The official cycling thread

All things Rugby
Mr. Very Popular

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Has anyone tried using front brakes more than back? Tried it yesterday and today and was converted,much more control going around corners but a bit hairy the first few times.
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:Has anyone tried using front brakes more than back? Tried it yesterday and today and was converted,much more control going around corners but a bit hairy the first few times.
Front brakes will stop you a hell of a lot faster. Back brakes are for mountain biking!
Womack

Post by Womack »

For about 1.5 years I didn't have a working back brake on my commuting bike - a sticky noodle on the rear v-brake, due to rust I think. The majority of stopping power comes from the front brake, I use both now because they're there but you should definitely be using the front to stop, not just the back.
Mr. Very Popular

Apposite wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:Has anyone tried using front brakes more than back? Tried it yesterday and today and was converted,much more control going around corners but a bit hairy the first few times.
Front brakes will stop you a hell of a lot faster. Back brakes are for mountain biking!
I tried for the first time doing my first proper trail downhill,scary as fudge at times it got me round a few things I probably would have hopped off otherwise.
Womack

Post by Womack »

For MTBing, you shouldn't be grabbing the front brake in the corner. Ideally you should scrub enough speed with both brakes on the approach to a turn then roll round it. Shift your bodyweight back to avoid going over the bars when braking hard.

That's the ideal, anyway - I find I misjudge braking all the time and have to hit the brakes mid-turn, that is definitely not the time to be using the front brake though!
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

I popped down to the bike shop at lunch and got myself a little under-saddle bag, multitool, spare tube, tyre levers, adapter for my pump (it's a different connector) and a lock (Kryptonite Evo Mini with cable) for €100 all in. Happy enough with that.

Was only thinking about where to put phone/wallet/keys etc. while cycling when down there, in bag under saddle I presume?
Mr. Very Popular

Womack wrote:For MTBing, you shouldn't be grabbing the front brake in the corner. Ideally you should scrub enough speed with both brakes on the approach to a turn then roll round it. Shift your bodyweight back to avoid going over the bars when braking hard.

That's the ideal, anyway - I find I misjudge braking all the time and have to hit the brakes mid-turn, that is definitely not the time to be using the front brake though!
that's what I was trying,starting to brake by tipping the fronts and using the back close to the turn, definitely won't be braking hard with the fronts

Womack

Post by Womack »

Apposite wrote:I popped down to the bike shop at lunch and got myself a little under-saddle bag, multitool, spare tube, tyre levers, adapter for my pump (it's a different connector) and a lock (Kryptonite Evo Mini with cable) for €100 all in. Happy enough with that.

Was only thinking about where to put phone/wallet/keys etc. while cycling when down there, in bag under saddle I presume?
Didn't you say you were going to use a rucksack?

I just have keys and phone in my pocket, and wallet and anything else in my rucksack. And I now agree with Muse that you're over-analysing this! :P You are ready, grasshopper, just get on and do it now!
Seez

Post by Seez »

Apposite wrote:
Back brake for slowing down, front brake for stopping!
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

Womack wrote:
Apposite wrote:I popped down to the bike shop at lunch and got myself a little under-saddle bag, multitool, spare tube, tyre levers, adapter for my pump (it's a different connector) and a lock (Kryptonite Evo Mini with cable) for €100 all in. Happy enough with that.

I just have keys and phone in my pocket, and wallet and anything else in my rucksack. And I now agree with Muse that you're over-analysing this! :P You are ready, grasshopper, just get on and do it now!
Don't have a rucksack yet so will just cycle in with nothing on back at the start.

Now, Muse, what colours are fashionable for cycling? Would 3/4 length shorts be considered gauche?
musefreek

Post by musefreek »

Apposite wrote:
Womack wrote:

Don't have a rucksack yet so will just cycle in with nothing on back at the start.

Now, Muse, what colours are fashionable for cycling? Would 3/4 length shorts be considered gauche?
i don't care. as long as you stop halfway for tea and scones.
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

musefreek wrote:
Apposite wrote:
Womack wrote:

i don't care. as long as you stop halfway for tea and scones.
Sounds a bit English and crickety to me.

Is it OK if I do a pint of Guinness and a packet of blue King?
Womack

Post by Womack »

Seez wrote: Back brake for slowing down, front brake for stopping!
Have heard that before, what's the reason behind it? I just tend to use both brakes for everything.
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

Womack wrote:
Have heard that before, what's the reason behind it? I just tend to use both brakes for everything.
I read this many moons ago, quite interesting.
http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html
Womack

Post by Womack »

Apposite wrote:I read this many moons ago, quite interesting.

Cool, that makes sense. Doesn't explain why the rear brake should be used for slowing though - maybe to conserve front brake mojo for when it's needed?

