The official cycling thread

All things Rugby
Spyglass

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Spyglass »

Bullettyme wrote:How's the winter going for everyone (in the NH)?

Had the day off today so went up the mountains. Got perfect conditions; not too cold, no wind, bright and no rain. But my condition was the most questionable, amazing g how a few weeks really affects you. Still getting some decent winter KMs in on the commute, and the odd Saturday or Sunday if the conditions are right (yeah yeah I'm fairweather).

Over 5000km for the year, hoping to get as close to 6000km as possible in the last few weeks of the year.
Living in Houston the winter is great for me, we have a few more rain interruptions than the summer, but otherwise it's good riding weather. I'm currently at 7,800 miles for the year, I'll probably end the year with 8,300+ miles if the weather cooperates over the Christmas break.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Had the day off today so went up the mountains. Got perfect conditions; not too cold, no wind, bright and no rain. But my condition was the most questionable, amazing g how a few weeks really affects you. Still getting some decent winter KMs in on the commute, and the odd Saturday or Sunday if the conditions are right (yeah yeah I'm fairweather).

Over 5000km for the year, hoping to get as close to 6000km as possible in the last few weeks of the year.
I've just bought a Turbo trainer for the first time to try and retain some fitness over winter. I really can't see another way despite how tedious they are. I'll give Zwift a try.

Just back from 1 month cycling in Vietnam, Lao & Thailand. Some pretty tough days as there's plenty of hilly terrain however the 1500km covered means I'm going to end up just short of 5000km for the year (unless you include cycling round town and to the pub/rugby) but will be close.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Weather's not really an obstacle to riding right now, though the fires would have been. It's more an issue of time not being my own at the moment with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way. So I just get to look at bikes online and dream about rides I'd love to... HOLY SHIT THERE'S A NEW LEGO MOUNTAIN BIKE!!! I MUST HAVE IT!!! WHERE CAN I GET ONE?
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Someone's just uploaded an old bicycle guide to Gutenberg with the ultimate in hipster fixies (can't believe I haven't seen modern versions of these!)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58444

Edit: seems I can’t link pics... chainless bikes and other old school specs here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/58444/58 ... 8444-h.htm
Last edited by Nieghorn on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

Have now converted to MTG, so getting a good spin every Sat still. Single spinning class sun and a double spinning on Wed. We'll this is the plan...

Here are a couple of NL MTB single track courses that I go to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLRtZ6IkJjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YsVQjSb1-w
Last edited by Leffe on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ginger Jedi

Post by The Ginger Jedi »

Trapped femoral nerve has meant I haven't been on the bike for a month, really painful. Weight starting to go up which is never ideal.
Applying for VIP spot on the London 100, that will be my main target for next year and cracking <5 hours. The weather put pay to that this year.
duke

Post by duke »

Way down on my goal for the year having done about 2,000 miles.

Bucket list target is to do LEJOG next July with 2 good friends which means some serious training in the new year.

Given the current state of the roads round here, seriously contemplating a gravel bike as N+1.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

DOB wrote:Weather's not really an obstacle to riding right now, though the fires would have been. It's more an issue of time not being my own at the moment with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way. So I just get to look at bikes online and dream about rides I'd love to... HOLY SHIT THERE'S A NEW LEGO MOUNTAIN BIKE!!! I MUST HAVE IT!!! WHERE CAN I GET ONE?
Congrats DOB, another one in the trailer will definitely maximise the fitness gainz!
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

Nieghorn wrote:Someone's just uploaded an old bicycle guide to Gutenberg with the ultimate in hipster fixies (can't believe I haven't seen modern versions of these!)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58444

Edit: seems I can’t link pics... chainless bikes and other old school specs here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/58444/58 ... 8444-h.htm
They were actually not displaying, then they were - odd.

The drive shaft one you see in the NL, apparently they're very good but they are entirely enclosed.

