They are us - Chch mosque massacre film

All things Rugby
jdogscoop

They are us - Chch mosque massacre film

Post by jdogscoop »

They are us

Should a film be made about the Chch mosque murders?

I recently went to Port Arthur. They mention the event, but they dont mention the gunman by name.

If you wanted to play the PM, rather than Rose Byrne what about home grown Mel Homer?

https://media-exp1.licdn.com/dms/image/ ... P-nVXRaQq4
Mr Mike

Re: They are us - Chch mosque massacre film

Post by Mr Mike »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:10 pmIf you wanted to play the PM, rather than Rose Byrne what about home grown Mel Homer?
They never asked me whether I wanted to play the PM but suspect Byrne would be a better choice than me.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

The line from the producers is that the film is about the country's reaction to the murders which could be a timely reminder of the message.

I'll reserve judgement but my thoughts are that it is too soon.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Too soon? There is a huge backlash amongst the Muslim community and beyond that centering this on the PM’s leadership is just white saviourism.
They are not us and it hurts to be props in a Hollywood movie
17:29 pm on 11 June 2021

By Mohamed Hassan*

Opinion - In the months following the Christchurch attacks, some of us in the Muslim community began to feel a sense of unease with the way this shattering day was being broadcast to the world.

Hollywood producer Glen Basner says he's thrilled to be able bring to market 'an inspiring story'.
Hollywood producer Glen Basner says he's thrilled to be able bring to market 'an inspiring story'. Photo: AFP

It was unsettling trying to process and grieve the unimaginable, while watching the world celebrate a New Zealand 'success story', a 'heroic' leader, a country overcoming racism and horror.

It felt confusing to see the Prime Minister's face projected on the side of Burj Khalifa before the names and faces of the 51 Muslim New Zealanders lost. The country was being held up as a beacon of tolerance and peace just days after the worst terror attack in our recent history.

But what did we have to celebrate?

The mantra of 'They Are Us' repeated over and over like a prayer soon began to lose its meaning. After March 15, many of us felt more isolated than ever before. We looked over our shoulders when we walked through a crowd. We felt our chests tightening while walking into a mosque. Some of us stopped taking our children to Friday prayers.

Others questioned whether or not to abandon wearing the hijab in search of safety. We were all waiting for more attacks to come, and we did not know where they would come from, or when.

Even two years on, walking to my local North Shore mosque with my father, I couldn't help but watch the stationed police car from the corner of my eye and wonder whether a lone officer could stop a gunman, or what they would do against a driver with murderous intent.

Two days ago, we saw this happen in Ontario, where four members of a Canadian-Muslim family were killed by a man who drove into them intentionally. He had been waiting and plotting for his moment to strike. Two years earlier, another man opened fire on worshippers at a Quebec mosque, killing six people.

Two months after that, Brenton Tarrant walked into Al Noor Mosque, and then Linwood Islamic Centre.

All of us were grateful for the beauty we witnessed in the days that followed, the empathy and warmth and shared grief we were able to experience as a country. It was a moment that shaped us, gave us a path forward through the darkness. But that process has not ended. We are not healed. We are not ready to move on, and the road is long and difficult.

There are dozens of March 15 survivors who are still being treated for their injuries. Men, women and children dealing with deep trauma that will stay with them for the rest of their lives, barring them from being able to ever return to normal life in their societies.

There are families still fighting the government and ACC for compensation. Others who feel silenced and ignored by police, intelligence and a Royal Commission that failed to hold anyone to account. And how do we even begin to talk about those mourning the lost, the heroes whose memories New Zealand can never let fade?

There were times when 'They Are Us' felt hollow. A promise made but not kept. A pat on the back for a job not yet done.

Now, watching this same phrase being used so callously to market and finance a film adaptation makes it hard to think of it as anything more than just another tourism slogan.

Even worse, that the film has chosen to focus not on the tragedy and the victims, but instead on the prime minister and the rest of the country and their response. It is being sold as a feel good story, a portrayal of heroism in the face of terror.

In its essence, it is a story about an act of white supremacy that is centered around white voices, white feelings and white heroism. The irony is nauseating. The lack of self-awareness is profound.

As a Muslim, I have never had any faith in Hollywood. It is an industry that for decades was the only source of information for billions of people on Islam and Muslims, and what they saw were monsters marionetted on screen to sell cinema tickets.

