James Watt of Brewdog for 'selling out' to a AB InBev for £85 million in 2015. I thought fair play to Jasper Cuppaidge who found the company.
As did Logan Plant when he sold 40% of Beavertown to Heineken!
Bloody well done to him & his team.
User avatar
Azlan Roar
Posts: 3257
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Adopted Lion - Jon Davies

Re: Brewdog

Post by Azlan Roar »

Brew Dog's reputation has been dog shit for quite a while now, so none of the twitter revelations should come as a surprise.

The mask first slipped when James Watt agreed to involve Brew Dog in a TV show called Who’s The Boss? - a fly on the wall docuthing back in 2016, which was a PR disaster for BrewDog at the time and turned twitter on them big time.

That was followed up by numerous BrewDog stole my marketing idea stories that included people being put through lengthy interview processes, where they had to pitch ideas, only to not get the job but then see their ideas miraculously come to life.

It's no coincidence perhaps that Watt is an anagram of twat
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 7610
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

They are crowdsourcing to open their first brewery in Oz

Charlatans
bimboman
Posts: 75546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by bimboman »

Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
User avatar
madman
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by madman »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
Would expect nothing else from you..
User avatar
Gynormus
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:01 pm

Re: Brewdog

Post by Gynormus »

blindcider wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
I have still to taste a decent beer from BrewDog. Plants beers are rather decent & like Camden Beer are getting their product out there. Good event to see these guys is at the Craft Brewers Fair usually held on the old Trumans Brewery on Brick Lane
bimboman
Posts: 75546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by bimboman »

madman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:51 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
Would expect nothing else from you..


It’s great really cold.
User avatar
SaintK
Posts: 6380
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: 'ertfordshire

Re: Brewdog

Post by SaintK »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
It's shit!
User avatar
SaintK
Posts: 6380
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: 'ertfordshire

Re: Brewdog

Post by SaintK »

Gynormus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:55 pm
blindcider wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
I have still to taste a decent beer from BrewDog. Plants beers are rather decent & like Camden Beer are getting their product out there. Good event to see these guys is at the Craft Brewers Fair usually held on the old Trumans Brewery on Brick Lane
Beavertown Neck Oil got me started on "Craft" beer, but there are so many smaller breweries out there that are so much better than Beavertown, Brewdog and Camden.
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 7610
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

madman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:51 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
Would expect nothing else from you..
The kiss of death
bimboman
Posts: 75546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by bimboman »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:59 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
It's shit!

I really like it.

While I’m a wine snob for obvious reasons, good wine is great, the idea of “craft” beers is silly.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 35879
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by eldanielfire »

madman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:51 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
Would expect nothing else from you..
Ain't that the truth!
User avatar
Gynormus
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:01 pm

Re: Brewdog

Post by Gynormus »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:02 pm
Gynormus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:55 pm
blindcider wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
I have still to taste a decent beer from BrewDog. Plants beers are rather decent & like Camden Beer are getting their product out there. Good event to see these guys is at the Craft Brewers Fair usually held on the old Trumans Brewery on Brick Lane
Beavertown Neck Oil got me started on "Craft" beer, but there are so many smaller breweries out there that are so much better than Beavertown, Brewdog and Camden.
Pub near Twickenham Green (Sussex Arms) has some 33+ mainly craft beers sourced locally. Worse being Twickenham Ales. The craft beer game is access to market & not using kegs thus capacity, identity & price. Check for the big Craft Beer fairs. So many think they're going to be the next Brewdog etc. Budweisser, Molsen, Heineken etc are sweeping up a lot of these guys
User avatar
SaintK
Posts: 6380
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: 'ertfordshire

Re: Brewdog

Post by SaintK »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:04 pm
SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:59 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
It's shit!

I really like it.

While I’m a wine snob for obvious reasons, good wine is great, the idea of “craft” beers is silly.
We sell Punk and Dead Pony Club at my rugby club and they're ok compared to some of the fizzy draught stuff on tap.
I'm neither a wine snob nor a beer snob, I like what I like and love trying things I've never tried before.
Ignore the word "craft" it's just a label. You'd be amazed what's out there.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 11181
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by Leinsterman »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 pm
I'm neither a wine snob nor a beer snob, I like what I like and love trying things I've never tried before.
Ignore the word "craft" it's just a label. You'd be amazed what's out there.
He's not interested in holding a conversation with you. He just wants to start another of his contrarian shitfights.
bimboman
Posts: 75546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by bimboman »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:23 pm
SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 pm
I'm neither a wine snob nor a beer snob, I like what I like and love trying things I've never tried before.
Ignore the word "craft" it's just a label. You'd be amazed what's out there.
He's not interested in holding a conversation with you. He just wants to start another of his contrarian shitfights.

