Jobby

Re: The official cycling thread

Post by Jobby »

Queue abuse

And a

Leffe

Post by Leffe »

duke wrote:I splashed some cash on one of these last year, never regretted it, love the bike and love the Campag Chorus kit it's fitted with:

Lovely! I've a 10 year old Wilier Izzoard, Aluminium/carbon frame with Dura Ace group set and Campagnolo Eros (sp?) wheel set. Wiliers are quite rare, except in Italy I think....
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

My MTB, have done the TransGerman and TransAlps on this bike - love it! Climbs like a motherfucker!:

Leffe

Post by Leffe »

Cartman wrote:Question for the cyclists on here:

What is a good "distance" to do on a stationary bike a week if you are an office jockey who wants to do a 24hr 340km mountain bike challenge at the end of the year.

(I can only ride my normal bike on the weekends by the way, hence the exercise bike)

Link to challenge:

http://www.desertdashnamibia.com/
If you can't get out riding serious amounts, I'd reconsider (sorry). I've done 2x epic races and was putting in up to 18 hours a week serious training rides (2x 5 hour base rides in that). It's simply not possible to do the required base riding for this distance indoors. If I was hoping to do a 340km race this year, I'd want to bhe knocking in 3x week (one of which 80km base ride, 2x 2 hr mtb) at this monent. Then when the nights pull out I'd want to extend the base ride to 100, then 120 and extending the MTB rides for the power.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

duke wrote:
Joost wrote:
duke wrote:
Joost wrote:HKCJ - as lovely as that P3 is, do you really think you can face 4-6 hours in an aero position on a TT bike?

I fancy some new wheels for my bike, anyone had experience with Fulcrum racing wheels?
Joost - I have some good Fulcrums (ones?) on my Wilier - good stiff wheels and managed to stay true through 6 months of punishment - to put that in context, I have managed to trash about 4 back wheels in the last 3 years through a combination of dodgy roads and too much weight.
Ta, hear good things about them and they're pretty reasonably priced (think the lower the number the lighter/racier they are?). Also don't want the pain of switching to carbon wheels and having to change my breaks.

My bike is currently attached to my trainer and likely to stay there for at least another month, have films/programs for the pyrennes and the basque country so no need to venture into the cold just yet :)
Do you use the Tacx Fortius for this? I have a few Real Life Videos for mine - include the Tourmalet/Galibier/Alpe d'Huez - a regular escape from the usual drudgery of indoor training.

Have you tried any of the vids from http://www.thesufferfest.com
Womack

Post by Womack »

Jobby wrote:Image

Queue abuse
I tend to go for a more retro aesthetic but that is awesome :lol:
Joost

Post by Joost »

The old-school horn taped to the handlebars is a particularly nice touch :thumbup:
duke

Post by duke »

Spyglass wrote:
duke wrote:
Joost wrote:
duke wrote:
Joost wrote:HKCJ - as lovely as that P3 is, do you really think you can face 4-6 hours in an aero position on a TT bike?

I fancy some new wheels for my bike, anyone had experience with Fulcrum racing wheels?
Joost - I have some good Fulcrums (ones?) on my Wilier - good stiff wheels and managed to stay true through 6 months of punishment - to put that in context, I have managed to trash about 4 back wheels in the last 3 years through a combination of dodgy roads and too much weight.
Ta, hear good things about them and they're pretty reasonably priced (think the lower the number the lighter/racier they are?). Also don't want the pain of switching to carbon wheels and having to change my breaks.

My bike is currently attached to my trainer and likely to stay there for at least another month, have films/programs for the pyrennes and the basque country so no need to venture into the cold just yet :)
Do you use the Tacx Fortius for this? I have a few Real Life Videos for mine - include the Tourmalet/Galibier/Alpe d'Huez - a regular escape from the usual drudgery of indoor training.

Have you tried any of the vids from http://www.thesufferfest.com
Not yet - have seen the promos for them - look brutal
Seez

Post by Seez »

For turbo training, I highly recommend http://www.trainerroad.com. Turns supported trainers + speed sensors into power meter and overlays downloaded interval workouts on top of a DVD or iplayer on your computer.

Now linked in with the Sufferfest videos (http://www.thesufferfest.com) to make sure you are hurting yourself sufficiently when using those vids!

(No connection to trainer road apart from being a happy beta tester who is now paying for the service which is a bargain at $10 per month)
bealonian

Post by bealonian »

Can anyone recommend a good, but scottishly priced, front light for commuting.

Doesn't need to be 'light the road in front' bright, but good for being seen by mad bus drivers.
Womack

Post by Womack »

I've got a Blackburn flea, which charges on a USB thingy. Can't remember what it cost but it wasn't that much. It's pretty powerful for its tiny size, although I have been meaning to get another one just to beef up my head-on visibility, having had a couple of near misses from people turning right in front of me of late.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

I have a set of Ay-Ups but they don't meet your price criteria. I have found that the helmet-mounted one is very good for getting noticed because it is above headlight-height and you can also focus it on somebody if you think they haven't seen you.
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

bealonian wrote:Can anyone recommend a good, but scottishly priced, front light for commuting.

