The official cycling thread

All things Rugby
Apposite

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Apposite »

Nieghorn wrote:
Apposite wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Regarding gearing, if you're in the highest gear of the middle chain ring, why not cruise in a 'lower' gear on the big chain ring? When I'm in the city, I'm usually in the middle while on the big, and then shift down to the middle chain ring at lights, flipping back up when I build some speed.

(For urban riding, I'd be better off with just one cog at the back and the three rings up front. I do fine on my single speed, but many downward slopes see me unable to pedal and there are a couple of hills in this city that I can't make up even standing to pedal, and with my weight.)
That's probably a more sensible strategy alright on the gear front. Never know which is high or low on bikes, basically the bigger the front cog and smaller the back the higher gear, yeah? Higher gear more resistance, so 21st is big cog front/little back? Or is that first??
Yeah, pretty sure that's how it goes. I always think of it like a car. I'm not starting or going up a hill in the gear that makes me go fastest ... so small chain ring at the front and largest cog at the back is "1st" and as you describe above is "21st".

... though when I think about it too much, I imagine there is some cross over as middle / 5th is probably a 'higher' gear than top / 3rd, for example.

I try not to think about such things, though, as I've only just begun to learn about bike mechanics.
I vaguely remember reading that spending time in an gear combo with a lot of diagonal distance wears chain faster.

I think my bike actually has 27 gears, I use about 4.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Apposite wrote:
Womack wrote:I'm saying nothing :P

I got loads of odd aches and pains when starting out, they all gradually went away though. I think I did have a similar hand pain. Do you use gloves? That may help.

Re the gears, definitely do try to anticipate stops and change down - you are right, turning too big a gear is not good for dodgy knees. Also, if you always stay in the same cog you'll wear it out!
The wear never occurred to me, another good reason to change more.

The knee is only not sore when I am actually cycling, which is weird.

Hopefully the hand pain will just go away. Maybe I am gripping a bit tight. I find the bike pretty comfy in general and vary between the bar-ends and bars a fair bit. I'd say I'm just not used to the vibrations.
Think of yourself as a fixed speed motor spinning the pedals at a steady power output and cadence of 85 to 95 rpm (steep hills excluded), then use your gears to maintain this cadence as you deal with wind, hills, etc. As you practice it will become natural to spin at a higher cadence. This will save your knees and the ride will stress your aerobic system rather than fatiguing your major muscle groups by mashing the pedals at a low cadence.

If you are suffering hand pain you may want to look at your fit, particularly the saddle fore/aft position. You should be able to take your hands off the handlebars and maintain your normal riding position without stressing your stomach muscles. If you are, it indicates that too much weight is on your hands so try moving the saddle back to get a better balance position. Or better still pay for a proper bike fit, it’s worth every penny in long term comfort and more importantly the avoidance of injuries.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Regards Strava I did 10 loops of Tokyo Imperial Palce this morning (5k loop).. it only measured 4 of them and my 2nd lap I was gunning for a PB. :x
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

HKCJ wrote:Regards Strava I did 10 loops of Tokyo Imperial Palce this morning (5k loop).. it only measured 4 of them and my 2nd lap I was gunning for a PB. :x

So have you added a segment for the Tokyo Imperial Palace loop to compete against other cyclists on Strava... :P
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

musefreek wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
musefreek wrote:i highly recommend these bikes. they're bloody stunning. you got to see them in person at the company's shoreditch shop.

http://tokyobike.co.uk/
Hmm.. Many of those bikes use Shimano Acera & Tourney components which are cheap junk. Avoid.

Pete
why is it cheap junk?

anyway, i think those bikes looks stunning.
It's cheap junk because... it's cheap junk.

Acera and Tourney components are about the cheapest, nastiest ones that Shimano make and should be avoided if you actually plan on doing a decent amount of cycling. I broke 2 Shimano Acera Bottom Brackets and one V brake on bikes last year during normal riding. One BB I trashed in 3 weeks from brand new. You don't need to spend that much more to get half decent components so do so.

As an example, an Acera BB (UN26) costs around £8 and is crap. A Shimano UN55 is around £16 and is bulletproof.

The bikes do look nice though.

Pete
Womack

Post by Womack »

HKCJ wrote:Regards Strava I did 10 loops of Tokyo Imperial Palce this morning (5k loop).. it only measured 4 of them and my 2nd lap I was gunning for a PB. :x
It could be pretty annoying. You could always create your own segment based on your 2nd loop to claim a moral PB. I used to do that sometimes if I knew I'd done well on a segment but it hadn't registered.