There's a big scene here for bikes that look like these old designs, low swung bars and big springs on the saddles.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Have just been commuting most days, 23 mile round trip. Very flat and stop start, OK for maintaining a bare minimum fitness but I've still been piling on a bit of weight. Will look to get out on the MTB at least once a week in addition to the commute once Xmas is out of the way. Milage this year won't be a high, but will have been boosted by the last few months of commuting.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Came a cropper this morning again. Waiting for a red light to turn green and a delivery van cut the corner and hit me square on. I was completely stationary. Absolutely terrifying but no damage to the bike, but some bruises. He said it was my fault, suppose I was quite far forward but I don't think it was particularly hard to see me and not crash into me. Maybe my bike is cursed? Two accidents this year.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Bullettyme wrote:Came a cropper this morning again. Waiting for a red light to turn green and a delivery van cut the corner and hit me square on. I was completely stationary. Absolutely terrifying but no damage to the bike, but some bruises. He said it was my fault, suppose I was quite far forward but I don't think it was particularly hard to see me and not crash into me. Maybe my bike is cursed? Two accidents this year.
Did you bother reporting it? If he has cut the corner it is his fault regardless of where you are, particularly if you are stationary. Assuming its urban then its likely to be on CCTV.

People that drive for a living should be held to a much higher standard than everyone else as well IMO
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Gonna go to the police on my lunch break and report him I think. Have his details. I've also fired off an email to his work. Should be CCTV in the area, urban with a few business around. His attitude was pretty bad too, shouting at me while I was on the ground and hobbling over to the side of the road.
Womack

Post by Womack »

fudge's sake, so you were stationary, he drove into you and somehow it's your fault? Unbelievable attitude, defo report him to the police although I wouldn't expect much to come of it.

I had a spill myself the other week, pulled out into the middle of the lane to take primary at a spot where left hooks are common, the car in front (Prius with minicab license sticker, Uber central) was acting a bit weird but I thought it was cos he was going to turn left at the last minute - instead he suddenly does what amounted to an emergency stop in the middle of the lane. I was around 5 metres back doing around 20mph, wet day, rim brakes, 18 stone of rider - no chance. Swerved to try and get round the left of him but couldn't avoid his rear-left corner. Put my right arm up to fend him off, lost control and wheels washed out underneath me. Went down hard on my right elbow, bit of a scrape to the legs but was basically OK. Bike was fine. I was most worried my bibs would be embarrassingly/indecently torn in the arse area, but they were OK. Later realised the buckle on my right shoe was half torn off, the only real damage caused.

The reason he stopped is because someone was waiting on a traffic island to cross the road, he must have been half debating whether to let them across and decided last minute to do so. As I say, I could tell he was going to do something weird, but because it's such a common spot for left hooking, that's what I was expecting and had positioned myself accordingly - the sudden stop came as a complete surprise. Ah well, you live and learn. He started to drive off again, stopped about 30 metres down the road, heard me shouting expletives, and promptly sodded off again. Didn't get his reg, but probably wouldn't have done anything even if I had.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

He said I was too far forward, and so him failing to see me and crash right into me was my fault. I made a report with the gardai anyway, let's see if anything comes of it.

Edit: that sounds scary Womack, glad there was no serious injuries and/or arsecracks on show. It's funny how you can always spot those weird drivers who are about to do something mad, just not always the mad action they're going to take!
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Womack wrote:fudge's sake, so you were stationary, he drove into you and somehow it's your fault? Unbelievable attitude, defo report him to the police although I wouldn't expect much to come of it.

I had a spill myself the other week, pulled out into the middle of the lane to take primary at a spot where left hooks are common, the car in front (Prius with minicab license sticker, Uber central) was acting a bit weird but I thought it was cos he was going to turn left at the last minute - instead he suddenly does what amounted to an emergency stop in the middle of the lane. I was around 5 metres back doing around 20mph, wet day, rim brakes, 18 stone of rider - no chance. Swerved to try and get round the left of him but couldn't avoid his rear-left corner. Put my right arm up to fend him off, lost control and wheels washed out underneath me. Went down hard on my right elbow, bit of a scrape to the legs but was basically OK. Bike was fine. I was most worried my bibs would be embarrassingly/indecently torn in the arse area, but they were OK. Later realised the buckle on my right shoe was half torn off, the only real damage caused.

