booji boy

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by booji boy »

farmerdave wrote:
booji boy wrote:
farmerdave wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:Awesome :thumbup:
I'd use that calorie burn as a licence to eat pies and drink stout all week.
I rode a local mountain bike race here known as the Caters Classic yesterday. I did the medium route, 26.6km. Doesn't sound like much compared to road mileage but on mostly narrow, tight, hilly single track it's much slower going. It's winter here and it was freezing, fingers were numb for most of the ride. Overcast day and the sun never broke through to provide at least a little warmth. I signed up for it just 5 weeks ago thinking it would provide extra motivation to train but with so much cold, rainy weather in the past few weeks plus being away last weekend I didn't train half as much as I'd intended to. :blush:

Anyway, long story short, I enjoyed a pie and (quite) a few craft beers post race. :lol:
Spent the weekend in Rotovegas in the redwoods. Saturday was cold but beautiful and easy to be warm. Sunday was freezing with the fingers on my right hand turning white . Small price to pay to ride in such an awesome place and the parking was packed out both days .
:thumbup: Nice one!

I'm in Taupo. Where were you traveling from?
Came over from Waimana . It's central for some of the kids and grandkids who all love riding there, such a great place for all levels. Was down your way a few weeks ago and did 42nd traverse, wasn't even as cold as the weekend which was bloody lucky.
Yeah the weekend was freezing. Saturday was Ok and warmed up in the afternoon. Sunday the sun never broke through. My ride was at 10am and it was freezing. Did the 42 Traverse about 20 years ago. Not sure if it's changed much in that time but the sport of mountain biking certainly has. If I could go back and ride it back then with the bike I have now my riding group would be blown away by my bike. 42 Traverse would have been freezing on Sunday!
DOB

Post by DOB »

nardol wrote:Anyone have any experience doing the French climbs? I tried a few italian ones and it put me off doing the big European climbs for fear of me losing my life.... Are the French any better/safer?
Had a trip to the Pyrenees a couple years ago and loved every minute. Tourmalet, Aubisque, Peyresourde, Aspin and Ancizan, with the highlight being Lac de Cap de Long. Road surfaces were nice compared to what I’m used to, particularly on the climbs that are also busy roads (Aspin and Peyresourde). Car traffic was courteous, and as often as not they’d give encouragement going past.
Womack

Post by Womack »

booji boy wrote:
I rode a local mountain bike race here known as the Caters Classic yesterday. I did the medium route, 26.6km. Doesn't sound like much compared to road mileage but on mostly narrow, tight, hilly single track it's much slower going. It's winter here and it was freezing, fingers were numb for most of the ride. Overcast day and the sun never broke through to provide at least a little warmth. I signed up for it just 5 weeks ago thinking it would provide extra motivation to train but with so much cold, rainy weather in the past few weeks plus being away last weekend I didn't train half as much as I'd intended to. :blush:

Anyway, long story short, I enjoyed a pie and (quite) a few craft beers post race. :lol:
Well done for doing it, I have a history of signing up to winter events for 'motivation' and then sacking them off because I've done fudge all! :blush:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Womack wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Well done for doing it, I have a history of signing up to winter events for 'motivation' and then sacking them off because I've done fudge all! :blush:
:lol: Cheers (it crossed my mind)
DOB

Post by DOB »

Bumping for the benefit of, among others, Scrummie, who had questions about riding TdF mountains and routes.

I’ve been to the Pyrienees, not the Alps. A very doable loop for a Sunday Spin level cyclist is the Col d’Aspin and Horcette d’Ancizan.

From the same area, famous climbs like the Tourmalet, Aubisque, Hautacam, Peyresourde, and Pla d’Adet are accessible.

And I have to mention Lac de Cap de Long, which isn’t as hard as some of the others, and can’t be used in the Tour as it’s a national park, but is the most beautiful mountain I’ve ever climbed myself.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

DOB wrote:Bumping for the benefit of, among others, Scrummie, who had questions about riding TdF mountains and routes.