I’d happily discuss wine and beer with Saint K. I’ve just an opinion on beer being a product of consistency not something I want character in.
User avatar
SaintK
Posts: 6380
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: 'ertfordshire

Re: Brewdog

Post by SaintK »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:23 pm
SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 pm
I'm neither a wine snob nor a beer snob, I like what I like and love trying things I've never tried before.
Ignore the word "craft" it's just a label. You'd be amazed what's out there.
He's not interested in holding a conversation with you. He just wants to start another of his contrarian shitfights.
:lol: :lol:
Not sure this is a subject to have a shitfight about, I certainly won't be.
Had a few interesting conversations with him on food and restaurants before so you neveer know?
User avatar
koroke hangareka
Posts: 3443
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by koroke hangareka »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:59 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
It's shit!
I found it neither really great nor shit. Just ok but kind of dull.
User avatar
msp.
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by msp. »

koroke hangareka wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:31 pm
SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:59 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
It's shit!
I found it neither really great nor shit. Just ok but kind of dull.
Between brewdog a pint of something like Loddon (https://loddonbrewery.com/) Loddon every time. But between Brewdog and some crap lager then prob brewdog..
de_Selby
Posts: 4586
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: Brewdog

Post by de_Selby »

koroke hangareka wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:31 pm
SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:59 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
It's shit!
I found it neither really great nor shit. Just ok but kind of dull.
That about sums it up, still decent though.

I think it used to be much nicer, it had a hoppy taste without going overboard and being too bitter to stomach. They toned it down a lot and now and it's much blander. Much better than Heineken or something though.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 35879
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by eldanielfire »

msp. wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 pm
koroke hangareka wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:31 pm
SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:59 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
It's shit!
I found it neither really great nor shit. Just ok but kind of dull.
Between brewdog a pint of something like Loddon (https://loddonbrewery.com/) Loddon every time. But between Brewdog and some crap lager then prob brewdog..
I don't like IPAs or Bitter. I like a larger shandy though as it's amazingly refreshing on a hot day, though I prefer the Belgium-Polish-German style of beers. They are fantastic.
User avatar
Gynormus
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:01 pm

Re: Brewdog

Post by Gynormus »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:02 pm
Gynormus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:55 pm
blindcider wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
I have still to taste a decent beer from BrewDog. Plants beers are rather decent & like Camden Beer are getting their product out there. Good event to see these guys is at the Craft Brewers Fair usually held on the old Trumans Brewery on Brick Lane
Beavertown Neck Oil got me started on "Craft" beer, but there are so many smaller breweries out there that are so much better than Beavertown, Brewdog and Camden.
Pub near Twickenham Green (Sussex Arms) has some 33+ mainly craft beers sourced locally. Worse being Twickenham Ales. The craft beer game is access to market & not using kegs thus capacity, identity & price. Check for the big Craft Beer fairs. So many think they're going to be the next Brewdog etc. Budweisser, Molsen, Heineken etc are sweeping up a lot of these guys
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 11181
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by Leinsterman »

de_Selby wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:49 pm
I think it used to be much nicer, it had a hoppy taste without going overboard and being too bitter to stomach. They toned it down a lot and now and it's much blander. Much better than Heineken or something though.
Yeah they've definitely changed how they brew it.
Regularly happens with the craft/micro guys, they tweak their technique.
One of my favourites used to be Sabotage by Trouble Brewing and they then seemed to change it. Got another beer a while back by Dundalk Bay Brewery and it tasted the exact same as the old Sabotage. Turned out the head brewer had left Trouble to work with the other guys.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 53693
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Brewdog

Post by earl the beaver »

I've a great local beer shop now called the Hoptimist, stocks from all manner of small brewers and I'm enjoying trying new stuff each week.
backrow
Posts: 23607
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by backrow »

I don’t personally rate their beers at all, normally I like trying small craft beers but they are now mainstream and tbh, utter crap. I briefly looked into their ‘invest with us’ scheme and walked away swiftly as being a pseudo Ponzi with no actual ‘we need £5m for a new mash tun’ type detail.

