Jeff's All New and Frustrated Lions Ratings v SA (Test 3)

All things Rugby
sorCrer

Re: Jeff's All New and Frustrated Lions Ratings v SA (Test 3)

Post by sorCrer »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:12 am
sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:21 am
I think it’s worth stating that I think the Lions lost this tour, rather than the Boks won it

:lol:
Don't think there's anything particularly outrageous in that statement. Just saying that thr Lions left a lot of points out there...a lot more than SA.
Jeff, the Lions were 'lucky' to win the first test against a tiring untrained Bok team away from the Highveld with no home crowd and 2 disallowed tries, got smashed in the 2nd and beaten in the 3rd.

At no stage did the Lions look like winning the series. Throw in the A game and effectively it's a 3-1 drubbing.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Clive wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:57 am played much better yesterday the Lions were the better side and should have been out of sight half time, Liam Williams is an utter cock and always has been, there is an air of arrogance about him, he thinks he's superstar and falls way short.
Tom Curry penalty when the lions were driving toward the line was criminal, taking out the SA player who was nowhere near the drive was idiotic so 14 points went begging, SA rode their luck and there we have it.
But the home nations will have another crack at them in November and I expect better success.
The Loins were shit, Clive. Particularly AWJ, the moment he came back on tour, I knew the Boks had it in the bag. :thumbup:
C69

Post by C69 »

A Lions tour scarred by political selections, terrible tactics and a far too conservative coach.
7 English players in the pack :lol

Ffs
Clive

Post by Clive »

sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:08 am
Clive wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:57 am played much better yesterday the Lions were the better side and should have been out of sight half time, Liam Williams is an utter cock and always has been, there is an air of arrogance about him, he thinks he's superstar and falls way short.
Tom Curry penalty when the lions were driving toward the line was criminal, taking out the SA player who was nowhere near the drive was idiotic so 14 points went begging, SA rode their luck and there we have it.
But the home nations will have another crack at them in November and I expect better success.
The Loins were shit, Clive. Particularly AWJ, the moment he came back on tour, I knew the Boks had it in the bag. :thumbup:
The Lions threw that game yesterday and should have been over the hill and far away half time, to say you knew it was in the bag is utter bullshit, still you have the bragging rights and whereas most of your forum colleges are maintaining some respect and dignity over the series win, you choose otherwise.
trouble with that is always will come back to bite you on the arse.
nardol

Post by nardol »

rewatching the game... nonenof garlands revert to my known and trusted selections paid off.

Personally for me the AWJ selection I just don't understand at all. lack of power in scrum and maul, passive tackles and a lineout with nothing more than par - if that.

The coaching set up need to take the majority of the flack though. Tactics all wrong, albeit enforced by SA who drag you down into a sludge fest with pleasure. Selecting a coaching set up that to my knowledge have never coached a winning side in South Africa going in to this tour should have been a red flag to start with.
Last edited by nardol on Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Clive wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:19 am
The Lions threw that game yesterday and should have been over the hill and far away half time, to say you knew it was in the bag is utter bullshit, still you have the bragging rights and whereas most of your forum colleges are maintaining some respect and dignity over the series win, you choose otherwise.
trouble with that is always will come back to bite you on the arse.
Mostly just trolling you Clive because you are one of the most graceless tossers on here. The boreds very own AWJ if you like.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Can you imagine only getting within 4 points of losing to that shit though ? At home, with a world champions team.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

bimboman wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:53 am

Can you imagine only getting within 4 points of losing to that shit though ? At home, with a world champions team.
An interesting alternative view there Bimbo
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Frodder wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:54 am

It's Bimbo, he'll take a contrarian position on an early morning shite and claim it didn't happen.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:02 am

It's Bimbo, he'll take a contrarian position on an early morning shite and claim it didn't happen.

I’m right though, surely you beat “shit” by 20 points or more a game not scratch a single 75th minute penalty for victory, unless you’re just a little bit less shit.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:05 am
Jeff the Bear wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:12 am
sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:21 am
I think it’s worth stating that I think the Lions lost this tour, rather than the Boks won it

:lol:
Don't think there's anything particularly outrageous in that statement. Just saying that thr Lions left a lot of points out there...a lot more than SA.
Jeff, the Lions were 'lucky' to win the first test against a tiring untrained Bok team away from the Highveld with no home crowd and 2 disallowed tries, got smashed in the 2nd and beaten in the 3rd.

