Rugby Championship: All Blacks vs Springboks: MATCH THREAD: Sat 25th Sept

All things Rugby
mrbrownstone

Re: Rugby Championship: All Blacks vs Springboks: MATCH THREAD: Sat 25th Sept

Post by mrbrownstone »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:44 am Scott Barretts a good player but in no way is he world class. There is a half a dozen better locks than him around the world minimum.
Perhaps, but I think that says more about the locking depth worldwide than it does about Barrett.

I'd take Whitelock, Retallick, AWJ, Etzebeth, Mostert, and Itoje definitely ahead of him. He's probably about level with Beirne/Snyman/Lawes/de Jager in my eyes. There are a lot of very, very good locks around at the moment.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:44 am Scott Barretts a good player but in no way is he world class. There is a half a dozen better locks than him around the world minimum.
I actually think he’s close to the most underrated player in the All Blacks. And you don’t Captain the Crusaders if you’re not quite good.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

The Native wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:52 am
I actually think he’s close to the most underrated player in the All Blacks. And you don’t Captain the Crusaders if you’re not quite good.
He's a first class journeyman and sometimes brain fart thug at test level.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:52 am
Perhaps, but I think that says more about the locking depth worldwide than it does about Barrett.

I'd take Whitelock, Retallick, AWJ, Etzebeth, Mostert, and Itoje definitely ahead of him. He's probably about level with Beirne/Snyman/Lawes/de Jager in my eyes. There are a lot of very, very good locks around at the moment.
I would say he is tentatively at the level of the second tier. I'd have De Jager in the top tier.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

While he keeps his discipline I'm very thankful Barrett is in the squad. He's a good reliable player when disciplined.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:04 am While he keeps his discipline I'm very thankful Barrett is in the squad. He's a good reliable player when disciplined.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:01 am
The Native wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:52 am
He's a first class journeyman and sometimes brain fart thug at test level.
As I said, underrated.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Wow. Having read the Kiwi writeups, I do believe the Boks are in for a 95-0 drubbing.

Congratulations, NZ. Sorrry Jaques.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Wilson's Toffee wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:10 am Wow. Having read the Kiwi writeups, I do believe the Boks are in for a 95-0 drubbing.

It’s quite unedifying and more than a little cringeworthy.

I don’t think anyone with good sense is expecting anything else than a war.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Nah, Boks are overcooked, tired, dispirited and want to go home. Limited in talent, too.

(Getting my excuses in early)
pigaaaa

Post by pigaaaa »

AWJ? You got to be kidding. I presume you didn’t watch the Lions series.
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

naki wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:17 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:58 am On another note, can anyone remember a more "Safe White Boy" back three for the ABs than Bridge/Jordan/Jordie?

I'm sure there are a few, but none immediately spring to mind.
Well Jordie is anything but Safe, though he is especially White and still relatively Boyish. Remember the last time we lost to the Saffers?
Green, Kirwan, Gallagher
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Adam Beard is a quality player.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

badmannotinjapan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:58 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:12 am Springbok team to face New Zealand in Townsville:
15 – Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz) – 68 caps, 60 pts (12t)
14 – Sbu Nkosi (Cell C Sharks) – 14 caps, 40 pts (8t)
13 – Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks) – 21 caps, 25 pts (5t)
12 – Damian de Allende (Munster) – 53 caps, 30 pts (6t)
11 – Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks) – 20 caps, 80 pts (16t)
10 – Handré Pollard (vice-captain, Montpellier) – 55 caps, 544 pts (6t, 83c, 112p, 4d)
9 – Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks) – 34 caps, 25 pts (5t)
8 – Duane Vermeulen (Vodacom Bulls) – 56 caps, 15 pts (3t)
7 – Kwagga Smith (Yamaha Júbilo) – 14 caps, 5 pts (1t)
6 – Siya Kolisi (captain, Cell C Sharks) – 58 caps, 30 pts (6t)
5 – Lood de Jager (Sale Sharks) – 51 caps, 25 pts (5t)
4 – Eben Etzebeth (Toulon) – 92 caps, 15 pts (3t)
3 – Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers) – 45 caps, 5 pts (1t)
2 – Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers) – 43 caps, 45 pts (9t)
1 – Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls) – 49 caps, 5pts (1t)

