The official cycling thread

All things Rugby
DOB

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by DOB »

BlackMac wrote:Gave up on the idea of resurrecting the old Carerra, the bike shop reckoned the alloy frame weakens over time and 20 years in the shed might have done for it!! :(

Anyway just got myself a nice wee cyclocross from the Edinburgh Bicycle Warehouse. Bit embarrassing admitting you are starting again from scratch and also need about 250 quids worth of accessories!! :blush:
That's a shame about the Carrera. Don't toss it whatever you do, it might not be the ride it once was, but it'll still get a few envious looks if you get it back to looking like its old self.

It's not easy buying a bike, and having to at the same time admit that you also need a helmet, shorts, a pump, a multi-tool, a water bottle... These days with pedals not coming standard with most bikes over a certain price tag too.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

blindcider wrote:Signed up last minute for Sundays Bristol to London sportive. 117 miles from @Bristol to Kempton Park.

Not quite sure what I've let myself in for (other than a sore arse) tbh.

The good news is after the first 35 miles or so it's mostly downhill with the biggest hill en route at about the 10 mile point. If I can get to 35 miles in about 3 hours I should be ok.
Well I completed it in about 9:30 hours (including lunch and feed stops) so quite chuffed.

Bike obviously wasn't set up quite correctly as my back and hands started to really give me stick after about 80 miles.

Phone battery wasn't up to the job which means no speed/time data was recorded to give an accurate ride time rather than time to complete :x
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

blindcider wrote:
blindcider wrote:Signed up last minute for Sundays Bristol to London sportive. 117 miles from @Bristol to Kempton Park.

The good news is after the first 35 miles or so it's mostly downhill with the biggest hill en route at about the 10 mile point. If I can get to 35 miles in about 3 hours I should be ok.
Well I completed it in about 9:30 hours (including lunch and feed stops) so quite chuffed.

Bike obviously wasn't set up quite correctly as my back and hands started to really give me stick after about 80 miles.

Phone battery wasn't up to the job which means no speed/time data was recorded to give an accurate ride time rather than time to complete :x
Congrats BC, 9:30 in the saddle is a heroic effort, I can't imagine the pain x(

Your bike setup point is critical, people really underestimate the value of the professional bike fit.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Spyglass wrote:
blindcider wrote:

Congrats BC, 9:30 in the saddle is a heroic effort, I can't imagine the pain x(

Your bike setup point is critical, people really underestimate the value of the professional bike fit.
Cheers, taking into account feed stops and lunch its probably more like 8:30 to be honest.

I'll definitely do more of these as the feeling when you cross the line is awesome
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

DOB wrote:
BlackMac wrote:Gave up on the idea of resurrecting the old Carerra, the bike shop reckoned the alloy frame weakens over time and 20 years in the shed might have done for it!! :(

Anyway just got myself a nice wee cyclocross from the Edinburgh Bicycle Warehouse. Bit embarrassing admitting you are starting again from scratch and also need about 250 quids worth of accessories!! :blush:
That's a shame about the Carrera. Don't toss it whatever you do, it might not be the ride it once was, but it'll still get a few envious looks if you get it back to looking like its old self.

It's not easy buying a bike, and having to at the same time admit that you also need a helmet, shorts, a pump, a multi-tool, a water bottle... These days with pedals not coming standard with most bikes over a certain price tag too.
Pedals!!!!......forgot all about that. "What sort of pedals would you like?"......... ehhhh the ones you put your feet on to move the bike forward :?
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

BlackMac wrote:
DOB wrote:

Pedals!!!!......forgot all about that. "What sort of pedals would you like?"......... ehhhh the ones you put your feet on to move the bike forward :?
Which Cyclocross?