Remind me a bit of Ben & Jerry’s or Pukka tea, all HIPPY and ALTERNATIVE and PUNK and shouty, but in reality as grubby corporate Tory trough drinking evil mini-Bezos types who are as full of shit as any boiler room.
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14939
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: Brewdog

Post by Hellraiser »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:02 pm
de_Selby wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:49 pm
I think it used to be much nicer, it had a hoppy taste without going overboard and being too bitter to stomach. They toned it down a lot and now and it's much blander. Much better than Heineken or something though.
Yeah they've definitely changed how they brew it.
Regularly happens with the craft/micro guys, they tweak their technique.
One of my favourites used to be Sabotage by Trouble Brewing and they then seemed to change it. Got another beer a while back by Dundalk Bay Brewery and it tasted the exact same as the old Sabotage. Turned out the head brewer had left Trouble to work with the other guys.
Dave Guilfoyle? He's a sound lad.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 11181
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brewdog

Post by Leinsterman »

Hellraiser wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:12 pm
Leinsterman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:02 pm
de_Selby wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:49 pm
I think it used to be much nicer, it had a hoppy taste without going overboard and being too bitter to stomach. They toned it down a lot and now and it's much blander. Much better than Heineken or something though.
Yeah they've definitely changed how they brew it.
Regularly happens with the craft/micro guys, they tweak their technique.
One of my favourites used to be Sabotage by Trouble Brewing and they then seemed to change it. Got another beer a while back by Dundalk Bay Brewery and it tasted the exact same as the old Sabotage. Turned out the head brewer had left Trouble to work with the other guys.
Dave Guilfoyle? He's a sound lad.
Yep that's the guy
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Brewdog

Post by danny_fitz »

blindcider wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
Quite. I like a decent session IPA for the rugby but many of the craft beers are knocking on the door of 6% which will just fudge me up.

Have recently discovered Big Smoke brewery in Esher who own a few boozers around Kingston. Got some nice stuff
dinsdale
Posts: 1513
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am
Location: SW London

Re: Brewdog

Post by dinsdale »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:23 pm
blindcider wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
Quite. I like a decent session IPA for the rugby but many of the craft beers are knocking on the door of 6% which will just fudge me up.

Have recently discovered Big Smoke brewery in Esher who own a few boozers around Kingston. Got some nice stuff
Big Smoke have improved a lot the last couple of years and are a good choice if you are in one of their rapidly increasing number of pubs. I get cans from the brewery from time to time but for home consumption I do think there is better available for the same money.

I'm fine with a brewery whose business model is to get bought out by somebody big. I'm not fine with pretending that's not your plan. When big breweries take over smaller ones, the quality always goes to s hit.

Brewdog's beer went downhill massively several years ago.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Brewdog

Post by danny_fitz »

dinsdale wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:42 pm
danny_fitz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:23 pm
blindcider wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
Quite. I like a decent session IPA for the rugby but many of the craft beers are knocking on the door of 6% which will just fudge me up.

Have recently discovered Big Smoke brewery in Esher who own a few boozers around Kingston. Got some nice stuff
Big Smoke have improved a lot the last couple of years and are a good choice if you are in one of their rapidly increasing number of pubs. I get cans from the brewery from time to time but for home consumption I do think there is better available for the same money.

I'm fine with a brewery whose business model is to get bought out by somebody big. I'm not fine with pretending that's not your plan. When big breweries take over smaller ones, the quality always goes to s hit.

Brewdog's beer went downhill massively several years ago.
The Antelope is not a bad pub where they stock all their beers plus some decent guest ales.

Bedlam brewery is also worth a look (actually co founded by my neighbour)
User avatar
SaintK
Posts: 6380
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: 'ertfordshire

Re: Brewdog

Post by SaintK »

dinsdale wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:42 pm
danny_fitz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:23 pm
blindcider wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
Quite. I like a decent session IPA for the rugby but many of the craft beers are knocking on the door of 6% which will just fudge me up.

Have recently discovered Big Smoke brewery in Esher who own a few boozers around Kingston. Got some nice stuff
Big Smoke have improved a lot the last couple of years and are a good choice if you are in one of their rapidly increasing number of pubs. I get cans from the brewery from time to time but for home consumption I do think there is better available for the same money.

I'm fine with a brewery whose business model is to get bought out by somebody big. I'm not fine with pretending that's not your plan. When big breweries take over smaller ones, the quality always goes to s hit.

Brewdog's beer went downhill massively several years ago.
They've bought a pub just off the A1M in Welwyn. Tried a couple of their beers on tap last week, not bad and an improvement what used to be served there. The guest beer from Deya was better mind!
Post Reply