Why is Pollard in the Bok team?

All things Rugby
DonJP

Re: Why is Pollard in the Bok team?

Post by DonJP »

OomStruisbaai
Did I strike a raw & truthful note geezer? Judging from yr semi literate, subjective, child ego state, non-rugby related response, perhaps it is YOU who should get back into yr crib & suck on yr cry baby's bottle for a bit. Happy days.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

F^ck off Noob
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

It's really time that another flyhalf gets a chance at the Boks. Playing with only one flyhalf just isn't working
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Jensrsa wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:30 pm It's really time that another flyhalf gets a chance at the Boks. Playing with only one flyhalf just isn't working
I concur. As long as it isn't Junkies :thumbup:

Maybe send Goosen out.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

sorCrer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:07 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:30 pm It's really time that another flyhalf gets a chance at the Boks. Playing with only one flyhalf just isn't working

Maybe send Goosen out.
I'd stick with Pollard but if not him then Goosen
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:07 pm

Maybe send Goosen out.
If you stick with Pollard you also have to stick with Willie because Willie is the backline playmaker
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Jensrsa wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:21 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:07 pm

Maybe send Goosen out.
If you stick with Pollard you also have to stick with Willie because Willie is the backline playmaker
I rate Fassi, don't understand why he isn't getting a run.

Given that the All-Blacks are next I doubt they will make too many changes. Such a shame that Snyman and PSDT are out they are really really missed.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:51 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:21 pm If you stick with Pollard you also have to stick with Willie because Willie is the backline playmaker

Given that the All-Blacks are next I doubt they will make too many changes. Such a shame that Snyman and PSDT are out they are really really missed.
Fassi isn't a playmaker. If you drop Willie for Fassi you need to bring in another playmaker, Pollard certainly isn't one and neither is DDA or Am
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Jensrsa wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:54 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:21 pm If you stick with Pollard you also have to stick with Willie because Willie is the backline playmaker

Fassi isn't a playmaker. If you drop Willie for Fassi you need to bring in another playmaker, Pollard certainly isn't one and neither is DDA or Am
It's a real pickle! I suppose Kriel could come in with Goosen. I don't rate Willemse.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:02 pm

It's a real pickle! I suppose Kriel could come in with Goosen. I don't rate Willemse.
Goosen isn't with the Boks and hasn't played flyhalf at any decent level since 2018

I know you don't like it but I'd bring in Elton with Pollard at 12, Fassi at 15. Elton and Pollard worked well at 10 and 12 in Wellington.

Elton has worked hard to fix his kicking game to fit in with the Bok plan but he still has the playmaking skills too.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Wonder if Serfontein and Estherhuizen will get a call up for the Autumn tests. They would make a good 12/13 combo.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Jensrsa wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:02 pm

Goosen isn't with the Boks and hasn't played flyhalf at any decent level since 2018

I know you don't like it but I'd bring in Elton with Pollard at 12, Fassi at 15. Elton and Pollard worked well at 10 and 12 in Wellington.

Elton has worked hard to fix his kicking game to fit in with the Bok plan but he still has the playmaking skills too.
I think that could work but I would want Willie on the bench in case Elton has one of his games where he cracks under pressure.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Play a 5/3 bench

They need to revitalise the Bok team. It's gone stale
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I thought Pollard was better last night than the week before. He asked questions of the defensive line by running with the ball and controlled the tempo of the match nicely with his kicking game. The problem that I see is that he has no plan B. He plays the same way at the start of the match as he does when the Springboks are 13 points down with 6 minutes to play.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Agreed , I thought he was miles better .

Honestly don’t think him the main problem.

I’m beginning to think this years Lions were the worst ever !!
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:08 am I thought Pollard was better last night than the week before. He asked questions of the defensive line by running with the ball and controlled the tempo of the match nicely with his kicking game. The problem that I see is that he has no plan B. He plays the same way at the start of the match as he does when the Springboks are 13 points down with 6 minutes to play.
It's difficult to have a plan B when you have the world's most 1 dimensional 12 outside you.
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 pm Wonder if Serfontein and Estherhuizen will get a call up for the Autumn tests. They would make a good 12/13 combo.
You want to replace two boshers with two boshers?
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Am is no bosher. Classy player.
naki

Post by naki »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:32 am Am is no bosher. Classy player.
Smartest Bok centre (inside or outside) I've seen since probably Fourie. The ABs are going to have to try and work around him
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:27 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:08 am I thought Pollard was better last night than the week before. He asked questions of the defensive line by running with the ball and controlled the tempo of the match nicely with his kicking game. The problem that I see is that he has no plan B. He plays the same way at the start of the match as he does when the Springboks are 13 points down with 6 minutes to play.
It's difficult to have a plan B when you have the world's most 1 dimensional 12 outside you.
Eight days ago the Springbok midfield would have been rated as the world's best.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

