Your Biggest Rivalries in International Rugby

All things Rugby
iarmhiman

Re: Your Biggest Rivalries in International Rugby

Post by iarmhiman »

It used to be France and England that were the hardest games to get tickets.

Now its England and Wales.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Frodder wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:16 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:13 pm
Frodder wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:10 pm Looks like we've got to the Irish if they're counting us a big rivalry. That 2011 game must hurt.

England is our big rivals but we're not alone there. Beating Straya always pleases me after our last minute losses making us bitter
I was at that game in Wellington.

Then we lost the next 6 Nations game to a Wayne Barnes penalty.

Joe's first Wales game we stuffed them 27-3
Yes you lost that game due to the Nordie's brainfart moment. We were at our peak then absolutely breezing to another GS
You were jammy against England. They nearly scored the winner in the corner
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

China v Taiwan.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 pm China v Taiwan.
Oh big rivalry there.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:39 pm
Dozy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:36 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:49 pm
Dozy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:45 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:39 pm Haven't done one of these in a while. Just not enough rugby on .

Two questions:

What country is your country's biggest rival?
Which country do enjoy beating the most?

I'll begin for Ireland.

What country is your biggest rival?

Wales. We share same domestic league, familiarity breeds contempt, the rivalry has been two and fro since 2005. Wales wins more 6 Nations, Irish teams do better in European club competitions. Both supporters do NOT want to lose this match more than any other match.
Worst team to lose to bar none. Dreadful winners. Winning gives relief more than satisfaction

Which country do you enjoy beating the most?

England. In the NH they are always the benchmark and they always expect to win even when they have average teams. Always good to shut their media up as well when they're brought back to earth. Their supporters are good sports mainly. Very satisfying when Ireland beats England and not too bad when we lose as long as its not at home.
Why does Wales bother you guys so much?

I can honestly say Ireland isn't even on the radar for almost all Welsh fans.

England is the one that matters. I personally enjoy Wales Vs France games as they tend to provide the best rugby in the six Nations as a spectacle.
Gatland.

He can be credited with creating the rivalry. It's now top 3 game in the 6 Nations after France v England and England v Wales
I always presumed it was Ireland discovered BOD, they instantly thought they deserved a seat at the top table, they actually thought they should be chairing every meeting. They could not fathom how these little upstarts across the water were not only good at the game but are going about winning grand slams under the reign of BOD and Saviour.

I presume the legacy of that just continues to this day.
The upstart bit sentiment from the Welshies is true.

From our side we only started disliking Wales after 2008.
Speak for yourself. I can remember being condescended to by Welsh fans in Dublin pubs since the mid seventies.

Best 6N away fans in Dublin are the English and French. Whichever teams win or lose, everyone enjoys themselves afterwards. Next the Italians, then the Scots, and lastly the Welsh, who are only beaten internationally by Kiwi fans.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

The Scots who travel to Dublin for 6 Nations are fairly posh.

The Welsh are messy as fook but bring great colour.

They used to bring the biggest support to Dublin but in the last 10 years the French away support has been massive
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:39 pm Haven't done one of these in a while. Just not enough rugby on .

Two questions:

I'll begin for Ireland.

Wales. We share same domestic league, familiarity breeds contempt, the rivalry has been two and fro since 2005. Wales wins more 6 Nations, Irish teams do better in European club competitions. Both supporters do NOT want to lose this match more than any other match.
Worst team to lose to bar none. Dreadful winners. Winning gives relief more than satisfaction

England. In the NH they are always the benchmark and they always expect to win even when they have average teams. Always good to shut their media up as well when they're brought back to earth. Their supporters are good sports mainly. Very satisfying when Ireland beats England and not too bad when we lose as long as its not at home.

England is the one that matters. I personally enjoy Wales Vs France games as they tend to provide the best rugby in the six Nations as a spectacle.
That’s just not true though. We steal the Welsh tv money and we control the Celtic league. He’s not around anymore but Kid A and his mates from glad would be frothing at the gash with gifs etc whenever we had a game etc.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Eight biggest rivalries in world rugby.. ranked

https://www.ruck.co.uk/the-eight-bigges ... -ranked/4/
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:33 pm
Oh big rivalry there.
It was always fun on Jonah Lomu rugby to play the minnow sides against each other.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:15 pm

Two questions:

I'll begin for Ireland.

I'd say genuinely off the board Wales supporters don't have any real feeling about beating Ireland. It's England by far and away, that nothing else really registers.
I wouldn't agree in that. England is still the team to beat and the one we get most enjoyment from. A fact that will never change, unless over the next few decades, England achieve a level that they should be at and dominate the Celts given the population differences. This will quite possibly reduce the rivalry because of the constant disparities between the two teams and so it will turn Wales towards its Celtic neighbours, primarily Ireland.

