2022 Super Rugby Pacific

All things Rugby
JPNZ

Re: 2022 Super Rugby Pacific

Post by JPNZ »

On the back of Ioane’s move north the prodigal son returns to the Highlanders.

Marty Banks signed today
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

JPNZ wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:27 pm
Auckman wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:53 am Should be top-5.

I remember the NRL did it this way years ago. Can’t remember how they did it.
NRL used the McIntyre system. 1st week Elimination 4v5, non elimination 2v3, top team has a bye. 2nd week winner of 4v5 vs loser of 2v3, winner of 2v3 vs 1. 3rd week = 2 teams left for Grand Final.
As its name states, the McIntyre final five system features five teams. From the second round the McIntyre final five system is the same as the Page–McIntyre system, however, in the first round the lowest two ranked teams play to eliminate one team and the second and third ranked teams determine which match they will play in the second round. The highest ranked team has a bye in the first round.

In this case, if all teams have an even chance of winning each match, the highest ranked team has a 37.5% chance, ranks two and three have a 25% chance and the lowest two ranked teams have a 6.25% chance of winning the competition.
Great system. :thumbup:
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

JPNZ wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:57 am On the back of Ioane’s move north the prodigal son returns to the Highlanders.

Marty Banks signed today
That's an upgrade.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mrbrownstone wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:16 am
JPNZ wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:57 am On the back of Ioane’s move north the prodigal son returns to the Highlanders.

Marty Banks signed today
That's an upgrade.
Not sure drunk driving is an upgrade on having a party house. ;)
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

UncleFB wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:24 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:16 am

Marty Banks signed today
That's an upgrade.
Not sure drunk driving is an upgrade on having a party house. ;)
Had to google that. It happened a while back but there he is in Southland Maroon & Gold in all his glory. Dickhead.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/126 ... g-incident
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Wonder if anyone else can maybe see a problem if a number of Drua players for instance don't get vaxxed? Almost certain next year there will be no free travel between countries for unvaxxed people, and knowing the Fijian test team reluctance on promoting them, will this lead to a problem?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Dan54. wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:47 am Wonder if anyone else can maybe see a problem if a number of Drua players for instance don't get vaxxed? Almost certain next year there will be no free travel between countries for unvaxxed people, and knowing the Fijian test team reluctance on promoting them, will this lead to a problem?
I don't see it being an issue. If someone wants to be a pro-Rugby player anywhere in the world they need to be vaccinated.
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Dan54. wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:47 am Wonder if anyone else can maybe see a problem if a number of Drua players for instance don't get vaxxed? Almost certain next year there will be no free travel between countries for unvaxxed people, and knowing the Fijian test team reluctance on promoting them, will this lead to a problem?
Fiji is at 96.4% first jab for those eligible and 50.7% for those who have gotten both jabs. I can almost guarantee you that only Drua players who have been fully vaccinated will be playing.
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

flaggETERNAL wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:12 am
Fiji is at 96.4% first jab for those eligible and 50.7% for those who have gotten both jabs. I can almost guarantee you that only Drua players who have been fully vaccinated will be playing.
Wasn't there significant vaccine resistance in Fiji at one point? If so, what changed?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:34 am
Wasn't there significant vaccine resistance in Fiji at one point? If so, what changed?
People dying I'd suspect.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

With regards to the new Drua and Moana sides. I understand the need to promote and nurture players for their respective national sides. But would there be anything stopping them signing some key players ineligible for test selection? NZ super sides have had English, Irish, US, French, Australian, now Argentine reps along with players eligible for the Islands.

Just thinking about the mix of gaining competitive sides in unison with nurturing ‘local’ talent.

Would be interesting if their constitutions allow it.
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

I wish I could be enthused about this but I'm not. It's just going to be another competition utterly dominated by the NZ teams. I don't see how taking out the South Africans and replacing them with a couple of "pacific" teams really works. Nice in theory, in practice I don't see it working. But then, I'm a pessimistic plum at the best of times so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt :lol:
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:37 am
That and a pretty Draconian "no jabs no jobs" policy put in place by the government
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mr bungle wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:52 am With regards to the new Drua and Moana sides. I understand the need to promote and nurture players for their respective national sides. But would there be anything stopping them signing some key players ineligible for test selection? NZ super sides have had English, Irish, US, French, Australian, now Argentine reps along with players eligible for the Islands.