I’ve been to the Pyrienees, not the Alps. A very doable loop for a Sunday Spin level cyclist is the Col d’Aspin and Horcette d’Ancizan.

From the same area, famous climbs like the Tourmalet, Aubisque, Hautacam, Peyresourde, and Pla d’Adet are accessible.

And I have to mention Lac de Cap de Long, which isn’t as hard as some of the others, and can’t be used in the Tour as it’s a national park, but is the most beautiful mountain I’ve ever climbed myself.
Xupi is the PR expert on cycling in France and has given plenty of good advice to folks in the past
Seez

Post by Seez »

Scrummie wrote:We’re off to Calabria in September and looking into taking the bike. Just been looking at some of the climbs available down there and there seems to be some challenging climbs available.

As mentioned on the other thread I’m looking for my first big mountain ride but just don’t know yet whether it’s a realistic goal or I’m deluding myself.
I think you'll be OK, you can always turn round and freewheel down. Just don't choose a route where once you've descended you have to climb back up to get home!
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

Try going 10k up the wrong climb because my mate got lost ! Wouldn't mind but we were heading for his house.
Old Man by the Sea

Post by Old Man by the Sea »

I've been back on the bike again. We do 18.9 miles a day, mostly flat here on the coast but strong ocean cross wind and humid as hell.
Rednecks in the South hate bike riders. I've had my share of conflict with bubba's in the pick up.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Rednecks in the West hate cyclists too.

And business types in the cities.

And wine country self-important types.

Etc etc.
beafheart

Post by beafheart »

I'm not really a long distance biker - once in a while I'll do 20-30km, but mostly it's just cycling to work - but, perhaps stupidly, committee to riding from Bristol to Weymouth last Friday. Turns out I enjoyed it much more than expected and would like to try some more longer rides, although I maybe in a group rather than solo. Any recommendations for joining clubs, and what sort of standard I should be looking? (The ride was 115km, with 1800m vertical climbing, and I did it in 5h30 with about another half hour of breaks - I was quite tired by the end but nothing bad enough to stop be recouping all the lost calories with beer 🍺)
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

beafheart wrote:I'm not really a long distance biker - once in a while I'll do 20-30km, but mostly it's just cycling to work - but, perhaps stupidly, committee to riding from Bristol to Weymouth last Friday. Turns out I enjoyed it much more than expected and would like to try some more longer rides, although I maybe in a group rather than solo. Any recommendations for joining clubs, and what sort of standard I should be looking? (The ride was 115km, with 1800m vertical climbing, and I did it in 5h30 with about another half hour of breaks - I was quite tired by the end but nothing bad enough to stop be recouping all the lost calories with beer 🍺)
Bristol has loads of clubs - I can't personally comment on any of them as I have never joined or ridden with any of them.

At the pace you rode the 115km at North Bristol Cycling Club would sound about the right pace - They go from Bradley Stoke Tescos on a Sunday AM.

Salt and Sham (SAS) based in Keynsham are the other big club I see regularly, but off the top of my head I could name 5 or 6 other clubs. The British Cycling website should be able to point you in the direction of your most local club though
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Scrummie wrote:Anyone had experience of or bought a Planet X London Road bike? After speaking to my local bike mechanic about building a bike he recommended the above as a starting point to then upgrade the cassette, bars, seat post and saddle to my spec. It has the mid range Sram Force groupset.
No specific advice on that bike but I see its disc equipped, If you are going disc avoid mechanical like the plague - Hydraulic all the way. PlanetX website suggests that you get SRAM Apex or Rival, doesn't mention Force...

Was he suggesting purchasing the whole bike or just the frameset? I don't personally see much point in buying a whole bike to bin most of the parts. particularly those parts that would make up a lot of the difference in price from the frameset.

