Is Dave Rennie the worst international rugby coach in history?

All things Rugby
Tuivasa

Is Dave Rennie the worst international rugby coach in history?

Post by Tuivasa »

Based on the performances he is. He took an Australian team to get another pathetic loss.
They look brainless and gutless compared to how the team performed under cheika.
It looks as if the team lacks pride. Let's be honest - the cruden/sbw combo handed rennie the 2012 super rugby title and cruden was sublime again in 2013.
Hes a shit coach at the highest level and not fit to wipe fosters ass with European tissues.
Bindi

Re: Is Dave Rennie the worst international rugby coach in history?

Post by Bindi »

Agree.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Any coach that makes Ian Foster look good must be pretty poor tbf.
Couch

Post by Couch »

He's playing blackjack with a 3 and ace and every Aussie wants him to hit the deck 5 times
Tuivasa

Post by Tuivasa »

I think Australia would be a lot closer if the coaches were reversed.
Ian Foster is an excellent coach at international level ( better than Wayne Smith as head coach, with a worse team) , whole Dave rennie is an brainless idiot that should be coaching a high school team ( an Australian one obviously)
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Couch wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 am He's playing blackjack with a 3 and ace and every Aussie wants him to hit the deck 5 times
His selections are shit. Why is he selecting that slug Valetini over Wilson? Why is he selecting Noah (who might be a good player in about 2026) now, when he has other experienced options available? Is he getting backhanders from the Brumbies or something?

The team has a poor attitude. They should be gutted if they lose, and remember what it feels like. He is not inculcating that mental edge.

The team's defensive patterns and tactics are poor, throwing too many intercepted passes and so forth. You can say he's not out on the park and its not directly his fault, but he picked this team that is serially failing, and has failed to coach it so it improves. It is in fact worse performed now than when he took over.

The buck stops with him, and he's probably gone at the end of the season unless things improve.
Couch

Post by Couch »

Ellafan wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:50 am
Couch wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 am He's playing blackjack with a 3 and ace and every Aussie wants him to hit the deck 5 times
His selections are shit. Why is he selecting that slug Valetini over Wilson? Why is he selecting Noah (who might be a good player in about 2026) now, when he has other experienced options available? Is he getting backhanders from the Brumbies or something?

The team has a poor attitude. They should be gutted if they lose, and remember what it feels like. He is not inculcating that mental edge.

The team's defensive patterns and tactics are poor, throwing too many intercepted passes and so forth. You can say he's not out on the park and its not directly his fault, but he picked this team that is serially failing, and has failed to coach it so it improves. It is in fact worse performed now than when he took over.

The buck stops with him, and he's probably gone at the end of the season unless things improve.
Unfortunately you have to play the long game not the short game to get anywhere. Look at what Rassie did with South Africa. He built that team up to get thrashed by the All Blacks even at the world cup and they still won the trophy.

Australia need to look at 2023 not 2021.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Couch wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:56 am
Ellafan wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:50 am

Unfortunately you have to play the long game not the short game to get anywhere. Look at what Rassie did with South Africa. He built that team up to get thrashed by the All Blacks even at the world cup and they still won the trophy.

Australia need to look at 2023 not 2021.
Australia need to pick some trench warriors who tackle for 80 minutes , instead of dropping their heads if they get 10 pts behind, and losing interest.
mightyreds

Post by mightyreds »

The question is looking rather foolish at the moment...
mightyreds

Post by mightyreds »

The question is looking rather foolish at the moment...
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

mightyreds wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:55 pm The question is looking rather foolish at the moment...
The buck stops with him, and he's probably gone at the end of the season unless things improve

Australia need to pick some trench warriors who tackle for 80 minutes , instead of dropping their heads if they get 10 pts behind, and losing interest.
And they did.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Should have been the AB coach but maybe a bit too brown for the AB hierarchy after what the ex Crusader players said about the brown players.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Jacques Nienaber is!!
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:22 pm Jacques Nienaber is!!
I'm not sure what mightreds point is here.

Rennie is starting to pass his exams.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Yeah, some comments here have not aged well
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Go back to bed you silly old prick.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:32 pm Yeah, some comments here have not aged well
:lol:

Someone’s taking it well
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Never doubted Rennie.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Masterji wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:11 pm Should have been the AB coach but maybe a bit too brown for the AB hierarchy after what the ex Crusader players said about the brown players.
I hear Rhodesia is lovely this time of year .
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Masterji wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:11 pm Should have been the AB coach but maybe a bit too brown for the AB hierarchy after what the ex Crusader players said about the brown players.
Which ex-Crusaders?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mr bungle wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:30 am
Which ex-Crusaders?
He's full of shit. I'm guessing he's referring to Andy Haden's infamous "quota" comment.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:52 am
Which ex-Crusaders?
He's full of shit. I'm guessing he's referring to Andy Haden's infamous "quota" comment.
Exactly. That's who I though he was referring to. An ex-player with no connection to the Crusaders.
naki

Post by naki »

NZR had Rennie, Razor and Foster to choose from and chose Foster. I don't think skin colour entered into anyone's thinking at all, aside from actual race obsessives who even think about those factors.
dam0

Post by dam0 »

naki wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:31 am NZR had Rennie, Razor and Foster to choose from and chose Foster. I don't think skin colour entered into anyone's thinking at all, aside from actual race obsessives who even think about those factors.
I think Foster is doing rather well.