Just thinking about the mix of gaining competitive sides in unison with nurturing ‘local’ talent.

I don't think NZ super sides have ever "needed" that talent, and I'd hope the aim of the Moana would be strong ebough that they wouldn't need that talent either, especially as they'll have some young NZ talent (eligible for PIs but NZers) and older NZ talent (the 3 ex or current ABs).

I wonder if they could get some of the UK PIs like the Vunipola's etc out for a season.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

flaggETERNAL wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:02 am
UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:37 am
That and a pretty Draconian "no jabs no jobs" policy put in place by the government
:thumbup:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I'm very enthusiastic about this comp. The Crusaders just need to find a back-up 10, and we are looking quite strong.

15. Will Jordan
14. Sevu Reece
13. Jack Goodhue
12. David Havili
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Mitch Drummond

8. Cullen Grace
7. Pablo Matera
6. Ethan Blackadder
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Tamaiti Williams
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:19 am I'm very enthusiastic about this comp. The Crusaders just need to find a back-up 10, and we are looking quite strong.

15. Will Jordan
14. Sevu Reece
13. Jack Goodhue
12. David Havili
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Mitch Drummond

8. Cullen Grace
7. Pablo Matera
6. Ethan Blackadder
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Tamaiti Williams
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody
What's the depth like outside that starting side? Douglas has gone right? Hall still around at 9 though?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:35 am What's the depth like outside that starting side? Douglas has gone right? Hall still around at 9 though?
A mentioned we need a back-up 10. Depth isn't brilliant but it's okay.

16. Andrew Makalio, Brodie McAllister
17. George Bower
18. Fletcher Newell
19. Quentin Strange, Mitch Dunshea
20. Tom Christie
21. Bryn Hall, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi
22. Fergus Burke
23. Brayden Ennor, Chay Fihaki, Dallas McLeod
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:41 am
UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:35 am What's the depth like outside that starting side? Douglas has gone right? Hall still around at 9 though?
A mentioned we need a back-up 10. Depth isn't brilliant but it's okay.

16. Andrew Makalio, Brodie McAllister
17. George Bower
18. Fletcher Newell
19. Quentin Strange, Mitch Dunshea
20. Tom Christie
21. Bryn Hall, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi
22. Fergus Burke
23. Brayden Ennor, Chay Fihaki, Dallas McLeod
:thumbup:

I wonder if TTT will leap frog your current two if he gets some decent gametime in the trials?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:45 am :thumbup:

I wonder if TTT will leap frog your current two if he gets some decent gametime in the trials?
Tahuriorangi will have plenty of opportunities I suspect. His career has not progressed the way many of us assumed it would a few years back, so I hope for his sake he settles in quickly to the squad and plays good Rugby in CHCH. His confidence has clearly taken a battering over the past couple of seasons. The fact that he was a direct swap with Enari means that there was no impact on our PI/Maori quota as well.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:52 am

Tahuriorangi will have plenty of opportunities I suspect. His career has not progressed the way many of us assumed it would a few years back, so I hope for his sake he settles in quickly to the squad and plays good Rugby in CHCH. His confidence has clearly taken a battering over the past couple of seasons. The fact that he was a direct swap with Enari means that there was no impact on our PI/Maori quota as well.
Well if you seperate them (Maori and PIs) there is, you've lost half a PI but gained a half a Maori. ;)
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:56 am

Well if you seperate them there is, you've lost half a PI but gained a half a Maori. ;)
In all seriousness, I'd have thought someone like Bryn Hall would be a great signing for Moana Pasifika. He is extremely professional, has lots of experience and won lots of titles. He's also from Auckland and therefore would have connections to the city.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:59 am
UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:56 am