I gave up on it in the end as I found it was starting to spoil my enjoyment of my commute. I prefer the direct competition and tactical complexity of road racing, not the rigid discipline of time trialling.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Had a browse of that tokyobike site ... odd frames ... bit 'meh'. Am currently re-fitting an old 10 speed to look like that.

On a brighter note, spotted a very cute bird in the Tweed Run photo set:

Openside

Post by Openside »

musefreek wrote:i don't get too sweaty as i don't race in (i haven't mentioned that before have i?!). i do find that if you cycle in with a backpack that makes for an awfully uncomfortable sweaty back. buying a bag rack was the best thing ever.

my cycle to work is 10km which i'll cycle in around 45-50 minutes.

Farkin hell I could run it in that (2 years ago)
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Openside wrote:
musefreek wrote:i don't get too sweaty as i don't race in (i haven't mentioned that before have i?!). i do find that if you cycle in with a backpack that makes for an awfully uncomfortable sweaty back. buying a bag rack was the best thing ever.

But do you stop for scones and dream about shoes and bands while running?
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

Openside wrote:

You could walk it in 80!
musefreek

Post by musefreek »

Openside wrote:

i suppose that's true. maybe i do cycle a bit quicker than that.
cheese cutter

Post by cheese cutter »

Had another great ride last night - up into the Pentland hills near Edinburgh and through a couple of passes - basically this 10 mile route but with about 7.5 miles either end to get there and home. Did the 25mi in about 2.5 hrs - not thrashing it but will get faster over the next few months.

I join this route at the 'V' at the top, traveling clockwise. Only saw 3 other cyclist on this section but it is pretty busy at the weekends. I can do this loop doing about 3 miles on city roads, which is good.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Gents, I'm planning a cycle around lake Geneva (190 km) with some mates in the next few weeks. None of us are proper cyclists so we are planning stopping halfway (in Montreux) for a night. Terrain will be flat but how tough is that distance over two days? Easy peasy Japanesey? Bearing in mind that we may be hungover on the second day.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

ZappaMan wrote:Gents, I'm planning a cycle around lake Geneva (190 km) with some mates in the next few weeks. None of us are proper cyclists so we are planning stopping halfway (in Montreux) for a night. Terrain will be flat but how tough is that distance over two days? Easy peasy Japanesey? Bearing in mind that we may be hungover on the second day.
The distance is probably do-able at an easy pace.

Your most likely problems would be aches and pains from the bike not fitting, or a sore ringpiece from improper attire.
Mr. Very Popular

ZappaMan wrote:Gents, I'm planning a cycle around lake Geneva (190 km) with some mates in the next few weeks. None of us are proper cyclists so we are planning stopping halfway (in Montreux) for a night. Terrain will be flat but how tough is that distance over two days? Easy peasy Japanesey? Bearing in mind that we may be hungover on the second day.
You'll all have sore arses the second day.

Probably get sore from the saddle as well!
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

95k a day for two isn't too bad. Pace yourselves. Make sure you have comfortable saddles and the bikes are the right size.

Montreux is an alright spot but I wouldn't stop halfway. If you're not cycling normally I would advise doing 2/3 of the distance first day, particularly if boozing on sat night. I'd stop in Evian or Lausanne depending which direction you go.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Thanks, lads.
Mr. Very Popular

ZappaMan wrote:Thanks, lads.

No bother,may I recommend

http://www.chamoisbuttr.blogspot.com/
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Sounds awesome - 190km should be very do-able in two days depending on how long you want to be in the saddle each day and how many stops you want to make.
musefreek

Post by musefreek »

what terrain will you be cycling on zappa?
Womack

Post by Womack »

Take some olives and maybe a nice salad for recovery.
Mr. Very Popular

Womack wrote:
Take some olives and maybe a nice salad for recovery.
Maybe a bottle of Chardonnay to stay hydrated as well?
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

musefreek wrote:what terrain will you be cycling on zappa?
There is a road circling the entire lake that has a cycle path, so flat, even tarmac. Serious cyclists do it in one day (6 hours apparently!). I cycled to Nyon and back (roughly 35k) last weekend without too much difficulty but my bot-bot was sore for days afterwards.

It's good fun, cycling, I can see myself getting more involved.

