Michael Hooper

All things Rugby
Bindi

Michael Hooper

Post by Bindi »

...will surpass George Gregan for most matches as Australian captain this weekend.

Not the best of captains over the years, but what a player. Has likely missed a lot of accolades due to being part of a declining team, but will go down as one of our greatest ever.
sorCrer

Re: Michael Hooper

Post by sorCrer »

Plays his heart out every week. :thumbup:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Bindi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:17 am ...will surpass George Gregan for most matches as Australian captain this weekend.

Not the best of captains over the years, but what a player. Has likely missed a lot of accolades due to being part of a declining team, but will go down as one of our greatest ever.
Yeah agreed. Great player unfortunately born into a weak era of Wallabies rugby. Gregan won a world cup and held the Bledisloe for a long time amongst many other successful winning records. Hooper hasn't had that level of success but he has been equally proud and committed to the Wallaby jersey. Congratulations to him. :thumbup:
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

sorCrer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:23 am Plays his heart out every week. :thumbup:
That's all you can ask for in a player really. Always plays 80 mins, and goes hard for every one of them.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Massive heart, great player. Would make any World starting squad.
IKUR01

Post by IKUR01 »

bloody legend he is. pound for pound the toughest guy playing the game. wish there was a southern hem team (like the british lions). Imagine him with the best forwards from the boks and AB's.
trapper

Post by trapper »

If he doesn’t gain at least a nomination for world player of the year I would be mightily surprised.
He reminds me of McCaw in that he gets absolutely smashed in every game he plays but never seems to get injured beyond a few bruises or stitches. It’s incredibly really. :thumbup:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

:thumbup:

This is probably the best season he's played in a while. I think the season in Japan did him good.

He's been one of the best on pitch for every intl game this season. Has to be in the running for world rugby player of the year, particularly if the Wallabies can end the season on a high. Realistically, it wouldn't be outrageous for us to win our remaining games, or go close. Of course, it wouldn't be outrageous for the wheels to fall off and us lose them all either...
Noob

Post by Noob »

Zakar wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:00 pm :thumbup:

This is probably the best season he's played in a while. I think the season in Japan did him good.

He's been one of the best on pitch for every intl game this season. Has to be in the running for world rugby player of the year, particularly if the Wallabies can end the season on a high. Realistically, it wouldn't be outrageous for us to win our remaining games, or go close. Of course, it wouldn't be outrageous for the wheels to fall off and us lose them all either...
Do you expect to win again this week? Do you think the last win has given your team the belief to pull it together

I think with some practce at taking the high ball and keeping the aggro from last game you guys can give the boks another nasty night!
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ......onya Michael Hooper.......big motor big commitment to the Oz cause.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

His return from Japan has been very impressive …
I’ve never warmed to him but he’s an awesome player and bleeds rugby. As mentioned above would be 1st pick 7 if available for the all blacks …
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Total respect for Hooper -- he gives absolute commitment, is fearless, has a huge engine, and never ever eases off.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Noob wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:59 pm

Do you expect to win again this week? Do you think the last win has given your team the belief to pull it together

I think with some practce at taking the high ball and keeping the aggro from last game you guys can give the boks another nasty night!
I don't expect it but it's certainly possible. At suncorp, a week after winning without playing our best, we're certainly in the fight.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I dont think I ever expect the Wallabys to win.

We could be playing an under strength Uruguay and I would still be concerned we will lose.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Undoubtedly a phenomenal player. Walks into a World XV IMO.

In fariness though, he's a pretty average captain who has cost the Wobs on more than one occasion by refusing to take an easy 3 points. It's probably a testament to the instability around him that he was often one of the few nailed on selections, and therefore racked up so many tests as captain.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

He seems to be taking better options as captain now.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Bindi wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:46 am He seems to be taking better options as captain now.
I think there is a better leadership team around him, with good international experience. Players like JOC, Slipper, AAA and White are all experienced, have been captains of state teams and have played around the world. He isnt on his own any more.
Plus Hooper has always been a guy that could kick for the corners and score tries off the weight of him alone. So he took that option through his career. Unfortunately at the top level there are players as good as him so it doesnt always work. But he didnt know better.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:29 am
Noob wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:59 pm

I don't expect it but it's certainly possible. At suncorp, a week after winning without playing our best, we're certainly in the fight.
I think the Wallabies saw what South Africa had to offer and now think "if we match them in the forwards, we'll win" I mean, I'm expecting South Africa to bounce back and maybe sneak a tight one but if you nullify their strengths, they have no Plan B to fall back on.