I've been looking at getting a new bike when our next bike2work comes up and I've looked at the Giant TCX as an option. Keep going back to the Ribble Evo Pro Carbon road bike at £999 though http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/road- ... =conf_SERC
DOB

Post by DOB »

Anyone ever tried out some of the lower end Campag gear? Mirage, Veloce etc? Seeing some deals on ebay for some, and seriously thinking of switching out the ancient 105 stuff on my Cannondale to get Ergo shifters on it. Am I just being a label whore? And if I'm label-whoring, would I be better off stumping up for Chorus/Athena?
DOB

Post by DOB »

Any cycling bored members live near Rochester? This lad is only selling his bike for local pickup but it's a deadly deal.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0901082426

If you can get over the colour, you can get yourself a serious piece of kit. The groupset alone is worth more than the asking price.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

My new bike got nicked this morning. Including the lock. From the stand outside the gym which is directly in line with a CCTV camera. plum.
musefreek

Post by musefreek »

Brazil wrote:My new bike got nicked this morning. Including the lock. From the stand outside the gym which is directly in line with a CCTV camera. plum.
that's an awful feeling man... happened to me too before a few years ago.

what type of lock was it? surely not a D-lock?
DOB

Post by DOB »

I'm against capital punishment for every crime except bicycle theft. I've had 2 stolen in my time and I will kill whoever I ever see riding either one.

Not that either was particularly standout. If I went round killing everyone in Ireland on a Trek 1000 I'd be a record breaking serial killer.
duke

Post by duke »

DOB wrote:Anyone ever tried out some of the lower end Campag gear? Mirage, Veloce etc? Seeing some deals on ebay for some, and seriously thinking of switching out the ancient 105 stuff on my Cannondale to get Ergo shifters on it. Am I just being a label whore? And if I'm label-whoring, would I be better off stumping up for Chorus/Athena?
Just noticed your question - if I remember correctly, you would need new hubs/wheels because Campag and Shimano cassettes aren't interchangeable.
Not sure about Mirage/Veloce but I'm running 11 speed Chorus and love it - have always used Shimano in the past but really enjoy the Campag shift.
duke

Post by duke »

Brazil wrote:My new bike got nicked this morning. Including the lock. From the stand outside the gym which is directly in line with a CCTV camera. plum.
The bike was less than a month old wasn't it? Electro shock therapy if they catch the scrotes that did it.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

duke wrote:
The bike was less than a month old wasn't it? Electro shock therapy if they catch the scrotes that did it.
Yep. Two weeks and the f**king thing's gone. Hoping and praying to whichever gods look after non-lycra wearing commuters that the house insurance covers it.

Failing that, I'm hoping that they struggled to balance on it as they were riding away, and ended up under a bus.
DOB

Post by DOB »

duke wrote:
DOB wrote:Anyone ever tried out some of the lower end Campag gear? Mirage, Veloce etc? Seeing some deals on ebay for some, and seriously thinking of switching out the ancient 105 stuff on my Cannondale to get Ergo shifters on it. Am I just being a label whore? And if I'm label-whoring, would I be better off stumping up for Chorus/Athena?
Just noticed your question - if I remember correctly, you would need new hubs/wheels because Campag and Shimano cassettes aren't interchangeable.
Not sure about Mirage/Veloce but I'm running 11 speed Chorus and love it - have always used Shimano in the past but really enjoy the Campag shift.
Yeah, been reading up on all the compatibility issues. Fortunately what I'm buying comes complete with shifters, derailleurs, and I got him to throw in the cassette and agree to waive shipping because I also bought a pair of Athena-hubbed wheels off him.

I guess my question was more "if I can get a Sora group for the same price am I as well off?" But I'm in now, so fuckit.
duke

Post by duke »

DOB wrote:
duke wrote:
Yeah, been reading up on all the compatibility issues. Fortunately what I'm buying comes complete with shifters, derailleurs, and I got him to throw in the cassette and agree to waive shipping because I also bought a pair of Athena-hubbed wheels off him.

I guess my question was more "if I can get a Sora group for the same price am I as well off?" But I'm in now, so fuckit.

I presume you're doing the work yourself? I have enough parts for a couple of bikes but have never found the time/patience to put all the bits together yet and am now under pressure to get rid of anything more than is absolutely necessary - "how many bikes do you need?"
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

blindcider wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
DOB wrote:

Which Cyclocross?