Jury still out on whether we got that right or wrong.
naki

Post by naki »

dam0 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:06 am
naki wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:31 am NZR had Rennie, Razor and Foster to choose from and chose Foster. I don't think skin colour entered into anyone's thinking at all, aside from actual race obsessives who even think about those factors.

Foster so far has managed to beat a team we always beat while also managing to lose to them (and suffering an ignominious draw - at home FFS). He’s lost to a team we have never lost to, beaten up on a semi-pro team of ringers, and managed to look second rate against Fiji. Considering the advantages his players have had, training in the most dynamic “club” competition with the greatest concentration of talent in the world and not having to even leave Oceania yet, I’d say the jury is definitely still out.
dam0

Post by dam0 »

naki wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:19 am
dam0 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:06 am

Foster so far has managed to beat a team we always beat while also managing to lose to them (and suffering an ignominious draw - at home FFS). He’s lost to a team we have never lost to, beaten up on a semi-pro team of ringers, and managed to look second rate against Fiji. Considering the advantages his players have had, training in the most dynamic “club” competition with the greatest concentration of talent in the world and not having to even leave Oceania yet, I’d say the jury is definitely still out.
I agree that jury is still out, but I believe we have had a very good year in terms of improved structure and plans. I am quietly impressed with the All Blacks this year. Now we need to keep it up against the Boks and finish well in NH.
DonJP

Post by DonJP »

Perhaps not after last w/end's result?! Or can the same be said about the Saffa coaches now? Away from home, decent weather, has real rugby caught up with & exposed SA? Mind you, it doesn't seem so long ago that the the knives were out for Foster too, does it? What are the latter's critics saying now? A a few too many premature ejaculations? Nxt couple of weeks may tell more.
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

Is there any real consideration he may drop a test again the Pumas? I don't think so but there is still of course the NH tour yet.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

mr bungle wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:05 am
Which ex-Crusaders?
Exactly. That's who I though he was referring to. An ex-player with no connection to the Crusaders.

Bloody Rhodesians .
Farva

Post by Farva »

Eugenius wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:36 am
Which ex-Crusaders?
Bloody Rhodesians .
Isnt that exactly what Masterji said - the ex-Crusaders player?

I should add, I have no idea if he played for the Crusaders or not.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

I am glad, so very glad that, I forbore posting in the early days of this thread. Resultantly, I am in the uncharacteristic position of not being wracked by embarrassment and shame.

Won't last, of course. Neither Straya's winning ministreak nor my freedom from wearing the consequences of my own rash statements.

Sob.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Farva wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:04 am
Eugenius wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:36 am

Which ex-Crusaders?
Bloody Rhodesians .
Isnt that exactly what Masterji said - the ex-Crusaders player?

I should add, I have no idea if he played for the Crusaders or not.
The Auckland rep retired in 1986.
naki

Post by naki »

Haden made those comments about the Sadists having a quota for brown skinned players, back pedaled later to say he only meant Pacific Island players, then claimed he'd been told he'd heard from a friend who knew a dude who knew a guy who talked to some bloke from Canterbury who said the Saders could only recruit a maximum of three PI players at at time.

He was probably confused about NZRU policy at the time that only allowed for a couple of non-AB eligible players, from anywhere, at any of the franchises. At the time of his comments the Crusaders obviously had many Polynesian players in their squad.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

MungoMan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:15 am I am glad, so very glad that, I forbore posting in the early days of this thread. Resultantly, I am in the uncharacteristic position of not being wracked by embarrassment and shame.

Won't last, of course. Neither Straya's winning ministreak nor my freedom from wearing the consequences of my own rash statements.

Sob.
It's entirely too soon to call anything. I'm glad they gave him until the RWC. We've given him the rope, let's see what he does with it.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:39 pm
Enzedder wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:32 pm Yeah, some comments here have not aged well
:lol:

Someone’s taking it well
It's all relevant to the time of the evening I've found
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Which ex-Crusaders?
and to be fair Haden isn’t the only one of his generation with questionable assumptions about non-Pakeha players.

For Masterji, I think his comment was more one of affinity with Haden and others who question the contribution of non-white players. Here were his views on the threat of “quotas” destroying the legacy and competitiveness of the “genuine” Springboks.
Masterji wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:49 pm With all the hype about the AB's, This WC will be won the by the Boks. The reason is that we will never see a genuine Bok team again in a WC with the expanded quotas coming in for the next WC. This thought will galvanise the Afrikaner mentality of the team and give the team the extra energy needed to win the cup.
Masterji wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:05 pm I think Bryce Lawrence was more at fault than the govt last time. I can't see the Boks winning again after this WC becuase the ideology that binds the team will disappear.
Worth noting that this love letter to Afrikaner superiority and warning about the threats of inclusion was posted on the eve of the 2015 RWC game against Japan.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66023&p=3604290&hil ... r#p3604290
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Which ex-Crusaders?
Are you seriously asking if you follow AB and NZ rugby?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Masterji wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:55 pm
Which ex-Crusaders?
I'm very seriously asking you to name the ex-Crusaders. I'll wait...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Which ex-Crusaders?
You're the poster making wild accusations. Put up some evidence to support your claim or shut the f**k up.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

mr bungle wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:02 pm
Which ex-Crusaders?
I'm very seriously asking you to name the ex-Crusaders. I'll wait...
Maybe he's thinking of Joe Wheeler?