Replacements:
16 – Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears) – 41 caps, 45 pts (9t)
17 – Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers) – 54 caps, 5pts (1t)
18 – Vincent Koch (Saracens) – 26 caps, 0 pts
19 – Franco Mostert (Honda Heat) – 46 caps, 5pts (1t)
20 – Marco van Staden (Leicester Tigers) – 8 caps, 0 pts
21 – Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers) – 16 caps, 25 pts (5t)
22 – Elton Jantjies (NTT Docomo Red Hurricanes) – 40 caps, 300 pts (2t, 64c, 54p)
23 – Frans Steyn (Toyota Cheetahs) – 69 caps, 141pts (11t, 7c, 21p, 3d)
If that's the team, they've scored 115 tries collectively. I wonder what the ABs team would be like in comparison.
Springboks Caps/Tries:
Starting XV: 673/87
Bench: 300/29
Total: 973/116

All Blacks:
Starting XV: 628/174
Bench: 162/30
Total: 790/205
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Not wanting to be argumentative or anything. but if he was the 7th ranked lock in the world wouldn't that still qualify him as being "world class"?
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

pigaaaa wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:26 am

AWJ? You got to be kidding. I presume you didn’t watch the Lions series.
AWJ was very good, one of the Lions best. Still a world-class operator if your sole focus isn't flashy runs and offloads.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

I've read recently on here that Goodhue, Bridge, Ennor, Blackadder, and now Barrett are all overrated, and in some cases lucky to be in the squad.

I wonder what they all have in common?
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:30 am Adam Beard is a quality player.
Good call, he would be there abouts in that second tier with Barrett.
Sards

Post by Sards »

So we can expect a proper spanking from the ABs
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sards wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:00 am So we can expect a proper spanking from the ABs
I would be very surprised if there was a big margin between the teams at fulltime. Whichever team wins, I think the result will be tight. I'm picking a 23-18 win to the AB's but wouldn't be at all surprised if the Springboks won by a similar margin.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:47 am
Not wanting to be argumentative or anything. but if he was the 7th ranked lock in the world wouldn't that still qualify him as being "world class"?
I wouldn't think so personally and I wouldn't rank him 7th either. I'd struggle to get him into my top 10.

There are a bunch of different definitions to "world class". There are a number of top teams that he would not be first choice when their best players are fit. He's not even first choice for the All Blacks when Whitelock and Retallick are available.

Overall I think he's done a good job for the ABs this year but his set piece has been a bit up and down.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

The Native wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:13 am
Wilson's Toffee wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:10 am Wow. Having read the Kiwi writeups, I do believe the Boks are in for a 95-0 drubbing.

I'd be happy with a 1-pt win. It is the Boks.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:51 am I've read recently on here that Goodhue, Bridge, Ennor, Blackadder, and now Barrett are all overrated, and in some cases lucky to be in the squad.

Some people include Taylor in that list.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

trapper wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:02 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:07 am
trapper wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:06 pm The ABs are going Bok hunting. Ardie said it himself, you have to beat number 1 to be number 1.

I think we will see a level of speed, intensity, skill and relentless attack from the ABs that the Boks just can’t live with. They’ll be out on their feet on the hour.
Did the Boks beat number one to become number one? What were the ranking going into the last world cup?
Why not use google, I’m not your secretary mate.
Not anymore you're not. You're fired!

If you could just type up the paperwork and bring me a coffee before you go....
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I would have liked to see the experienced ALB at centre against the Boks, but Ioane's okay there if need be. I much prefer him on the wing.

On the upside, it means kick receiver extraordinaire George Bridge comes into the side, complementing a pretty handy back three.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

UncleFB wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:11 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:57 am No particular complaints. I think it is a sensible team with a few minor tweaks to the "A" team picked against the Wobs to combat the Boks strengths (i.e. Jacobson over Papalii to add some extra size, and Bridge over Reece for his high-ball skills).

If I were being picky, I'd have Vai'i and Ennor over PT and Tupaea, but they're line calls at best.
Papali'i is bigger than Jacobson.

On the safe white boys - Jordan doesn't fit the bill, too much flair, Jordie doesn't fit the bill as he's a one or two brainfart a game guy, Bridge probably is the poster boy for SWB these days, he's good at running in a straight line into defenders.
That's a ridiculous comment. Someone needs to watch George Bridge highlights.
naki

Post by naki »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:42 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:57 am No particular complaints. I think it is a sensible team with a few minor tweaks to the "A" team picked against the Wobs to combat the Boks strengths (i.e. Jacobson over Papalii to add some extra size, and Bridge over Reece for his high-ball skills).