Anyway [slight defensive mode as my both-brake method described as a beginner technique by Sheldon brown], I spent a long time only using a front brake so am pretty happy with my ability to execute a good emergency stop [/slight defensive mode as my both-brake method described as a beginner technique by Sheldon brown]
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

I use both too.

I think his real point is that you don't need to be too scared of going over the bars and that the front brake provides vastly more stopping power in most situations.
Seez

Post by Seez »

Womack wrote:
Apposite wrote:I read this many moons ago, quite interesting.

Cool, that makes sense. Doesn't explain why the rear brake should be used for slowing though - maybe to conserve front brake mojo for when it's needed?

Anyway [slight defensive mode as my both-brake method described as a beginner technique by Sheldon brown], I spent a long time only using a front brake so am pretty happy with my ability to execute a good emergency stop [/slight defensive mode as my both-brake method described as a beginner technique by Sheldon brown]
Yeah, I suppose I do it to leave the front rim and pad (or disc and pad) in good nick in case it is needed for an emergency. #alsoabeginneraccordingtosheldon

Also when mountain biking in sandy places like Leith Hill you can rip some wicked skids with the back brake, although that is naughty from an erosion POV.
musefreek

Post by musefreek »

this is a good cycling blog - http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.co.uk/
Womack

Post by Womack »

musefreek wrote:this is a good cycling blog - http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.co.uk/
The best. I can't read it at work any more for fear of snorting in laughter.

I derive most of my snobbish opinions about bikes and hipsters from there :o
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

Womack wrote:For MTBing, you shouldn't be grabbing the front brake in the corner. Ideally you should scrub enough speed with both brakes on the approach to a turn then roll round it. Shift your bodyweight back to avoid going over the bars when braking hard.

load of tosh, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps_YhCse ... r_embedded
Mr. Very Popular

fisgard792 wrote:

load of tosh, see

I reckon I'll be doing that by Saturday. :uhoh:
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
fisgard792 wrote:

load of tosh, see

I reckon I'll be doing that by Saturday. :uhoh:
do this first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea-KnyWn ... r_embedded
houtkabouter

Post by houtkabouter »

Thinking about upgrading to one of these http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... 9-elite-s/
Mr. Very Popular

Ahhhh,you're alright there,think I'll just leave that one thanks :thumbup:
Mr. Very Popular

houtkabouter wrote:Thinking about upgrading to one of these http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... 9-elite-s/
Nice,what kind of money does that go for?
houtkabouter

Post by houtkabouter »

Guy was saying about 1k, on the edge of the Bike to work scheme.

*sorry about the dozy typing, iPhone on train = suck.
Last edited by houtkabouter on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Very Popular

houtkabouter wrote:Guy was saying about 1k do on the edge of Nike to work scheme
not too bad,I thought it'd be a bit more.
farmerdave

Post by farmerdave »

Rode the Pakihi on the weekend, part of John keys get rich quick cycle trails. Utter failure on the get rich quik.
But bloody brilliant ride. 20 something ks of bushclad downhill a few hundred meters above the valley floor. I hate heights but I can get over it for that.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Had one of my favourite cycling pleasures this evening. Had some spandex clad plum try and jockey for position on me at the light, but I kept to the inside of the turn meaning he'd have to go in the on-coming lane to pass me. If he was truly faster, I'd willingly let him by but he was well back when we were riding from the park and only caught up to be because I stopped at a light.

Another half Km or so I indicate that I'm slowing down for a 4-way stop and he flies right through without stopping, clicking his f**king grip shift (I was riding a single speed, btw). I stop, but don't put a foot down, check both ways and pedal hard and within 100m started tail gating him just for 50m or so to prove (to myself at least) that I'm faster and he's a plum then backed off and turned down my street.

It's no wonder drivers hate us when dicks like that have no regard for stop signs and lights.
sparky101

Post by sparky101 »

I was thinking of getting into a bit of cycling.

Is a helmet the only thing you need?If so ,Im sorted.

And before you say I need a bike I can't afford one so thats out.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

sparky101 wrote:I was thinking of getting into a bit of cycling.

Is a helmet the only thing you need?If so ,Im sorted.

And before you say I need a bike I can't afford one so thats out.
Yes, thats the last thing you need.
Why do people use helmets ? do they plan on falling off ?
I've never seen the need myself.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

musefreek wrote:after my weekend of riverside cycling i got punctures in both wheels. took it to cycle surgery this morning. the plum are charging me £35 to get it fixed. total bloody ripoff. seriously need to go on a bike course so i can learn how to do this sort of shit myself.