The reason he stopped is because someone was waiting on a traffic island to cross the road, he must have been half debating whether to let them across and decided last minute to do so. As I say, I could tell he was going to do something weird, but because it's such a common spot for left hooking, that's what I was expecting and had positioned myself accordingly - the sudden stop came as a complete surprise. Ah well, you live and learn. He started to drive off again, stopped about 30 metres down the road, heard me shouting expletives, and promptly sodded off again. Didn't get his reg, but probably wouldn't have done anything even if I had.
If you run into the back of another vehicle, is that not deemed your fault?
Womack

Post by Womack »

Probably. In hindsight I know my positioning/anticipation was poor. As I say it was just very unexpected as my spidey sense was telling me he was going to do something weird but it was in a spot where the weird thing that people very often do is turn left without warning. That lulled me into a false sense that I knew what he was going to do, so when he suddenly anchored up it was doubly surprising.

I could argue that suddenly stopping to let someone across the road is an unnecessarily risky manoeuvre, but hey ho - no real harm was done, I only hit him with my arm and didn't damage him, the only casualty was my cycling shoe.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Bullettyme wrote:He said I was too far forward, and so him failing to see me and crash right into me was my fault. I made a report with the gardai anyway, let's see if anything comes of it.

Edit: that sounds scary Womack, glad there was no serious injuries and/or arsecracks on show. It's funny how you can always spot those weird drivers who are about to do something mad, just not always the mad action they're going to take!
Thats balls, you could have been any obstruction (pedestrian, another car, parade of elephants) that was on the road before he started his turn. He has to avoid colliding with you.

I've hit a car from behind when on the bike too Womack, sometimes in the wet on a bike you just cannot stop regardless of how careful you are being (whilst still making forward progress of course)
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

blindcider wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:He said I was too far forward, and so him failing to see me and crash right into me was my fault. I made a report with the gardai anyway, let's see if anything comes of it.

Thats balls, you could have been any obstruction (pedestrian, another car, parade of elephants) that was on the road before he started his turn. He has to avoid colliding with you.

I've hit a car from behind when on the bike too Womack, sometimes in the wet on a bike you just cannot stop regardless of how careful you are being (whilst still making forward progress of course)
Perhaps the driver has fixed-focus eyesight. Like those cheap disposable cameras.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Bullettyme wrote:Came a cropper this morning again. Waiting for a red light to turn green and a delivery van cut the corner and hit me square on. I was completely stationary. Absolutely terrifying but no damage to the bike, but some bruises. He said it was my fault, suppose I was quite far forward but I don't think it was particularly hard to see me and not crash into me. Maybe my bike is cursed? Two accidents this year.
I don't know how you guys do cycle commuting, especially in the dark and wet winter, with rush hour traffic. I thought dodging rednecks and pick ups in Texas was bad, but I think I'd take it over your commuting. Be careful out there.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Spyglass wrote:
I don't know how you guys do cycle commuting, especially in the dark and wet winter, with rush hour traffic. I thought dodging rednecks and pick ups in Texas was bad, but I think I'd take it over your commuting. Be careful out there.
I don't know Irish commuting, but I have found British commuting by bike to be pretty safe. If you cycle defensively (road position, speed, awareness, etc.) and realise that everyone else is trying to get where they can as quickly as possible and likely to make snap decisions like turning or changing lanes without signalling/looking or letting people turn across them without checking their mirrors. Slow moving traffic is pretty safe to deal with comparatively.

The worst conditions in the dark are busy and fast because drivers come up on you without having had much chance to see you.