At no stage did the Lions look like winning the series. Throw in the A game and effectively it's a 3-1 drubbing.
'At no stage' :lol: :lol: :lol:
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

bimboman wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:18 am
sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:02 am

I’m right though, surely you beat “shit” by 20 points or more a game not scratch a single 75th minute penalty for victory, unless you’re just a little bit less shit.
i.e. better :nod:
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

The english :lol:
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

bimboman wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:22 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:17 am You’re doing Furlong dirty with less than a 9/10.
Cleared rucks, held up an underpowered scrum with Itoje and Grandpa in the row. Carried with bite everytime damaging tacklers.

He’s the hero we don’t deserve.

Yip, AWJ within a point :lol:
AWJ has the most effective plot armour i've ever seen in sports. Not many come out of this with credit, but how AWJ is always an automatic 6 and above every single time....at some point reputation has to be left aside.

Wasn't our worst player by any means, but falling into tackles and having no actual impact at the breakdown, in tackles, in carries etc you want more from captain and lock
hermie

Post by hermie »

Only 1 pt the difference between Curry and Conan is wrong for me. I think Conan comes away from this tour with massive credit. Most metres of any forward, a lot of those hard yards in traffic. No missed tackles or penalties conceded across the 3 Tests. Plus a couple of offloads. Where as Curry just seemed to give away penalties. 3 in the first Test (could have been a lot more) and 3 I think again yesterday. I know you want your 7s to play on the edge but his street smarts just aren't there yet.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

hermie wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:35 pm Only 1 pt the difference between Curry and Conan is wrong for me. I think Conan comes away from this tour with massive credit. Most metres of any forward, a lot of those hard yards in traffic. No missed tackles or penalties conceded across the 3 Tests. Plus a couple of offloads. Where as Curry just seemed to give away penalties. 3 in the first Test (could have been a lot more) and 3 I think again yesterday. I know you want your 7s to play on the edge but his street smarts just aren't there yet.
Curry is even more responsible than Williams for the Lions losing yesterday. Whereas an argument can be made for Williams not passing, what Curry did was so stupid as to defy belief. U14s would be dropped for doing the same.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

When the Boks visit England in December they will have to deal with Underhill. Lions could have done with him
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:13 pm When the Boks visit England in December they will have to deal with Underhill. Lions could have done with him
England, Ireland and possibly Wales all should be better teams than the lions.
C69

Post by C69 »

Wales and Ireland yes, but it the powderpuff Saes forwards that failed to fromt up yesterday.
How many Englishers were in the pack at the end?
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

C69 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:58 pm Wales and Ireland yes, but it the powderpuff Saes forwards that failed to fromt up yesterday.
Thats the RWC finalist pack, no welshers needed.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Glaston wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:02 pm
C69 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:58 pm Wales and Ireland yes, but it the powderpuff Saes forwards that failed to fromt up yesterday.

The sef effrican final was vs Wales. The English match was a forgone conclusion tbf.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Derwyn wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:08 pm

The sef effrican final was vs Wales. The English match was a forgone conclusion tbf.
Thats the country with how many wins on South African soil ????????????????????
C69

Post by C69 »

:thumbdown:
Well something was clearly needed :lol:
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

nardol wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:42 am rewatching the game... nonenof garlands revert to my known and trusted selections paid off.

Personally for me the AWJ selection I just don't understand at all. lack of power in scrum and maul, passive tackles and a lineout with nothing more than par - if that.

The coaching set up need to take the majority of the flack though. Tactics all wrong, albeit enforced by SA who drag you down into a sludge fest with pleasure. Selecting a coaching set up that to my knowledge have never coached a winning side in South Africa going in to this tour should have been a red flag to start with.
This
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Glaston wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:13 pm

We won a couple of games at RWC 1995
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

Hawk97 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:57 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:17 am You’re doing Furlong dirty with less than a 9/10.
Cleared rucks, held up an underpowered scrum with Itoje and Grandpa in the row. Carried with bite everytime damaging tacklers.

AWJ has the most effective plot armour i've ever seen in sports. Not many come out of this with credit, but how AWJ is always an automatic 6 and above every single time....at some point reputation has to be left aside.

