New British News channels? One goooonnnnne

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

New British News channels? One goooonnnnne

Post by eldanielfire »

Well in British political News, Andrew Neil's new News Channel GB News launches at 8pm today. If nothing else it's got rid of Rupert Murdoch's new news channel which is now scrapped I believe due to GB News getting all the publicity and attention. If nothing else we certainly don't need another Murdoch news outlet. Ideally we wouldn't have any Murdoch news outlets :thumbup:

BTW, I remembered because the usual crazies on social media are making their usual false claims and therefore promoting it heavily :lol:

I genuinely don't understand the attacks on Neil, they are in such stark contrast to his entire journalistic career and what we see. He has a long history of calling out those who lean right and left. It's how he's come to be trusted and popular as political public figure

But there are "progressive activists" who seem hell bent determined to claim he's making a channel to sprout right wing hate speech. Regardless of the fact he was fired for reporting on his own boss Rupert Murdoch, attacked the Thatcher government on elitism, called out the current Conservative PM Boris and humiliated Ben Sharipo, all of whom are assumed to be in his political wing. He has even hired an ex-Labour MP to present on the new channel.

None of this of course has stopped his 'haters' (for want of a better term) from sprouting disinformation ahead of time where no facts are in place. But as someone who highly regards Neil's work I'll give it a try.
DragsterDriver

Re: New British News channels? One goooonnnnne

Post by DragsterDriver »

I like him, doesn’t matter who you are if you’ve not prepared properly he’ll take great pleasure in pulling your pants over your head. He doesn’t quit either.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Ben Shapiro fans still fúcking hate him.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

bessantj wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:16 pm Ben Shapiro fans still fúcking hate him.
Their problem is that facts don't care about their feelings!
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

EDB. None of this changes the fact that he, like you, is at heart a RWNJ.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:21 pm EDB. None of this changes the fact that he, like you, is at heart a RWNJ.
You really are mad.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:10 pm Well in British political News, Andrew Neil's new News Channel GB News launches at 8pm today. If nothing else it's got rid of Rupert Murdoch's new news channel which is now scrapped I believe due to GB News getting all the publicity and attention. If nothing else we certainly don't need another Murdoch news outlet. Ideally we wouldn't have any Murdoch news outlets :thumbup:

BTW, I remembered because the usual crazies on social media are making their usual false claims and therefore promoting it heavily :lol:

I genuinely don't understand the attacks on Neil, they are in such stark contrast to his entire journalistic career and what we see. He has a long history of calling out those who lean right and left. It's how he's come to be trusted and popular as political public figure

But there are "progressive activists" who seem hell bent determined to claim he's making a channel to sprout right wing hate speech. Regardless of the fact he was fired for reporting on his own boss Rupert Murdoch, attacked the Thatcher government on elitism, called out the current Conservative PM Boris and humiliated Ben Sharipo, all of whom are assumed to be in his political wing. He has even hired an ex-Labour MP to present on the new channel.

None of this of course has stopped his 'haters' (for want of a better term) from sprouting disinformation ahead of time where no facts are in place. But as someone who highly regards Neil's work I'll give it a try.
Stop Funding Hate have made them look very silly (if not intolerant) as it has shown that their objection isn't against "hate" but "people who disagree with them"
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 pm Stop Funding Hate have made them look very silly (if not intolerant) as it has shown that their objection isn't against "hate" but "people who disagree with them"
Almost as if they are a partisan political group with an agenda masquerading as something else.....
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:31 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 pm Stop Funding Hate have made them look very silly (if not intolerant) as it has shown that their objection isn't against "hate" but "people who disagree with them"
Almost as if they are a partisan political group with an agenda masquerading as something else.....
Sorry should have said made "themselves" look very silly.

Stop Funding are perfectly entitled to target GB News but they should not pretend that it is anything to do with "hate" they should really call themselves "Stop Funding People That We Disagree With"

Their current campaign demeans the word "Hate"
C69

Post by C69 »

bessantj wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:16 pm Ben Shapiro fans still fúcking hate him.
I think he is shit, but the Shapiro interview is class.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Neil’s home studio look shabby for a channel launch.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

I see the WWF and national lottery are advertising with them!