Thanks again for the advice, chaps.
Openside

Post by Openside »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
The distance is probably do-able at an easy pace.

Your most likely problems would be aches and pains from the bike not fitting, or a sore ringpiece from sharing a room

Fixed :P
musefreek

Post by musefreek »

ZappaMan wrote:
musefreek wrote:what terrain will you be cycling on zappa?
There is a road circling the entire lake that has a cycle path, so flat, even tarmac. Serious cyclists do it in one day (6 hours apparently!). I cycled to Nyon and back (roughly 35k) last weekend without too much difficulty but my bot-bot was sore for days afterwards.

It's good fun, cycling, I can see myself getting more involved.

Thanks again for the advice, chaps.
okay well if it's tarmac you should defo be fine to do it in two days.

sounds great, have fun.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Can you get tea and scones on the shore of Lake Geneva?
DOB

Post by DOB »

Just bought this on ebay.

I always wanted a Cannondale, thought i did always imagine it would be less than 20 years old when I finally got one. Seller reckons there's not much miles on it.

Those handlebars will have to go, though.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Those handlebars are heinous. Nice looking frame though, what are you planning on doing with it DOB?
DOB

Post by DOB »

Cannibalize it for spares. Use what's left as a shops-and-back type runaround.

At some stage I'll make a decision if the 'Dale frame or my current Schwinn frame is the better, and put all my best components on the better frame.

This may well be the start of a period of me buying bits of bikes, and frankensteining them together to make something approaching a nice ride. Which'll be something nice to look forward to.
Clanger

Post by Clanger »

Hard to beat the rolling Surrey Hills on a perfect summer's day. Did around 30 miles around Box Hill/Pewley Hill area, superb. Some of the singletrack is awesome, found several new routes yesterday. Out again on Tuesday :thumbup:
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

DOB wrote:Just bought this on ebay.

I always wanted a Cannondale, thought i did always imagine it would be less than 20 years old when I finally got one. Seller reckons there's not much miles on it.

Those handlebars will have to go, though.
I remember these coming out. They polarised opinion as cyclists back then tended to be very traditional and these had huge tubes by the standards of the time. Never rode one but they were reckoned to be very stiff, but also were poorer than steel at soaking up vibration so were a tiring ride on rough surfaces.
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

Is anyone here a member of British Cycling and is it worth it?

They sent me some bumpf this morning.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Tim. wrote:Is anyone here a member of British Cycling and is it worth it?

They sent me some bumpf this morning.
I am, and I think it probably is. My membership includes liability insurance and legal support in the case of an accident, which in itself is probably worth the price of membership if you commute or ride a lot on the roads. You get various discounts and the odd priority booking code (recently for the track cycling warm-up/test event in Feb, sadly I still didn't get tickets!). And you get an email newsletter every now and then that is sometimes worth a read.

I don't really use many of the benefits very often but at £24 a year it's pretty decent value I think.
Armchair_Superstar

I decided on a road bike (Genesis Equilibrium 20), went to buy it, and discovered they're sold out from the distributor :x
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:I decided on a road bike (Genesis Equilibrium 20), went to buy it, and discovered they're sold out from the distributor :x
Nice bike, old-school steel frame!
Armchair_Superstar

Apposite wrote:
Armchair_Superstar wrote:I decided on a road bike (Genesis Equilibrium 20), went to buy it, and discovered they're sold out from the distributor :x
Nice bike, old-school steel frame!
Yep I'm f**king annoyed now, was so set on it. The 10 is available and I like the look of it but I'd far rather have 105 than Tiagra and I would only end upgrading everything on the 10.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Are you sure there's not an odd one left in stock somewhere, AS? What were you going for, the 2011?
Armchair_Superstar

Womack wrote:Are you sure there's not an odd one left in stock somewhere, AS? What were you going for, the 2011?
I've looked around but I can't see it anywhere, its the 2012, the 2011s all sold out. Might look at a Giant from Pauls Cycles or something. I was really wanting something with mudguard mounts for the winter, I might just have to go for the 10.
Armchair_Superstar

Womack wrote:Are you sure there's not an odd one left in stock somewhere, AS? What were you going for, the 2011?
I've looked around but I can't see it anywhere, its the 2012, the 2011s all sold out. Might look at a Giant from Pauls Cycles or something. I was really wanting something with mudguard mounts for the winter, I might just have to go for the 10.
Womack

Post by Womack »

That's a bit shit then. Any frames still going, you've got time for a full build before the winter!