Wasn't our worst player by any means, but falling into tackles and having no actual impact at the breakdown, in tackles, in carries etc you want more from captain and lock
Yup, he’s completely wank. But like Hogg is a big name safe selection for the coaching staff.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I was gutted about Hogg, his form has fallen to bits. Seems Exeter were maybe onto something and not resting him.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

What's the story of Hogg at Exeter? Is the official line him being rested
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Frodder wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:23 pm

You’ve got a good memory.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Sefton wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:00 pm
Frodder wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:23 pm

You’ve got a good memory.
Er, when I say a couple I actually meant 1.
GWWG

Post by GWWG »

Frodder wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:50 pm What's the story of Hogg at Exeter? Is the official line him being rested
Officially he was dropped. Baxter even talked about Hogg’s reaction to it being positive. Not sure if the Exeter situation and the Lions form were linked though. Or rather, his Exeter form may have partly related to his stress about a last minute injury ending his Lions dream. But having got on tour, I think that was behind him. I just don’t think Hogg was that well suited to the game plan. And in the 2nd test his confidence seemed to evaporate. I just think he had a poor tour. One might ask the question of the coaches why the whole back 3 squad similarly lost form.

Might be interesting to see if Townsend relieves him of the captaincy ‘to help him refind form’. Ritchie is the captain in waiting and Townsend may want to make that call before Hogg retires.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Watch how the ABs deal with the boks in a few weeks ( i presume they're playing) . They will do what the lions should have done and move those heavy forwards around and tire them out.

Lions tactics were wrong and arrogant. Thinking you can outmuscle the most physically strongest team on their home turf. Very poor from Gatland
C69

Post by C69 »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:04 pm Watch how the ABs deal with the boks in a few weeks ( i presume they're playing) . They will do what the lions should have done and move those heavy forwards around and tire them out.

Lions tactics were wrong and arrogant. Thinking you can outmuscle the most physically strongest team on their home turf. Very poor from Gatland
The blatant politics of selection and tokens picked has been appalling.
Coupled with as you highlight, the retarded tactics means Gats will now never get the ABs job he wanted.
Good riddance
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

mr flaps wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:40 pm
Hawk97 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Yup, he’s completely wank. But like Hogg is a big name safe selection for the coaching staff.
And Biggar.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:04 pm Watch how the ABs deal with the boks in a few weeks ( i presume they're playing) . They will do what the lions should have done and move those heavy forwards around and tire them out.

It won’t matter if the Boks are allowed to feign injury at every break in play so they can recover.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

mr flaps wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:33 pm

It won’t matter if the Boks are allowed to feign injury at every break in play so they can recover.
If you watch the Heineken cup this is what Leinster always have to deal with playing heavy french teams like Clermont or Toulon. We want to play it high tempo. They want to go set piece to set piece
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:36 pm

If you watch the Heineken cup this is what Leinster always have to deal with playing heavy french teams like Clermont or Toulon. We want to play it high tempo. They want to go set piece to set piece
It’s infuriating. Clamping down on that blatant cheating would do more for player welfare than any rule changes.
Play on unless there’s a serious head knock. Player can be immediately replaced or stays off for 3 minutes and you play with 14.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

mr flaps wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:48 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:36 pm

It’s infuriating. Clamping down on that blatant cheating would do more for player welfare than any rule changes.
Play on unless there’s a serious head knock. Player can be immediately replaced or stays off for 3 minutes and you play with 14.
The Boks did this in 2007 as well. Awful to watch.

Every few years they try to expand their game everyone beats them and they revert back to up the jumper kick chase as they know that works
RWC2015

Post by RWC2015 »

camroc1 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:46 pm
hermie wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:35 pm Only 1 pt the difference between Curry and Conan is wrong for me. I think Conan comes away from this tour with massive credit. Most metres of any forward, a lot of those hard yards in traffic. No missed tackles or penalties conceded across the 3 Tests. Plus a couple of offloads. Where as Curry just seemed to give away penalties. 3 in the first Test (could have been a lot more) and 3 I think again yesterday. I know you want your 7s to play on the edge but his street smarts just aren't there yet.
Curry is even more responsible than Williams for the Lions losing yesterday. Whereas an argument can be made for Williams not passing, what Curry did was so stupid as to defy belief. U14s would be dropped for doing the same.
Conan was excellent.

I'm convinced Jeff decides the ratings before K.O. All over the shop.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

RWC2015 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:03 pm
camroc1 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:46 pm
Conan was excellent.

I'm convinced Jeff decides the ratings before K.O. All over the shop.
Compared to the Walrus he's a font of wisdom and calm rationality. Jones rated the entire starting pack (other than Owen & Lawes) as 7; those 2 got 8. The man is a genuine loon.