The official cycling thread

All things Rugby
Post Reply
Armchair_Superstar
Posts: 13521
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

I suppose it is a bit like trials riding in that it is more challenging at slow speeds. One of the nicest feelings on a bike is putting the power down on the way out of a corner, I suppose they feel like they're "hooked up" all the way through the turn. I prefer to be freewheeling and focussing on the balance of the bike in a corner but I suppose you would get a certain satisfaction out of doing it right.
User avatar
Womack
Posts: 5530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Womack »

I haven't ridden a fixie since I was probably 7 or 8, but there is an argument that it offers greater control over the power applied through the back wheel, and as such is a good choice for cycling in sketchy conditions. I should imagine there is also a more efficient transfer of power than with a freewheel system. And as Guy says, there is a supposed benefit in terms of teaching effective pedalling technique.

Mind you, none of the above necessarily explain why it's considered 'fun'. I'd like to give it a go anyway, I can definitely understand the challenge of mastering it being a fun thing in itself. I'd probably not use a fixie for my commute, my dodgy knee doesn't like accelerating in a high gear.
User avatar
Dumbledore
Posts: 11489
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA plum

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Dumbledore »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Apposite wrote:What's 'fun' about riding a fixie? Honest question.
You have the momentum of the bike coming back through the pedals which does feel quite nice in a straight line. Apart from that, you're into the fun-filled experience of going around a corner without leaning the bike over too far. I can see why some people enjoy the challenge of it all but for me the inability to lean the bike over at speed ruins it.
Mainly this. The challenge too. I've ridden a mates a couple of times, definitely takes a bit of getting used to. Didn't really think about the cornering though, that really would be annoying.
User avatar
Womack
Posts: 5530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Womack »

6roucho wrote:
Womack wrote:It's all about zen and flow, and you feel much more connected to the bike.

Er...maaaan.
Hmmmm, like all the fat Billys who ride urban racing bikes will ever use their titanium-carbonium attack heliciopter technology.

Most cyclists arguing about fixies versus track bikes are like dogs arguing over whether they're going to catch a Beemer or a Subaru.

The Zen is no more ludicrous than the Yen.
Ah, I'm only mucking around. I'm actually not that snobbish about what people choose to ride, cycling should be fun at the end of the day and who am I to dictate how somebody gets their kicks?
User avatar
6roucho
Posts: 9504
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Gangly Beehive

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by 6roucho »

I think it's fun, as do many others. I fully accept the complete bafflement of others, but - it doesn't actually reduce my fun.

Not understanding why something might be enjoyable is worth zilch.
User avatar
6roucho
Posts: 9504
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Gangly Beehive

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by 6roucho »

Womack wrote:
6roucho wrote:
Womack wrote:It's all about zen and flow, and you feel much more connected to the bike.

Er...maaaan.
Hmmmm, like all the fat Billys who ride urban racing bikes will ever use their titanium-carbonium attack heliciopter technology.

Most cyclists arguing about fixies versus track bikes are like dogs arguing over whether they're going to catch a Beemer or a Subaru.

The Zen is no more ludicrous than the Yen.
Ah, I'm only mucking around. I'm actually not that snobbish about what people choose to ride, cycling should be fun at the end of the day and who am I to dictate how somebody gets their kicks?
So am I Womack ;)
User avatar
Apposite
Posts: 2197
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Apposite »

Womack wrote:
6roucho wrote:
Womack wrote:It's all about zen and flow, and you feel much more connected to the bike.

Er...maaaan.
Hmmmm, like all the fat Billys who ride urban racing bikes will ever use their titanium-carbonium attack heliciopter technology.

Most cyclists arguing about fixies versus track bikes are like dogs arguing over whether they're going to catch a Beemer or a Subaru.

The Zen is no more ludicrous than the Yen.
Ah, I'm only mucking around. I'm actually not that snobbish about what people choose to ride, cycling should be fun at the end of the day and who am I to dictate how somebody gets their kicks?
Who are you to say that cycling SHOULD be fun? :x

I have to say I find your dictatorial attitude to be very overbearing. This isn't that kind of thread at all, we even have a hipster in here.
User avatar
Miguel Indurain
Posts: 2695
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Terenure, Dublin 6, Ireland

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Miguel Indurain »

Fixed are interesting to ride. I sometimes go down to Eamonn Ceannt park to ride the track on a fixed with crew down there on Wednesday evenings.

