All Blacks first series win in SA - 25 years ago.....yesterday

All things Rugby
Jay Cee Gee

All Blacks first series win in SA - 25 years ago.....yesterday

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Aug 24, 1996 - The AB's win the 2nd test (in reality the 3rd) in SA to win a series there for the first time. Also, the last proper 3 test tour the AB's have ever done, I believe.

It's a real shame that we've lost the touring rugby tradition & while I've enjoyed the TN & RC, the familiarity of playing the same format every year has somewhat lessened the appeal of tests against SA.
guy smiley

Re: All Blacks first series win in SA - 25 years ago.....yesterday

Post by guy smiley »

Marshall's got his mouth open. What a surprise.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Also... Joost :(
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

I heard John Hart on radio yesterday discussing it. He was so pissed with SA flaunting the injury only subs that he met with their management and said that he didn’t appreciate them not following the law and that they either all agreed to do the same thing or not at all.

Had to endure alarms from 1am-5am outside the team hotel the morning of the series clincher.

Simon ‘Nibs’ Culhane stepping up to fill Mehrts boots admirably. :thumbup:
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Culhane was superb.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

That alarms trick was pretty standard stuff back in the day .
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:52 am Also... Joost :(

Truth .
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:00 am Culhane was superb.
And J Preston showing his clutch replacing Culhane later in the decider after Nibs broke his wrist.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Fitzpatrick hitting the ground at the final whistle was a great image to capture the triumph and relief of the moment.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Here’s the John Hart interview https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=894219
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

John Hart was earnest.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:52 am Marshall's got his mouth open. What a surprise.
Marshall was good back then so he's forgiven. It was post the 1998 achilles injury when his service became glacial.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

booji boy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:20 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:52 am Marshall's got his mouth open. What a surprise.
Marshall was good back then so he's forgiven. It was post the 1998 achilles injury when his service became glacial.
Nothing to do with his pass.

he's got his f**king mouth open. As usual.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

It's great to hear fitzy talk about how huge a win this was.

Yes there was revenge for 95, but his old man made sure he knew how many great players went there and were broken, and of all those touring sides to break that duck was huge. Apparently mexted was waiting in the tunnel for them he was so happy they had achieved what he couldn't.

On the other hand you had young guys like Marshall who admitted they didn't really get the significance, yes it was a series win but that was about it.

Almost a shame that they Springbok haven't had that same mystique since and have had the odd year of being total rubbish
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

The odd year? NZ have almost won 3/4 of their tests against the Boks since ‘92. They could just be another England or France in a decade or so.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 am The odd year? NZ have almost won 3/4 of their tests against the Boks since ‘92. They could just be another England or France in a decade or so.
I was showing some respect... while they've won bugger all, at least for most years they'll put in a decent dig in one of the tests, even if scoreline blows out at the end. Other years it's a procession.

Just talked myself into agreeing with you
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Great tour, watched all of it.

Some great performances from Brooke brothers, Michael Jones, Kronfield, Cullen, Marshall.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Bunce was a real stand out. Just got better with age.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

The NZR rugby channel put that game up on youtube yesterday, although it was probably already up there anyway.

I forget how that year played out, but didn't we beat them in NZ as a leg of the tri-nations anyway, then beat them in South Africa on the return leg, then took the first two tests of the series? So four in a row after losing the WC final.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

sonic_attack wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:00 am The NZR rugby channel put that game up on youtube yesterday, although it was probably already up there anyway.

I forget how that year played out, but didn't we beat them in NZ as a leg of the tri-nations anyway, then beat them in South Africa on the return leg, then took the first two tests of the series? So four in a row after losing the WC final.
Yep, the 2nd test win was actually their 3rd win on the trot in SA as the TN match didn't count for the series. Still, can just imagine it was a 4 match series so they'd still have needed to win this one to clinch it.
booze

Post by booze »

Great way to spend my 24th birthday, watching this game at the Prince of track in Earl’s Court.

Had to be carried out after celebrating a little too hard :smug:
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:58 am Bunce was a real stand out. Just got better with age.
Just watched his try again in the second tour game. Gem
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

booze wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:45 am Great way to spend my 24th birthday, watching this game at the Prince of track in Earl’s Court.

Happy 50th. Managed to hunt down a pub in York that was playing it, great day.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

There are two AB victories that stick out above all others in my lifetime:

1. The ABs beat SA to win the test series in 1996
2. The ABs winning RWC 2011.

If one was to objectively assess which AB victory was more important above all others through the team's entire history, I guess it might be the test victory to win the series against the Springboks in 1956.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Sky NZ made that doco about the series a few years ago that barely went for an hour.