Grotesque antagonists screaming nonsensically, cloaked in black, firing AK-47 rifles in the air before getting mowed down by Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sylvester Stallone or Harrison Ford or whatever heroic white saviour was in season that year.

My people, my history, my culture and my religion were plot points film producers in California salivated over in writing rooms, shaking each other's hands while making millions off of our systematic erasure.

When the 'war on terror' began, this machine went into hyperdrive, bolstered by a 24-hour news cycle that bartered in our misery, painting barbaric hordes of angry men dreaming of violence, humiliated women reduced to orientalist fantasies that had chosen their own subjugation, and scheming two-faced immigrant communities plotting terror at the heart of Western civilisation.

For decades, this is the only image of Muslims anyone saw. For decades, this is the only image Muslims saw of ourselves. We were raised on this, and so was everyone else.

Meanwhile, the true toll of war and counter-terrorism was destroying nations, ripping apart communities and leaving Muslim minorities to fend for themselves against the overwhelming whirlpool of hatred, fear and paranoia swirling around us. We were entirely alone, vulnerable and denied even the right to speak for ourselves.

And here we are again, being spoken about but not spoken to. Our intimate and devastating trauma packaged and sold by yet another twinkle-eyed Hollywood producer. Our voices are irrelevant. Our bodies props on a set designed to tell someone else's fable.

Even I am surprised by how much this hurts. How angry it makes me. But it's a reminder the pain is still fresh. These wounds have not healed. I write this from a place of utter exhaustion. I am tired. I do not want to deal with this today, but here we are again.

Many of the details surrounding this film are still yet to be revealed, including whether Jacinda Ardern approved her likeness being represented on screen**, how many of the Christchurch victims were consulted, and how the rest feel about their story being told in this way.

What seems clear is the gleeful tone of the press release, the passing mention of community consultation that feels like an afterthought added by a legal team to stave off social media backlash.

"We are thrilled to bring to market this inspiring story," says Glen Basner, whose production company is now shopping this story and its star-studded lead actress around to financiers.

But this is not an inspiring story. It is a tragedy, one that must always be centered around the Muslim victims and their families. No one else.

And when they are ready to speak again, the rest of us must sit down and listen.

*Mohamed Hassan is an award-winning journalist and poet based in Auckland. He is also the host of The Guest House, a podcast that explores how Muslims made sense of Christchurch mosque attacks.

** Note: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's office clarified that neither she nor the government have any involvement in the film.
https://amp.rnz.co.nz/article/5ee4bf15 ... ssion=true

With distinct ethnicities involved it’s a tough one. Hollywood in their shallow way see an angle and that’s focussing on Ardern. I think of other tragedies turned into film like Out of the blue, the Aramoana massacre. Sensitively shot, IMO, but in essence a Pākehā tragedy filmed and produced by Pākehā. But I wonder how much consultation went on with the families directly involved?

This film will further alienate Muslim Kiwis. And as much as I’d get a giggle out of seeing Rose Byrne with some Hollywood style prosthetic teeth butchering a butchering accent, fuck this movie.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Hard to argue with much in that opinion piece.

Also fck that cnt sitting in a cell and his fan boys jerking themselves off that he got a film made about his dog act
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

The intentions behind the film seem right, promoting the Ardern response as the way forward for unity, etc. But it is all a bit too soon and it may never feel totally the right thing to do.

The producers will be very determined now with all the controversy around it. Clearly a lot of people are interested.

Would love to see Rose Byrne play Jacinda. :nod:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Far too soon for me.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:07 am The intentions behind the film seem right, promoting the Ardern response as the way forward for unity, etc. But it is all a bit too soon and it may never feel totally the right thing to do.
She showed greater compassion than most leaders would have, but listening to Muslim Kiwis nothing substantial has come from the immediate showing of across NZ solidarity.

Picking up on comments from the last 24 hours, I think the majority of Muslims will find offence in the angle this film is intending. I will listen to their opinions on this above all others.
naki

Post by naki »

The blood is still drying FFS. I'm sure that this will be done sensitively and accurately and will be in no way exploitative and offensively melodramatic.

Andrew Niccol hasn't made a decent film in a while so I'm sure it won't suck on a purely cinematic level either.

Can't think of many non-documentary films that ever get this kind of thing right when the wounds are still so fresh. Maybe United 93? Even that was at least a half-decade after the event (and looked more like a documentary anyway).
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

mr bungle wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:27 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:07 am The intentions behind the film seem right, promoting the Ardern response as the way forward for unity, etc. But it is all a bit too soon and it may never feel totally the right thing to do.
She showed greater compassion than most leaders would have, but listening to Muslim Kiwis nothing substantial has come from the immediate showing of across NZ solidarity.