It looks like a decent commuter/leisure bike. No point in upgrading cassette until it wears out and for me the first upgrade on any of them would be the wheels rather than any of the mechanicals
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

planet x are a shite company run by bad people.

bikes are cheap decent value offerings though, but don't expect customer service if something goes wrong.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Scrummie wrote:Anyone had experience of or bought a Planet X London Road bike? After speaking to my local bike mechanic about building a bike he recommended the above as a starting point to then upgrade the cassette, bars, seat post and saddle to my spec. It has the mid range Sram Force groupset.
Force is the level above Rival, iirc. You’d be doing well with that.

As far as upgrades, I think he might have been referring to your contact points; the tires and saddle that came stock on my Cannondale were utterly awful, for example, and I replaced both very quickly after buying. Handlebar tape is another personalization/comfort upgrade that a lot of people make soon after buying a new bike.

But handlebars I would think would be an unusual swap out, unless the stock bars are genuinely too wide/narrow, or the curve is particularly uncomfortable. Similarly, there is no reason to change your seatpost unless/until your saddle actually falls off the bike.

I wouldn’t rush to change out your cassette unless you find you need a lower gear. But even that’s unlikely with modern bikes, you’ll probably have a 34-28 low gear or lower, which should be ample for anything you’ll ride up in the UK. If you then go to the Alps, you can consider swapping out for an 11-32 cassette depending on your fitness.

Lots of stock bikes come with cheap “finishing kits” ie, the non-branded components that connect things together; they save money there to get the higher spec shifters etc into your price point. Some of these will be wear-and-tear items that you will end up replacing as you go; tires, tubes, brake pads, handlebar tape, gear and brake cables. Some will be groupset items that you’ll hardly notice (cranks, chain, brake calipers). You’ll probably have cheap wheels on board, and an upgraded pair might save half a kilo or more in weight.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Posted this in the Froome Fred by accident. Aqua Blue are abandoning their 1x experiment, and reverting to double chainrings forthwith.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... trada-due/

There might be something to be said for 1x in certain applications, and there are certain races on the pro calendar where it’s probably ideal, but it’s clear that a) there’s teething problems with the tech and b) the range/spacing trade off isn’t there yet.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

DOB wrote:Posted this in the Froome Fred by accident. Aqua Blue are abandoning their 1x experiment, and reverting to double chainrings forthwith.

There might be something to be said for 1x in certain applications, and there are certain races on the pro calendar where it’s probably ideal, but it’s clear that a) there’s teething problems with the tech and b) the range/spacing trade off isn’t there yet.
I have a 1 x gravel /cx bike that I have geared up for road use 46 with 40-11 rear.

the main issue is the big shifts in cadence needed to maintain a steady speed.

I would guess it plays havoc with heart rates in the pro peleton.

Its great for solo riding and winter rides though.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

DOB wrote:Posted this in the Froome Fred by accident. Aqua Blue are abandoning their 1x experiment, and reverting to double chainrings forthwith.

I think the writing was on the wall when Delaney had a go on Twitter. A few of the cyclists seems to have gripes about it too, and it definitely cost results (can't remember the instance right now but the rider was absolutely fuming).

I reckon if they dropped the cost a bit the 1x would be desirable for the leisure rider. Less gears, less demand on the bike so less mechanicals, less messing, seems like it would be easier to clean too.

On another ABS note, anyone tried to buy anything from them? Seems to be uniformly bad from the people I know (a sample of 3).

Edit: and also great to see ABS with an Irish National Champ too.
Last edited by Bullettyme on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

Bullettyme wrote: Edit: and also great to see ABS with an Irish National Champ too.
Conor was a junior in my club.

Not saying hes a poach but...
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Scrummie wrote:Instead of going for the sensible London Road bike I hovered over the buy button for a while and then bought the Planet X Pro Carbon in Matt black with full Ultegra 8000 with a few upgrades inc seat post, stem and bars all for a few pence short of £1300 which I thought wasn’t to bad. Never had a new bike before yet alone an 8kg Carbon.

