The official cycling thread

All things Rugby
DOB

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by DOB »

100k on those roads is a solid ride no matter who you are. I miss the Wicklow roads, I've made sure to get a ride to Enniskerry in on my last 2 trips home. I need to make sure to get home during summer and venture a bit further afield on my next visit.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Oh my legs today :lol:

Muscle ache is such a satisfying feeling.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Fair play, nice route. Wicklow mountains are really a fantastic day out, there's so many different approaches and roads so you've always got something to work with.
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

Got back from the Dolomites and also fit in 3 days in teh Black Forest. Managed climbing rides of 1.5k, 1.6K, 1.6k, 0.6k & 2k so pretty happy. Had to ditch my bike after a wasp (I assume) got stuck between my glasses and eye lid on an 8% decent, over the bars I went but no damage.... pride excepting :lol:
nardol

Post by nardol »

Nice one scrummie!

Keep up the efforts.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Fair play to you lads on your excursions, sounds like great trips both.

Scrummie, sounds like it might be age :lol: but I found that working on core and lower back in the gym usually helps. Doesn't sound like an option for you at the moment so I'd say just try to stretch as much as possible.

Was in Canada for the last couple of weeks, had a bike rented but the day I was due to go out the weather was miserable so I just thought "I'm on holidays, am I really going to cycle in grey, rainy skies and 29km/h winds?" so I cancelled it without a fee which was pretty sound. The downside is that I've probably dropped out of fitness somewhat and haven't cycled much in the last month. Need to start cranking some Kms out.
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

I'd say get some stretching in. Try to have an understanding of your normal flexibility, specifically hamstrings, calves and lower back. I test by straight legs and hang to touch my toes, the further away I am, the indicator starts that I'm not properly stretching.

Climbing will put you under considerably more tension though - that's why it's good ! :nod:
DOB

Post by DOB »

Mysterious B.B. creaks are the worst. Best I can say is make sure to check everything else around the bike (moving parts like hubs, headset, chain, pedals, and also static parts like your seat post, handlebar stem) and verify that everything is greased/oiled correctly and properly tightened. Then, and only then, consider opening up your B.B. and regreasing that. Some sounds can seem like they’re coming from the B.B., but can actually be something else entirely.

Bullet, if you’re that worried about losing fitness you’ve gained, either find a local spin class, or just go out another day and brave the conditions. I’ve always found a good runout on arrival is a good way to push through jet lag, so maybe get on the road as soon as you land.

Also, I get back aches when towing the kids trailer more than half an hour at a time. But not when climbing, funnily enough. It’s probably just a function of the extra strain. Your body will get used to it over time. As said, core work in the gym will help you be more prepared.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

DOB wrote:Bullet, if you’re that worried about losing fitness you’ve gained, either find a local spin class, or just go out another day and brave the conditions. I’ve always found a good runout on arrival is a good way to push through jet lag, so maybe get on the road as soon as you land.
Ah I'm not to hassled here in Ireland going for a spin, at least for the next two months when the weather is still cooperative and the evenings are long enough. More that I spent the last month drinking and eat while vacationing and shrugging off chances to cycle. Bit of a waste considering the autumn has barely set in! Spin classes for the winter will be done I reckon for the midweeks, along with a couple of weekend rides.
DOB

Post by DOB »

You think your spins are tough; Larry Warbasse and Conor Dunne, freshly unemployed by the folding of Aqua Blue Sport, have decided to go on a week long bikepacking trip. On gravel roads in the Dolomites.

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/larry-cono ... h-a-tonne/
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

I love following both Larry and Conor on instagram, usually fantastic photos and very engaging. If you haven't I'd definitely suggest it. Their current trip looks insane, they're on Col 8 or something now, and some of the banter is pretty funny. I hope both of them find good homes, bit of publicity definitely helps too.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Scrummie wrote:A bit of advice please.

When applying pressure going uphill I’m starting to get a groaning/creaking sound from the right hand side of the bottom bracket on the down stroke of the pedal. Ease up on the pressure and it goes away.

Lots of stray dogs that like to chase around here so I’m having to use up my water to spray at them which seems to do the trick. Worried about the one that doesn’t bark and takes me by surprise.