Picking up on comments from the last 24 hours, I think the majority of Muslims will find offence in the angle this film is intending. I will listen to their opinions on this above all others.
Also it's pretty consistent with Muslim practice (I think) to not want to view its world through a western lens. We should respect that.

To your first point, it's true Jacinda Ardern has not yet brought about World Peace and she should rightly be criticised for that. :roll:
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:04 am

Also it's pretty consistent with Muslim practice (I think) to not want to view its world through a western lens. We should respect that.

To your first point, it's true Jacinda Ardern has not yet brought about World Peace and she should rightly be criticised for that. :roll:
Bit oversensitive. Bungle's spot-on.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

koroke hangareka wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:49 am

Meh. Christchurch has a long white supremacist history. It's the racist capital of New Zealand. No-one's going to turn that ship around overnight, not even Jacinda Ardern.

Saying that 'nothing's changed' is more than a little churlish.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Man you're a fuckwit.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:59 am Man you're a fuckwit.
Muttonbirds sometimes makes sense, but when challenged always starts producing the literary equivalent of vomit.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

The people immediately effected are uneasy with this, don’t feel consulted and feel that little has changed. I that is enough for me to say, nope too soon and not appropriate.

As for Muttonbird’s comment, FOG’s response was appropriate.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

:D
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:55 am

Meh. Christchurch has a long white supremacist history. It's the racist capital of New Zealand. No-one's going to turn that ship around overnight, not even Jacinda Ardern.

I was meaning beyond her, wider society. But she certainly could be doing more as a government according to Muslim’s I’ve read. So many are living with lifelong injury and have minimal support. I personally connect to her compassion and the care and understanding she exhibits, I’m not anti Jacinda. But it’s Muslims who are saying she’s offered nowt more than hugs & hijabs.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

mr bungle wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:20 am :D
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:55 am

I was meaning beyond her, wider society. But she certainly could be doing more as a government according to Muslim’s I’ve read. So many are living with lifelong injury and have minimal support. I personally connect to her compassion and the care and understanding she exhibits, I’m not anti Jacinda. But it’s Muslims who are saying she’s offered nowt more than hugs & hijabs.
Ok. I had written something else in response to koroke hangareka's claim but got distracted, and having read this I won't post it.

I don't know enough about support available for the terror attack victims and survivors. It feels like no amount of support will be enough.

There's a case to be made that government agencies failed to identify the terrorist despite multiple opportunities, and that the government should therefore be liable for that.

It should be noted that this government has acted quickly to change laws around speech, intelligence, and guns to try to ensure they don't miss the next one. I imagine other governments would not have done this...
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Well, I don’t think any financier, let alone the government funding agency, is going to touch this with a barge pole now. Best for Basner to quietly drop this project and never speak of it again.
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:10 pm They are us

Should a film be made about the Chch mosque murders?

I recently went to Port Arthur. They mention the event, but they dont mention the gunman by name.

If you wanted to play the PM, rather than Rose Byrne what about home grown Mel Homer?

https://media-exp1.licdn.com/dms/image/ ... P-nVXRaQq4
Yet we ally with nations that have spend 100s of years, even to this day, invading, killing , bombing Muslims in their homelands and in some cases, like Australia, even take part
Rhinosaur

Post by Rhinosaur »

I drove through there an hour before to drop my boy off. I saw (a part) of the gunman's video. I've never been the same since...
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Rhinosaur wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:27 am I drove through there an hour before to drop my boy off. I saw (a part) of the gunman's video. I've never been the same since...
Must be unsettling as fvck.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

I missed it by a minute or two as I drove around the park to visit mum at park view .

Wish I would have had the guts to run the prick down if I’d had a chance .

Never watched the footage , thank God !
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

I was at a community meeting a month or so back where a bunch of those who had lost family members were at. They are still really only just getting over this. They do not need this film or this controversy. It's certainly got nothing to do with the PM for them, they're still struggling with dealing with hate towards the shooter. Much too soon.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Eugenius wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:46 pm I missed it by a minute or two as I drove around the park to visit mum at park view .

I didn't see the full footage thank goodness (although I know people who did) but Sky News were repeatedly showing edited footage of the incident throughout the initial coverage. They were showing the video the gunman had posted but cutting the shooting footage. But you certainly got the gist. You heard him speaking, driving around and watched him reloading with additional magazines he had in the boot of his car. Then bursting through the front door of one mosque. Absolutely appalling.

Agree with others that this movie is way too soon.
Dryden

Post by Dryden »

I have never had any faith in Hollywood. It is an industry that for decades was the only source of information for billions of people on Islam and Muslims, and what they saw were monsters marionetted on screen to sell cinema tickets.
https://youtu.be/HIPljGWGNt4
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Good to see both Ardern and Dalziel coming out against this and putting a healthier perspective on something that is way way to soon .

Obviously as PM Ardern has to be more diplomatic but Dalziel has come right out and said that the film makers simply aren’t welcome here .

Good !
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

booji boy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:14 pm Agree with others that this movie is way too soon.
I think those saying too soon miss the point of the angle the film producers wish to take, focusing on white reaction through the lens of Ardern will always be too soon for those in the Muslim community.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Always ?

Not what I’ve been told .

I worked with several who were either at the Mosque or had extended family and friends there . They still regard Ardern very highly , in spite of the sometimes clunky response after the fact .

Certainly there were about 2 dozen people directly involved in the attack at the after party of the last election ,

Talked to the guy that threw a discarded rifle through the terrorists car window , terrific bloke . Their incredible restraint and subsequent resilience makes me very proud to have them as members of our community .
Last edited by Eugenius on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Monkey Magic wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:47 pm Hard to argue with much in that opinion piece.
:nod:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Tehui wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:55 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:47 pm Hard to argue with much in that opinion piece.
:nod:
It's a seriously good piece.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Mate, Muslims find offence everywhere. No matter what the film makers say or when they release it, there will be complaints.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:18 am Mate, Muslims find offence everywhere. No matter what the film makers say or when they release it, there will be complaints.
Go away, mate.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

To soon for me too :?
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Eugenius wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:46 pm I missed it by a minute or two as I drove around the park to visit mum at park view .

If not for a last minute phone call I would have been driving past just as he was going in. As it was I got out in the brief period between the response arriving and them locking the whole area down. If I remember correctly I was the first to post here that something was up, which I did from my car on the side of the road while still wondering wtf was going on. I posted this on a thread originally titled "Something going down in Christchurch"
Armed police all Dean's ave. Closing road as I was leaving. Armed defenders team flew past me. And multiple other police vehicles going full guns as I drove out of the area.
It's still really quite vivid in my memory, and having also managed to avoid the video, that's just for minor images that our only really traumatic now in hindsight now that I know what led to them. I can only imaging what it's like for the victims and their families who experienced the true horrors.

So I will join the Hollywood can feck off club.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Can't imagine why anyone would watch the video. Or watch any news outlet which screened it. Type of people who enjoy MMA, I suppose.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:18 am

Mate, Muslims find offence everywhere. No matter what the film makers say or when they release it, there will be complaints.
Absolute nonsense and these type of generalizations don't help anyone. Some of these Muslims who were involved directly or lost loved ones are so devout in their beliefs that they have come out and stated that they forgive the gunman.

Can't imagine many people being able to say that after the crimes he committed.

Muslims are not all extremist fundamentalists.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Philippa Campbell, a producer who was working on They Are Us, the controversial film about Jacinda Ardern and the Christchurch terror attacks, has resigned.

She issued a statement to apologise for her involvement in the film.

“I’ve listened to the concerns raised over recent days and I have heard the strength of people’s views. I now agree that the events of March 15, 2019 are too raw for film at this time and do not wish to be involved with a project that is causing such distress,” Campbell said.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

mr bungle wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:29 pm Too soon? There is a huge backlash amongst the Muslim community and beyond that centering this on the PM’s leadership is just white saviourism.

They are us
with a title like that im not surprised.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

F**k off with that, Sandy.

Most Kiwis think this is wrong and smacks of Hollywoodism. Take your anti Muslim schtick somewhere it'll be appreciated.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:20 am

F**k off with that, Sandy.

Most Kiwis think this is wrong and smacks of Hollywoodism. Take your anti Muslim schtick somewhere it'll be appreciated.
If you’re correct about the film concept, very sensible of the Kiwis.

And you’re certainly correct in thinking Sandstorm should ram his comments up his arse.

Yeah I know you didn’t say that but your body language made it plain as day.