Brewdog

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Brewdog

Post by eldanielfire »

Seems they were not the nice, hippy hipsters who made a small business a success they portray. But are the usual nasty corporate suits like so many other "successful" businesses.

The image being taken apart by Private eye:

The reality:

danny_fitz

Re: Brewdog

Post by danny_fitz »

Camden Town beer got all sorts of shit from James Watt of Brewdog for 'selling out' to a AB InBev for £85 million in 2015. I thought fair play to Jasper Cuppaidge who found the company.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

There's a published letter on twitter about working culture, lies from management to promote the brand etc.

They can't reference specific instances because of fear of being sued but ultimately if you see headline on the likes of ladbible or a promoted linkedin post about how great working for Brewdog is beause of stuff like pawternity leave etc. then it's more than likely just bullshit.
madman

Post by madman »

It is a brand.. clear for a while they are just image. (also never been overly impressed with their beers)
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:05 am Camden Town beer got all sorts of shit from James Watt of Brewdog for 'selling out' to a AB InBev for £85 million in 2015. I thought fair play to Jasper Cuppaidge who found the company.

:thumbup:
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:05 am Camden Town beer got all sorts of shit from James Watt of Brewdog for 'selling out' to a AB InBev for £85 million in 2015. I thought fair play to Jasper Cuppaidge who found the company.
As did Logan Plant when he sold 40% of Beavertown to Heineken!
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

A cancel culture is on the way for this lot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57428258
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

madman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:59 pm It is a brand.. clear for a while they are just image. (also never been overly impressed with their beers)
This.

You just have to look at Brewdog's marketing strategy to see they were never "in it just for the beer."
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
Gynormus

Post by Gynormus »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:17 pm
As did Logan Plant when he sold 40% of Beavertown to Heineken!
Bloody well done to him & his team.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

Brew Dog's reputation has been dog shit for quite a while now, so none of the twitter revelations should come as a surprise.

The mask first slipped when James Watt agreed to involve Brew Dog in a TV show called Who’s The Boss? - a fly on the wall docuthing back in 2016, which was a PR disaster for BrewDog at the time and turned twitter on them big time.

That was followed up by numerous BrewDog stole my marketing idea stories that included people being put through lengthy interview processes, where they had to pitch ideas, only to not get the job but then see their ideas miraculously come to life.

It's no coincidence perhaps that Watt is an anagram of twat
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

They are crowdsourcing to open their first brewery in Oz

Charlatans
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
madman

Post by madman »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.
Would expect nothing else from you..
Gynormus

Post by Gynormus »

blindcider wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

Another company that seems to think the alcohol content is more important than the taste of the brew
I have still to taste a decent beer from BrewDog. Plants beers are rather decent & like Camden Beer are getting their product out there. Good event to see these guys is at the Craft Brewers Fair usually held on the old Trumans Brewery on Brick Lane
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

madman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:51 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Just bought a 12 of Punk IPA to celebrate.

It’s great really cold.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

It's shit!
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Gynormus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:55 pm
blindcider wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm Their beers are very much style over substance and always have been.

I have still to taste a decent beer from BrewDog. Plants beers are rather decent & like Camden Beer are getting their product out there. Good event to see these guys is at the Craft Brewers Fair usually held on the old Trumans Brewery on Brick Lane
Beavertown Neck Oil got me started on "Craft" beer, but there are so many smaller breweries out there that are so much better than Beavertown, Brewdog and Camden.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

The kiss of death
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:59 pm
It's shit!

I really like it.

While I’m a wine snob for obvious reasons, good wine is great, the idea of “craft” beers is silly.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Ain't that the truth!
Gynormus

Post by Gynormus »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:02 pm

Beavertown Neck Oil got me started on "Craft" beer, but there are so many smaller breweries out there that are so much better than Beavertown, Brewdog and Camden.
Pub near Twickenham Green (Sussex Arms) has some 33+ mainly craft beers sourced locally. Worse being Twickenham Ales. The craft beer game is access to market & not using kegs thus capacity, identity & price. Check for the big Craft Beer fairs. So many think they're going to be the next Brewdog etc. Budweisser, Molsen, Heineken etc are sweeping up a lot of these guys
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:04 pm
It's shit!

I really like it.

While I’m a wine snob for obvious reasons, good wine is great, the idea of “craft” beers is silly.
We sell Punk and Dead Pony Club at my rugby club and they're ok compared to some of the fizzy draught stuff on tap.
I'm neither a wine snob nor a beer snob, I like what I like and love trying things I've never tried before.
Ignore the word "craft" it's just a label. You'd be amazed what's out there.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 pm
I'm neither a wine snob nor a beer snob, I like what I like and love trying things I've never tried before.
He's not interested in holding a conversation with you. He just wants to start another of his contrarian shitfights.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:23 pm
He's not interested in holding a conversation with you. He just wants to start another of his contrarian shitfights.

