Why is Pollard in the Bok team?

All things Rugby
Jensrsa

Why is Pollard in the Bok team?

Post by Jensrsa »

Serious question: What does Pollard bring to the Bok game?
  • His goal kicking success is less that 80% (78% before today's game)
  • His up and unders are inaccurate
  • He can't use his backline
  • His penalty line kicks go 20m
  • Bok playmaking is done by Faf and Willie, not Pollard
Why is he even in the team?
sorCrer

Re: Why is Pollard in the Bok team?

Post by sorCrer »

Jensrsa wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:33 pm Serious question: What does Pollard bring to the Bok game?
:blush:
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Yep he was bad today. Cost us the test. Needs to be demoted to the bench.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Jensrsa wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:33 pm Serious question: What does Pollard bring to the Bok game?
Last point is a bit weird, Boks have long had their 9's as the big play maker with the tactics to suit. Fourie du Preez perhaps being the best ever of the professional era to do it.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:07 pm
Last point is a bit weird, Boks have long had their 9's as the big play maker with the tactics to suit. Fourie du Preez perhaps being the best ever of the professional era to do it.
One bad game does not make a bad player. Pollard was one of the main reasons why the Boks won the world cup.

Form is temporary, class is permanent
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:35 pm
One bad game does not make a bad player. Pollard was one of the main reasons why the Boks won the world cup.

+1
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Wait. Is this thread really about Junkies?
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:55 pm
Wait. Is this thread really about Junkies?
It's Jens FFS. Of course it's about Junkies.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Jens rates Junkies as the classiest of 10's. Up there with Carter, better than Wilkinson.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Chilli wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:26 pm

Jens rates Junkies as the classiest of 10's. Up there with Carter, better than Wilkinson.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Junkies is a flat track bully goes missing in the big games. He is the 4th best (if I am being generous) South African Flyhalf after Pollard, Goosen and Morne
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:34 pm
Chilli wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Junkies is a flat track bully goes missing in the big games. He is the 4th best (if I am being generous) South African Flyhalf after Pollard, Goosen and Morne
Junkies has never bullied anything, let alone a flat track.

20 pages.....nonetheless
sinba556

Post by sinba556 »

I do think Pollard is a little over-rated. His attacking game is not much better than Morne Steyn. So why not just play Steyn?
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

When he first came in to the side, wasn't he known for his ability to take on the line? He scored a few tries by exposing and breaking tackles I thought.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

He had one off game. On form he's one of the top 3 tens in the world.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

badmannotinjapan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:38 am When he first came in to the side, wasn't he known for his ability to take on the line? He scored a few tries by exposing and breaking tackles I thought.
I thought he was going to be better than Carter?
IKUR01

Post by IKUR01 »

Hes your typical SA 10. Big kick out of hand, Kicks goals.
His running threat is minimal as he has no speed or evasive skills. He has a bit of strength but no explosive power, so is just a heavy type of carrier. His defence is ok i guess. He cant control a fast tempo game so is really a one trick pony in regards of game management.
The days of the kicking 10 being world class are long gone. Imagine him trying to play for the wallabies or the AB's... He'd be out of his depth.
He certainly is not one of the best 3 10'2 in the world. He's good at what he does (most of the time) but what he can do is very limited
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:58 am He had one off game. On form he's one of the top 3 tens in the world.
Some Springbok fans can behave like AB fans in this respect.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Pollard is a class 10, it just wasn't his night.

He'll bounce back.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

booji boy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:48 am
badmannotinjapan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:38 am When he first came in to the side, wasn't he known for his ability to take on the line? He scored a few tries by exposing and breaking tackles I thought.
I thought he was going to be better than Carter?
You are thinking of Junkies.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

IKUR01 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:56 am Hes your typical SA 10. Big kick out of hand, Kicks goals.
His running threat is minimal as he has no speed or evasive skills. He has a bit of strength but no explosive power, so is just a heavy type of carrier. His defence is ok i guess. He cant control a fast tempo game so is really a one trick pony in regards of game management.
The days of the kicking 10 being world class are long gone. Imagine him trying to play for the wallabies or the AB's... He'd be out of his depth.
Eh? After Lolesio's three outings against the ABs, Ox Nche would have been an upgrade.
IKUR01

Post by IKUR01 »

MungoMan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:23 am
IKUR01 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:56 am Hes your typical SA 10. Big kick out of hand, Kicks goals.
Eh? After Lolesio's three outings against the ABs, Ox Nche would have been an upgrade.
What i mean is their game would not evolve with him at the helm. Sure Lolesio was pretty poor, but he has the game to get better. Pollard simply does not. He would only suit South Africa or any team coached by Gatland
DonJP

Post by DonJP »

Isn't the real ? not why is Pollard in the Bok team, 'but why Towny is a Bok supporter'? Or is he? Perhaps he's 'retired' after the 'raping' of his side, by the underdog Aussies! Poor old Towny must be grinding his teeth after that one. Bad for result SA, but a good one for Aus, Rennie & rugby IMO. SA are killing the game with their 1 dimensional kicking it to death & rush 'D' as almost their only tactics. Reminiscent of the 70's(?) when rugby's rules were changed to stop teams from likewise repeatedly kicking the game to death over the sideline & turning punters away. Still think that Aus may struggle nxt w/end, but we'll see. A must win for SA's cred however, especially with the AB's lying in wait. Again, we'll see, but on a neutral, dry ground? Mmmm.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