Now tell me I’ve made a big mistake.

Getting a new cassette fitted for my knees when it’s being built and passed on the disc brakes
How heavy are you? They often flex a bit...
Seez

Post by Seez »

blindcider wrote:
Scrummie wrote:Instead of going for the sensible London Road bike I hovered over the buy button for a while and then bought the Planet X Pro Carbon in Matt black with full Ultegra 8000 with a few upgrades inc seat post, stem and bars all for a few pence short of £1300 which I thought wasn’t to bad. Never had a new bike before yet alone an 8kg Carbon.

Getting a new cassette fitted for my knees when it’s being built and passed on the disc brakes
Mine is 11 years old (still with original Ultegra brakes, shifters and rear mech) and still going strong as winter bike / commuter with a rack I've managed to fit to it. I've heard the rumours about flex but not noticed it myself. I probably haven't been more than 90kg since I've had it but I have averaged 1400 watts for 5 seconds on it.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Seez wrote:
blindcider wrote:

Mine is 11 years old (still with original Ultegra brakes, shifters and rear mech) and still going strong as winter bike / commuter with a rack I've managed to fit to it. I've heard the rumours about flex but not noticed it myself. I probably haven't been more than 90kg since I've had it but I have averaged 1400 watts for 5 seconds on it.
Impressive :thumbup: I'm at 1225 but get low and pretty aero which helps after my initial jump
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

Am knocking in the 120km rides now, including Het Kopje the biggest hill in Holland and 60 mps through the dunes. I get about 750m vertical which is good in the flat lands.

Back on power bars and gels to stop the bonus, epic levels of post ride gas, the missus is not that impressed :lol:
The Ginger Jedi

Post by The Ginger Jedi »

Anyone done the Ride London 100? Any tips? Distance isn't a problem and the profile doesn't look too challenging (compared to Cornwall). I suppose my biggest concern is sharing the roads with so many people although I do have a nice early start time (06:20). What time is it light in London at the moment?
Thanks in advance.
TFC1

Post by TFC1 »

The Ginger Jedi wrote:Anyone done the Ride London 100? Any tips? Distance isn't a problem and the profile doesn't look too challenging (compared to Cornwall). I suppose my biggest concern is sharing the roads with so many people although I do have a nice early start time (06:20). What time is it light in London at the moment?
Thanks in advance.
I have done it twice. It is the easiest 100 miles you will ever do. closed roads, a bit of drafting off others etc and it is great to have perople cheering you on all the way.

My average speed for 100 miles would normally be around 16mph but found I did 19mph on that ride. Basically the first 20 miles or so from Stratford to Richmond park is downhill so you can absolutely blast it.
duke

Post by duke »

TFC1 wrote:
The Ginger Jedi wrote:Anyone done the Ride London 100? Any tips? Distance isn't a problem and the profile doesn't look too challenging (compared to Cornwall). I suppose my biggest concern is sharing the roads with so many people although I do have a nice early start time (06:20). What time is it light in London at the moment?
Thanks in advance.
I have done it twice. It is the easiest 100 miles you will ever do. closed roads, a bit of drafting off others etc and it is great to have perople cheering you on all the way.

My average speed for 100 miles would normally be around 16mph but found I did 19mph on that ride. Basically the first 20 miles or so from Stratford to Richmond park is downhill so you can absolutely blast it.
As for TFC1, I have done it a couple of times, once in the monsoon (2014?) when they chopped out Leith and Box Hills - can add a good couple of mph to your average for the closed roads, can get a bit congested on Leith Hill but with an early start you should be ok. Do get some absolute prats doing it who are a menace on the descents.

Main problem may be the heat later on in the day but with your start time you should be ok.

Will be light before you start but may be a little gloomy getting to the start - where are you staying?
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

Thanks in advance.
early start is best.

be prepared for lots of choppers on the road.

