Prince Andrew's legal problems and jurisdiction.

All things Rugby
Brumbie_Steve

Prince Andrew's legal problems and jurisdiction.

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

From what is being reported the Victim is suing PA in a US civil court. Some talking head was saying they would be issuing subpoenas etc. Which all sounds reasonable if she was suing a US citizen.

In this instance the defendant is a British Royal and a UK citizen, surely the Prince is entitled to tell the US judge and courts to go and fudge themselves. Similarly the government would surely be telling the US where to jump off.

Regardless of the merits of the case etc I am wondering how the US courts believe they have jurisdiction.
Muttonbirds

Re: Prince Andrew's legal problems and jurisdiction.

Post by Muttonbirds »

Reckon they should try him in absentia.

I'd tune in.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:23 am From what is being reported the Victim is suing PA in a US civil court. Some talking head was saying they would be issuing subpoenas etc. Which all sounds reasonable if she was suing a US citizen.

In this instance the defendant is a British Royal and a UK citizen, surely the Prince is entitled to tell the US judge and courts to go and fudge themselves. Similarly the government would surely be telling the US where to jump off.

Regardless of the merits of the case etc I am wondering how the US courts believe they have jurisdiction.
Because the crime was allegedly committed in the US to a US citizen obviously
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:23 am From what is being reported the Victim is suing PA in a US civil court. Some talking head was saying they would be issuing subpoenas etc. Which all sounds reasonable if she was suing a US citizen.

Because the alleged offence happened in the US to an American citizen.
Andrew's ostrichism has put him firmly on the backfoot now. Best he try to get ahead of this or it will cause massive embarrassment to his Mum and indeed the entire UK.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

The Sun God wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:26 am

Andrew's ostrichism has put him firmly on the backfoot now. Best he try to get ahead of this or it will cause massive embarrassment to his Mum and indeed the entire UK.
Thought the lady in question was Australian.

Agree - best he doesn’t drive around in Paris.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:32 am

Thought the lady in question was Australian.

Agree - best he doesn’t drive around in Paris.
Californian, I believe but married to an Aussie.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:25 am Reckon they should try him in absentia.

I'd tune in.
You moron
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:49 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:25 am Reckon they should try him in absentia.

I'd tune in.
You moron
Why are you protecting a sex tourist?
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

I thought the alleged offence occurred in the UK and the Bahamas.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:31 am

But she was 'trafficked' from the US, allegedly.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

It's not an offence in the UK or Bahamas
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:51 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:49 am

I'd tune in.
You moron
Why are you protecting a sex tourist?
I'm not protecting you
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

The grand old Duke of York, he had ten thousand men.

Eventually he got bored tho’ and switched to shagging young lasses. Very young lasses.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Trade him in for Anne Sacoolas.
You can call me Bill

Post by You can call me Bill »

I guess the argument is that she was trafficked from the US to the UK, and that he was therefore some kind of accessory to a crime committed in the US.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Prince Andrew should go to this. He's a cancer anyway and a bigge r one given the continuous bad headlines. If he's innocent as he claims then he should be able to prove otherwise. If he's not, justice will be swerved f#ck him.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Get ready for another round og Meghan bashing by the British media to try and bury the Andrew story.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:57 am

Prince Andrew should go to this. He's a cancer anyway and a bigge r one given the continuous bad headlines. If he's innocent as he claims then he should be able to prove otherwise. If he's not, justice will be swerved f#ck him.
Forget about the merits of this case but fark proving your innocence. That is just bullshit
You can call me Bill

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:04 am

Forget about the merits of this case but fark proving your innocence. That is just bullshit
If the alleged crime (in the US) is involvement in the trafficking of an under age female for sex from the US, then I don't see how he has much to worry about in terms of legal innocence, even based on balance of probabilities.

To me the issue is more having to make the choice of perjuring himself to a US court, OR admitting to a) having lied (in the Maitland interview) to the British general public (never going to be a great look) and b) having had sex or sexual contact with a 17 year old who was being paid by others (a total disaster).
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:36 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:04 am

If the alleged crime (in the US) is involvement in the trafficking of an under age female for sex from the US, then I don't see how he has much to worry about in terms of legal innocence, even based on balance of probabilities.

