Black Caps in Pakistan

All things Rugby
Big Nipper

Re: Black Caps in Pakistan

Post by Big Nipper »

Davedj77 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:53 am
Big Nipper wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:52 am Do you think the Pakistan givernment would have risked another Sri Lanka by letting the games go ahead if there was indeed a credible thread? You fellas shat the bed here, and now expect ICC to clean up behind you

Truly pathetic
:yawn:
Great reposte
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

Big Nipper wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:56 am
Big Nipper wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:52 am Do you think the Pakistan givernment would have risked another Sri Lanka by letting the games go ahead if there was indeed a credible thread? You fellas shat the bed here, and now expect ICC to clean up behind you

Truly pathetic
Great reposte
No point interacting with a troll.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Davedj77 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:57 am

Truly pathetic
Great reposte
Everything I have said is actually in the headlines in papers in Pakistan, and you have not refuted anything. How do you consider this to be a troll?
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

Big Nipper wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:59 am

Truly pathetic
Great reposte
Everything I have said is actually in the headlines in papers in Pakistan, and you have not refuted anything. How do you consider this to be a troll?
You are taking Pakistan's word over NZs. Have you read any other publication from other countries that may not be biased? Anyway I'll stop for now because there is zero point talking about this issue until we know the facts. I hope if the threat comes out and as serious that you come back on this thread and apologise for being full of shit. And if it turns out it was was some spotty teenager in their parents basement making the threat, I'll admit NZ f**ked up.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Big Nipper, even if you believe there is no threat, you still haven’t explained why you think the Blackcaps would travel to Pakistan if their intention was always to pull out. That is the aspect of your comments that appear to be trolling … and you haven’t offered any answer to support it.
Last edited by JB1981 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

:lol: :lol:
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

Big Nipper wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:05 am :lol: :lol:
Great riposte :roll:
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Haven't read through the thread (probably for the best), but I see the Pakistani fans are taking this well based on the replies to the Black Caps Twitter posts.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Gee, having a quick skim through here and a few other forums, this news has brought some absolutely world-class asinine takes out of the woodwork.

Why would New Zealand bother to travel, quarantine and have bags ready to attend the game, only to pull out at the last second without a credible threat? Not to mention giving up match practice in conditions that will be close to the WC against a team you're going to play in the pool.

Get some perspective FFS. Even if there was only a 5% chance the threat was real, it's not worth the risk for a few games of cricket.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Gee, the troll managed to take a few wickets with a couple of wrong uns. Not sure why some of you continue to play the sweep shot against him, it would be better to just let the ball go.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Ardern feared Blackcaps 'would be attacked outside stadium'

AuthorNZ Herald, Publish DateSat, 18 Sep 2021, 9:44AM

Blackcaps tour of Pakistan abandoned after security threat

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern feared the Blackcaps would be attacked once they arrived at the Pindi Stadium in Rawalpindi for the first one-day international against Pakistan.

A Pakistan government official says the claim was made by Ardern in a conversation with Pakistan PM and cricket great Imran Khan.

Neither Ardern's office, nor New Zealand Cricket have released any detail about the nature of the threat that saw the tour abandoned last night - minutes before the first ball was to be bowled.

The Blackcaps haven't played in Pakistan since 2003 and abandoned their tour the year before following an explosion outside the team hotel in Karachi.

International cricket only returned to Pakistan in 2019 - more than a decade after the visiting Sri Lankan team bus was attacked in Lahore.

The attack left seven people dead and several players injured.

Reaction to New Zealand's decision to cancel the tour has been swift, with fans and current and former players heavily criticising the move.

Speaking at a press conference in Islamabad overnight, Pakistan's Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed claimed Ardern told Khan the Blackcaps could be attacked outside the stadium.

He echoed earlier comments from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) that there was no security threat against the Kiwis.

"He [Khan] told her [Ardern] that the law and order situation is the best in our country and we give a guarantee that there is no security problem here, there is no security threat," Ahmed said.

"But the Prime Minister of New Zealand said that the issue is not the threat but we have such information that when the team goes out it can come under some attack, so they have unilaterally cancelled their tour."

