Congratulations Highlanders and Blues

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Congratulations Highlanders and Blues

Post by Ali's Choice »

Deserved finalists. It will be nice to have a different NZ team win a title for the first time since 2016.
JB1981

Re: Congratulations Highlanders and Blues

Post by JB1981 »

I take some heart from a South Island team being the first to qualify for the final :thumbup:
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Please don’t underestimate the ability of the Blues to fudge up at the last minute.
FujiKiwi

Post by FujiKiwi »

Thank you for your gracious post, AC. 👍. It's great to be in the final for the Trans-Tasman Super Rugby Tournament, the only competition that really matters.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Kiwi fan arrogance.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Considering the Crusaders and Chiefs were all but out of this after the first week they have done remarkably well to be in with a slight chance right at the death.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

For no specific reason, I find myself thinking of the Springboks 2007 World Cup win.
FujiKiwi

Post by FujiKiwi »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:45 am For no specific reason, I find myself thinking of the Springboks 2007 World Cup win.
How utterly random.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Yeah, they have been the most consistent teams in this comp and deserve a shot at the title. :thumbup:
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:45 am For no specific reason, I find myself thinking of the Springboks 2007 World Cup win.
I don’t know why but I have been pondering whether the Crusaders could be Halberg winners next year.

Auckman

Post by Auckman »

On the bright side, the Crusaders can now purchase good tickets to Eden Park to experience a final in a World Cup final stadium.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I just realised that my adult daughter was born a couple of months before the Blues won their last SR title. Her entire life has been lived in the void between Blues finals appearances.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Auckman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:22 am On the bright side, the Crusaders can now purchase good tickets to Eden Park to experience a final in a World Cup final stadium.
Enjoy the week. Hopefully your team doesn't choke. Will tickets be free for the final so that a decent crowd turns up?
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Good memories are what happy childhoods are all about. Ali’s daughter and my son were fortunate enough to be alive to witness the Blues defeat the British and Irish Lions in 2017. Only two SR teams on that tour beat the best of the northern hemisphere and the kids of the rugby world will have an opportunity to watch those two teams again at next week’s final.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 am
Auckman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:22 am On the bright side, the Crusaders can now purchase good tickets to Eden Park to experience a final in a World Cup final stadium.
Enjoy the week. Hopefully your team doesn't choke. Will tickets be free for the final so that a decent crowd turns up?
I’m sure whatever crowd rocks up, it’ll be the biggest crowd to a NZ Super Rugby final since 2003.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Surely not, I imagine it will sell out in seconds as loyal Blues fans flock to their first final in nearly 20 years.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

BlueThunder wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:49 am Image
:lol: :lol:
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am I just realised that my adult daughter was born a couple of months before the Blues won their last SR title. Her entire life has been lived in the void between Blues finals appearances.
Was that when you were still a Blues supporter. Must bring back warm memories for you.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:06 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am I just realised that my adult daughter was born a couple of months before the Blues won their last SR title. Her entire life has been lived in the void between Blues finals appearances.
Was that when you were still a Blues supporter. Must bring back warm memories for you.
He never was, it was when Williams played for the Crusaders.

It's just another condescending shite post from the board's OC.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Wignu wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:00 pm
kiwigreg369 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:06 am
He never was, it was when Williams played for the Crusaders.

It's just another condescending shite post from the board's OC.
I think he's just winding you up Wig. I like AC's posts most of the time... don't know the guy but he seems to have plenty of knowledge of the game, history, and understanding of how the board works... and he has been gracious here. I imagine I may or may not be so next week, depending on my Clansmen ;)
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

I am slightly embarassed as a kiwi rugby man, neither of the teams that made the Super Ao final could make it to a combined TT comp! :blush: How will we ever hold our heads up when chatting to Aus rugby people?? :uhoh:
Couch

Post by Couch »

This title kinda is meaningless because the Aussie teams are terrible overall, and we don't get a proper round robin.

My head's says Blues but I will be cheering on the Highlanders because I like what they have built as a team.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 am
:lol:

1 x $20 adult ticket can take 8 kids.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Saders fans are fortunate that I don't come across like a whiny bitch, as they are my second team alongside the Rebels.

So that makes what I am about to say all the more credible.

Neither the Blues or the Highlanders are the best rugby side in NZ.

The Crusaders are.

This is a weird comp where you had to shoot the lights out against the shit Aussie sides. The Blues and Landers managed to do that slightly better than the Saders.

It's no reflection on the Saders.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Jdawg in stating the obvious shocker x(

Tbf, it would’ve been great to have the Crusaders in the final. I reckon it would’ve sold out Eden Park. However, Highlanders are a tough enough challenge for the Blues and they did beat the Saders this year so they’re no mugs.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

JD - clearly it is a reflection on the Saders, or just fact, they didn’t do as well as the landers and the blues.

If it’s relevant I’m sure someone will do the home and aways to see which NZ team had it harder (about from the Chiefs).

But be it the lost bonus point vs the Force or Ennor dropping it plum the saders were not as good as the Blues or Landers over this comp.

Are they the best NZ team - yes, Super Ae showed that.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Auckman wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:55 pm Jdawg in stating the obvious shocker x(

Tbf, it would’ve been great to have the Crusaders in the final. I reckon it would’ve sold out Eden Park. However, Highlanders are a tough enough challenge for the Blues and they did beat the Saders this year so they’re no mugs.
You may say that, but you wouldn't know it looking at my Facebook feed right now.

A few friends pointing out that everyone was under the same rules, and the Crusaders apparently choked.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

The Blues didn’t have to play a SRA final, they got 3 home games and had an ideal draw with progressively harder opposition that helped them build confidence.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Whichever team wins it will be a feather in their cap.
But it will compare unfavourably with a real super rugby title.
5 weakened Aus sides instead of 3 or 4, and no Saffers.

It will still be no REAL titles since 2003 even should the Blues win.
Might remove the asterisk if the Highlanders win, just because.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

merlin the happy pig wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:40 am Whichever team wins it will be a feather in their cap.

The Clan have proven they can beat the Crusaders at home this year and would have to win a final away from home, having only played 2 home games in this competition compared to the Blues and Canes' 3. I think that's a fair effort for a bunch of worthy, hard-working South Islanders.

As for the Blues, well, discuss among yourselves how many asterisks would be appropriate. I'd propose to start the bidding at 3, one for not beating the Crusaders since 2014, one for not having to rest any All Blacks, one for having an extra home game, one for being from Auckland, but minus one for having an ex-Crusader as coach?
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

merlin the happy pig wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:40 am Whichever team wins it will be a feather in their cap.

The saffers would have won a game, a bit like some of the Aussie teams... :roll:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:44 am

The Clan have proven they can beat the Crusaders at home this year and would have to win a final away from home, having only played 2 home games in this competition compared to the Blues and Canes' 3. I think that's a fair effort for a bunch of worthy, hard-working South Islanders.

As for the Blues, well, discuss among yourselves how many asterisks would be appropriate. I'd propose to start the bidding at 3, one for not beating the Crusaders since 2014, one for not having to rest any All Blacks, one for having an extra home game, one for being from Auckland, but minus one for having an ex-Crusader as coach?
I'm supporting the Highlanders as they have some Magpies, but if they lose I wont mind too much, I'm loving the salty tears from Crusaders fans all over various forums and social media (yeah, we know, all 400K of you are just trolling and you don't "really" care ;) ) andI hope the Blues have a large televised parade of they win.

Plus, it would be good for at least one other ex-Crusader player coach to be successful other than Razor, the failure list is getting long, made worse by the fact they're filtering down to schools rugby ruining subsequent generations.