Personally, I just want to see some boorish Saffa fans eat more humble pie.
RoscoPColtrain

Post by RoscoPColtrain »

Fantastic player and seems a great bloke. Reminds me a lot of McCaw in the way he conducts himself and commitment. Gets a lot more respect from opposition fans too for some reason.
puku

Post by puku »

Once he divorced himself from the "Pooper", he has come into his own.

He reminds me a lot of Heinrich Brüssow in stature and the way he plays the game, particularly at the breakdown.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Brilliant again.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

puku wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:48 am He reminds me a lot of Heinrich Brüssow in stature and the way he plays the game, particularly at the breakdown.
Am I missing something? He plays nothing like Brussow, at the breakdown or in any other facet. The only similarity is that they are both very good no.7s.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Incredible player.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Champion. Warrior. So often the best Wallaby on the park.

Go well legend. :thumbup:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:20 am
puku wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:48 am He reminds me a lot of Heinrich Brüssow in stature and the way he plays the game, particularly at the breakdown.
Am I missing something? He plays nothing like Brussow, at the breakdown or in any other facet. The only similarity is that they are both very good no.7s.
The only other factor that is similar is Brussow was Hooper were 'smallish' 7's.
Noob

Post by Noob »

They play nothing alike. Their shape is probably the only thing although i reckon Hooper is slightly larger

Great game again by Hooper!
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

More like George Smith than anyone.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

I agree AC. I think Brussow played more like Pocock (Pocock was the better player IMO).
Hooper is a such a skillful player with a very high work rate. He probably has the biggest engine of all the forwards. He also puts his body on the line every week. Can't believe he's played so many tests and he's only 29.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Grandpa wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:19 am More like George Smith than anyone.
Yeah he's George Smith like in that if you had to chuck him from 6 through to 15 he'd do a job.
You can call me Bill

Post by You can call me Bill »

One of the best players I've ever seen I think. Massively under rated. Like a 1 man army at times. Huge respect for him.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

You can call me Bill wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:36 pm One of the best players I've ever seen I think. Massively under rated. Like a 1 man army at times. Huge respect for him.
I think's he's great, and in top form, the best of his career. But he's also had a history of petulance as captain to refs, yellow cards and being outdone by other backrows physically. Especially last RWC cycle. Though i never doubt he's not a "give 100% to every game" type.
puku

Post by puku »

I disagree. Look at the tapes of Brüssow and how he would attack the breakdown, sitting back and pouncing, locking onto the ball, unmoveable and tell me Hooper doesn't do the same thing. Brüssow didn't have the speed of Hooper around the park, but that is not necessarily part of being a good openside. The fact that Hooper has speed is a bonus.

It is almost like Hooper is the White Brüssow.
Noob

Post by Noob »

puku wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:56 am
I disagree. Look at the tapes of Brüssow and how he would attack the breakdown, sitting back and pouncing, locking onto the ball, unmoveable and tell me Hooper doesn't do the same thing. Brüssow didn't have the speed of Hooper around the park, but that is not necessarily part of being a good openside. The fact that Hooper has speed is a bonus.

It is almost like Hooper is the White Brüssow.
I think the last line only works if Hooper and Brussow were both not Caucasian.

That aside, I don't think Hooper is anywhere near as likely to camp behind the first up tackler and snipe in for the jackal. Brussow used to almost go into a kind of split over the ball if i remember correctly and was certainly almost impossible to move. Hooper hits everything that moves first up/ second up and his jackaling is not his priority. Or at least, that's how it looks to me.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Noob wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:19 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:20 am Am I missing something? He plays nothing like Brussow, at the breakdown or in any other facet. The only similarity is that they are both very good no.7s.
<...snip...> It is almost like Hooper is the White Brüssow
"White X" is a boredism going back about 10 years.

But I agree Brüssow and Hooper aren't that similar.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

Tough as nails and with a massive heart. Always gives 100%, never gets injured, never has a bad game. And what a leader... Great player!
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Unbelievable player !!

Deserves the latest results more than anyone .
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

He has improved as he has grown older and wiser.
Noob

Post by Noob »

kiap wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:24 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:20 am Am I missing something? He plays nothing like Brussow, at the breakdown or in any other facet. The only similarity is that they are both very good no.7s.

Sorry I was referencing the fact that Basteraud was called the white Nonu but was in fact black. Wasnt that the joke? I have been lurking for a while :D
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

kiap wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:24 pm

Liam Gill, tho', was similar to Brüssow in style of play albeit not on body shape. He won a stack of turnovers or penalties for the Reds when he was running hot, and not only in front of Strayan refs.