Could/should have gone for far longer.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:35 am Image
Andre Venter : Poes!!!
booze

Post by booze »

Mr Mike wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:47 am
booze wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:45 am Great way to spend my 24th birthday, watching this game at the Prince of track in Earl’s Court.

Happy 50th. Managed to hunt down a pub in York that was playing it, great day.
Thanks mate, was wondering if anyone would do the math 😉
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:35 amIt's a real shame that we've lost the touring rugby tradition & while I've enjoyed the TN & RC, the familiarity of playing the same format every year has somewhat lessened the appeal of tests against SA.
I get it's likely staying the way it is, but compared to now where it feels like the Wallabies and All Blacks play each other 4 times a year (can the Wallabies do anything else that is financially successful?), spacing games out more would be welcome.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:00 pm
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:35 amIt's a real shame that we've lost the touring rugby tradition & while I've enjoyed the TN & RC, the familiarity of playing the same format every year has somewhat lessened the appeal of tests against SA.
I get it's likely staying the way it is, but compared to now where it feels like the Wallabies and All Blacks play each other 4 times a year (can the Wallabies do anything else that is financially successful?), spacing games out more would be welcome.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, don't get them started on that! (See the Perth All Black vs Wallaby Test Cancelled? thread).
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Whatever wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:48 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:00 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, don't get them started on that! (See the Perth All Black vs Wallaby Test Cancelled? thread).
:lol:
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

I watched that 1996 Pretoria match today... Rassie could make a 6 hour video on that match. It was basically a free for all. The ref may as well have not been there... I didn't remember it being like that at the time... and thank god for no TMO... a few forward passes missed... and Joost standing on the touchline just before the first Springbok try... :lol:
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:05 am
sonic_attack wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:00 am The NZR rugby channel put that game up on youtube yesterday, although it was probably already up there anyway.

Yep, the 2nd test win was actually their 3rd win on the trot in SA as the TN match didn't count for the series. Still, can just imagine it was a 4 match series so they'd still have needed to win this one to clinch it.
It was actually their fourth win on the trot against South Africa as they had also beaten them in NZ earlier in the first tri nations.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

CrazyIslander wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:54 am Great tour, watched all of it.

Some great performances from Brooke brothers, Michael Jones, Kronfield, Cullen, Marshall.
It was a brilliant try from Goldie that kind of sealed the game though in the deciding test. I think it was passed by the two locks Jones and Brooke to Goldie who chipped ahead and regathered to score in the corner. Classic try from Wilson which exemplified his speed and skill. From memory that gave us quite a substantial lead and I remember thinking at the time "we've got this!".

Of course the Boks came roaring back and made it very tight in the final minutes but that try set up the lead that eventually won the match.

EDIT: Actually just watched and I'm getting my tries mixed up. The chip and regather was from a scrum and it was passed from Marshall to Cullen to Wilson. Still a brilliant try by Wilson but the try involving the two locks must been a different one where Wilson had an easy run in to finish.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

After watching the Springboks game... stumbled across this.. the 1989 tour of Wales and Ireland... behind the scenes.. and some rugby.. The Good, The Bad and the Rugby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e0TYGfoDe0
BBB

Post by BBB »

Grandpa wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:24 am After watching the Springboks game... stumbled across this.. the 1989 tour of Wales and Ireland... behind the scenes.. and some rugby.. The Good, The Bad and the Rugby...

The full version is on YouTube elsewhere.

They’ve cut about half hour off that one.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

I rate this series win right up there with the World Cup wins. 80 years of pain (and Saffa refs) extinguished on the field of Loftus.

The Pretoria test is worthy of a World Cup final.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Tehui wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:56 am There are two AB victories that stick out above all others in my lifetime:

1. The ABs beat SA to win the test series in 1996
2. The ABs winning RWC 2011.

If one was to objectively assess which AB victory was more important above all others through the team's entire history, I guess it might be the test victory to win the series against the Springboks in 1956.
Agreed.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:35 am
It's a real shame that we've lost the touring rugby tradition & while I've enjoyed the TN & RC, the familiarity of playing the same format every year has somewhat lessened the appeal of tests against SA.
Each tour match would be a massive television event too.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

BBB wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:13 am
Grandpa wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:24 am After watching the Springboks game... stumbled across this.. the 1989 tour of Wales and Ireland... behind the scenes.. and some rugby.. The Good, The Bad and the Rugby...

The full version is on YouTube elsewhere.

They’ve cut about half hour off that one.
Thanks. It does seem like the start is missing. Will look for it.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Auckman wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:50 am I rate this series win right up there with the World Cup wins. 80 years of pain (and Saffa refs and not being allowed to bring some of our best players) extinguished on the field of Loftus.

The Pretoria test is worthy of a World Cup final.
Fixed