I've been looking at getting a new bike when our next bike2work comes up and I've looked at the Giant TCX as an option. Keep going back to the Ribble Evo Pro Carbon road bike at £999 though http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/road- ... =conf_SERC

It's one of Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative's own models. Didn't want to go too pricey as this born again road racer phase has got short lived fad written all over it!! :nod:
DOB

Post by DOB »

duke wrote: I presume you're doing the work yourself? I have enough parts for a couple of bikes but have never found the time/patience to put all the bits together yet and am now under pressure to get rid of anything more than is absolutely necessary - "how many bikes do you need?"
Yeah, the plan is to do it myself, but there's a couple of tasks in there (replacing bottom bracket, whole drivetrain) that I've never actually done before myself, so it'll be a tough ask. I'm buying, essentially, a frameless bike, so I hopefully shouldn't get stuck in some halfway house of some parts on, some off; I guess when you install new dual-function levers, you're in for the full haul!
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

DOB wrote:
duke wrote: I presume you're doing the work yourself? I have enough parts for a couple of bikes but have never found the time/patience to put all the bits together yet and am now under pressure to get rid of anything more than is absolutely necessary - "how many bikes do you need?"
Yeah, the plan is to do it myself, but there's a couple of tasks in there (replacing bottom bracket, whole drivetrain) that I've never actually done before myself, so it'll be a tough ask. I'm buying, essentially, a frameless bike, so I hopefully shouldn't get stuck in some halfway house of some parts on, some off; I guess when you install new dual-function levers, you're in for the full haul!
Most of that stuff is easy enough. If you go to sheldonbrown.com and follow the instructions exactly, you'll be grand. The first time I set up a drivetrain it worked perfectly, the next couple I cut a few corners and ended up f**king around for ages. I can do them alright now but slow and steady wins the first few times.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
DOB wrote:
Most of that stuff is easy enough. If you go to sheldonbrown.com and follow the instructions exactly, you'll be grand. The first time I set up a drivetrain it worked perfectly, the next couple I cut a few corners and ended up f**king around for ages. I can do them alright now but slow and steady wins the first few times.
Yeah, I do want to take it slow. Like I said, there's no individual part of a drivetrain (or bike) that I haven't replaced (or at least taken off and put back on), but to do the whole lot (plus BB, plus brakes, plus bars) and throwing in that I haven't actually installed dual-shifters before... all on the one bike at the same time... well it's a bit intimidating.

I also brewed my first ever batch of homemade beer yesterday, so that's going to be fermenting over the next week or so. I don't know why the fudge I'm taking all this shit on at the same time, it's not as if I'm not busy at work.
frillage

Post by frillage »

Right have cracked and am going to buy a road bike.
Got about £500 lying about to get kitted out. Obviously bike shop best bet, got a decent local one, but any advice? Only really need a bike and prob a new helmet, will start with flats and clips and move to spds if get into it later, mountain biker so not ready to wear Lycra, though that may come later also.
About 190cm as that probably effects decision on what to get.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Off to cycle the route to our new office to see how long it takes today. Should get to do 3 days a week there and back
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

frillage wrote:Right have cracked and am going to buy a road bike.
Got about £500 lying about to get kitted out. Obviously bike shop best bet, got a decent local one, but any advice? Only really need a bike and prob a new helmet, will start with flats and clips and move to spds if get into it later, mountain biker so not ready to wear Lycra, though that may come later also.
Bicycle cooperative still have their sale on. I got £200 off mine. All their own 'Revolution' makes are bombproof and go up to 59" frames.
Seez

Post by Seez »

What are you going to use it for? Commuting or Sunday rides with mates / a club, sportives? Might be worth buying something that you can keep as a winter trainer or commuter if you get into it and upgrade to something racier next year. If so something like the specialised tri cross might be worth a look if you can get one on that budget in the sales. Clearance for cross tyres, rack and mudguards and some models have disc brakes which is the way it looks like road bikes will go in the next few years.

Any chance of getting it on the bike 2 work scheme?
Armchair_Superstar

Seez wrote:
What are you going to use it for? Commuting or Sunday rides with mates / a club, sportives? Might be worth buying something that you can keep as a winter trainer or commuter if you get into it and upgrade to something racier next year. If so something like the specialised tri cross might be worth a look if you can get one on that budget in the sales. Clearance for cross tyres, rack and mudguards and some models have disc brakes which is the way it looks like road bikes will go in the next few years.