To me the issue is more having to make the choice of perjuring himself to a US court, OR admitting to a) having lied (in the Maitland interview) to the British general public (never going to be a great look) and b) having had sex or sexual contact with a 17 year old who was being paid by others (a total disaster).
For all the twisting and turning he's doing to try to evade the issue, whether he gets away with it or not, the shit is gonna stick, and the stink will last for a long time. Betty will not be amused. He will disappear from view, forever. I see Ginger Minge is sticking with him...
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

He's on the run no doubt about it.

How long will he stay in Balmoral?
message #2527204

You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:55 am

I guess the argument is that she was trafficked from the US to the UK, and that he was therefore some kind of accessory to a crime committed in the US.
The argument was initially that he had knowledge that he should provide the yank authorities. Then it became underage sex with this girl, until they found out she was over 16 unlike in her initial claim.
If i was one of the bored conspiracy theorists, I'd certainly say it's a stitch up.
Andrew's an arms dealer facilitator and a renowned idiot. He's certainly pissed off enough people.
C69

Post by C69 »

message #2527204 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:51 am
You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:55 am

The argument was initially that he had knowledge that he should provide the yank authorities. Then it became underage sex with this girl, until they found out she was over 16 unlike in her initial claim.
If i was one of the bored conspiracy theorists, I'd certainly say it's a stitch up.
Andrew's an arms dealer facilitator and a renowned idiot. He's certainly pissed off enough people.
Can you link the intial claim where she said she was under 16 when Andrew raped her.I have never seen that.
You can call me Bill

What I don't get is what the girl was doing in London.

The suggestion seems to be something like this:

Maxwell: "Hey Andrew, what's up ?"
Andrew: "Jeffrey, nice to hear from you, how are you ?"
Maxwell: "All good with me thank you your highness. How's tricks ?"
Andrew: "Yeah, yeah, not bad. Business is good. Shooting's great at the moment. Plenty to keep me occupied if you know what I mean haha ?"
Maxwell: "Aghhhh. You don't change Andy"
Andrew: "To what do I owe this pleasure ?"
Maxwell: "Just letting you know that I'm heading over to England Tuesday for a few days"
Andrew: "Oh wow. Great. You bringing Ghislaine ?"
Maxwell: "Yep, GG's coming"
Andrew: "Well, we must all meet up. Let me know when you're here"
Maxwell: "OK, great, will do"
Andrew: "Excellent. Well listen, have a great flight. You coming over on one of your I presume ?"
Maxwell: "Yeah, will take one of the Lears"
Andrew: "A good flight it will be then haha"
Maxwell: "Yeah. Hey listen Andy, one more thing..."
Andrew: "Go on..."
Maxwell: "I've got this little blonde thing, 17, who we retain for....entertainment purposes"
Andrew: "I'm listening"
Maxwell: "Well, I'm sure you've got some of the most eligible women in the world queueing up to sleep with you again, but, is it worth me bringing her over ?"
Andrew: "You'd get her to sleep with me you mean ?"
Maxwell: "Of course. Hey Andy, that's what she's paid for"
Andrew: "Yeah, errrrr. OK. Can't see anything wrong in that. Look forward to it. Shall we say Thursday afternoon then ?"
Maxwell: "Sounds great. See you then"
Andrew: "See you. Bye, Bye"

He's clearly lying in the Maitland interview. He knew the girl. In fact, I think it's likely that they had sex, and she's spent the rest of her life ever since pining after him and hoping for him to acknowledge her. But why did she come to London ? Because I do not believe it was to sleep with Andrew, and if it was, then I definitely do not believe that he knew about it in advance, or that he was involved in her departure from the States for illegal purposes.
message #2527204

You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:21 pm What I don't get is what the girl was doing in London.

Andrew: "Yeah, yeah, not bad. Business is good. Shooting's great at the moment. Plenty to keep me occupied if you know what I mean haha ?"
Maxwell: "Just letting you know that I'm heading over to England Tuesday for a few days"
Andrew: "Excellent. Well listen, have a great flight. You coming over on one of your I presume ?"
Maxwell: "I've got this little blonde thing, 17, who we retain for....entertainment purposes"
Maxwell: "Well, I'm sure you've got some of the most eligible women in the world queueing up to sleep with you again, but, is it worth me bringing her over ?"
Andrew: "Yeah, errrrr. OK. Can't see anything wrong in that. Look forward to it. Shall we say Thursday afternoon then ?"