Ahmed said the PCB had earlier offered to host the matches - three ODIs in Rawalpindi followed by five Twenty20s in Lahore - without spectators but New Zealand rejected the offer. The stadiums were subsequently allowed to be at 25 per cent capacity, due to Covid-19 restrictions.

According to Ahmed, Blackcaps security advised local authorities of the security threat on Friday. When asked about the nature of the threat, Ahmed claims The New Zealanders "did not have any".

Pakistan had deployed commandos from Pakistan Army's Special Services Group (SSG), soldiers, and 4,000 policemen for the matches in Rawalpindi, Ahmed said.

He also claimed the cancellation was a "conspiracy" but declined to elaborate.

"He [Khan] called [Ardern] and assured her of complete security to the Kiwis. The New Zealand prime minister said there was no issue of a threat.

"She said the [New Zealand] government received intelligence that the team could be attacked when it steps out to go to the stadium.

"It is their decision. We had deployed heavy security for the team. Pakistan is a peace promoter in the world. And this tour was cancelled through a conspiracy. It is their problem and what they decide."

NZC last night said they were preparing to leave Pakistan after arriving on September 11. Following brief isolation, the team had completed three training sessions under heavy police guard.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Tehui wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:33 am Gee, the troll managed to take a few wickets with a couple of wrong uns. Not sure why some of you continue to play the sweep shot against him, it would be better to just let the ball go.
In my defence, I was replying with Craig McMillan and Tim Southee as batting coaches.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Truly pathetic
Great reposte
Irrefutably accurate sources, I am sure.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Kiwias wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:54 am

Great reposte
They have the best security in the world. Fool proof. Didn't you hear? ;)
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

I would think that the Pakistani Maroon Berets are some of the finest special force units on the planet. It is quite pathetic how the Kiwis have taken the super defensive position, when they really ought to be looking for the evidence instead of just assuming 3rd world nations are terrible
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:55 am
Kiwias wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:54 am
Great reposte
They have the best security in the world. Fool proof. Didn't you hear? ;)
Word is that they kept UBL safe from prying US eyes for a decade or so.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Big Nipper wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:58 am I would think that the Pakistani Maroon Berets are some of the finest special force units on the planet. It is quite pathetic how the Kiwis have taken the super defensive position, when they really ought to be looking for the evidence instead of just assuming 3rd world nations are terrible
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

JB1981 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:04 am
Big Nipper wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:58 am I would think that the Pakistani Maroon Berets are some of the finest special force units on the planet. It is quite pathetic how the Kiwis have taken the super defensive position, when they really ought to be looking for the evidence instead of just assuming 3rd world nations are terrible
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

At least I will get the Nationality right.

We will never know if the intelligence we received was correct (as it won't be made public) but I am glad that they are safe rather than sorry
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:19 am Image

At least I will get the Nationality right.

We will never know if the intelligence we received was correct (as it won't be made public) but I am glad that they are safe rather than sorry
Yep
usermame

Post by usermame »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:13 am Haven't read through the thread (probably for the best), but I see the Pakistani fans are taking this well based on the replies to the Black Caps Twitter posts.
They're easily as hysterical as the Indians. I suppose Desis have to Desi.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Please change the thread title to Black Caps 'not' in Pakistan.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

JB1981 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:07 am
Masterji wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:53 pm
sonic_attack wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:49 pm What makes you think any info available to NZC or the NZ Government in relation to this wasn’t shared?
And why would you think this information exchange or the content of it not be suitable for public knowledge?
Because the PK govt held a press conference and said so.
They repeatedly said Bin Laden wasn’t in the country too. The two PMs spoke, why are you so certain nothing has been passed on?
PK is a big country and Bin Laden being in the country means nothing. Its not difficult to hide in a house. As far as the talks went the NZ PM gave no information bar saying that they had some intelligence- isnt courtesy to explain what that intelligence was and who was conspiring to attack.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:41 am
Tehui wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:42 am I'm a big cricket fan, but it's just not safe for any touring team to tour there. You only need to reflect back to the attack that happened to the Sri Lankan team. I feel for the Pakistani players who just want the opportunity to play at home, but damn, lives are more important.