Generally most people will give you enough room here, but there are enough who won't to keep you guessing. Its more inattention and an inability to think/plan ahead rather than deliberate though. The common one is being squeezed as they push past with oncoming traffic or being passed and then they get as close to the kerb as they can to block you filtering (white van special).
DOB

Post by DOB »

Spyglass wrote:
Drivers are bad everywhere. I've been knocked off commuting in summer And winter in Dublin, evening riding in Red neck parts of CA, going home from rugby training in all sorts of places. Just the other week i had some Santa Claus looking fella come round a left turn when I was in a crosswalk and run over the front wheel of the jogging stroller, with the twins inside. A foot to the right and he would 've done serious damage. As it was, the banged up front wheel was the only problem.

Avoid them when possible, he excessively visible otherwise.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

DOB wrote:
Spyglass wrote:
Drivers are bad everywhere. I've been knocked off commuting in summer And winter in Dublin, evening riding in Red neck parts of CA, going home from rugby training in all sorts of places. Just the other week i had some Santa Claus looking fella come round a left turn when I was in a crosswalk and run over the front wheel of the jogging stroller, with the twins inside. A foot to the right and he would 've done serious damage. As it was, the banged up front wheel was the only problem.

Avoid them when possible, he excessively visible otherwise.
Agree on the visible, the current "fashion" to wear black kit blows me away, even with front and rear blinkies you're compromising your visibility. Fortunately our club kit is white/blue and stands out pretty well.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Most of my kit is black :blush: I do have white shoes though and at night I'll put a white gillet over my jacket when cycling home from work.

I think Irish drivers are known to be pretty bad, but as blindsider says the commute brings extra dangers as people are rushing to work or distracted. I commute 35km round trip to I suppose the chances of being involved in an accident increase, particularly as the routes are heavily trafficked (city centre along some main arterial routes and through some industrial areas). On the way home you'd get impatient people rapidly switching lanes, and my pet peeve is the fuckers who try to squash you against the kerb (usually the white van pricksh. Yesterday was a bit of a freak one, about 500m from work and stationary, perhaps thinking of the shower and food I was going to have.

I didn't cycle in today as I left my bike in the office, will cycle it home tonight. The difference in how I feel after a cycle vs getting public transpo or driving is incomparable, so I'm not put off.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Whatever other ups and downs there are to cycle commuting, it's definitely the quickest mode of transport during rush hour within the Dublin city limits, unless you live and work right next to the LUAS.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

DOB wrote:Whatever other ups and downs there are to cycle commuting, it's definitely the quickest mode of transport during rush hour within the Dublin city limits, unless you live and work right next to the LUAS.
Agree on the Dublin traffic, I visit Dun Laoghaire a couple of times a year and if you time your journey to/from the airport near the commute time it's a nightmare.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Spyglass wrote:
DOB wrote:Whatever other ups and downs there are to cycle commuting, it's definitely the quickest mode of transport during rush hour within the Dublin city limits, unless you live and work right next to the LUAS.
Agree on the Dublin traffic, I visit Dun Laoghaire a couple of times a year and if you time your journey to/from the airport near the commute time it's a nightmare.
I just did a quick google maps check. If I wanted to leave my parents’ house in Rathmines to be in the airport at 9am tomorrow, I’d have to leave at 7.50 to drive the 16km (or 30+ km via the M50). Or 8.05 to cycle it. And that’s with long stretches of motorway north of Santry.

It’s a comparatively small city, that’s just ill-equipped to handle high volumes of private car traffic.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Definitely. Google Maps kind of underestimated speed for cycling, but for me getting from my home in Clontarf to my work in Tallaght takes between 40-50mins depending on the form, weather and obstacles. To get the bus and Luas it takes almost double that, and to drive would take probably 1 hour+. Now I don't cycle in every day because I might have meetings or something to do after work or the weather might be a bit extreme, but it's a no brainer really. Plus racks up the winter KMs and after a shower you feel fresh getting to your desk and energised.