Second morning of climbing today and I’ve started to get a slight ache in the back? Technique or age?
Bottom Bracket - if it's an external BB it's easy (if you have the right tool) to tighten the cup, remember the threads are opposite for each side. If it's an internal BB (BB30, etc.) it's more involved and unless you can actually feel movement in the crank, I'd leave it until you get home. The good news is that BB's typically creak for a while before anything terminal happens.

Back Ache - this is caused by your back/core having to counteract/stabilize the effect of pushing hard on the pedals at a lower cadence, it's pretty normal to get lower back pain if you don't do much serious climbing and don't include core strengthening work as part of you regular training (daily plank, etc.). Yes stretching will help to a point, but the problem is a weak core.

Enjoy your riding vacation :thumbup:
DOB

Post by DOB »

If you just do a plank a day, and see how long you can hold it for, (10 seconds, 30 seconds, whatever) it’ll improve your core stability. And it’s really stability that you’re after, rather than strength. You don’t have to be able to power lift, just to hold your shoulders and upper body steady as your spinning/pumping/mashing your legs around the pedals.

The more you ride, the more your spine and tummy muscles will get used to thi, but you can accelerate the process with some exercises if you can fit them into your busy schedule.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

DOB wrote:Mysterious B.B. creaks are the worst. Best I can say is make sure to check everything else around the bike (moving parts like hubs, headset, chain, pedals, and also static parts like your seat post, handlebar stem) and verify that everything is greased/oiled correctly and properly tightened. Then, and only then, consider opening up your B.B. and regreasing that. Some sounds can seem like they’re coming from the B.B., but can actually be something else entirely.

Bullet, if you’re that worried about losing fitness you’ve gained, either find a local spin class, or just go out another day and brave the conditions. I’ve always found a good runout on arrival is a good way to push through jet lag, so maybe get on the road as soon as you land.

Also, I get back aches when towing the kids trailer more than half an hour at a time. But not when climbing, funnily enough. It’s probably just a function of the extra strain. Your body will get used to it over time. As said, core work in the gym will help you be more prepared.

Huge agreement with this advice. The downward pedal stroke transfers force throughout the frame and it is often something far more simple.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

pedals and seatposts are often rouge bb impersonators...
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Scrummie wrote:
Let’s be realistic here for a moment I’m 56 and my core is probably as strong as it’s going to get.
Unless you currently do some regular core specific exercise I doubt it. A strong core has multiple benefit in day-to-day life, not just cycling. I highly recommend it.

I'm 56 as well and it's a important part of my overall training routine. Give it a go, you might be surprised.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

not Italian but I always took it to mean i am passing...
mikerob

Post by mikerob »

Not Italian either but I've cycled there and always took a beep to mean that the driver was letting you know they were behind and was going to pass.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

mikerob wrote:Not Italian either but I've cycled there and always took a beep to mean that the driver was letting you know they were behind and was going to pass.
This, it's a courtesy/warning thing
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Just back from 6 days cycling in Bavaria. Well, 6 days drinking with bike rides between pubs. Kaufbeuren - Lindau - Fussen - Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Rosenheim - Munich Airport (cycle path direct in to the terminal which helps)

I have never cycled on better roads anywhere. Ever. Think I'll be going back.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Scrummie wrote:
dinsdale wrote:Just back from 6 days cycling in Bavaria. Well, 6 days drinking with bike rides between pubs. Kaufbeuren - Lindau - Fussen - Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Rosenheim - Munich Airport (cycle path direct in to the terminal which helps)

How much to transport the bike?

Very jealous about the roads you’ve ridden. Even some of the nice roads here are very grippy.

Just reading about the ‘ndrangheta here in Calabria :uhoh: not pleasant reading.
Free with BA but you have to keep the bike+bag under 23kg which requires being careful. Storage for bike bags at Munich was 10EUR per day and we managed to fit one bag inside the other.