I wonder if that is a subtle dig at Stop Funding Hate from GB News

https://twitter.com/AKAMaryPalmer/statu ... 4274595842

"Oh! All those people boycotting the advertisers on GB News can no longer play the lottery, use Deliveroo or support the WWF!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://twitter.com/Ne3Steve

Corn Flakes are Boycotted
National Lottery Boycotted
Ovo Energy Boycotted
Pandas Boycotted
WWF direct debits cancelled
Deliveroo cancelled
Premier Inn Closed
Amazon cancelled

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Defo looks like a wind up from GBNews. Show how much impact Stop Funding "Hate" really have as all these advertisers would have known all about Stop Funding "Hate"
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:26 pm I see the WWF and national lottery are advertising with them!

"Oh! All those people boycotting the advertisers on GB News can no longer play the lottery, use Deliveroo or support the WWF!"

Ovo Energy Boycotted
Pandas Boycotted
Deliveroo cancelled
Premier Inn Closed
Amazon cancelled

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Defo looks like a wind up from GBNews. Show how much impact Stop Funding "Hate" really have as all these advertisers would have known all about Stop Funding "Hate"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, deffo a piss take.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:40 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:26 pm I see the WWF and national lottery are advertising with them!

Ovo Energy Boycotted
Pandas Boycotted
Deliveroo cancelled
Premier Inn Closed
Amazon cancelled

Yes, deffo a piss take.
Also the lefties can;t use Pinterest, Virgin, Octopus, Amex, Benadryl, Costa Coffee, Co-Op, Weetabix, Listerine and Nivea :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by mdaclarke on Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:04 pm Neil’s home studio look shabby for a channel launch.
Wait until you see their high tech and modern weather reporting:

Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

The tech is patchy, but I am liking it so far.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:05 pm The tech is patchy, but I am liking it so far.

AD-BLOCKER detected
Please disable your ad-blocking software to watch this video.

GTF out with that shite
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Glaston wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:10 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:05 pm The tech is patchy, but I am liking it so far.

AD-BLOCKER detected

GTF out with that shite
That's very Metro
towny

Post by towny »

Glaston wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:10 pm

AD-BLOCKER detected

GTF out with that shite
:lol:

Angry at the free stuff not being up to standard?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Geoff Norcott@GeoffNorcott
·
1h
Already seen an advert for World Wildlife Fund.
Cancelled.
#GBNews
#GammonPandas
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Definitely had a few teething problems but I like what I am seeing from an editorial POV.

Not 100% sold on Dan Wootton, he likes the sound of his own voice too much, talking over his guests.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Had a 15 minute watch this morning before leaving for work, horrible immigrants and taking the knee is culture wars, so perfect for the Daily Mail crowd.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

I'll have to give it a go. It's a laugh innit
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Sefton wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:24 am Had a 15 minute watch this morning before leaving for work, horrible immigrants and taking the knee is culture wars, so perfect for the Daily Mail crowd.
I'm shocked that the "middle centre, balanced old school journo" is pandering to that crowd, shocked.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

I'm liking it, but they need to sort out the sound issues.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

mdaclarke wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:29 am I'm liking it, but they need to sort out the sound issues.
Wired did an interesting take on it:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/gb-news-launch

Nobody will watch GB News. That’s the point
The channel is aimed at moving the dial of British politics – even if no one watches, its impact will be felt elsewhere

Nobody will watch GB News. Thats the point

Will GB News – the new television channel launching today – provide the antidote to the BBC’s woke propaganda, as its founders contend? Or will it prove, as some critics fear, the final Americanisation of UK news, emboldening the reactionary right? Or both? And will anyone watch it? Around 6,500 hours a year of “original news, opinion and debate” are planned: programmes range from a primetime news and interview programme with GB News and Spectator chair Andrew Neil, called Andrew Neil, to cultural commentator Andrew Doyle's Free Speech Nation, “a fearless filleting of the country's thorniest debates.”

On paper, GB News is an anachronism. It’s anchor-driven television, available for free, funded by ads. It’s hard not to question this model’s commercial prospects, particularly when it is compared to News UK TV, which was a new, Murdoch-owned rolling news service that was canned earlier this year. It looked, in lots of ways, less ambitious than GB News. It would have benefited from News UK’s existing resources: its journalists, its general infrastructure and its cross-promotion across Murdoch’s papers and radio stations. “That combination of advantages would have made you think that in purely commercial terms, the News UK offer was much lower risk than GB News,” says Patrick Barwise, emeritus professor of management and marketing at London Business School.