I’d happily discuss wine and beer with Saint K. I’ve just an opinion on beer being a product of consistency not something I want character in.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:23 pm
:lol: :lol:
Not sure this is a subject to have a shitfight about, I certainly won't be.
Had a few interesting conversations with him on food and restaurants before so you neveer know?
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

It's shit!
I found it neither really great nor shit. Just ok but kind of dull.
msp.

Post by msp. »

koroke hangareka wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:31 pm
It's shit!
Between brewdog a pint of something like Loddon (https://loddonbrewery.com/) Loddon every time. But between Brewdog and some crap lager then prob brewdog..
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

It's shit!
That about sums it up, still decent though.

I think it used to be much nicer, it had a hoppy taste without going overboard and being too bitter to stomach. They toned it down a lot and now and it's much blander. Much better than Heineken or something though.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

msp. wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 pm
It's shit!
Between brewdog a pint of something like Loddon (https://loddonbrewery.com/) Loddon every time. But between Brewdog and some crap lager then prob brewdog..
I don't like IPAs or Bitter. I like a larger shandy though as it's amazingly refreshing on a hot day, though I prefer the Belgium-Polish-German style of beers. They are fantastic.
Gynormus

Post by Gynormus »

SaintK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:02 pm

Pub near Twickenham Green (Sussex Arms) has some 33+ mainly craft beers sourced locally. Worse being Twickenham Ales. The craft beer game is access to market & not using kegs thus capacity, identity & price. Check for the big Craft Beer fairs. So many think they're going to be the next Brewdog etc. Budweisser, Molsen, Heineken etc are sweeping up a lot of these guys
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

de_Selby wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:49 pm
I think it used to be much nicer, it had a hoppy taste without going overboard and being too bitter to stomach. They toned it down a lot and now and it's much blander. Much better than Heineken or something though.
Yeah they've definitely changed how they brew it.
Regularly happens with the craft/micro guys, they tweak their technique.
One of my favourites used to be Sabotage by Trouble Brewing and they then seemed to change it. Got another beer a while back by Dundalk Bay Brewery and it tasted the exact same as the old Sabotage. Turned out the head brewer had left Trouble to work with the other guys.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

I've a great local beer shop now called the Hoptimist, stocks from all manner of small brewers and I'm enjoying trying new stuff each week.
backrow

Post by backrow »

I don’t personally rate their beers at all, normally I like trying small craft beers but they are now mainstream and tbh, utter crap. I briefly looked into their ‘invest with us’ scheme and walked away swiftly as being a pseudo Ponzi with no actual ‘we need £5m for a new mash tun’ type detail.

Remind me a bit of Ben & Jerry’s or Pukka tea, all HIPPY and ALTERNATIVE and PUNK and shouty, but in reality as grubby corporate Tory trough drinking evil mini-Bezos types who are as full of shit as any boiler room.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:02 pm
One of my favourites used to be Sabotage by Trouble Brewing and they then seemed to change it. Got another beer a while back by Dundalk Bay Brewery and it tasted the exact same as the old Sabotage. Turned out the head brewer had left Trouble to work with the other guys.
Dave Guilfoyle? He's a sound lad.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Hellraiser wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:12 pm
Leinsterman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:02 pm
Dave Guilfoyle? He's a sound lad.
Yep that's the guy
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Quite. I like a decent session IPA for the rugby but many of the craft beers are knocking on the door of 6% which will just fudge me up.

Have recently discovered Big Smoke brewery in Esher who own a few boozers around Kingston. Got some nice stuff
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:23 pm

Quite. I like a decent session IPA for the rugby but many of the craft beers are knocking on the door of 6% which will just fudge me up.

Have recently discovered Big Smoke brewery in Esher who own a few boozers around Kingston. Got some nice stuff
Big Smoke have improved a lot the last couple of years and are a good choice if you are in one of their rapidly increasing number of pubs. I get cans from the brewery from time to time but for home consumption I do think there is better available for the same money.

I'm fine with a brewery whose business model is to get bought out by somebody big. I'm not fine with pretending that's not your plan. When big breweries take over smaller ones, the quality always goes to s hit.

Brewdog's beer went downhill massively several years ago.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

dinsdale wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:42 pm

Big Smoke have improved a lot the last couple of years and are a good choice if you are in one of their rapidly increasing number of pubs. I get cans from the brewery from time to time but for home consumption I do think there is better available for the same money.

I'm fine with a brewery whose business model is to get bought out by somebody big. I'm not fine with pretending that's not your plan. When big breweries take over smaller ones, the quality always goes to s hit.

The Antelope is not a bad pub where they stock all their beers plus some decent guest ales.

Bedlam brewery is also worth a look (actually co founded by my neighbour)
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

dinsdale wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:42 pm

They've bought a pub just off the A1M in Welwyn. Tried a couple of their beers on tap last week, not bad and an improvement what used to be served there. The guest beer from Deya was better mind!