Sound advice. Frillage you're about the same height as me, you'll probably be around 60cm in a frame. If you have long/short legs that could change the frame size, you might be best to sit on whatever you buy.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

BOOM! Got my time into work down to under 27 minutes, that 5 minutes knocked off my time from the start of the summer...I'm hoping to crack the holy grail of sub 25 minutes by the end of the summer.
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

After a phenomenally long period of not being arsed cycling into work I am back for some bike retard advice again.

Decided to hop on the bike this morning. Back tyre was a bit soft as I hadn't used the bike in about 4 weeks. Pumped it up using floor standing pump and when I removed pump I managed to pull the insides out of the f**king valve. To compound the annoyance the valve bits then got shot out of the pump nozzle and are gone, I spend about 20 mins on hands and knees sifting through gravel for them.

How the fudge did this happen? I hate these skinny f**king valves, they are so fiddly. Do I need to replace this tube or can I replace valve? I tried to take the exact same bits off my spare but I couldn't so I am guessing the valve is broken.

To describe what is actually gone, I have removed more than just the fiddly little tiny top bit but less than the entire assembly that seems to come out in one piece by design. The remains of the valve are just an open hole about 3mm in diameter atop a threaded bit sitting in the valve base. This bit won't screw out of the valve base either. I'm guessing it's fooked because it seems to come out of my spare by design.

It will at least be amusing to see if I can get the tube in myself this time. I have of course forgotten the witchcraft the fucker in the shop employed :(
Last edited by Apposite on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Jeff the Bear wrote:BOOM! Got my time into work down to under 27 minutes, that 5 minutes knocked off my time from the start of the summer...I'm hoping to crack the holy grail of sub 25 minutes by the end of the summer.
Just been trying to compare my average km/h speed (21 km/h), and came across a stat that Lance Armstrong managed the fastest ever average speed in his last ever Tour (an outrageous 42 odd km/h).

Does anyone know what a good likely non-drugged average speed is?
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

From memory you are on a MTB on a hilly route, yeah?
frillage

Post by frillage »

Seez wrote:

Will look into the bike2work scheme.

Will commute on it and head out for decent rides on it on days off.
Will look at the specialised.
Was looking at something like this,
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... road-bikes

unfortunately they don't have it in anything near my size.

Blackmac, will most likely be Edinburgh bike coop I use, local and have always found them decent when picking up bits and bobs for mtb.
Armchair_Superstar

Apposite wrote:After a phenomenally long period of not being arsed cycling into work I am back for some bike retard advice again.

Decided to hop on the bike this morning. Back tyre was a bit soft as I hadn't used the bike in about 4 weeks. Pumped it up using floor standing pump and when I removed pump I managed to pull the insides out of the f**king valve. To compound the annoyance the valve bits then got shot out of the pump nozzle and are gone, I spend about 20 mins on hands and knees sifting through gravel for them.

How the fudge did this happen? I hate these skinny f**king valves, they are so fiddly. Do I need to replace this tube or can I replace valve? I tried to take the exact same bits off my spare but I couldn't so I am guessing the valve is broken.

To describe what is actually gone, I have removed more than just the fiddly little tiny top bit but less than the entire assembly that seems to come out in one piece by design. The remains of the valve are just an open hole about 3mm in diameter atop a threaded bit sitting in the valve base. This bit won't screw out of the valve base either. I'm guessing it's fooked because it seems to come out of my spare by design.

It will at least be amusing to see if I can get the tube in myself this time. I have of course forgotten the witchcraft the fucker in the shop employed :(
It sounds like the valve is f**ked, which writes off the tube. Some valves come in two parts, the internal bit screws out, I have never eseen spare internals for them though. The small valves are fiddly, especially if you're using a small pump and trying to hold it on the nozzle, its very easy to bend the internals on the valve.