*waves around fist of fury*
I've learnt how to do a lot more complicated jobs then that on the interweb.
£35.00 is a rip off though.
Last year I got a puncture down Chichester way. No pump, or puncture repair kit, but earlier I had seen a bike shop.
I took the wheel off, caught a bus, and made it to the shop just in time. I was hoping to get away with a cost of about £10, but was pleasantly surprised when he said £6, the cost of the tube.
The message is get away from those corporate style places like "cycle surgery" and find an old fashioned bike repair shop.
10 years ago or so I was charged a reasonable price by a shop just to the north of Richmond bridge. Keep your eyes open also around markets.
DOB

Post by DOB »

I snapped a spoke on Saturday coming into the halfway-town on my ride; back wheel, on the chain side, so it was gonna involve taking the freewheel off and everything. Stopped outside the town bike shop to try truing it to rideable condition with 1 spoke down, but it wasn't happening; happened to overhear the bloke in the shop say they were slow for the morning, so asked how quickly they'd have me ready to go. 20 minutes and $30 later I was back on the road.

Not cheap, but they did it quicker and better than when I did the same thing myself a few weeks ago. In fact, I'm not 100% sure my own home-effort didn't contribute to the snap this time around.

Did 30 miles solo Saturday, touch rugby sunday, 25 hilly miles with 2 others after work Monday, and 90 minutes touch yesterday evening; my body is in bits and I've been f**king useless all day today.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

DOB, I've just volunteered to ref high school. I've told them I'll do anything in a 8km radius from my downtown location ... my bike range where I feel I could still survive the game (luckily high school is just 30 min halves here). We'll see how May goes for me and how many more lbs I can shed!

For the posts preceding, the acronym you're looking for LBS = local bike shop. They're the best. Fiddled for two hours one night with the issue I posted here about the gears not changing properly. $12 and one hour later they had it sorted ... almost. Went down the street and had a bit of clicking, tried a couple of short twists of the barrell adjusters - no change. Didn't want to be a dick about it but took it back and the guy was super nice about it. Really wanted to make sure it was the right fit for me and stuck by his work, even shelling out some tips that would essentially save me from going back for that same reason. The pay off is that though I'll probably not need simple repairs like that, I'll give them my loyalty for all other things.

... like the $900 commuter I got that's going to be my touring bike, as it's got road components from front to back, and hydraulic disc brakes.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Got back from holiday to find that our Site is being compulsorily acquired for a Train line. I have move our main datacentre and am assisting with the buiding search. A key selling point will be showers etc for cycling in 8)

Did the SF > Tiburon Bike ride on holiday. Awesome fun.

The only issue I had was whinging GF (only the last 5Km to be fair) and the tourer style saddle - farking sore barse from the wide saddle :shock:
DOB

Post by DOB »

Mat the Expat wrote:Got back from holiday to find that our Site is being compulsorily acquired for a Train line. I have move our main datacentre and am assisting with the buiding search. A key selling point will be showers etc for cycling in 8)

Did the SF > Tiburon Bike ride on holiday. Awesome fun.

The only issue I had was whinging GF (only the last 5Km to be fair) and the tourer style saddle - farking sore barse from the wide saddle :shock:
That's my neighbourhood. How'd you get there and back?
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Really? I must say, I could live in DC and NYC but SF was more my "scene" with it's relaxed nature. Very similar to Sydney. Where do you live?

We rode from Hyde st (Blazing Saddles natch), down to the Presidio, over the bridge then downhill to Sausalito. Got energy from the Taffy shop and then cycled along the Marsh/wetland area to Tiburon before catching the ferry back.

I had a lovely drop on the ferry - 6.9% after a big bike ride was amusing.

Sadly, saw a guy stack it in the tramlines at Fisherman's Wharf and looked like he broke his arm :shock:

The last day, we did this which Brumbie Steve put me onto:

Fantastic fun and put the Lady of the House's fears about mopeds etc into perspective - we're moving into a unit in the city soon and it makes more sense for me to get a moped/bike for commuting as we don't need two cars.

Of course "moped" will morph into a low rider eventually 8)
Clanger

Post by Clanger »

Womack wrote:
Only use the front brake when you are about to stop - if you are going down a steepy, back brake all the way, you will descend faster and feel more in control - and you'll enjoy it more too! Takes a bit of getting used too, but not that long. When I first started mountain biking, I used the front brake too much, I was on the Marin trail at the very top, on a steep section I went clean over the handle bars and fractured a rib. Next time my braking skills were better and no problem.
musefreek

Post by musefreek »

so i went to the road safety thing at guildhall yard this morning in order to waive the £30 fine for jumping a red a few weeks ago. it only lasted 20 mins. i had to watch a short video, got into a big lorry to see the driver's blindspots then i got loads of freebie shit like reflectors and lights.

metropolitan police i love you.
Mr. Very Popular

musefreek wrote:so i went to the road safety thing at guildhall yard this morning in order to waive the £30 fine for jumping a red a few weeks ago. it only lasted 20 mins. i had to watch a short video, got into a big lorry to see the driver's blindspots then i got loads of freebie shit like reflectors and lights.

metropolitan police i love you.
Was the lorry nice? What are the lights like?
Did you pretend to drive the lorry?