If I were being picky, I'd have Vai'i and Ennor over PT and Tupaea, but they're line calls at best.

On the safe white boys - Jordan doesn't fit the bill, too much flair, Jordie doesn't fit the bill as he's a one or two brainfart a game guy, Bridge probably is the poster boy for SWB these days, he's good at running in a straight line into defenders.
That's pretty much exactly what he's been doing this year though, jdog. When he first came on the international scene there was a lot more footwork, deft kicking and general jiggery-pokery. He's been a lot more stock standard since his injury.
naki

Post by naki »

The Native wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:13 am

Which write ups? I'm sure the hubris will be out there but I haven't read any yet, apart from Old Mainsy which doesn't count as a write up
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Kiwias wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:25 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:51 am I've read recently on here that Goodhue, Bridge, Ennor, Blackadder, and now Barrett are all overrated, and in some cases lucky to be in the squad.

Some people include Taylor in that list.
That some people think they’re over rated.

To be fair I’ve also read on here George B, Lomax, Pat T, Akira, Cane, TJ, Christie, BB, Reiko (at centre) Reece, DMAC (at 10) and Jordie are over rated.

So whilst it’s possible to play the Saders victim card to be honest it easier to pick players that most people rate.
trapper

Post by trapper »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:36 am I would have liked to see the experienced ALB at centre against the Boks, but Ioane's okay there if need be. I much prefer him on the wing.

On the upside, it means kick receiver extraordinaire George Bridge comes into the side, complementing a pretty handy back three.
If Reiko wants to play 13 for the rest of his career he has been given a golden opportunity this weekend. I think he is the best winger in NZ but he has come on leaps and bounds as a 13 on this tour and he must be putting a bit of pressure on ALB to hold his spot.
He offers a lot more speed, power and size than ALB and it must be tempting for Foster to keep him there and if Bridge goes alright that’s going to cause a bit of a selection headache.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Sneaky/ Sam W & RMo.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

naki wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:48 am

That's pretty much exactly what he's been doing this year though, jdog. When he first came on the international scene there was a lot more footwork, deft kicking and general jiggery-pokery. He's been a lot more stock standard since his injury.
He's scored 12 tries in 15 games. I think supporters need to be patient as he works his way back to top form.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:36 am I would have liked to see the experienced ALB at centre against the Boks, but Ioane's okay there if need be. I much prefer him on the wing.

He's come a long way from me dreading seeing his name at centre to feeling relatively neutral about it. Still far prefer him on the wing, but he's developing fairly well.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

I've got 15 seconds spare, can you point me to one. ;)
The Native

Post by The Native »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:55 am

He's scored 12 tries in 15 games. I think supporters need to be patient as he works his way back to top form.
Why? He's the least in form winger in the squad and had ALB been fit would've been riding the pine or not even in the match day 23 squad now that we know Quinn Tupaea is on the bench.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:50 am
Ted. wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:41 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:40 am Should add Jack Goodhue to the injured list.
:blush:

Gonna have to take Mr B's Cantab visa off him.

Oh dear, yup :blush: :blush:

It's impressive that we've named such a strong team without our first choice 9/10/12/13.
What about Fakatava, would he be 2nd choice by now? hell his form was better than Snecky's before he had his injury?

Looking at that, and not wanting to stir up the mockers gods, but we are playing with a third of our first stringers missing and a bunch of third stringers, or worse, occupying the bench. It is just silly that we think we have a chance. :?
Last edited by Ted. on Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:58 am

He's come a long way from me dreading seeing his name at centre to feeling relatively neutral about it. Still far prefer him on the wing, but he's developing fairly well.
Fair comment. It'll be interesting to see how he goes against what I expect to be a fairly stiff SA line of defence.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

UncleFB wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:05 am

I've got 15 seconds spare, can you point me to one. ;)
Sure, here's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRpJTg8yKM
Last edited by jdogscoop on Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

The Native wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:10 am
jdogscoop wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:55 am

Why? He's the least in form winger in the squad and had ALB been fit would've been riding the pine or not even in the match day 23 squad now that we know Quinn Tupaea is on the bench.
ALB isn't fit though, is he.