Would need to double check, but I think this is about the third tour since they 'reopened' and didn't play their games in UAE.

Although probably the first since the Afghanistan shitshow
You do know that SA and SL have toured PK as well as Foreign players in the PSL.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Masterji wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:24 pm
Tehui wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:42 am I'm a big cricket fan, but it's just not safe for any touring team to tour there. You only need to reflect back to the attack that happened to the Sri Lankan team. I feel for the Pakistani players who just want the opportunity to play at home, but damn, lives are more important.

Would need to double check, but I think this is about the third tour since they 'reopened' and didn't play their games in UAE.

You do know that SA and SL have toured PK as well as Foreign players in the PSL.
So this would be the third team touring?
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:28 pm

SA toured in 06-07 and Sri Lanka in 08-09, not all that recently
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

[*]
jambanja wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:37 pm

Quick Google says windies have been there earlier this year and sri Lanka in 2017

EDIT to add that south Africa were there earlier this year as well. So the original decision to go doesn't seem to be that bad.

If there was any threat though then pulling out makes sense, it's cricket ffs
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Truly pathetic
Ah yes, the great and esteemed Pakistani intelligence agency. Right up there with Five Eyes in terms of intelligence gathering and halting Taliban insurgency. I'd rate them slightly above Five Eyes actually.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:21 pm [*]

Quick Google says windies have been there earlier this year and sri Lanka in 2017

EDIT to add that south Africa were there earlier this year as well. So the original decision to go doesn't seem to be that bad.

If there was any threat though then pulling out makes sense, it's cricket ffs
Agree 100%
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Windies, SL,SA and BD and the PSL in the last 3 yrs
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Masterji wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:00 am

Windies, SL,SA and BD and the PSL in the last 3 yrs
Yep Monkey pointed that out
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

It's almost like there are differences between countries that make some teams juicier targets than others
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

I love the logic of "Oh look, it was all fine when they headed to the airport, so there can't have been a threat!" Umm, what? That makes zero sense. The world trade centre was totally fine until it had a plane fly into it too.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Masterji wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:36 pm All is well on the route today

https://siasat.pk/forums/threads/same-r ... ay.797947/
Well you can't argue with logic like that :roll:

What is the TTP they are talking about in that thread.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

RuggaBugga wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:57 am

TTP = Pakistani Taliban.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehrik- ... n_Pakistan
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Details are starting to emerge of the climate of the tour: a death threat (pre-tour) and bomb threats (after calling it off). Details of the specific threat that led to the cancellation won’t be shared but tou can’t blame them for pulling the pin.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/bla ... icket-tour
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

RuggaBugga wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:57 am

Basically, in PK a Taliban copy cat group that developed. It got its funding mostly from Ind and it worked from the tribal areas. At first PK army was a bit slow but then it attacked with vigour and its been almost beaten. Many Pk soldiers have lost their lives in this battle and many civilians have died.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

JB1981 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:05 am Big Nipper, even if you believe there is no threat, you still haven’t explained why you think the Blackcaps would travel to Pakistan if their intention was always to pull out. That is the aspect of your comments that appear to be trolling … and you haven’t offered any answer to support it.
My view is that NZ had intention to play and went in good faith but you have to understand there are big games at play here.
The Taliban victory in Afghanistan is seen as a victory for PK because the old Afg govt was close to Ind and Ind has been kicked out of Afg, along with Americans. So you have 2 countries smarting with humiliation and they blame PK for the humiliation and were looking for revenge and what better way than cricket in a cricket mad nation so they gave a fake warning to NZ..
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Davedj77 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:11 am I love the logic of "Oh look, it was all fine when they headed to the airport, so there can't have been a threat!" Umm, what? That makes zero sense. The world trade centre was totally fine until it had a plane fly into it too.
The point was that the was pretty much the same route. Surely, the attackers weren't going to put off because they were leaving.