Official Match Thread TRC RD II All Blacks vs Whingers

All things Rugby
Thomas

Re: Official Match Thread TRC RD II All Blacks vs Whingers

Post by Thomas »

Dumbledore wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:48 am Definitely setting a precedent. What's to stop anyone from doing exactly what he did now? Lead with the knee then extend your leg if anyone gets close?

Probably is a bit much to expect a level of coordination and body control from a professional athlete.
It's a 6 week ban in the NH so I guess players need to remember where they are playing.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Grandpa wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:50 am My mum will be particularly pleased.
Has she dared raise her head again after such a soft reaction to the boot to the face
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Thomas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:51 am
Dumbledore wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:48 am Definitely setting a precedent. What's to stop anyone from doing exactly what he did now? Lead with the knee then extend your leg if anyone gets close?

Probably is a bit much to expect a level of coordination and body control from a professional athlete.
It's a 6 week ban in the NH so I guess players need to remember where they are playing.
I assume NZRU threatened to pack up their toys and go home if they didn't get their way again.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Very please for JB - hope he is back at 15 on Sunday.

What’s not clear to me is the outcome that should have be reached - my issue is that there was no mitigation applied (to go red to yellow) - which would have been an OK outcome. But not sure that is the conclusion reached vs never a card (which seems unlikely).
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Justice 4 Paolo
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:58 am

I assume NZRU threatened to pack up their toys and go home if they didn't get their way again.
I mean, if it works?
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:58 am

You mean like you packed up your toys on this thread during the game?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:01 am Very please for JB - hope he is back at 15 on Sunday.

What’s not clear to me is the outcome that should have be reached - my issue is that there was no mitigation applied (to go red to yellow) - which would have been an OK outcome. But not sure that is the conclusion reached vs never a card (which seems unlikely).
I'm not intimately aware of the framework but I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd just been given a yellow. I think the issue is there might not be any framework for mitigation in this sort of thing.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

By the way, if I were reffing and he did this again, I'd send him off again.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:58 am
Grandpa wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:50 am My mum will be particularly pleased.
Has she dared raise her head again after such a soft reaction to the boot to the face
Now she knows it was involuntary, she has apologised.
Bless her, she even gave me the stud back she swallowed .. and these were moulded studs remember.
simon7

Post by simon7 »

You keep harping on about the 6 week in the NH when 1 player got it and then acted the twat with the ref and when walking off, most of the ban came from acting a plum. Most other NH cases have been none or a lower ban. You really do lose perspective when Kiwis are involved Thomas.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Thomas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:12 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:01 am Very please for JB - hope he is back at 15 on Sunday.

I'm not intimately aware of the framework but I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd just been given a yellow. I think the issue is there might not be any framework for mitigation in this sort of thing.
It’s the contact to the head framework - mitigation - unless deliberate - is outlined. I imagine an international would know it…
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Enzedder wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:16 am By the way, if I were reffing and he did this again, I'd send him off again.
Just watched Nigel Owens "Whistle Watch" and he reckons he would have given a red card based on the unnatural way JB flicked his leg up high at the last moment.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

simon7 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:22 am

You keep harping on about the 6 week in the NH when 1 player got it and then acted the twat with the ref and when walking off, most of the ban came from acting a plum. Most other NH cases have been none or a lower ban. You really do lose perspective when Kiwis are involved Thomas.
I'm glad someone has finally said it.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There are actually quite a few examples of players who were banned for doing the same thing, bro. Here's one. Almost a carbon copy of the Barrett incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkz-9FI9M1s&t=55s

He got 3 matches. I already said a yellow would have sufficed but these issues have precedence...in another hemisphere. He's lucky, I guess.

As for your last comment, it's easy to get hot under the collar when you're dealing with the worst fans in the game. Hard out, bro.
simon7

Post by simon7 »

Thomas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:41 am

There are actually quite a few examples of players who were banned for doing the same thing, bro. Here's one. Almost a carbon copy of the Barrett incident.

He got 3 matches. I already said a yellow would have sufficed but these issues have precedence...in another hemisphere. He's lucky, I guess.