If you are lucky you can get into a decent group and you will motor around.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Leffe wrote:Am knocking in the 120km rides now, including Het Kopje the biggest hill in Holland and 60 mps through the dunes. I get about 750m vertical which is good in the flat lands.

Back on power bars and gels to stop the bonus, epic levels of post ride gas, the missus is not that impressed :lol:
Gels usually do a number on my stomach. Rarely would take them on a regular ride, usually keep them for sportives. After the last one I had to hobble to the portaloo as soon as I had collected my medal x( Recently discovered malt loaf which I had read about but could never find in the shops here. Brilliant stuff, really makes a nice change from dry granola bars or warm and squashed ham sandwiches for me.

Good progress :thumbup: Finding it kind of hard to get the time to get out myself. And I think I'm suffering that mid-summer cycling fatigue, the motivation has fallen off a bit particularly for the midweek rides. Have a 160km sportive over on the west coast of Ireland this week which I'm looking forward to though.
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

Bullettyme wrote:
Leffe wrote:Am knocking in the 120km rides now, including Het Kopje the biggest hill in Holland and 60 kms through the dunes. I get about 750m vertical which is good in the flat lands.

Gels usually do a number on my stomach. Rarely would take them on a regular ride, usually keep them for sportives. After the last one I had to hobble to the portaloo as soon as I had collected my medal x( Recently discovered malt loaf which I had read about but could never find in the shops here. Brilliant stuff, really makes a nice change from dry granola bars or warm and squashed ham sandwiches for me.

Good progress :thumbup: Finding it kind of hard to get the time to get out myself. And I think I'm suffering that mid-summer cycling fatigue, the motivation has fallen off a bit particularly for the midweek rides. Have a 160km sportive over on the west coast of Ireland this week which I'm looking forward to though.
I was on Krentenballen (Dutch dried fruit bun) with cheese and salt during the rides but i find them hard to nibble (they're a hassle to get out of a bag when you're pushing on).

I'm working on the advice: 2 of the following per hour

500ml sports drink
1x gel
1x Power bar

It seems to work. I have a good bowl of porridge and a banana before setting off.

160k of the West coast there is a fair old treck!! You'd end up with quite a large vertical at the end surely?
The Ginger Jedi

Post by The Ginger Jedi »

duke wrote:
TFC1 wrote:
Thanks in advance.

As for TFC1, I have done it a couple of times, once in the monsoon (2014?) when they chopped out Leith and Box Hills - can add a good couple of mph to your average for the closed roads, can get a bit congested on Leith Hill but with an early start you should be ok. Do get some absolute prats doing it who are a menace on the descents.

Main problem may be the heat later on in the day but with your start time you should be ok.

Will be light before you start but may be a little gloomy getting to the start - where are you staying?
Thanks for all the advice. Average 17.5 mph doing long distance in Cornwall at about 1000 feet of climbing per hour. Hoping to finish as close to five hours as possible.
Staying AirBNB Isle of Dogs, 20 minute ride to Olympic Park?
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Leffe wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Leffe wrote:Am knocking in the 120km rides now, including Het Kopje the biggest hill in Holland and 60 kms through the dunes. I get about 750m vertical which is good in the flat lands.

I was on Krentenballen (Dutch dried fruit bun) with cheese and salt during the rides but i find them hard to nibble (they're a hassle to get out of a bag when you're pushing on).

500ml sports drink
1x gel
1x Power bar

It seems to work. I have a good bowl of porridge and a banana before setting off.

160k of the West coast there is a fair old treck!! You'd end up with quite a large vertical at the end surely?
I'd usually have a little less than that, I usually work on about 30-60g of carbs an hour. So a bar/gel and some sips of a sports drink every hour usually does me. I always find it a bit easier at sportives as there's food stops where I can stock up. I'll usually have a gel a bit before a climb, or in place of a bar. Took 5 or 6 during my recent 200km ride and really felt the discomfort towards the end.