But, in a statement, News UK CEO Rebekah Brooks explained that while there was demand for “alternative news provision”, the costs of running a rolling news channel “considerable” and, as a result, the project was not commercially viable. “We need to launch the right products for the digital age,” Brooks concluded.

This digital element is probably less dramatic than Brooks is suggesting. The idea that television news is dead has been bandied around for a while – in 1995, Nicholas Negroponte, head of the MIT Media Lab, claimed that the television industry would disappear by the early millennium – and tends to focus on innovation rather than technology-in-use. People still watch television news; they watch other forms of news, too. “People exaggerate the extent and speed of these changes enormously,” says Barwise. “If it was as clear cut as she’s implying, then why were they looking at it in the first place? So these are clearly fairly finely judged, finely balanced judgments with a great deal of uncertainty.”

Nevertheless, this trend is directionally true, and, as Alex Barker points out, most news channels in Europe lose money or are state-supported. Sky News, for instance, the last new channel launched in the UK, operates at an annual loss of around £40 million. At the very least, Murdoch’s decision may be indicative of the motivations behind GB News. “It reinforces my view that GB News is a political project, not a commercial one,” says Barwise.

Fox is another misleading comparison, both commercially and politically. The economics are different, for one. GB News has emphasised a lean model: it aims to keep its annual running costs to just £25m, with budget directed primarily at the salaries of star anchors. Fox operates a similarly slim model, but crucially, as James O'Malley points out, it has recourse to sponsorship deals and cable fees, which GB News will not.

As for the political angle, if Ofcom does its job, Fox’s level of extreme partisanship isn’t going to fly in the UK. GB News’s lineup highlights this – it balances more extreme personalities, like The Sun’s Dan Wootton, with relatively reserved anchors like the BBC’s Simon McCoy. Consider how different in tone Sky and Fox News are, despite Murdoch owning both. And remember that Fox News actually had a UK channel, broadcast in Britain, on Sky, until 2017, which got in trouble with Ofcom over its coverage of Trump. It was eventually taken off air due to poor ratings.

Most Popular

It’s time to ditch Chrome

BY KATE O'FLAHERTY

Rimac’s all-electric Nevera hypercar is unbelievable

BY JEREMY WHITE

The mRNA vaccine revolution is just beginning

BY STEPHEN BURANYI

What the Nintendo Switch Pro needs to succeed

BY MATT KAMEN

“Fox News has been happy to ally itself blatantly and overtly, with a very hard right form of politics, even to the point of being perfectly happy to distort the truth,” says Steven Barnett, a professor of communications at the University of Westminster. “I don't think GB News, even if it wanted to, would get away with that. Because I think as well as rules on impartiality, we have rules on accuracy. And I think there would be an outcry.”

Despite this constriction, GB News will likely still lean heavily into the culture wars. The channel was set up for this very reason: Andrew Cole, one of the company’s co-founders, once labelled the BBC “the most biased propaganda machine in the world”; Andrew Neil has announced segments called ‘Media Watch’ and ‘Woke Watch’. GB News’s success will turn on the contention that the BBC (and Sky News and ITV News and Channel Four News, for that matter) have grown so woke that they have alienated a large portion of the UK population, located particularly outside of London.

It’s not clear that this is true. A recent survey, carried out by the Reuters Institute, found that the BBC, if anything, has slightly higher reach (74 to 69 per cent) on the right than on the left. The BBC is also equally highly trusted among both the left and the right, (60 per cent) and is trusted by more people on the right than the Daily Mail (43 per cent) or The Sun (23 per cent), and as widely trusted on the right in the UK as the Telegraph (58 per cent), the Times (61 per cent) or the Financial Times (62 per cent). Interestingly, the only group the BBC struggles to reach are those who don’t know whether they are left or right wing, a group GB News could theoretically target.

Another recent study by The Policy Institute at King’s College London and Ipsos Mori, this time on the culture wars itself, found that the UK public are as likely to think ‘woke’ is a compliment as an insult, and most likely to say they don’t know what it means. Despite what you might read on Twitter, most have heard little to nothing about the phrases “cancel culture” or “identity politics”, despite huge surges in media coverage over the past five years.

Another study by Reuters shows that the left is more concerned with bias in the media than the right, with trust particularly collapsing during Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership of the Labour party. Despite appearances, the UK right feel relatively well catered for by the British media. “I think the number of people in the UK who want that kind of prejudice on TV news over and over and over, is, proportionately, much, much smaller than in the US,” says Barwise.