To get the tyre on/off, make sure the beads of the tyre are right down into the dish on the rim. It makes enough of a difference to the circumference to allow some slack to pull the bead over the rim. You might want to ensure that the last bit is beside the valve, to ensure that the valve doesn't interfere with getting the bead into the dish. Get it on most of the way and then throw some lube on the bead/rim for the last bit if its still stuck.
Seez

Post by Seez »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:BOOM! Got my time into work down to under 27 minutes, that 5 minutes knocked off my time from the start of the summer...I'm hoping to crack the holy grail of sub 25 minutes by the end of the summer.
Just been trying to compare my average km/h speed (21 km/h), and came across a stat that Lance Armstrong managed the fastest ever average speed in his last ever Tour (an outrageous 42 odd km/h).

A lot of that would have been sheltered in a peloton where it is easy to hold that sort of speed and he wouldn't have had to stop or slow down for lights, traffic, etc. On the other hand quite a bit of it would have been up an Alpe!

There are a lot of variables but for a cat 3 or 4 rider, a good speed on your own on a road bike for an hour's ride on a flattish route without too much wind nor needing to stop or slow too often would be around 31km/h. Aerodynamics make a big difference, so having an aggressive position and staying on the drops will increase speed.

If you really want to compare yourself to other riders you need to find out your Watts/kg for various time periods:

Edit: Those are seppo categories, in the civilised world you start at Cat 4 and then go up to Elite after Cat 1.
Last edited by Seez on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

Obviously a tube is only a few quid, I was just hoping to save the palaver of the change. Cheers for the advice.

Will report back on my idiotic struggles with the tyre tomorrow!
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Apposite wrote:From memory you are on a MTB on a hilly route, yeah?
Yep.
Seez

Post by Seez »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Yep.
With knobbly tyres or slicks?
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Seez wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Yep.
Knobbly tyres.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Seez wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

A lot of that would have been sheltered in a peloton where it is easy to hold that sort of speed and he wouldn't have had to stop or slow down for lights, traffic, etc. On the other hand quite a bit of it would have been up an Alpe!

There are a lot of variables but for a cat 3 rider, a good speed on your own on a road bike for an hour's ride on a flattish route without too much wind nor needing to stop or slow too often would be around 31km/h. Aerodynamics make a big difference, so having an aggressive position and staying on the drops will increase speed.

If you really want to compare yourself to other riders you need to find out your Watts/kg for various time periods:

Edit: Those are seppo categories, in the civilised world you start at Cat 4 and then go up to Elite after Cat 1.
How do you work out your watts per kg?
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Seez wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Yep.
Knobbly tyres.
I would say that if you are on a hilly route on a MTB with knobblies that 21km/h is a pretty respectable average. Is that your moving average or your total? Do you spend much time stopped at lights, behind buses etc?

When Smee says 31 km/h would be good he is talking about:
Flat route.
Road bike (lighter, stiffer, better riding position).
Thin tyres.
Little/no traffic/lights/other stops.
Cat 3 rider which sounds decent.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Apposite wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Seez wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Yep.
Knobbly tyres.
I would say that if you are on a hilly route on a MTB with knobblies that 21km/h is a pretty respectable average. Is that your moving average or your total? Do you spend much time stopped at lights, behind buses etc?

When Smee says 31 km/h would be good he is talking about:
Flat route.
Road bike (lighter, stiffer, better riding position).
Thin tyres.
Little/no traffic/lights/other stops.
Cat 3 rider which sounds decent.

I've tailored my route so that I spend as much time off the road as possible. Bristol is good in that it's a 'Cycling city', so there are good provisions for cyclists in designated cycling lanes etc all over the place.

However, staying off the road means I have to cross them now and again and therefore there are several times I have to stop and wait for lights and traffic etc...so that 21 km/h is an average over the entire route (which thinking about it means that if there I wasn't made to stop, I'd likely have a higher average speed).
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

How hilly is the route?

With my very limited knowledge of cycling I'd say you are going at a decent pace, even though your route is short enough.

If you're reasonably fit and you are pretty bollocksed when you arrive that is a non-scientific way of determining that you are going at a decent speed.

Why not change the knobblies for semi-slick MTB tyres? You'll be amazed at the difference.