The vertical isn't that high surprisingly enough, about 1500 which is handy enough. Looks to be quite an undulating route though, with one cat 4 climb at the start (think it's about 220m). Nice for a change of scenery though, just hope we miss the wind and rain :(
nardol

Post by nardol »

Leffe wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

500ml sports drink
1x gel
1x Power bar

Mother of god - Krentenbollen
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

Bullettyme wrote:
Leffe wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

500ml sports drink
1x gel
1x Power bar

I'd usually have a little less than that, I usually work on about 30-60g of carbs an hour. So a bar/gel and some sips of a sports drink every hour usually does me. I always find it a bit easier at sportives as there's food stops where I can stock up. I'll usually have a gel a bit before a climb, or in place of a bar. Took 5 or 6 during my recent 200km ride and really felt the discomfort towards the end.

The vertical isn't that high surprisingly enough, about 1500 which is handy enough. Looks to be quite an undulating route though, with one cat 4 climb at the start (think it's about 220m). Nice for a change of scenery though, just hope we miss the wind and rain :(
I'm a bit lazy to look at labels and stuff :lol: plus I like to ride at high efforts (once warm 88-93% MHR), so so long as my stomach doesn't complain on the ride, I tend to try to eat / drink it. Drinking seems my main problem atm.

I thought you'd get more vertical over there; lovely part of Ireland, so you won't be bored with the scenery! These long distances aren't for me any longer, 120 is my max I reckon, with normal rides being 60 & 85. I'm doing the 120's just because the sun is shining and I love being out in the sun.
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

nardol wrote:
Leffe wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

500ml sports drink
1x gel
1x Power bar

Mother of god - Krentenbollen
Getting one letter wrong is the very least of my learning Dutch problems :lol:
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

For anything over 4 hours I start to use Clif bars, bananas and High 5 4:1. A bit of fibre and protein seems to stave off the intestinal revolt. The last year of the Giro sportive out of Belfast, they saved themselves money on the food stops and all that was left was caffeine gels. People were shitting in the fields along the side of the road :lol:
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:For anything over 4 hours I start to use Clif bars, bananas and High 5 4:1. A bit of fibre and protein seems to stave off the intestinal revolt. The last year of the Giro sportive out of Belfast, they saved themselves money on the food stops and all that was left was caffeine gels. People were shitting in the fields along the side of the road :lol:
:? x( That's nasty!
duke

Post by duke »

The Ginger Jedi wrote:
duke wrote:
TFC1 wrote:
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the advice. Average 17.5 mph doing long distance in Cornwall at about 1000 feet of climbing per hour. Hoping to finish as close to five hours as possible.
Staying AirBNB Isle of Dogs, 20 minute ride to Olympic Park?
I would think you'll be on for about 5 hours - climbing is about 4,400 ft total and nothing horrendously steep, reasonable quality roads most of the way round. 20 minute ride from Isle of Dogs sounds about right although it depends which roads they close around the Olympic Park.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:For anything over 4 hours I start to use Clif bars, bananas and High 5 4:1. A bit of fibre and protein seems to stave off the intestinal revolt. The last year of the Giro sportive out of Belfast, they saved themselves money on the food stops and all that was left was caffeine gels. People were shitting in the fields along the side of the road :lol:
Waste of money. Slices of Soreen with honey spread in between.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

BlackMac wrote:
Waste of money. Slices of Soreen with honey spread in between.
If you're only using them for big rides its not that much of an expense for non-Scots. Also Clifs are actually crushed to make them compact, and individually wrapped which makes them easy to reach for out of a jersey pocket when you're hanging on a bit. It depends how hard you're going to ride obviously.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Personally, I have stopped using energy drinks and electrolyte tabs. I tend to have water and salt stick or salt tabs.

Torq gels are the winner for fuel gel wise, but you can't beat a banana IMO

Edit: you need to train the body to use gels, picking up an untried one at an aid station is asking for trouble