I'm not sure I'd try riding a fixed on the open road though.

edit : what fixed bikes are very good for is learning to ride tempo. Excellent form of cadence training.
User avatar
Miguel Indurain
Posts: 2695
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Terenure, Dublin 6, Ireland

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Miguel Indurain »

Jobby wrote:Image

Queue abuse

And a

Image
That is some bike? Celebrating winning the Giro? :P

What size frame is that? Looks a bit on the small side for this rider. But a nice machine nonetheless.
Seez
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Seez »

I commuted in London on a fixie for a couple of years, about 9 miles each way, pretty much every day.

I used to like the feeling of being able to control speed without touching the brakes and it helps to develop souplesse.

It's also mechanically simple, easier to keep clean than a derailleur (not that i ever cleaned it) and 1/8" chains and sprockets wear down less quickly and are less likely to break than 3/32".

Since I moved to the sticks I have put an 8-speed Alfine wheel in instead but it doesn't get used much because I tend to use my road bike when i commute all the way in (28 miles each way).

I also fixed up an old mountain bike that I leave in the office. I just turned the back wheel around and bolted a bolt-on cog onto the brake disc mount and swapped the chain for a 1/8" one.
Spyglass
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Houston

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Spyglass »

Gospel wrote:Has anyone got GPS on their bike?
I thinking of getting one of these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-800 ... on-bundle/
Unless you're frequently riding new routes where you may get lost or in someway need the map function, I would go with the 500 instead. It's cheaper, smaller, better battery life (12 hours per charge), all of the data/functionality you really need (including GPS tracking) and you get access to Garmin Connect. I got myself one for Christmas and am very happy with it.
Armchair_Superstar
Posts: 13521
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Spyglass wrote:
Gospel wrote:Has anyone got GPS on their bike?
I thinking of getting one of these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-800 ... on-bundle/
Unless you're frequently riding new routes where you may get lost or in someway need the map function, I would go with the 500 instead. It's cheaper, smaller, better battery life (12 hours per charge), all of the data/functionality you really need (including GPS tracking) and you get access to Garmin Connect. I got myself one for Christmas and am very happy with it.
I got an 800 when there was a great deal on at Halfords at Christmas, it has only just made it out of the box. I got it after wasting too much time f**king around with maps and smartphone GPS. Basically I can now upload a route and follow it when I want a big day out on an unfamiliar route. If you don't need that kind of thing there are cheaper options.
User avatar
Dumbledore
Posts: 11489
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA plum

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Dumbledore »

Speaking of fixies, this dude is just... unreal. Absolute monster. Complete idiot, but hey. All his videos are worth checking out, but this is just off the charts levels of beastliness.

http://vimeo.com/30420931
User avatar
Apposite
Posts: 2197
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Apposite »

That was a bit dodgy.
User avatar
Dumbledore
Posts: 11489
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA plum

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Dumbledore »

Bit awesome though.
User avatar
Womack
Posts: 5530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Womack »

Hillbombing vids are like watching someone skiing on rollerskates - impressive, but you can't help thinking a pair of skis would be more appropriate.

Get a freewheel and some brakes and ride down that hill properly! Bah!
User avatar
Dumbledore
Posts: 11489
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA plum

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Dumbledore »

:lol: Pretty much Wommers. I'd still love to be able to ride like that though.

I've seen a few of them, Apposite. That video of those boys in Utah makes me shiver every time - proper mentalists. Downhill cyclists are ridiculously skilful, don't get me wrong, I just prefer the aesthetics of a road or track bike. Mountain bikes are so...chunky.
User avatar
Jeff the Bear
Posts: 19512
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Jeff the Bear »

First ride of the year this morning! :D






It was f**king brutal, felt like I wanted to be sick before I'd even got out of my village, and I still had anotehr 5 and half miles to go. x(

Got it done though, but according to iMapmyride, I managed it in a paltry 33 minutes or so, a 8-9 minutes slower than the best I've ever managed for that route. :blush:

Here's my route/elevation graph:

Image
User avatar
Womack
Posts: 5530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Womack »

At least the journey home should be easier, by the looks of it. Then you just have a few days of feeling like you and a friend have been moving the sofa and you'll be all set for the summer.