But for now and for past century it has been England. In rugby terms, NH rugby had primarily been about England and Wales until France got it together in the 70s, and joined the party.

However, I think that with the increased rivalry between Ireland and Wales since the 80s, mainly being Wales came down to Ireland's level, and now the similar levels of the past decade, Ireland is certainly the 2nd rival to Wales in the 6N. The Irish province's success may have something to do with that, but not anywhere near as much as one may think.

I still thoroughly enjoy Ireland beating England, as I know how much it means to them. Unless of course it negatively affects Wales in the 6N.

The Gatland situation is solely a construct of his past with Ireland and has 0 bearing on the Welsh with respect to Ireland.
Last edited by LandOTurk on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Probably Scotland :(
Toro

Post by Toro »

Rivalry, Saffers I guess, but don't really mind losing to them. They live rugby like we do and are good sports off the field even after trying to rip body-parts off/out for fun. Love the stories of Shag having a bite with Meyer as a tradition. I think we are very different as people but there's something hard-nosed about the way we get on with the game that gives us a common ground.

I think we hate (well I do) mostly to Oz and England. You know the odd French loss pops up but hardly hurts, they just play some great stuff sometimes. Cheika made me enjoy beating the aussies more, it was harder with Macqueen around, he was solid.

NZ v SA top
NZ v Oz lost its touch, but stil love the win.
NZ v Eng, still so rare (in Twickers) that the heart always races.
NZ v France, only in play-offs.

New sensations: Ireland and Argentina.
Last edited by Toro on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

England.
They're team that we (ireland) want to beat and even if we lose all the other 6 nations games, we take great comfort in having beaten England.
Why England? Many reasons, but the main reason is that we always measure the health of international standing by how we do against England.

On the apparent bad feeling between us and the Welsh. I think it's a relatively new phenomenon. During 1980's/90's there was never any antagonism generally between both sets of supporters. Like others have already said, this changed during 2000's. I think this antagonism though is with younger supporters. That's just my impression
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

For Canada:

Players vs Rugby Canada. Goes all the way back to the days of Stormin' Norman.
juddy

Post by juddy »

As rivals In a big match scenario (grand slam decider, WC knockout stage) probably France for England,
Worse to lose to in such a scenario, Wales or Scotland.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:08 pm
Oh big rivalry there.
It was always fun on Jonah Lomu rugby to play the minnow sides against each other.
Laksanasompong..................... with tha kick.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Oh big rivalry there.
My favourite was playing mates who were new to the game and letting them be the All Blacks or South Africa...and then toweling them up as Ivory Coast, Sri Lanka or Romania. As Bungle pointed out, Thailand was a favourite...purely because of the player names.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

mr bungle wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:19 am
Oh big rivalry there.
Laksanasompong..................... with tha kick.
That's his third try!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

For the All Blacks, their biggest rivalry is obviously with Australia and South Africa.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Greatest rivalry: the Boks and it feels so bloody good to beat them.

Enjoy beating the most: Wallabies -- bossing the boys from over the ditch is a lot of fun.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiwias wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:52 am Greatest rivalry: the Boks and it feels so bloody good to beat them.

Enjoy beating the most: Wallabies -- bossing the boys from over the ditch is a lot of fun.
I probably would reverse that order, with the Wallabies being the team I most look forward to us playing. That's probably because when I was a youngster the Springboks weren't playing test Rugby due to isolation. I'm also Australia based so that probably plays into my perception as well.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Canada and Canada. Always good to put the 51st state in their place :thumbup:
trapper

Post by trapper »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:57 am
Kiwias wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:52 am Greatest rivalry: the Boks and it feels so bloody good to beat them.

I probably would reverse that order, with the Wallabies being the team I most look forward to us playing. That's probably because when I was a youngster the Springboks weren't playing test Rugby due to isolation. I'm also Australia based so that probably plays into my perception as well.
I agree that the Boks are our greatest rivalry but the Bledisloe is far more important than the Freedom Cup.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Toro wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:22 am Rivalry, Saffers I guess, but don't really mind losing to them. They live rugby like we do and are good sports off the field even after trying to rip parts of body off/out for fun. Love the stories of Shag having a bite with Meyer as a tradition. I think we are very different as people but there's something hard-nosed about the way we on with the game that gives us a common ground.

I think we hate (well I do) mostly to Oz and England. You know the odd French loss pops up but hardly hurts, they just play some great stuff sometimes. Cheika made me enjoy beating the aussies more, it was hardly with Macqueen around, he was solid.

NZ v SA top
NZ v Oz lost its touch, but stil love the win.
NZ v Eng, still so rare (in Twickers) that the heart always races.
NZ v France, only in play-offs.