The Sprinkbok midfield is likely very tired. I don't recall them getting a break anytime recently.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

The biggest Problem the boks have, is that their admittedly limited gameplan does not work with the selections made by the coaches. To dominate with the forwards and ruck, scrum and maul the opposition into submission, you have to replace your whole tight five at some point. It won't work, when you have 3 locks starting (eben, lood, mostert) and none on the bench. Compare the RWC lineup, 3 locks starting ( eben, lood, psdt) and 2 on the bench (mostert, RG). Only that way you can dominate collisions and set piece throughout the whole game. Having 3 small loose forwards on the bench, as lately, is absolutely pointless for our case. If our forwards dont dominate, our game is f**ked. It's that simple.
Next week, start with 4 Eben, 5 Lood, 7 JLdP. Have Mostert and Orie on the bench.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

But Pollard felt it was the best attacking game the team has produced this year.

“It was our best attacking performance of the year in terms of finding space and getting the ball into space but we just weren’t clinical enough,” he said. “We didn’t capitalise on our opportunities and every time we got into their half or their 22, we just lost the ball too often in contact, passes didn’t stick.”

“Attack-wise, the plan was perfect but those last passes were just something we didn’t hold onto today and that was what let us down.”
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/pollard-in ... -bok-camp/
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

Great, all good then... :roll:
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Pollard is there because Jurie hates Francois Steyn and Johan Goosen, and the others are not good enough (or too old)
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

boere wors wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:08 am The biggest Problem the boks have, is that their admittedly limited gameplan does not work with the selections made by the coaches. To dominate with the forwards and ruck, scrum and maul the opposition into submission, you have to replace your whole tight five at some point. It won't work, when you have 3 locks starting (eben, lood, mostert) and none on the bench. Compare the RWC lineup, 3 locks starting ( eben, lood, psdt) and 2 on the bench (mostert, RG). Only that way you can dominate collisions and set piece throughout the whole game. Having 3 small loose forwards on the bench, as lately, is absolutely pointless for our case. If our forwards dont dominate, our game is f**ked. It's that simple.
Next week, start with 4 Eben, 5 Lood, 7 JLdP. Have Mostert and Orie on the bench.
De Jager is such a damned good player he should be starting when fit unless shockingly out of form.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

MungoMan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:47 am
boere wors wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:08 am The biggest Problem the boks have, is that their admittedly limited gameplan does not work with the selections made by the coaches. To dominate with the forwards and ruck, scrum and maul the opposition into submission, you have to replace your whole tight five at some point. It won't work, when you have 3 locks starting (eben, lood, mostert) and none on the bench. Compare the RWC lineup, 3 locks starting ( eben, lood, psdt) and 2 on the bench (mostert, RG). Only that way you can dominate collisions and set piece throughout the whole game. Having 3 small loose forwards on the bench, as lately, is absolutely pointless for our case. If our forwards dont dominate, our game is f**ked. It's that simple.
De Jager is such a damned good player he should be starting when fit unless shockingly out of form.
Took a head knock in the first game so left out yesterday as a precaution. Will be back next week.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Wilson's Toffee wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:44 am Pollard is there because Jurie hates Francois Steyn and Johan Goosen, and the others are not good enough (or too old)
Frans is an overweight hasbeen who never was a great #10 and Goosen hasn't played competatively at 10 since 2018. Both his French clubs quickly moved him from 10 to 13 and 15. The fact that he performed okay in the Recent Vodacom Cup doesn't make him an international 10
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Only slightly related, but is there still no better metric for measuring kicking ability than successful kick %?

It doesn't take into account that teams like the Boks who often score from mauls, score their tries in wide positions so the kick is harder.

Handre isn't playing well at the moment, but the alternatives are even worse...
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Lemoentjie wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:39 pm Only slightly related, but is there still no better metric for measuring kicking ability than successful kick %?

It doesn't take into account that teams like the Boks who often score from mauls, score their tries in wide positions so the kick is harder.

The alternatives don't get a chance

Beauden Barret only had 9 starts from his first 39 test while the ABs were developing him, we reject a player after one or two tests
kiap

Post by kiap »

Lemoentjie wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:39 pm Only slightly related, but is there still no better metric for measuring kicking ability than successful kick %?

https://goalkickers.co.za/ takes that into account.

But unfortutunately, aside from perhaps the Premiership in England, their databases for most rugby comps are one to three years out of date...
Sards

Post by Sards »

Jensrsa wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:53 pm

The alternatives don't get a chance

Beauden Barret only had 9 starts from his first 39 test while the ABs were developing him, we reject a player after one or two tests
Elton has never been the answer...you have flogged this poor horse to death.....pulled it back out the grave and just continued flogging its carcass