All of this leads to one conclusion – GB News will struggle to find a live audience. But its business model, which relies on a membership system where super-fans pay a monthly subscription fee giving them bonus content including access to star presenters, suggests this may not matter. And if Cole truly believes that the BBC is a propaganda machine, combatting this tyranny may be a higher priority than creating a profitable business. GB News could run at a loss and still be supported. Representatives of GB News declined to be interviewed for this article.

If GB News aims to stir up the culture war, yet will have low viewing figures, then it will have to gain relevance via social media. LBC is the best comparison here: its social media clips can have an outsized effect on the public conversation that spans beyond its loyal listenership. In short, expect to see lots of viral clips of Andrew Neil vivisecting underprepared leftists over the coming months. “I’m sure that they will do everything they can to be as provocative as possible, because I think that their only means of attracting an audience will be to provoke and use social media as a way in,” says Angela Phillips, who teaches journalism and journalism studies at Goldsmiths University.

Most Popular

BY KATE O'FLAHERTY

BY JEREMY WHITE

BY STEPHEN BURANYI

BY MATT KAMEN

Ultimately, explains Rasmus Nielsen, director of the Reuters Institute, generating revenue has fallen out of fashion in the media industry. Today, reach is what matters. Yet relying on social media, and the whims of the algorithm, remains a risky proposition. “It also leaves them with a challenge: how to ensure that that distributed reach on social media and elsewhere makes a meaningful contribution to the bottom line, and to their sustainability,” Nielsen says.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:31 am
mdaclarke wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:29 am I'm liking it, but they need to sort out the sound issues.
Wired did an interesting take on it:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/gb-news-launch

Nobody will watch GB News. That’s the point
The channel is aimed at moving the dial of British politics – even if no one watches, its impact will be felt elsewhere

Nobody will watch GB News. Thats the point

Will GB News – the new television channel launching today – provide the antidote to the BBC’s woke propaganda, as its founders contend? Or will it prove, as some critics fear, the final Americanisation of UK news, emboldening the reactionary right? Or both? And will anyone watch it? Around 6,500 hours a year of “original news, opinion and debate” are planned: programmes range from a primetime news and interview programme with GB News and Spectator chair Andrew Neil, called Andrew Neil, to cultural commentator Andrew Doyle's Free Speech Nation, “a fearless filleting of the country's thorniest debates.”

On paper, GB News is an anachronism. It’s anchor-driven television, available for free, funded by ads. It’s hard not to question this model’s commercial prospects, particularly when it is compared to News UK TV, which was a new, Murdoch-owned rolling news service that was canned earlier this year. It looked, in lots of ways, less ambitious than GB News. It would have benefited from News UK’s existing resources: its journalists, its general infrastructure and its cross-promotion across Murdoch’s papers and radio stations. “That combination of advantages would have made you think that in purely commercial terms, the News UK offer was much lower risk than GB News,” says Patrick Barwise, emeritus professor of management and marketing at London Business School.

But, in a statement, News UK CEO Rebekah Brooks explained that while there was demand for “alternative news provision”, the costs of running a rolling news channel “considerable” and, as a result, the project was not commercially viable. “We need to launch the right products for the digital age,” Brooks concluded.

This digital element is probably less dramatic than Brooks is suggesting. The idea that television news is dead has been bandied around for a while – in 1995, Nicholas Negroponte, head of the MIT Media Lab, claimed that the television industry would disappear by the early millennium – and tends to focus on innovation rather than technology-in-use. People still watch television news; they watch other forms of news, too. “People exaggerate the extent and speed of these changes enormously,” says Barwise. “If it was as clear cut as she’s implying, then why were they looking at it in the first place? So these are clearly fairly finely judged, finely balanced judgments with a great deal of uncertainty.”

Nevertheless, this trend is directionally true, and, as Alex Barker points out, most news channels in Europe lose money or are state-supported. Sky News, for instance, the last new channel launched in the UK, operates at an annual loss of around £40 million. At the very least, Murdoch’s decision may be indicative of the motivations behind GB News. “It reinforces my view that GB News is a political project, not a commercial one,” says Barwise.

Fox is another misleading comparison, both commercially and politically. The economics are different, for one. GB News has emphasised a lean model: it aims to keep its annual running costs to just £25m, with budget directed primarily at the salaries of star anchors. Fox operates a similarly slim model, but crucially, as James O'Malley points out, it has recourse to sponsorship deals and cable fees, which GB News will not.