Even my previous job, only 4km away was 9-10 mins on the bike, or 30+ mins bussing. Driving was still pushing 30mins too.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

That sounds worse than London.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Womack wrote:Prius with minicab license sticker, Uber central
There's your problem.......utterly clueless drivers. :thumbdown:
DOB

Post by DOB »

happyhooker wrote:That sounds worse than London.
It is and isn't. It's an order of magnitude smaller in terms of population and distance, so at least the bike option is there for just about everyone. But there's no underground train whisking half the commuters to and fro unseen. But the base problem is the same; a city built with narrow horse-and-cart roads still struggling in 2018 to cope with late-20th century auto traffic.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Bullettyme wrote:Definitely. Google Maps kind of underestimated speed for cycling, but for me getting from my home in Clontarf to my work in Tallaght takes between 40-50mins depending on the form, weather and obstacles. To get the bus and Luas it takes almost double that, and to drive would take probably 1 hour+. Now I don't cycle in every day because I might have meetings or something to do after work or the weather might be a bit extreme, but it's a no brainer really. Plus racks up the winter KMs and after a shower you feel fresh getting to your desk and energised.

Even my previous job, only 4km away was 9-10 mins on the bike, or 30+ mins bussing. Driving was still pushing 30mins too.
YES YES and so much YES that bike is quickest mode within M50 ... and a tad outside it
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

nardol wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:Definitely. Google Maps kind of underestimated speed for cycling, but for me getting from my home in Clontarf to my work in Tallaght takes between 40-50mins depending on the form, weather and obstacles. To get the bus and Luas it takes almost double that, and to drive would take probably 1 hour+. Now I don't cycle in every day because I might have meetings or something to do after work or the weather might be a bit extreme, but it's a no brainer really. Plus racks up the winter KMs and after a shower you feel fresh getting to your desk and energised.

YES YES and so much YES that bike is quickest mode within M50 ... and a tad outside it
I reckon so too. More and more people seem to be realising it too, even in these winter months.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Can anyone recommend a bike mount for a mobile phone? I've got a Mate 20 Pro which has a 6.4 inch screen and I doubt they'd make a bike mount specific to that model so a universal model would be the most likely.
DOB

Post by DOB »

I’d recommend a pocket?

Amazon shows the Roam Universal as their number 1, but it looks exactly the same as all the other universal mounts out there. I’d seriously suggest going to your LBS; they’ll most likely have something in stock that they know works, and you can put your hands on it and get an idea of how durable it will be.

If you’re mounting your phone on your bars, it’s worth paying extra for something you can rely on, and not something that’ll send your phone flying off into traffic at the first bump in the road.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

The Native wrote:Can anyone recommend a bike mount for a mobile phone? I've got a Mate 20 Pro which has a 6.4 inch screen and I doubt they'd make a bike mount specific to that model so a universal model would be the most likely.
Keep it in your pocket and buy a dedicated cycling computer, there are currently great deals on the superseded Garmin 520
The Native

Post by The Native »

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm not really in the position to blow a couple of hundred on a cycling computer at the moment.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Unless you need the phone screen for much more than speed, time and distance, a regular computer like a Cateye Strada shouldn’t set you back more than $50. You’ll still have the phone on board to stop and check directions or location and track your Strava or whatever. A Cateye Velo won’t cost much more than the bracket for your phone, (less than some brackets) and will tell you speed, distance, average etc.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

The Native wrote:Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm not really in the position to blow a couple of hundred on a cycling computer at the moment.
I use Strava when mountain biking but no way I want my phone on the bar where it will get covered in dirt, dust, mud and would be exposed to damage if I crap off. I don't need to see the screen whilst riding so I just use a frame mounted holder.

But there are models like this where you can see the screen:

https://www.evolutioncycles.co.nz/Produ ... OQQAvD_BwE

I don't need to see the screen so I just use one similar to this:

https://www.evolutioncycles.co.nz/Produ ... -caddy-bag
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

I have two actually (one mounted permanently on the hard tail, the other on the full suspension). This one is better as it has a separate compartment for keys, credit card etc.

I had a model where you could see the screen but my current Samsung phone was too big for it. :x

As I said, I don't need to see the screen whilst riding but it's nice to have it handy for photos, Spotify, Strava and for sending/receiving messages/calls if necessary whilst out on the trails.

https://bbbcycling.com/en_en/bsb-16-toppack