He's clearly lying in the Maitland interview. He knew the girl. In fact, I think it's likely that they had sex, and she's spent the rest of her life ever since pining after him and hoping for him to acknowledge her. But why did she come to London ? Because I do not believe it was to sleep with Andrew, and if it was, then I definitely do not believe that he knew about it in advance, or that he was involved in her departure from the States for illegal purposes.
Clearly
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:21 pm What I don't get is what the girl was doing in London.

Two things... Firstly, why is Jeffrey referred to as Maxwell in this conversation?

And secondly in this civil case, she's accusing him of sexual assault in 3 locations... NY, London and the US Virgin Islands... so not just about the London trip.
You can call me Bill

Grandpa wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:31 pm

Two things... Firstly, why is Jeffrey referred to as Maxwell in this conversation?

And secondly in this civil case, she's accusing him of sexual assault in 3 locations... NY, London and the US Virgin Islands... so not just about the London trip.
2 good points
message #2527204

Civil case, so clearly not enough evidence for a criminal court, even in the land of who-pays-wins. It's a nonsense, but she'll make her money on selling the rights to her story.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Would Andrew have diplomatic immunity as a Royal when he travels abroad?
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

TheFrog wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:41 pm Would Andrew have diplomatic immunity as a Royal when he travels abroad?
No...
Prince Andrew does not have diplomatic immunity, yet may never be the subject of an enforceable civil judgement by American courts.

Although experts agreed Andrew would be unlikely to be entitled to avail of diplomatic immunity, this may ultimately prove irrelevant given the difficulties and delays involved in the legal process of holding him to account.

This is despite the fanfare that accompanied last week’s assault on him by the famed American litigator David Boies, on behalf of Virginia Roberts Giuffre, the woman who claims she was flown to London, New York, and the U.S. Virgin Islands to have sex with Andrew when she was 17. She says she was “forced to have sexual intercourse with Prince Andrew against her will.” The suit details offenses including “rape in the first degree.”

Boise argued in a BBC interview that Andrew’s behavior “is not acceptable” and that he “cannot hide behind wealth and power and palace walls.”

However all legal experts agree it is in fact impossible to force Andrew to appear in an American court to defend himself against Giuffre’s civil suit. Indeed, Boies himself has implicitly conceded this very point, saying that if Andrew “thumbs his nose” at the American courts he will incur a “default judgement.”

There may be little for Andrew to fear in such a verdict.

Mark Stephens, of law firm Howard Kennedy (who is currently litigating another high-profile transatlantic case, acting for the family of Harry Dunn, the British motorcyclist who was killed by Anne Sacoolas, the wife of an American intelligence agent who then fled the U.K. claiming diplomatic immunity) said that reaching a default judgement could take as long as twenty years.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/prince-an ... y-in-court
message #2527204

TheFrog wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:41 pm Would Andrew have diplomatic immunity as a Royal when he travels abroad?
No.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Every body knows this is a civil case right ?

All this “jurisdiction “ stuff is irrelevant.

The man should of course give an interview and take what’s coming from the FBI.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

bimboman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:08 pm Every body knows this is a civil case right ?

The man should of course give an interview and take what’s coming from the FBI.
I just did a "Control F" on this page and "Civil" is mentioned 21 times... so hopefully everybody knows... :D
You can call me Bill

bimboman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:08 pm Every body knows this is a civil case right ?

Jurisdictional challenges are common place in civil disputes.
Last edited by You can call me Bill on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Great, no one gets extradited or needs diplomatic immunity though.
You can call me Bill

bimboman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:00 pm

You might as well argue that the whole proceedings are irrelevant then hadn't you ?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:07 pm

You might as well argue that the whole proceedings are irrelevant then hadn't you ?

Depends, if it’s allowed to go ahead without his attendance the evidence could be dynamite, the whole “pizza express” thing for example .... that’s a massive danger for the family.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Hi Everyone, just popping in to see what contratrian and highly knowledgeable position Bimbot would take in this one.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

sorCrer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:18 pm Hi Everyone, just popping in to see what contratrian and highly knowledgeable position Bimbot would take in this one.

And you’ll find it’s none of those things.

Hard day at the “mine” ?
You can call me Bill

bimboman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:11 pm
You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:07 pm

Depends, if it’s allowed to go ahead without his attendance the evidence could be dynamite, the whole “pizza express” thing for example .... that’s a massive danger for the family.
Aha, right so your concern is with regards to whether or not he is compelled to attend the hearing.

My understanding is that the "jurisdiction stuff" relates to whether the proceedings may commence at all, with or without Randy Andy's presence.