As for your last comment, it's easy to get hot under the collar when you're dealing with the worst fans in the game. Hard out, bro.
Not sure why you are calling me bro, I know it can be frustrating dealing with shitty fans but don't let it get to you. Looks like Jordie has escaped a bullet not getting a ban.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

simon7 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:50 am Looks like Jordie has escaped a bullet not getting a ban.
He sure has. I just hope for consistency which, I'm sure, will be applied...in the SH.

It's becoming starkly apparent that the game is reffed (and managed off field in terms of judiciaries) different in both hemispheres.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Thomas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:52 am
simon7 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:50 am Looks like Jordie has escaped a bullet not getting a ban.
He sure has. I just hope for consistency which, I'm sure, will be applied...in the SH.

It's becoming starkly apparent that the game is reffed (and managed off field in terms of judiciaries) different in both hemispheres.
Stop the presses!
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Have any of the whingers recanted and/or apologised yet, or are they doubling down? :uhoh:

I think JB is quite fortunate, but also not surprised by the judiciary's decision, just as I wasn't surprised by the red in the first place
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Kiwias wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:25 am
Enzedder wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:16 am By the way, if I were reffing and he did this again, I'd send him off again.
Just watched Nigel Owens "Whistle Watch" and he reckons he would have given a red card based on the unnatural way JB flicked his leg up high at the last moment.
That's the thing for me. Looked more like an involuntary flick-out to protect his space than anything else. Wasn't malicious, and if it was a full 80 minute red card I'd be pretty hesitant, but the 20 minute red seemed like the perfect punishment.

Reminds me a bit of the way the AFL introduced a rule a couple of years ago banning 'studs up' in marking contests after Toby Greene kept doing almost exactly what Barrett did. Be interesting to see what happens next time someone gets kicked in the face. Presumably it's fine now, as long as you can wave it off as probably accidental.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Dumbledore wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:01 am
That's the thing for me. Looked more like an involuntary flick-out to protect his space than anything else. Wasn't malicious, and if it was a full 80 minute red card I'd be pretty hesitant, but the 20 minute red seemed like the perfect punishment.

Reminds me a bit of the way the AFL introduced a rule a couple of years ago banning 'studs up' in marking contests after Toby Greene kept doing almost exactly what Barrett did. Be interesting to see what happens next time someone gets kicked in the face. Presumably it's fine now, as long as you can wave it off as probably accidental.
Unless you're deadset looking at the player as you kick him in the face like that Highlanders winger a few years ago, then you could always argue that it's accidental.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Mark Robinson receives the call from the judiciary.

Whatever

Post by Whatever »

This. Mitigation would be he was still in the air when contact was made with the guy on the ground, and the responsibility is usually with the latter to ensure the player safely gets to the ground. Bit 50-50 though.

My issue was the lack of discussion by the 4 officials, compared with what you normally see with head-highs. I'm not a fan of NH-style ref soap operas, but this one did need to work through a process, and it didn't.

So Jordie has to wear the stigma of being red-carded in a test match, which is a bit rough.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Agreed. I had no complaints about the call at the time and it was a perfect debut for the new rule.

My suspicion is that the judiciary allowed themselves to be unduly swayed by the logistical challenges of replacing players during the competition.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Not what I'm seeing on this thread, and I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. And clearly, you have never been to Twickenham.
farmerdave

Post by farmerdave »

And obviously Enzedder you'd get the same support from the powers that be, jackshit. Really hate the ease with which refs that make the hard calls as they've asked to get dumped on.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Mr Mike wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:12 am
Agreed. I had no complaints about the call at the time and it was a perfect debut for the new rule.

My suspicion is that the judiciary allowed themselves to be unduly swayed by the logistical challenges of replacing players during the competition.
I don't think "well, it's only 20 minutes so red card therefore" is correct thinking; the judgement should be irrespective of how long the team will be down to 14 men (this includes sending someone off in the 79th minute), has to be on a proper interpretation of the law.

Especially not a good habit to get into given that the NH have rejected this concept.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Not trying to be a smart arse, but all it takes is a little thought around the words 'legitimate', 'balance' and 'inadvertent', used together in this context, not singly, a person can see how game officials, using common sense, can apply this ruling unambiguously. Though I can also see that it might create difficulties in some circumstances, especially if officials preconceive or rush decisions.
Last edited by Ted. on Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Excellent!!!!