As for the political angle, if Ofcom does its job, Fox’s level of extreme partisanship isn’t going to fly in the UK. GB News’s lineup highlights this – it balances more extreme personalities, like The Sun’s Dan Wootton, with relatively reserved anchors like the BBC’s Simon McCoy. Consider how different in tone Sky and Fox News are, despite Murdoch owning both. And remember that Fox News actually had a UK channel, broadcast in Britain, on Sky, until 2017, which got in trouble with Ofcom over its coverage of Trump. It was eventually taken off air due to poor ratings.

Most Popular

BY KATE O'FLAHERTY

BY JEREMY WHITE

BY STEPHEN BURANYI

BY MATT KAMEN

“Fox News has been happy to ally itself blatantly and overtly, with a very hard right form of politics, even to the point of being perfectly happy to distort the truth,” says Steven Barnett, a professor of communications at the University of Westminster. “I don't think GB News, even if it wanted to, would get away with that. Because I think as well as rules on impartiality, we have rules on accuracy. And I think there would be an outcry.”

Despite this constriction, GB News will likely still lean heavily into the culture wars. The channel was set up for this very reason: Andrew Cole, one of the company’s co-founders, once labelled the BBC “the most biased propaganda machine in the world”; Andrew Neil has announced segments called ‘Media Watch’ and ‘Woke Watch’. GB News’s success will turn on the contention that the BBC (and Sky News and ITV News and Channel Four News, for that matter) have grown so woke that they have alienated a large portion of the UK population, located particularly outside of London.

It’s not clear that this is true. A recent survey, carried out by the Reuters Institute, found that the BBC, if anything, has slightly higher reach (74 to 69 per cent) on the right than on the left. The BBC is also equally highly trusted among both the left and the right, (60 per cent) and is trusted by more people on the right than the Daily Mail (43 per cent) or The Sun (23 per cent), and as widely trusted on the right in the UK as the Telegraph (58 per cent), the Times (61 per cent) or the Financial Times (62 per cent). Interestingly, the only group the BBC struggles to reach are those who don’t know whether they are left or right wing, a group GB News could theoretically target.

Another recent study by The Policy Institute at King’s College London and Ipsos Mori, this time on the culture wars itself, found that the UK public are as likely to think ‘woke’ is a compliment as an insult, and most likely to say they don’t know what it means. Despite what you might read on Twitter, most have heard little to nothing about the phrases “cancel culture” or “identity politics”, despite huge surges in media coverage over the past five years.

Another study by Reuters shows that the left is more concerned with bias in the media than the right, with trust particularly collapsing during Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership of the Labour party. Despite appearances, the UK right feel relatively well catered for by the British media. “I think the number of people in the UK who want that kind of prejudice on TV news over and over and over, is, proportionately, much, much smaller than in the US,” says Barwise.

All of this leads to one conclusion – GB News will struggle to find a live audience. But its business model, which relies on a membership system where super-fans pay a monthly subscription fee giving them bonus content including access to star presenters, suggests this may not matter. And if Cole truly believes that the BBC is a propaganda machine, combatting this tyranny may be a higher priority than creating a profitable business. GB News could run at a loss and still be supported. Representatives of GB News declined to be interviewed for this article.

If GB News aims to stir up the culture war, yet will have low viewing figures, then it will have to gain relevance via social media. LBC is the best comparison here: its social media clips can have an outsized effect on the public conversation that spans beyond its loyal listenership. In short, expect to see lots of viral clips of Andrew Neil vivisecting underprepared leftists over the coming months. “I’m sure that they will do everything they can to be as provocative as possible, because I think that their only means of attracting an audience will be to provoke and use social media as a way in,” says Angela Phillips, who teaches journalism and journalism studies at Goldsmiths University.

Most Popular

BY KATE O'FLAHERTY

BY JEREMY WHITE

BY STEPHEN BURANYI

BY MATT KAMEN

Ultimately, explains Rasmus Nielsen, director of the Reuters Institute, generating revenue has fallen out of fashion in the media industry. Today, reach is what matters. Yet relying on social media, and the whims of the algorithm, remains a risky proposition. “It also leaves them with a challenge: how to ensure that that distributed reach on social media and elsewhere makes a meaningful contribution to the bottom line, and to their sustainability,” Nielsen says.
My understanding is that it's backers are extremely wealthy and fabulously well connected with companies like Discovery having a stake. Maybe a reason why they are getting so many major advertisers despite Stop Funding "Hate" 's attempts. It would make my year if Twitter started advertising on it!!