My enjoyment of the fine weather this week has been tempered somewhat by the steady headwinds that have dogged my journeys home. More or less crawled up the final hill last night x(
Seez
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Seez »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Spyglass wrote:
Gospel wrote:Has anyone got GPS on their bike?
I thinking of getting one of these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-800 ... on-bundle/
Unless you're frequently riding new routes where you may get lost or in someway need the map function, I would go with the 500 instead. It's cheaper, smaller, better battery life (12 hours per charge), all of the data/functionality you really need (including GPS tracking) and you get access to Garmin Connect. I got myself one for Christmas and am very happy with it.
I got an 800 when there was a great deal on at Halfords at Christmas, it has only just made it out of the box. I got it after wasting too much time f**king around with maps and smartphone GPS. Basically I can now upload a route and follow it when I want a big day out on an unfamiliar route. If you don't need that kind of thing there are cheaper options.
http://www.strava.com is very cool if you have a garmin. All you do is upload your rides and it processes them into sections it recognises and then tells you how you compare to the other users that have ridden the same route. Lots of road climbs on there but also sections of singletrack, e.g. http://www.strava.com/segments/barry-knows-best-705138
User avatar
AYEAYE
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by AYEAYE »

The chap in the middle needs to adjust his saddle.

Image
User avatar
bealonian
Posts: 1646
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by bealonian »

Jeff the Bear wrote:First ride of the year this morning! :D






It was f**king brutal, felt like I wanted to be sick before I'd even got out of my village, and I still had anotehr 5 and half miles to go. x(

Got it done though, but according to iMapmyride, I managed it in a paltry 33 minutes or so, a 8-9 minutes slower than the best I've ever managed for that route. :blush:

Here's my route/elevation graph:

Image
Ooh...ride comparisons...here's my morning commute from a couple of days ago when the God of Traffic Lights was shining on me.

Image
User avatar
Womack
Posts: 5530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Womack »

Had a fun day at Leith Hill today, pretty hard work though. A lot rockier than where I've ridden before, and a lot of climbing to do to 'earn your turns'. Went and had a look at Deliverance but naturally bricked it and didn't attempt it. Summer Lightning was pretty good fun, and there of obviously loads of little trails and bumps to cock about on so all good fun.

Here's my steed atop the hill, officially the highest bike in SE England when this was taken:

Image
Armchair_Superstar
Posts: 13521
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Womack wrote:Had a fun day at Leith Hill today, pretty hard work though. A lot rockier than where I've ridden before, and a lot of climbing to do to 'earn your turns'. Went and had a look at Deliverance but naturally bricked it and didn't attempt it. Summer Lightning was pretty good fun, and there of obviously loads of little trails and bumps to cock about on so all good fun.

Here's my steed atop the hill, officially the highest bike in SE England when this was taken:

Image
Sounds like a good day. What is the craic with Deliverance, very steep or rocky?
User avatar
Womack
Posts: 5530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Womack »

Well it's just a very steep, rocky, rooty slope. And quite long as well, you're a long way above the bottom looking over from the top. Youtube vids of it don't really give an impression of quite how scary it is!

It's probably mostly mental in fairness, but I can't imagine myself ever having the bottle to have a go. Maybe with a full susser, full face helmet and body armour!
Armchair_Superstar
Posts: 13521
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Womack wrote:Well it's just a very steep, rocky, rooty slope. And quite long as well, you're a long way above the bottom looking over from the top. Youtube vids of it don't really give an impression of quite how scary it is!

It's probably mostly mental in fairness, but I can't imagine myself ever having the bottle to have a go. Maybe with a full susser, full face helmet and body armour!
Just keep her pointed in a straight line and take your finger off the front brake and you'll roll over most things.
Seez
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Seez »

I would need a lot of artificial substances to tackle Deliverance. The run from there to Summer Lightning is alright though - Crooked Furrow or Waggledance I think its called, they're all named after beers anyway. Summer Lightning doesn't feel quite the same since they logged the first section :( .

So did you start and finish in Westcott?
Seez
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Seez »

Image
User avatar
Womack
Posts: 5530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Womack »

Seez,

There was a closed road between us and where my mate usually parks so we parked up in a village called Abinger Common. Rode up from there, which was a good fun little cross country jaunt in its own right. I really enjoyed riding in the area, the fact that it was a weekday probably made it a lot more peaceful but even finding our way mostly uphill to the top of Leith Hill was really enjoyable. TBH it was the free-ridey kind of bumps and jumps that I enjoyed the best.
Seez
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Seez »

Womack wrote:Seez,

There was a closed road between us and where my mate usually parks so we parked up in a village called Abinger Common. Rode up from there, which was a good fun little cross country jaunt in its own right. I really enjoyed riding in the area, the fact that it was a weekday probably made it a lot more peaceful but even finding our way mostly uphill to the top of Leith Hill was really enjoyable. TBH it was the free-ridey kind of bumps and jumps that I enjoyed the best.
There's a good pub for food there called the Abinger Hatch.