New sensations: Ireland and Argentina.
This is all exactly right.
koroke hangareka

Grandpa wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:08 pm Eight biggest rivalries in world rugby.. ranked

On NZ vs SA:
they have racked up four World Cups between them – relations will always be icy.
Racking up two mistakes in half a sentence.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

1. England
Wee amount of daylight
2. Ireland
Lots of daylight
3. Rest of 6n
4. Australia, they beat us last minute way too often, it hurts.
5. NZ - sucks we cannot beat them but i love the way they play
6. SA and the rest - just dont get obrrly bothered about these fixtures
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

paddyor wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:58 pm

Two questions:

I'll begin for Ireland.

That’s just not true though. We steal the Welsh tv money and we control the Celtic league. He’s not around anymore but Kid A and his mates from glad would be frothing at the gash with gifs etc whenever we had a game etc.
It is true as watching the Celtic league is like watching paint dry
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Lets be fair, we hate the irish (rugby) because they are gobshites online and vice verca :lol:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Dozy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:33 am
paddyor wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:58 pm

Two questions:

I'll begin for Ireland.

It is true as watching the Celtic league is like watching paint dry
Looking forward to new season. Good saffa teams in it this year
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:37 am Looking forward to new season. Good saffa teams in it this year
There is no such thing as good saffer teams. They won three Super Rugby titles in 25 years, and those three were all won by a freakish Bulls teams. In general the Saffer SR teams have been weak. And they whinge like nothing else.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:45 am
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:37 am Looking forward to new season. Good saffa teams in it this year
There is no such thing as good saffer teams. They won three Super Rugby titles in 25 years, and those three were all won by a freakish Bulls teams. In general the Saffer SR teams have been weak. And they whinge like nothing else.
We're playing the Buĺls tomorrow. Interested to see how we do. They're coming off the back of a Currie Cup win and Leinster have played 1 warm up .

Re the whinging, we had the cheetahs and Kings in the league last year. Posters like Monk Zombie would complain about the refs after every loss on the Irish rugby thread
Last edited by iarmhiman on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:50 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:45 am
We're playing the Buĺls tomorrow. Interested to see how we do. They're coming off the back of a Currie Cup win and Leinster have played 1 warm up .
Hopefully it's a great game. Go Leinster!
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

Boks missing from SA teams
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

trapper wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:20 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:57 am

I agree that the Boks are our greatest rivalry but the Bledisloe is far more important than the Freedom Cup.
I blame George Gregan and four more years... after that it was like... right... four more decades of no Bledisloe for you!

Still the Boks for me because growing up they were almost mystical because we hardly ever played them... and because the matches on the High Veld always seem to be classics with them. It's good to have them back at the top table after about a decade in the wilderness.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

koroke hangareka wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:51 am
Grandpa wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:08 pm Eight biggest rivalries in world rugby.. ranked

On NZ vs SA:
they have racked up four World Cups between them – relations will always be icy.
Must be a re-hashed article from 2014... :D
koroke hangareka

Grandpa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:11 am
koroke hangareka wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:51 am

On NZ vs SA:
Must be a re-hashed article from 2014... :D
Could be. It's dated 2018.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Wales.

Shows my age.
You can call me Bill

Post by You can call me Bill »

For England I'd say it's:

1. Wales
2. Scotland
3. France
4. Australia
5. Ireland
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

Winnie wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:31 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:17 pm

Two questions:

I'll begin for Ireland.

Gatland.

He can be credited with creating the rivalry. It's now top 3 game in the 6 Nations after France v England and England v Wales
Wales vs Ireland doesn't even register with Scotland vs England or Le Crunch on top of Wales England. It's no way a top 3 6 Nations rivalry.
Is Scotland v England that much of a rivalry these days?
Only in the English press. We know we have a tiny player base compared to England and shouldn't really be able to compete, and while it was irksome for quite a while, since we got our shit together and started beating them over the last few years I think we're more bothered about Wales and Ireland.

It's something that gets whipped up, but that isn't as big a deal as is made out.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Punter15 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:58 pm
Winnie wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:31 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:17 pm

Gatland.

Wales vs Ireland doesn't even register with Scotland vs England or Le Crunch on top of Wales England. It's no way a top 3 6 Nations rivalry.
Is Scotland v England that much of a rivalry these days?
Only in the English press. We know we have a tiny player base compared to England and shouldn't really be able to compete, and while it was irksome for quite a while, since we got our shit together and started beating them over the last few years I think we're more bothered about Wales and Ireland.

It's something that gets whipped up, but that isn't as big a deal as is made out.
Why would the English press whip anything up?

6N rivalries are usually a product of who your mates and family are.