:lol:

I think his kick out was also to do with regaining balance for this landing , he’s simply arching too far backwards .
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Almost a carbon copy except for the fact that he didn't jump anywhere near as high in the air or appear to lose his balance in quite the same fashion. Plus actually appeared to be back on the ground when contact was made with no suggestion of him being taken out in the air. But yeah, almost a carbon copy.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Fat Old Git wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:14 am

Almost a carbon copy except for the fact that he didn't jump anywhere near as high in the air or appear to lose his balance in quite the same fashion. Plus actually appeared to be back on the ground when contact was made with no suggestion of him being taken out in the air. But yeah, almost a carbon copy.

I guess some people see what they want to see. :roll:
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Eugenius wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:13 am Excellent!!!!

I think his kick out was also to do with regaining balance for this landing , he’s simply arching too far backwards .
That is his technique, I've noticed that before, he's a tall guy and he gets in the air early and catches the ball almost behind himself. It means if he gets caught in mid-air he has less chance of nose-diving into the pitch. Remember when his brother went head-first into the turf against France some years ago after being hit mid-air?

He may need to change his technique in view of this, and ironically that may lessen his safety.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

https://dylancleaver.substack.com/p/red ... hat-helped

AUT researchers provided independent biomechanical analysis of the incident and determined that he had used “a standard technique” for a high ball catch by raising his knee to gain jump height.

Barrett escaped further punishment when his actions were determined to have complied with the laws of motion. Photo / Getty Images
They determined that Barrett did not “kick” his leg out as his knee angle remained close to 90 degrees from the time of takeoff from the ground to the impact on Wallaby Marika’s body during landing.

It was also determined that Barrett’s “hip flexion was necessary to stop the backwards rotation of his body due to his trunk position”. If he had not flexed at the hip he could have landed on his head.

Finally it was deemed that due “to the laws of motion, Barrett’s landing position was predetermined at take-off, and he could not have changed it deliberately”.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

That's the thing for me. Looked more like an involuntary flick-out to protect his space than anything else.

Reminds me a bit of the way the AFL introduced a rule a couple of years ago banning 'studs up' in marking contests ...
Also Melbourne-related: a while back the Storm's Billy Slater got into the habit of extending a leg outwards during the jump, sometimes even before he'd taken the ball. I don't recall him being banished for it but it was made clear to him that he was to cease and desist. And rightly so.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

farmerdave wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:18 am

And obviously Enzedder you'd get the same support from the powers that be, jackshit. Really hate the ease with which refs that make the hard calls as they've asked to get dumped on.
That's the other way - just throw the cards away and tell the players to get on with it.

Last man standing.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:38 am https://dylancleaver.substack.com/p/red ... hat-helped

AUT researchers provided independent biomechanical analysis of the incident and determined that he had used “a standard technique” for a high ball catch by raising his knee to gain jump height.

Barrett escaped further punishment when his actions were determined to have complied with the laws of motion. Photo / Getty Images
They determined that Barrett did not “kick” his leg out as his knee angle remained close to 90 degrees from the time of takeoff from the ground to the impact on Wallaby Marika’s body during landing.

It was also determined that Barrett’s “hip flexion was necessary to stop the backwards rotation of his body due to his trunk position”. If he had not flexed at the hip he could have landed on his head.

Finally it was deemed that due “to the laws of motion, Barrett’s landing position was predetermined at take-off, and he could not have changed it deliberately”.
Auckland University of Technology? Sensational :lol:

Crazy how few times we've seen incidents like this before, spitting in the face of the laws of the universe.

Anyway, the whole thing is dumb and won't matter for another five years when the next poor guy gets kicked in the face.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Dumbledore wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:02 am Auckland University of Technology? Sensational :lol:

Crazy how few times we've seen incidents like this before, spitting in the face of the laws of the universe.

Anyway, the whole thing is dumb and won't matter for another five years when the next poor guy gets kicked in the face.
That kind of everyman skepticism is a sure path to becoming a full on anti-vax climate change denier.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Mr Mike wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:08 am Mark Robinson receives the call from the judiciary.

Is this your "are we the baddies" moment?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Dumbledore wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:02 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:38 am https://dylancleaver.substack.com/p/red ... hat-helped

Auckland University of Technology? Sensational :lol:

"Jayden? Get the boffins at AUT onto this! We need to save Jordie!"