You usually get a few people at the top of Leith Hill at weekends, and more around the village stores in Peaslake (road and MTBers) but I'm always suprised by how quiet it is on the trails.
User avatar
cheese cutter
Posts: 794
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Edinburgh via Raukapuka

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by cheese cutter »

I set myself a challenge of 20/10/20/10/20 miles for my Mon-Fri commute - did a few extra miles a couple of days so I ended up with 92 miles for the week.

I was very 'kin happy to see the 20 mile mark click over 50 yards from my front door on Friday night; my legs were mince by then. Probably a 60/40 split between hilly roads and cycle path/towpath/landy tracks; but I'll be doing more off road in the Pentland Hills as the days draw out over the next few weeks.
User avatar
Apposite
Posts: 2197
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Apposite »

Anyone know the maker of this frame/fork? Never heard of the brand before (BH).

In a bike shop with 105 groupset and a carbon fork. Nice bike, very light.
Spoiler: show
Image
User avatar
Miguel Indurain
Posts: 2695
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Terenure, Dublin 6, Ireland

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Miguel Indurain »

cheese cutter wrote:I set myself a challenge of 20/10/20/10/20 miles for my Mon-Fri commute - did a few extra miles a couple of days so I ended up with 92 miles for the week.

I was very 'kin happy to see the 20 mile mark click over 50 yards from my front door on Friday night; my legs were mince by then. Probably a 60/40 split between hilly roads and cycle path/towpath/landy tracks; but I'll be doing more off road in the Pentland Hills as the days draw out over the next few weeks.
That's pretty good going.
User avatar
musefreek
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by musefreek »

ah, i was looking for this thread last week.

for the first time in about 4/5 years i got stopped by a cop for jumping a red. the fine is £30. however, this is waivable if i attend some 30min road safety thing next week. phew!
User avatar
Laurent
Posts: 17503
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: balbriggan
Contact:

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Laurent »

musefreek wrote:ah, i was looking for this thread last week.

for the first time in about 4/5 years i got stopped by a cop for jumping a red. the fine is £30. however, this is waivable if i attend some 30min road safety thing next week. phew!
il faisait du vélo sans selle ?

;)
User avatar
Miguel Indurain
Posts: 2695
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Terenure, Dublin 6, Ireland

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Miguel Indurain »

Laurent wrote:
musefreek wrote:ah, i was looking for this thread last week.

for the first time in about 4/5 years i got stopped by a cop for jumping a red. the fine is £30. however, this is waivable if i attend some 30min road safety thing next week. phew!
il faisait du vélo sans selle ?

;)
:D
User avatar
musefreek
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by musefreek »

Laurent wrote:
musefreek wrote:ah, i was looking for this thread last week.

for the first time in about 4/5 years i got stopped by a cop for jumping a red. the fine is £30. however, this is waivable if i attend some 30min road safety thing next week. phew!
il faisait du vélo sans selle ?

;)
les vieilles habitudes ont la vie dure!
User avatar
Womack
Posts: 5530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Womack »

Apposite wrote:Anyone know the maker of this frame/fork? Never heard of the brand before (BH).

In a bike shop with 105 groupset and a carbon fork. Nice bike, very light.
Spoiler: show
Image
I dunno much about BH bikes, tbh, but if the price is right and it's a decent ride then go for it. You might want to put a shorter stem and some drop bars on that thing though :P

Oh, and some mudguards.

Muse,

I hope you learn your lesson. Stop RLJing!
User avatar
Apposite
Posts: 2197
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Apposite »

Womack wrote:
Apposite wrote:Anyone know the maker of this frame/fork? Never heard of the brand before (BH).

In a bike shop with 105 groupset and a carbon fork. Nice bike, very light.
Spoiler: show
Image
I dunno much about BH bikes, tbh, but if the price is right and it's a decent ride then go for it. You might want to put a shorter stem and some drop bars on that thing though :P

Oh, and some mudguards.

Muse,

I hope you learn your lesson. Stop RLJing!
It's terrifically light.

I have an (unseen) FCR3 @ €250 which is a decent price. Think it's scruffy but running well and not dented or anything. Block and chain are fine and wheels are grand.

This BH yoke is in a bike shop out near where I live. Pristine. They want €450 for it and I offered €400. No dice so far. It's in perfect nick though, and I'm guessing quite a bit lighter/faster than the Giant. Much more unusual too.
Post Reply