Below is a typical bike path. Often at least as well surfaced as the roads which are like billiard tables compared with the UK
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Scrummie wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
Scrummie wrote:
dinsdale wrote:Just back from 6 days cycling in Bavaria. Well, 6 days drinking with bike rides between pubs. Kaufbeuren - Lindau - Fussen - Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Rosenheim - Munich Airport (cycle path direct in to the terminal which helps)

How much to transport the bike?

Very jealous about the roads you’ve ridden. Even some of the nice roads here are very grippy.

Just reading about the ‘ndrangheta here in Calabria :uhoh: not pleasant reading.
Free with BA but you have to keep the bike+bag under 23kg which requires being careful. Storage for bike bags at Munich was 10EUR per day and we managed to fit one bag inside the other.

Below is a typical bike path. Often at least as well surfaced as the roads which are like billiard tables compared with the UK

And there are miles and miles of these bike paths?
Yes. You are expected to use them if present. This is seldom a hardship due to the usually excellent quality.
DOB

Post by DOB »

How was the terrain there? Uppy-downy, or flattish? I notice your pic is flat but there’s lumps in the background.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

DOB wrote:How was the terrain there? Uppy-downy, or flattish? I notice your pic is flat but there’s lumps in the background.
Mostly rolling as this was a loaded cycle tour we were avoiding any serious cols by going much further south. You could consider this terrain the foothills of the alps. Typical day was about 100K and ~1000m climbing.

Day 1 - not the toughest day but typical.
Homer

Post by Homer »

This is pretty shit. Obviously a very tough cookie, but amazing that accidents like this can happen.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 27200.html
DOB

Post by DOB »

DC Rainmaker has his annual free schwag giveaway on right now if anyone’s interested. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/09/giv ... nt-2977653

The “Napa 9” was on yesterday, 125 miles up 9 of the toughest climbs in the valley. 12-12.5k vertical depending on whose Strava you believe. I tagged along for numbers 2 and 3 and my legs are like jelly today. I’ve done all these hills before multiple times each, but never more than 2 in one day.

Tragic about Vogel, but she seems to have the right attitude. It’s one of those “how can we make the sport safer? Ummmm, tell them not to crash..?” type of accidents. Hope she can have some sort of normal life.

I always unclip with the left, in a RHD country, as I’m very right footed. I think it’s just a case of habitual awareness of where the traffic is, rather than your foot leading you astray.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

I unclip with both, and after cycling home today I noticed I had unclipped on my right hand side a number of times. Based on what you're saying above I should probably go with the left, although I don't feel it's put me into traffic all that much.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Bullettyme wrote:I unclip with both, and after cycling home today I noticed I had unclipped on my right hand side a number of times. Based on what you're saying above I should probably go with the left, although I don't feel it's put me into traffic all that much.
I don't notice any swerve either. Scrummie, have you got the clips set too tight?
mikerob

Post by mikerob »

I always unclip with left even in RHD countries. It wouldn’t be one of those footedness things like regular or goofy on a snowboard? (I’m regular so lead with left foot)
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

Having fallen off siteways I don't fudge around changing what side I clip out according to the country I'm in... I clip out and have yet to swerve into traffic as a result.

Noticed a massive gash in my Schwalbe Evo One rear tire on Sat, there's e50 gone :(.

Sat I did 50km on my MTB (30 road, 20 single track), only the 3rd time this year on MTB and I am missing a world of power. I also noticed that I'm the only 26er left in town :( . Then switched bikes and did 60km with the missus on the road. The hurt was epic with 20k remaining; my left leg was all cramping in the Quads. The missus dragged my sorry arse home, I was very grateful to her dealing with the Dutch wind for me.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Always unclip my right foot and always have. Being in the UK it means that I am unclipping on the traffic side so I feel that if I get it wrong I am more likely to fall the other way away from traffic.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

happyhooker wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:I unclip with both, and after cycling home today I noticed I had unclipped on my right hand side a number of times. Based on what you're saying above I should probably go with the left, although I don't feel it's put me into traffic all that much.
I don't notice any swerve either. Scrummie, have you got the clips set too tight?
I assumed he meant leaning into traffic when stopped but now you've clarified it. Surely you shouldn't be swerving out that much if you're unclipping? I never notice a swerve.
Womack

Post by Womack »