As predicted the Guardian gave the show 1 star (as well as Jeremy Clarkson's show, the Guardian is so predicable and has zero self awareness!)
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

mdaclarke wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:39 amIt would make my year if Twitter started advertising on it!!
Really? Not a quick cure for Covid and everything getting back to normal? :?
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Finally.

A safe space for those who had endured years of being silently overwhelmed by woke cancel culture and living in fear of expressing their righteous dissent.

:thumbup:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

I haven't watched a minute of it bar the video put out of Andrew Neil's opening monologue on social.

However I am bemused at how it's been trending since this time yesterday with people praising it and those who were disgusted with the content and been saying so for many months before it ever aired.

I'm sure Andrew Neil is delighted with all this continuous publicity for his new News channel which will drive viewers and subscribers, even if much of it keeps coming from people swearing to boycott it. Almost as if he knew exactly what the reaction would be.
Blackrock Bullet

Why didn’t Neil leverage off the Spectator and launch based on that?

The production looks really poor, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t bang. Getting good social media traction is key these days. They could end up getting demonitised though. Will small tv audiences make it viable? I don’t buy that investors are happy to sit back and watch losses run up.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The production is dreadful. The whole thing looks as if it “smells”.

Ganna need to improve quick.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:36 pm Why didn’t Neil leverage off the Spectator and launch based on that?
Not sure he's allowed. He doesn't own it. Also the station si reported to cost 25 million a year and Spectator, while the countries best selling political magazine, sells 100k. As it's likely to run at a loss for a while they don't have that sort of cash or buffer.

Remember Sky News runs at a loss of 40 million every year.

The production looks really poor, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t bang. Getting good social media traction is key these days. They could end up getting demonitised though. Will small tv audiences make it viable? I don’t buy that investors are happy to sit back and watch losses run up.
As Is aid above GB News has a total running costs of £15 million a year. I think i read it had 50 millioj to start-up. Sky News runs at a loss of £40 million. Why investors subscribe to these models I don't know. It's an expensive If it failed then it would utterly screw the Spectator, perhaps sink it.
Blackrock Bullet

Sky News began in a different era - an era when it was trying to be a competitor for CNN. CNN to this day can be profitable due to global carriage. Sky News has never been able to get that worldwide revenue model going, but has been a political football during many of the takeover discussions. The plan for NBC Sky World News was to try and finally get a slice of that money.

I just don't buy that investors will pay for this indefinitely. It needs to do well on social media to get much influence.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:31 pm Sky News began in a different era - an era when it was trying to be a competitor for CNN. CNN to this day can be profitable due to global carriage. Sky News has never been able to get that worldwide revenue model going, but has been a political football during many of the takeover discussions. The plan for NBC Sky World News was to try and finally get a slice of that money.

I just don't buy that investors will pay for this indefinitely. It needs to do well on social media to get much influence.
It seems Neil plans to do something different. He said he's not trying to follow the CNN/Sky News model exactly with rolling news. But to provide an alternative with different assumptions from the rest. How that can or will be profitable we'll see. But he explains it to the Spectator here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzwx6SST5xU
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

I see the Guardian have awarded GB News a one star review. I guess it's the equivalent of sending The Vegan Society to review 'Big Joes Seal Pup Bash Rib and Steak House'
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:31 pm Sky News began in a different era - an era when it was trying to be a competitor for CNN. CNN to this day can be profitable due to global carriage. Sky News has never been able to get that worldwide revenue model going, but has been a political football during many of the takeover discussions. The plan for NBC Sky World News was to try and finally get a slice of that money.

CNN, only watched accidently by folk in midrange business hotels who are scrolling through the channels to find some late night east European art house films
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

danny_fitz wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:49 pm

CNN, only watched accidently by folk in midrange business hotels who are scrolling through the channels to find some late night east European art house films
🤣🤣

And there, but for the grace of God, goes all of us.
Blackrock Bullet

danny_fitz wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:49 pm

Definitely an element of that, can be lucrative though.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

danny_fitz wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:47 pm I see the Guardian have awarded GB News a one star review. I guess it's the equivalent of sending The Vegan Society to review 'Big Joes Seal Pup Bash Rib and Steak House'