Is it just one lunatic, or is France's political system broken ?

All things Rugby
You can call me Bill

Is it just one lunatic, or is France's political system broken ?

Post by You can call me Bill »

When Monsieur Macron came to power, he was just that funny little man who married his school teacher a full 25 years his senior.

Then he was the guy who everyone in France hated so much that the country was brought to a standstill by rioters.

In the last couple of years or so he's transformed himself into some kind of power crazed madman, stirring up shit everywhere he can go like a diplomatic psychopath, and in recent weeks we've seen his latest incarnation as a spoiled baby throwing a tantrum because somebody struck a deal without asking him, resulting in him threatening to tear up every international agreement France has ever entered into.

This got me thinking. Is this the result of France's Presidential system, enabling one man to go off unchecked as a free wheeling wrecking ball, or is it simply that Macron is nuts ?
terryfinch

Re: Is it just one lunatic, or is France's political system broken ?

Post by terryfinch »

You can call me Bill wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:33 pm When Monsieur Macron came to power, he was just that funny little man who married his school teacher a full 25 years his senior.

Then he was the guy who everyone in France hated so much that the country was brought to a standstill by rioters.

In the last couple of years or so he's transformed himself into some kind of power crazed madman, stirring up shit everywhere he can go like a diplomatic psychopath, and in recent weeks we've seen his latest incarnation as a spoiled baby throwing a tantrum because somebody struck a deal without asking him, resulting in him threatening to tear up every international agreement France has ever entered into.

This got me thinking. Is this the result of France's Presidential system, enabling one man to go off unchecked as a free wheeling wrecking ball, or is it simply that Macron is nuts ?
Both
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

It’s also about Merkel moving on, so he’s looking to be EU premier leader. France is in trouble though.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:27 pm It’s also about Merkel moving on, so he’s looking to be EU premier leader. France is in trouble though.
My take is Macron came on a very PRO-EU platform, EU over France. His vision was to reform the EU to put Europe on top as an entity. This is became he's fixated on big country power and see's the EU as a way to elevate that. It's clear from his close easy going Bromance with Trump he's drawn to big power and wants to be a big player, seen to be a big player and wield power. We see this attitude in his leadership style, his treatment of protestors and his reaction to the USA showing they are the big dog and get things their way, screw anybody else.

Macron also saw some of the flaws of the EU but for the most part it seems for nearly all his reform desires he was always blocked by Germany. Frustrating for him as many reports often stated he really did want to reform the EU. But now it's "make it more powerful in any way" attitude. Like many politicians he's desperate for a legacy to be history, he imagines that being the EU as something he can claim "i made that great". The person who seems a template for him is Tony Blair in many ways who also wanted a big EU legacy.

However I think Merkel going won't elevate Macron. France are always the big 2 players in the EU, but the fact is any German leader who wants to be the main man, will be the top dog regardless.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:49 pm
bimboman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:27 pm It’s also about Merkel moving on, so he’s looking to be EU premier leader. France is in trouble though.
My take is Macron came on a very PRO-EU platform, EU over France. His vision was to reform the EU to put Europe on top as an entity. This is became he's fixated on big country power and see's the EU as a way to elevate that. It's clear from his close easy going Bromance with Trump he's drawn to big power and wants to be a big player, seen to be a big player and wield power. We see this attitude in his leadership style, his treatment of protestors and his reaction to the USA showing they are the big dog and get things their way, screw anybody else.

Macron also saw some of the flaws of the EU but for the most part it seems for nearly all his reform desires he was always blocked by Germany. Frustrating for him as many reports often stated he really did want to reform the EU. But now it's "make it more powerful in any way" attitude. Like many politicians he's desperate for a legacy to be history, he imagines that being the EU as something he can claim "i made that great". The person who seems a template for him is Tony Blair in many ways who also wanted a big EU legacy.

However I think Merkel going won't elevate Macron. France are always the big 2 players in the EU, but the fact is any German leader who wants to be the main man, will be the top dog regardless.
I am absolutely amazed that France wants to give their UN security Council Seat and Veto to the EU.

On the world stage being a permanent member of the UN Security Council and having a Veto is a big big deal.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

mdaclarke wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:04 pm

I am absolutely amazed that France wants to give their UN security Council Seat and Veto to the EU.

On the world stage being a permanent member of the UN Security Council and having a Veto is a big big deal.
He knows Von Der Leyen woudn't fly off the handle, and would use it consideratey and wisely.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

message #2527204 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:07 pm

He knows Von Der Leyen woudn't fly off the handle, and would use it consideratey and wisely.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Also how would the veto play out ? If equal then the Poles , Hungarians and Greeks would all have a crack at running the planet.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Barnier will be next French president. Running for Republicans
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

bimboman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:35 pm

Also how would the veto play out ? If equal then the Poles , Hungarians and Greeks would all have a crack at running the planet.
I assume that the EU's place would have to be agreed by the other members. Be hilarious if the UK vetoed it!!
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I assume that the EU's place would have to be agreed by the other members. Be hilarious if the UK vetoed it!!
:thumbup:
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

iarmhiman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:39 pm Barnier will be next French president. Running for Republicans
Dom Cummings has a view on Barnier, he called him an emotional, lazy bullshitter along the lines of David Davies. Should fit right in :thumbup:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

ChipSpike wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:49 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:39 pm Barnier will be next French president. Running for Republicans
Dom Cummings has a view on Barnier, he called him an emotional, lazy bullshitter along the lines of David Davies. Should fit right in :thumbup:
Like Boris then
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

iarmhiman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 pm
ChipSpike wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:49 pm
Like Boris then
He’s said that too. Merkel leaves a huge void- no idea if Barnier will get the French gig but he appears statesmanlike after Macron.