I've just started up commuting into town again after about 6 years (had to stop when I moved jobs out of London). Feel slightly like Brooks from the Shawshank Redemption - "The world went and got itself in a big damned hurry" - the roads seem busier than ever. Cyclist behaviour hasn't changed much though, lots of shoaling at lights and people getting eggy and speeding up if you overtake them. Yesterday I went the direct way which involved the joys of Elephant & Castle, Westminster Bridge and Parliament Square, and I found it very slow and frustrating, not to mention unpleasant with the fumes. So today I went my old route through Deptford and Bermondsey, across Tower Bridge then onto the nice new segregated lane all the way to Northumberland Avenue. Much more pleasant route but the bike lane is slightly disconcerting as it's not really wide enough for comfortable overtaking - so I think I'll have to just accept it'll be a 'fast pootle' along there, and there's not much point overtaking anyone going say 1-2 mph slower as it just leads to needless and risky pace. Another thing I found is that shoaling is particularly aggravating when it happens on the bike lane. :x

Anyway, glad to be back at it, will do 2-3 days a week so it doesn't become too much of a slog - I still want to have a bit of energy for MTBing. Re unclipping, having not been on the road bike much for a couple of years, I'm rubbish at clipping in at the moment, so that has been annoying me at every set of lights. I'll soon get the hang of it again. I unclip on the left but I remember now that when I commuted regularly before I did start consciously unclipping on both sides, to reduce the wear on my left cleat - think I'll start doing that again.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Bullettyme wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
I assumed he meant leaning into traffic when stopped but now you've clarified it. Surely you shouldn't be swerving out that much if you're unclipping? I never notice a swerve.
The swerve probably had more to do with the flatbed lorry bearing down on him!
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Scrummie wrote:
Womack wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
The swerve probably had more to do with the flatbed lorry bearing down on him!
I was overtaken on a roundabout and had nowhere to go when I came to a halt. By unclipping on the left I naturally leant to the left which put me nearer the flatbed of the truck. If I’d unclipped on the right that would have taken me away from the truck and into the ‘safety’ of 6 feet high bushes.
Yea, I don't lean when I unclip. Are you sure they're not too tight?
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Ah, I was misunderstanding you. I thought you were talking about a lean/swerve as the pedal came away.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Scrummie wrote:
happyhooker wrote:Ah, I was misunderstanding you. I thought you were talking about a lean/swerve as the pedal came away.
I owe you a couple of beers HH.

Discovered the adjusting screw, did some adjustments, test ride round the complex and can now unclip like a pro instead of dislocating the ankle every time I unclip :blush:

This will make a massive improvement both physically and mentally to my riding

Thank you
No worries
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Scrummie wrote:Climbing again today but struggled due to the heat as I didn’t go out until midday :shock: . Got to the summit in a tad over normal time so not too bad.

Has anyone got a way of letting me know what the percentages are on a given route?

Starting point is Parghelia finishing at Zaccanopoli (Calabria, Vibo Valantino).
Best I can do

dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Scrummie wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
Scrummie wrote:Climbing again today but struggled due to the heat as I didn’t go out until midday :shock: . Got to the summit in a tad over normal time so not too bad.

Has anyone got a way of letting me know what the percentages are on a given route?

Starting point is Parghelia finishing at Zaccanopoli (Calabria, Vibo Valantino).
Best I can do

Thanks Dinsdale. Does a combination of the distance and the metres climbed give you the percentage incline?
Yes, pretty much. So (342/5500)*100 = 6.2% avg. There are decent sections close to 10% though.
Seez

Post by Seez »

There's a Strava segment for the first half, which you can view in Veloviewer (which reckons it averages 9.4% and hits 26%):

https://veloviewer.com/segments/13282086

Strava will also show you gradient if you mouseover the elevation chart but it never seems very accurate to me:

https://www.strava.com/segments/13282086

The second half doesn't have a segment yet, but you could create one yourself if you uploaded your ride into Strava. After that, take the segment Id and replace the last part of the Veloviewer URL above with it.

I found the segment using the Strava segment explorer, well worth having a look at if you are exploring somewhere new with your bike:

https://www.strava.com/segments/explore