Well if you seperate them there is, you've lost half a PI but gained a half a Maori. ;)
In all seriousness, I'd have thought someone like Bryn Hall would be a great signing for Moana Pasifika. He is extremely professional, has lots of experience and won lots of titles. He's also from Auckland and therefore would have connections to the city.
But would they want to use up one of the non PI NZ spots for a halfback? I guess it would depend on who else is out there. If the Magpies could have played Enari into form and he went well for Moana next year then Samoa would have another contender.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:05 am But would they want to use up one of the non PI NZ spots for a halfback? I guess it would depend on who else is out there. If the Magpies could have played Enari into form and he went well for Moana next year then Samoa would have another contender.
Yes, Enari is an option. I thought Johnathan Taumateine was Manu Samoa's best player in their recent series against Tonga.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:08 am
UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:05 am But would they want to use up one of the non PI NZ spots for a halfback? I guess it would depend on who else is out there. If the Magpies could have played Enari into form and he went well for Moana next year then Samoa would have another contender.
Yes, Enari is an option. I thought Johnathan Taumateine was Manu Samoa's best player in their recent series against Tonga.
Yeah agree, for some reason I thought Enari had already signed with Moana, I guess I must have dreamt that.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

mr bungle wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:52 am With regards to the new Drua and Moana sides. I understand the need to promote and nurture players for their respective national sides. But would there be anything stopping them signing some key players ineligible for test selection? NZ super sides have had English, Irish, US, French, Australian, now Argentine reps along with players eligible for the Islands.

Not sure about the Drua but Moana Pasifika has an 80/20 split. 80% of players must be eligible for Samoa or Tonga and 20% can be non-eligible players. Basically the reverse of the NZRU’s 80/20 for NZ-eligible players.

Loophole though. I understand it’s “eligible at the time of being contracted to MP”. Thereotically a player might be eligible but they could possibly refuse selection for one of those teams. Contracts should probably be specific about this kind of thing though.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Thanks, Auckman.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Have MP signed any players yet?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Zakar wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:31 am Have MP signed any players yet?
Not that I am aware of, although a NZ based poster may have more information. Nothing has been published on stuff or in the NZ Herald.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Blues coach Leon MacDonald has re-signed with the Auckland Super Rugby franchise for another two years.

The former All Black took the job in 2019 after coaching Tasman in the national provincial championship and has extended his contract with the Blues through to 2023.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

The ambitious Western Force Super Rugby Pacific team have appointed a second Kiwi assistant-coach with former Māori All Black Paul Tito joining Hawke's Bay coach Mark Ozich in Perth.

Both men have been lured to Western Australia by the Force's chief executive Tony Lewis, who hailed them as "fantastic additions'' to the coaching staff.

Tito will be forwards coach while Ozich, who led Hawke's Bay to Ranfurly Shield glory during a successful five-year spell with the Magpies, will work as attack coach.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

No surprises to Crusaders fans to hear that Whetu Douglas is off to Japan.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

JPNZ wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:35 am No surprises to Crusaders fans to hear that Whetu Douglas is off to Japan.
Yep, he was pretty good for us. His presence coincided with our five title run, and he always worked his arse off. Fair to say he was a later bloomer in NZ Rugby, not really reaching his full potential until his late 20's. I wish him well. It will be very interesting to see what Robertson's first choice backrow is for 2022.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Former All Blacks and Wallabies skills coach Mick Byrne will be in charge of the Fijian Drua for their Super Rugby Pacific campaigns in 2022-2023.

Byrne was unveiled at a press conference held by the Fiji Rugby Union on Friday, and he has signed a two-year deal as foundation coach.
More here:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... head-coach
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

JPNZ wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:36 am
Former All Blacks and Wallabies skills coach Mick Byrne will be in charge of the Fijian Drua for their Super Rugby Pacific campaigns in 2022-2023.

Byrne was unveiled at a press conference held by the Fiji Rugby Union on Friday, and he has signed a two-year deal as foundation coach.
More here:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... head-coach
Good signing, IMO.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Good signing - for both Drua and Mick.

Drua will be ok player wise, but have MP signed anyone yet? I've not heard anything since last time.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:08 am Good signing - for both Drua and Mick.

Drua will be ok player wise, but have MP signed anyone yet? I've not heard anything since last time.
Apparently MP have signed 30 of their 38 player squad or something like that. No formal announcements yet though.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Auckman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:20 am

Apparently MP have signed 30 of their 38 player squad or something like that. No formal announcements yet though.
That's strange, but good to hear they are signing people.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:21 am

Very strange that they are keeping their signings secret. Is Scott Morrison their recruiter? Typically teams are very keen to announce new signings. Especially start-up franchises who are desperate o attract new fans.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:43 am
Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:21 am

Very strange that they are keeping their signings secret. Is Scott Morrison their recruiter? Typically teams are very keen to announce new signings. Especially start-up franchises who are desperate o attract new fans.
The cynic in me expects this is because they are nobodies.