He certainly is not one of the best 3 10'2 in the world. He's good at what he does (most of the time) but what he can do is very limited
Vokof dumb nOOp poes.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

DonJP wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:27 pm Isn't the real ? not why is Pollard in the Bok team, 'but why Towny is a Bok supporter'? Or is he? Perhaps he's 'retired' after the 'raping' of his side, by the underdog Aussies! Poor old Towny must be grinding his teeth after that one. Bad for result SA, but a good one for Aus, Rennie & rugby IMO. SA are killing the game with their 1 dimensional kicking it to death & rush 'D' as almost their only tactics. Reminiscent of the 70's(?) when rugby's rules were changed to stop teams from likewise repeatedly kicking the game to death over the sideline & turning punters away. Still think that Aus may struggle nxt w/end, but we'll see. A must win for SA's cred however, especially with the AB's lying in wait. Again, we'll see, but on a neutral, dry ground? Mmmm.
Another vokken stupid nOOp. Vokof back in your hole.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:35 pmOne bad game does not make a bad player. Pollard was one of the main reasons why the Boks won the world cup.

Okay, but if he's off-form do you still pick him? He wasn't especially good in the Lions series either.

I suppose it depends on alternatives.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Rugby2023 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:26 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:35 pmOne bad game does not make a bad player. Pollard was one of the main reasons why the Boks won the world cup.

Okay, but if he's off-form do you still pick him? He wasn't especially good in the Lions series either.

I think Pollard is better than any of the alternatives. Closest is Goosen
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

mdaclarke wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:33 pm

Who is the more reliable goal-kicker? Possibility of bringing Goosen into the side in another position?
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Rugby2023 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:40 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:33 pm

Who is the more reliable goal-kicker? Possibility of bringing Goosen into the side in another position?
Steyn by a country mile but I don't think he offers enough going forward
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Some of the Boks looked their age a bit, I thought.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

He had a bad day at the office against Australia, okay. But imho, this is his constant biggest weakness nobody talks about. We had a penalty yesterday on our own 22, he only gets the ball out before the halfway line. And this is the standart, it was a perfect kick by his accounts. Imagine a Frans Steyn there. He would bang the ball to the oppositions 22m line. Remember that clearance from our in-goal area in Twickenham 2008, it went over the halfway line, 55m or more and resulted in a try by Jaque Fourie. What a weapon his boot has been (still could be) for the boks. Furthermore, Pollard always misses the long range penalties he takes, RWC final for example. Frans has won us games with that. It's bothering me every time I see it. Even Damian gave us some good 35 to 40 meters with his penalty kicks to the line in the lead up to our last maul try, and likewise Morne in the 3rd Lions test.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

The x Lion players love the kick passing, Elton to the wing, Faf in the sky or over the dead ball line.

Willie and Pollard should learn this skill.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

wamberal wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:30 pm Some of the Boks looked their age a bit, I thought.
Eh? The only player over 30 in the starting lineup was Vermeulen.

More likely affected by 2 weeks of quarantine and playing in front of a crowd for the first time in 2 years.

Australia were outscored 3 tries to 1 and were lucky (in the context of the scoreboard and time remaining) to get a win at the death through that penalty which was a bit dodgy anyway. Australia were definitely the better team on the day.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Riiiiiiight .
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Eugenius wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:00 am Riiiiiiight .
Bit muted from you Eugie. How is your art gallery doing?
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

sorCrer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:55 am
wamberal wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:30 pm Some of the Boks looked their age a bit, I thought.

More likely affected by 2 weeks of quarantine and playing in front of a crowd for the first time in 2 years.

Australia were outscored 3 tries to 1 and were lucky (in the context of the scoreboard and time remaining) to get a win at the death through that penalty which was a bit dodgy anyway. Australia were definitely the better team on the day.
I was thinking of Vermeulen, and Pollard. But when Phillip was binned I fully expected the Boks to tear us a new one. We held our own with 14.

You guys are the world champions, after all. We are a lo-o-o-o-ong way from the top. As for tries scored, when they are from rolling mauls they are not more worthy than penalty kicks, in my view.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

wamberal wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:45 am
sorCrer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:55 am

I was thinking of Vermeulen, and Pollard. But when Phillip was binned I fully expected the Boks to tear us a new one. We held our own with 14.

You guys are the world champions, after all. We are a lo-o-o-o-ong way from the top. As for tries scored, when they are from rolling mauls they are not more worthy than penalty kicks, in my view.
Pollard is 27.

I'm not a huge fan of rolling mauls either as they can be so contentiously reffed but we have to have space for the fatties to play the game or else it will lose all it's appeal and we can play league.
The Native

Post by The Native »

sorCrer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:58 am I'm not a huge fan of rolling mauls either as they can be so contentiously reffed but we have to have space for the fatties to play the game or else it will lose all it's appeal and we can play league.
No. Your forwards don't have ball playing ability and the Boks play a limited game so players that do have ball playing ability will not make the team.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

The Native wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01 am
sorCrer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:58 am I'm not a huge fan of rolling mauls either as they can be so contentiously reffed but we have to have space for the fatties to play the game or else it will lose all it's appeal and we can play league.
No. Your forwards don't have ball playing ability and the Boks play a limited game so players that do have ball playing ability will not make the team.
I'm talking about all ages and nations.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

The Native wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01 am
Ball playing abilities include kicking.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »