Rugby Championship: Wallabies vs Springbokke: MATCH THREAD: Sat 18th Sept

All things Rugby
TranceNRG

Re: Rugby Championship: Wallabies vs Springbokke: MATCH THREAD: Sat 18th Sept

Post by TranceNRG »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:09 pm
TranceNRG wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 am
Bindi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:20 am How has Cooper suddenly learned to tackle properly?
He's a completely different player isn't he? It's like all parts of his game has improved. He used to be a poor tackler but now he's defnitely at the front of the line and doesn't miss tackles.
My wife even remarked that he is a better player. This is the player he should have been 10 years ago. He is unflustered and measured under pressure. Can he last 2 more years?
It will be great if he can keep this form and composure for the next 2 years. Wallabies winning the world cup with Cooper at 10 would be the ultimate feel good story.

I don't think his defence/tackling was this good when he was in Australia. So he must have improved whilst in Japan which is weird as he wasns't in even playing in their top league (it was the 2nd division as far as I know) and Top league is not known for physical rugby.
Last edited by TranceNRG on Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:16 pm Next week is going to be a cricket score. The Boks are going to get pumped.
I am not so sure. Boks seem to step up when they play All Blacks.
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

TranceNRG wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:22 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:16 pm Next week is going to be a cricket score. The Boks are going to get pumped.
Yeah, I think the Boks played the Wallabies but are focused on the All Blacks.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Well done Wobblies :thumbup:
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

flaggETERNAL wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:24 pm
One thing I do notice is that the Boks have a habit of slumping between World Cups and Lions Tours only to peak again for the really big occasions.

Think they are really missing PSDT and Snyman. I also think Janse Van Rensburg is a loss.
brat

Post by brat »

mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:51 pm
One thing I do notice is that the Boks have a habit of slumping between World Cups and Lions Tours only to peak again for the really big occasions.

Think they are really missing PSDT and Snyman. I also think Janse Van Rensburg is a loss.
What you mean once every 12 yrs..must be shit being a bok fan

Thankfully rugby is measured by more than just a tournament every 4 yrs
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:10 pm
TranceNRG wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:26 am Dunny Bill..."Hey bro". So cringeworthy. What an embarrassement. He must be there to attract league fans or something?
He's terrible isn't he.
He's a hell of a lot better than Phil Kearns.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Let’s be honest, in the last RWC they played really well once against England who had blown their load against the All Blacks the week before. The Boks got beaten by the All
Blacks in pool play, beat Japan in the quarter then scrapped past a shithouse Wales in the semi. These two results put the Lions series into perspective as well.
Olo

Post by Olo »

obelixtim wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:33 pm
TranceNRG wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:26 am Dunny Bill..."Hey bro". So cringeworthy. What an embarrassement. He must be there to attract league fans or something?
He's terrible isn't he.
Yes he is. I dont mind him and all of the other commentators, the players and the coaches respect him a great deal. He has his own way of communicating, which may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but his observations are spot on.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

The Native wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:39 pm

Let’s be honest, in the last RWC they played really well once against England who had blown their load against the All Blacks the week before. The Boks got beaten by the All
Blacks in pool play, beat Japan in the quarter then scrapped past a shithouse Wales in the semi. These two results put the Lions series into perspective as well.
Victims of believing their own hype. World champions this, world number one that. Lots of big talk. Wobs wimps, ABs are scared of them etc etc....

Then running into the reality truck. I picked the Wobs to beat them both times, because the Wobs had the benefit of a tough build up against the ABs.

Play like that next week and the ABs will put 50 on you. And thats with Fozzie in charge...
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Olo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:39 am That was clear red by the Bok prop at the end. No question it was intentional contact to the head with the shoulder after the whistle. Ref was desperate to give Swinton a red but didn’t want to give one at the end?
Clear red. Hopefully sanction is given this week.
It’s amazing what refs fart around with talking themselves in to reds then down to yellow with the Wallaby 6 / Bok 8 mostly accidental head clash. But a flying head butt into a ruck needs 30 replays to eek out a yellow. Trust he’ll be cited.

Congrats Wallabies. Great win and building nicely.

Enjoyed it more than our game.
Last edited by mr bungle on Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olo

Post by Olo »

We always seem to trouble the Boks and they in turn match up well against the ABs. In recent years the Pumas have given us trouble. Next week both games will be interesting.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Congrats Wallabies and Wallaby fans

I had the good fortune today to only watch the first half due to "personal reasons".

Anyone who still think Nienaber is qualified to coach the Boks without his puppet master needs to see a psychologist
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Olo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:48 pm We always seem to trouble the Boks and they in turn match up well against the ABs. In recent years the Pumas have given us trouble. Next week both games will be interesting.
The Boks don’t typically match up well to NZ either. There may be an impression they fire up more for the old foe but 3 wins from last 21 tests is pathetic.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Is Nienaber now going to play the B team against the ABs as the A team isn't working?
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

mr bungle wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:51 pm
Olo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:48 pm We always seem to trouble the Boks and they in turn match up well against the ABs. In recent years the Pumas have given us trouble. Next week both games will be interesting.
The Boks don’t typically match up well to NZ either. There may be an impression they fire up more for the old foe but 3 wins from last 21 tests is pathetic.
Even Australia has managed 4 wins in 21... though SA and Australia have a pretty even record against each other in the last decade?
Skiaddict

Post by Skiaddict »

Not sure that the Water Boy would have helped today. Congrats to the Wallabies for a bonus point win and going 2 for 2 against the Bokke. I'm certain that Fozzie has taken note and will keep ball in hand and run at them. Have to say it but Rennie showed Gats exactly how it should be done. Hooper is pure class.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Grandpa wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:55 pm
Even Australia has managed 4 wins in 21... though SA and Australia have a pretty even record against each other in the last decade?
If we had a coach instead of a puppet I would have been a bit more positive about competing with the ABs

As things stand now, less so, especially as the "A team" should have been rested today to prepare for the ABs. They weren't, which means that at some point the "B team" players will have to be used
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

obelixtim wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:33 pm
He's terrible isn't he.
At the risk of being obvious, Phil Kearns was on the Australian commentary, hamming it up for an Australian audience. You precious twats weren't meant to like him poking holes in the dark aura.

Looks like he succeeded - beyond expectations. You're still whining about him. :lol:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

mr bungle wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:47 pm
Olo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:39 am That was clear red by the Bok prop at the end. No question it was intentional contact to the head with the shoulder after the whistle. Ref was desperate to give Swinton a red but didn’t want to give one at the end?
It’s amazing what refs fart around with talking themselves in to reds then down to yellow with the Wallaby 6 / Bok 8 mostly accidental head clash. But a flying head butt into a ruck needs 30 replays to eek out a yellow. Trust he’ll be cited.

Totally agree. Refs tripping over themselves to make mistakes we're all sitting at home calling with more accuracy. Reform dearly needed
Olo

Post by Olo »

The stats don’t lie. So why are these mongs going on about “our only rival blah blah blah”? Either way next week will be good for both games. Rennie will probably make some changes to give some of the boys a break and the Boks will be forced into playing their best side, or near to it, again. I wonder if they will get past playing their own brand of rugby?
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

jdogscoop wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:44 pm

Totally agree. Refs tripping over themselves to make mistakes we're all sitting at home calling with more accuracy. Reform dearly needed
Perhaps this reffing incompetence should have consequences?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ellafan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:46 pm

I don't blame the refs as much as I do the opaque laws.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

jdogscoop wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:53 pm

The laws are an absolute shit-show regarding this facet of play. If Swinton was given a red card for that it would have made a farcical joke out of the entire sport. That the referee was seemingly falling over himself to pull a red card was just bizarre.

The clean-out on Kerevi was a hundred times worse ... and what about the swinging thumb to Cooper's eye? The referee didn't even want to look at it. It's completely ridiculous and totally inconsistent. "It was accidental"? Maybe. I hope so anyway! But so what? It was still careless and dangerous. "I didn't see anything" ... that's because you didn't even look.

I'm not complaining that we got "hard done by" here. I'm complaining that the laws regarding dangerous play are all over the place and a complete joke. I'm all for limiting and punishing dangerous play. But this is just not the way.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:06 pm

The laws are an absolute shit-show regarding this facet of play. If Swinton was given a red card for that it would have made a farcical joke out of the entire sport. That the referee was seemingly falling over himself to pull a red card was just bizarre.

The clean-out on Kerevi was a hundred times worse ... and what about the swinging thumb to Cooper's eye? The referee didn't even want to look at it. It's completely ridiculous and totally inconsistent. "It was accidental"? Maybe. I hope so anyway! But so what? It was still careless and dangerous. "I didn't see anything" ... that's because you didn't even look.

I'm not complaining that we got "hard done by" here. I'm complaining that the laws regarding dangerous play are all over the place and a complete joke. I'm all for limiting and punishing dangerous play. But this is just not the way.
I completely agree. Dangerously inconsistent.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Please also have a look at how Banks broke his arm. :thumbup:
Olo

Post by Olo »

sorCrer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Please also have a look at how Banks broke his arm. :thumbup:
Theoretically a red or yellow as well. No question. The difference was that it was not intentional.
naki

Post by naki »

Very efficient use of the ball from the Wobs, they seemed to score off most of their legitimate chances. The Boks looked farcial when they tried to string passes together, maybe just stick to the bosh and box kick against the ABs
Olo

Post by Olo »

Watched the game again and there were two red card offences, one went unpunished and the other received a feeble yellow.

Attempted and successful eye gouge with thumb by de Koch on Quade after the pill had been cleared from the breakdown. The second the shoulder charge to the head of Kerevi by the reserve back rower after the whistle had blown. Both intentional and pure grubbery.
Some things never change. Its a shame that these blokes felt the need to try and harm the head of the opposition players. Eye gouging? fudge, are we still in the 70s?

Tom Banks also made contact with the Bok wingers head(and broke it) and could also have been carded but not intentional.

Edit - His arm, not the wingers scone. de Kock needs a lengthy ban. The yellow for the other will most likely stand.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Olo wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:09 am Watched the game again and there were two red card offences, one went unpunished and the other received a feeble yellow.

Attempted and successful eye gouge with thumb by de Koch on Quade after the pill had been cleared from the breakdown. The second the shoulder charge to the head of Kerevi by the reserve back rower after the whistle had blown. Both intentional and pure grubbery.
Some things never change. Its a shame that these blokes felt the need to try and harm the head of the opposition players. Eye gouging? fudge, are we still in the 70s?

Tom Banks also made contact with the Bok wingers head(and broke it) and could also have been carded but not intentional.

Edit - His arm, not the wingers scone. de Kock needs a lengthy ban. The yellow for the other will most likely stand.
I thought Wiese was an obvious red.

Banks also technically red. Intention is irrelevant.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

:smug:
Pakia Pakia wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:47 am
Olo wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:09 am Watched the game again and there were two red card offences, one went unpunished and the other received a feeble yellow.

I thought Wiese was an obvious red.

Banks also technically red. Intention is irrelevant.
I think they would have talked it down to yellow based on mitigating factors (Banks low, attempted to wrap/bind, player perhaps not able to be sighted), but yeah, it could have been red too.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Ellafan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:32 pm

At the risk of being obvious, Phil Kearns was on the Australian commentary, hamming it up for an Australian audience. You precious twats weren't meant to like him poking holes in the dark aura.

Looks like he succeeded - beyond expectations. You're still whining about him. :lol:
I thought he was a pathetic excuse for a rugby commentator, particularly in his first few years. He had absolutely nothing insightful to say at all, even about the scrums which, one would have thought, he might have had some expertise.

Most of the Foxtel commentators were dreadful.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I was stunned at how the ref was almost gagging to give Swinton a red card and had to be convinced otherwise...but then let a bloke shoulder charge a prone player in the head after the whistle.

Just weird.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Thomas wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:54 am I was stunned at how the ref was almost gagging to give Swinton a red card and had to be convinced otherwise...but then let a bloke shoulder charge a prone player in the head after the whistle.

Just weird.
The officiating was poor.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

wamberal wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:19 am
Ellafan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:32 pm

I thought he was a pathetic excuse for a rugby commentator, particularly in his first few years. He had absolutely nothing insightful to say at all, even about the scrums which, one would have thought, he might have had some expertise.

Most of the Foxtel commentators were dreadful.

He was pitiful , a terrible whiner and seemed very bitter .

Got worse and worse .
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Thomas wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:54 am I was stunned at how the ref was almost gagging to give Swinton a red card and had to be convinced otherwise...but then let a bloke shoulder charge a prone player in the head after the whistle.

Just weird.
I also hated the way the review of the incident killed what was an intriguing and suspenseful end to the match. With 90 seconds to go the excitement of the contest was completely killed with a 3 minute review process.
naki

Post by naki »

Just weird.
Saw the game with the sound off, what was the reasoning there? For Swinton it looked like a penalty, yellow at the absolute worst, and Wiese's I just assumed would be a straight red. Looked like direct contact to the head with force, no mitigation. Replays weren't conclusive?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

naki wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:04 am

Just weird.
Saw the game with the sound off, what was the reasoning there? For Swinton it looked like a penalty, yellow at the absolute worst, and Wiese's I just assumed would be a straight red. Looked like direct contact to the head with force, no mitigation. Replays weren't conclusive?
He went straight to red card reasoning with Swinton saying he hit him with a shoulder charge and then head clash. The TMO basically talked him out of it. Dude was frothing to pull out that card.

For the Wiese incident...I don't know what his reasoning was. He said the mitigating circumstance was that Kerevi was low to the ground. To me it was a clear shoulder charge to the head.

His dismissal of the Quade Cooper eye incident was pretty infuriating. He kept laughing saying "I didn't see anything there" meanwhile the replay on the big screen shows the Saffa have one go at Cooper then, after the ball is gone, reach down and have another go at his face.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Let's face it, the ref was shit. NH refs are no better than SH refs.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Thomas wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:13 am
naki wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:04 am

Just weird.
He went straight to red card reasoning with Swinton saying he hit him with a shoulder charge and then head clash. The TMO basically talked him out of it. Dude was frothing to pull out that card.

For the Wiese incident...I don't know what his reasoning was. He said the mitigating circumstance was that Kerevi was low to the ground. To me it was a clear shoulder charge to the head.

His dismissal of the Quade Cooper eye incident was pretty infuriating. He kept laughing saying "I didn't see anything there" meanwhile the replay on the big screen shows the Saffa have one go at Cooper then, after the ball is gone, reach down and have another go at his face.
The high hits and mistiming you can understand a bit of scope with regard to the sanction, but eye gouging? No, there can be no leeway. The first hand to the face contact could have been accidental but the second was a clear gouge with the thumb. Surely the powers that be will have a look at it? There is no place in the game for it. By the end of the game it looked as though de Cock had been put through the ringers, like 3 or four packs had trampled on his face. So maybe retribution was forth coming at the bottom of a couple of rucks?