The official cycling thread

All things Rugby
blindcider

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by blindcider »

DOB wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:08 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:53 pm
3. Shoe Covers will cost you no more than $50 and could save you half a minute in 40kms. Shoe covers smooth turbulent air over the straps and buckles of the shoes.
Are these guys for real? Maybe at the very highest levels but for the average cyclist that is laughable
It does say right there in the article;
A couple notes:
– These numbers are calculated for a rider over 40kms at a time of 48minutes. Faster than most of us could go!
So yeah, as you slow down, the amount of time something like shoe covers can save you will also go down, but still even for someone who can do that 40km in 1hr (which is a not unreasonable target for a decently athletic cyclist with a good kit budget) you're looking at saving a good few seconds. And the point is surely that the shoe covers are a better bang-for-buck investment than even things that most would consider low-hanging-fruit like aero wheels or helmet. This line at the end tells you all you need to know about who this article is aimed at;
Most of you probably already have a set of deep dish aero wheels for racing anyway. A rear disc wheel is one of the last items you should spend lots of money on if you’re looking for big savings. However, if you want to look cool this should be the first item on your list ;-)
It's also a 10-year old article.
Rear disc wheel is the epitome of marginal gains. its at the back in turbulent air already so its actually causing very little drag. The biggest benefit in racing is that people can hear you catching them due to the epic sound a disc makes. Once you have your position aero/power/comfort compromise nailed then kit is the next priority. Cam Wurf says that if he had a £1000 to spend on his bike he would spend £800 on a skinsuit and aerohelmet.

Relative gains for average cyclists are often greater than for a good cyclist but due to the smaller numbers aren't as noticeable and there are usually lower hanging fruit that would make more difference anyway if they were so inclined like clothing and bike maintenance.

My bike riding has gone to shit over the last 18months and is probably gone from my strongest tri-discipline to my weakest :lol:
DOB

Post by DOB »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 am
ukjim wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:54 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:22 am
DOB wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:40 pm Absolutely. But like I said, that article is basically aimed at lads who are probably pretty fit already, and looking for an edge at their local 10/25 TT. The lads you ride with would probably beat the hour for a 25, and they might even do it on a road bike; the article is aimed at people who are that fit and fitter, trying to add an extra 0.25 km/h here or there.
I don’t think overshoes will make any difference to “pretty fit” guys at their local 10/25 TT. It’s a load of bollox.
you are so wrong.
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:14 pm I cycle with a group of extremely fit lads some of whom were high level sportsmen and one thing I have learned is that the gear makes fudge all difference - the best guys will hose you on a €1000 bike or a €6000 bike
I go riding with Conor Dunne and true he would hose you on any bike.

But if I ride a ten mile tt on my road bike vs my TT bike with a skinsuit aero lid and shaved legs at the same wattage there is a significant time difference.

I know this because I have done it many many times. Most time trial enthusiasts will perform tests of new equipment by riding fixed distance at a set wattage and calculating the difference a bit of kit makes. Hence why in the UK TTers are known as "testers". overshoes and skinsuit are probably the best value aero gainz you can get for the money.
It’s like you’re replying to a different post. I not disagreeing with anything you’ve posted there.
Yes you are. The whole reason for this exchange is that you disagree that overshoes make a significant difference in a Time Trial, and Jim's just said they're the best value you can get.

Now, they might not make a highly significant difference, but even a difference of 10 seconds for 40km would definitely matter to somebody who posts a time of 1h 00m 07s.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Skinsuit and overshoes together... maybe...