Has anybody mentioned Macrons ‘bodyguard’ yet?
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

bimboman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:42 pm
:thumbup:
We have to do that, if only for the fact the future generations will look back at this period and LOL.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

I don't believe it's genuine. I do think they want to create pressure so the EU ahs a seat or to push the EU to get bigger and more into military.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:20 pm

I don't believe it's genuine. I do think they want to create pressure so the EU ahs a seat or to push the EU to get bigger and more into military.
The UK will never in a million years agree to the EU getting a seat and Veto power especially given the way they acted over Vaccines.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The other issue with this EU army stuff (regardless of foreign policy competence) is the Nuclear button and control.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

I don't believe it's genuine. I do think they want to create pressure so the EU has a seat or to push the EU to get bigger and more into military.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:43 pm

I don't believe it's genuine. I do think they want to create pressure so the EU has a seat or to push the EU to get bigger and more into military.
The UK will never never never never never agree to the EU having a permanent seat and/or veto in a million million million billion years.

They may agree to an observer/non veto seat though.

But never ever ever a permanent/veto seat
grouch

Post by grouch »

mdaclarke wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:46 pm

The UK will never never never never never agree to the EU having a permanent seat and/or veto in a million million million billion years.

Surely it well past time that UK retained those veto rights ?

The Security council was set up when the global map was covered with pink denoting the British Empire.
Hardly applicable for that veto to still be held by a soggy collection of isles on the brink of implosion and disappearing down the economic gurgler.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

mdaclarke wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:30 pm

The UK will never in a million years agree to the EU getting a seat and Veto power especially given the way they acted over Vaccines.
Yeah we would. They just have to pay the price
La soule

Post by La soule »

Bulldogs are out in force!!!

Pretty ironic that people from a country that has managed to get Boris the clown has a PM would dare to criticise anybody else. Well done the lads :thumbup:
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

grouch wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:33 am
mdaclarke wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:46 pm

Surely it well past time that UK retained those veto rights ?

The Security council was set up when the global map was covered with pink denoting the British Empire.
Hardly applicable for that veto to still be held by a soggy collection of isles on the brink of implosion and disappearing down the economic gurgler.
Doesn't matter if it is or isn't. The fact is that the UK has Veto rights and will not agree to give them up and they can't be taken away without the UK's agreement unless you completely abolish the UN and start again.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

La soule wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:28 am Bulldogs are out in force!!!

Pretty ironic that people from a country that has managed to get Boris the clown has a PM would dare to criticise anybody else. Well done the lads :thumbup:
France

:lol:
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:29 am

I don't think we would, but if you are right I imagine the the price would be so astronomical that the EU would never agree to pay.

It would include at a minimum waiving the £39 billion divorce bill, allowing the UK access to single market and customs union without being subject to freedom of movement and the UK being subject to any EU standards and the UK still being able to make it's own trade deals

A permanent UN seat and Veto is such a big deal that the price would have to be astronomical.
La soule

Post by La soule »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:42 am
La soule wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:28 am Bulldogs are out in force!!!

France

Anonymous 1

Anonymous 2

:lol: :lol:

Ad finitum.
La soule

Post by La soule »

Anyway, where did you guys read that France wanted to give away their seat please?
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

La soule wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:47 am Anyway, where did you guys read that France wanted to give away their seat please?
It's behind paywall

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... h-eu-army/

Although France are denying

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -unsc-seat
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:29 am

Yeah, the idea we'd never get a Europhile PM who wouldn't isn't impossible. I would say I don't think the EU would ever get a seat because it could be setting a president of powerful organizations which aren't nations being able to get onto it which opens a Pandora's box on that.
La soule

Post by La soule »

mdaclarke wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:52 am
La soule wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:47 am Anyway, where did you guys read that France wanted to give away their seat please?
It's behind paywall

Thanks.

Seems unlikely in any case.
message #2527204

It's behind paywall

I doubt they want to give up their own...just get another permanent seat for 'the EU' now that they're down to one.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:16 am
It's behind paywall

I doubt they want to give up their own...just get another permanent seat for 'the EU' now that they're down to one.
Never going to happen
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

La soule wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:16 am
I think most agree if anything it was a way to push a narrative to increase support and momentum for more EU military development.
nardol

Post by nardol »

you could write something far more sinister and deranged about blowjo
La soule

Post by La soule »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:23 am
I think most agree if anything it was a way to push a narrative to increase support and momentum for more EU military development.
Or, it was just the telegraph writing bollocks. You cannot take that option off the table.
message #2527204

nardol wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:26 am you could write something far more sinister and deranged about blowjo
And you often do write sinister and deranged commentary about Boris.

Thing is, it's believable when applied to the dummy-spitting president with the napoleon complex.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

La soule wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:27 am
eldanielfire wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:23 am
Or, it was just the telegraph writing bollocks. You cannot take that option off the table.
Could be. But unless it's an opinion piece or I have contradictory information I tend to accept the news reports of the media even if I don't trust their biases, spin or agendas on it.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

nardol wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:26 am you could write something far more sinister and deranged about blowjo
As nardol posts his finishing cert in ‘Whataboutery’.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Really? Seems pretty straightforward chap to be honest.