Doesn't need to be 'light the road in front' bright, but good for being seen by mad bus drivers.
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/HL-EL135/

I use that it's bright enough

can't remember price I bought it 2-3 years ago.
EssexBloke

Post by EssexBloke »

Laurent wrote:
bealonian wrote:Can anyone recommend a good, but scottishly priced, front light for commuting.

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/HL-EL135/

I use that it's bright enough

can't remember price I bought it 2-3 years ago.

+1 on the Cat Eyes. I use front and back Cat Eyes for my commute into the City of London. You might also want to invest in a pair of these Fibre Flares. They are the f**king nuts and can be seen from miles away:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=fibre+flares

And to the guy who is looking for energy food for a long bike ride - Soreen Banana Loaf, thickly spread with butter.

Tastes fantastic and keeps you going for ages. Make sure it's banana, not the fruit loaf shite.
bealonian

Post by bealonian »

I'v got a 1 LED cateye at the mo, but it's not great. Is the EL135 definitely bright enough?
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

bealonian wrote:I'v got a 1 LED cateye at the mo, but it's not great. Is the EL135 definitely bright enough?
3 leds

it's bright
AYEAYE

Post by AYEAYE »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
AYEAYE wrote:Just got this bad boy.

Nice!!!

Cheers Mate, don't see many of these about but they are special, very high spec and cro-mo frame but very understated.
I have an account with the importers so got it at trade. Lucky, cuz they are pricey.
bealonian

Post by bealonian »

Womack wrote:I've got a Blackburn flea, which charges on a USB thingy. Can't remember what it cost but it wasn't that much. It's pretty powerful for its tiny size, although I have been meaning to get another one just to beef up my head-on visibility, having had a couple of near misses from people turning right in front of me of late.
How often do you charge?
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

The used, but in excellent condition, MTB I got for just $220 in the summer.

The very used one I bought on the weekend for $50 and had converted to a one speed for winter riding. Did my first commute to/from work today on it, and it was grand. Kept pace with a couple of guys on road bikes.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Smart Lunar 35
6roucho

Post by 6roucho »

Womack wrote:

Queue abuse
One thing I like about that bike is the small frame size. You can see the owner is a size too big for it by the position of the seat. This is what I do with my flat bar roadies - buy them a size smaller than is recommended, which brings greater responsiveness, and then adjust the seat bar relationship to provide the correct ergonomics, in my case usually by buying a longer stem, since I find that moving the seat back affects the pedal positioning in a way I don't like. This might be 'wrong' but it works for me.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Good a place as any to post this;

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... -armstrong

The clue is in the URL.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Womack wrote:

Queue abuse

Crikey :lol:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

DOB wrote:Good a place as any to post this;

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... -armstrong

The clue is in the URL.

cccccaaaaaarrrrrrnnnnnnntttttt :x
dhroadie

Post by dhroadie »

fudge I hate what a fuckabout it is to load images on this shithouse new site. Gone is the convenient 'insert image' button, now I have to piss around with getting anything I might want to post here hosted somewhere on the internet rather than just in my files?

Pile of pish.

Nice bikes by the way, lads.
frillage

Post by frillage »

New cycling thread so, though most will have seen him, google Danny macaskill and watch the vids on YouTube. All good, but the original inspired bicycles one in Edinburgh is amazing, great track to go with it.
Sorry can't link, posting on phone.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

frillage wrote:New cycling thread so, though most will have seen him, google Danny macaskill and watch the vids on YouTube. All good, but the original inspired bicycles one in Edinburgh is amazing, great track to go with it.

Yeah... it's magic to watch. Music is Band of Horses, 'The Funeral'.

link to clip
frillage

Post by frillage »

guy smiley wrote:
frillage wrote:New cycling thread so, though most will have seen him, google Danny macaskill and watch the vids on YouTube. All good, but the original inspired bicycles one in Edinburgh is amazing, great track to go with it.

Yeah... it's magic to watch. Music is Band of Horses, 'The Funeral'.

link to clip
Ta

Can see places he shot it from window and more on way to work. Bloody impressive.
Armchair_Superstar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYgAX6D43Q

Danny Hart's 2011 World Champs run. He is a 19 year-old British kid who destroyed a field of the world's best downhillers, in torrential rain, on one of the steepest courses on the circuit.
Womack

Post by Womack »

bealonian wrote:
Womack wrote:I've got a Blackburn flea, which charges on a USB thingy. Can't remember what it cost but it wasn't that much. It's pretty powerful for its tiny size, although I have been meaning to get another one just to beef up my head-on visibility, having had a couple of near misses from people turning right in front of me of late.
How often do you charge?
Sorry, just seen this - every day. I just leave the USB Charger in my work pooter. On flash I think you get about 3-4 hours out of it, less on constant. So it's not brilliant for 'battery' life but for me re-charging is very easy compared to the faff of an actual battery recharger etc
bealonian

Post by bealonian »

Cheers. Ordered the el135 from Amazon
choc

Post by choc »

Womack wrote:
I'm looking at you here Womack, and i mean this with the greatest of respect particularly given I don't know anything of your cycling habits and you could have been a junior Mark Cavendish, but I have met you and you're hardly Lance Armstrong in terms of physique.
:lol:

I'm actually surprisingly quick, the good thing about bikes is that unless you're going uphill, excess bodyweight is not a big factor in performance (actually an advantage downhill).

I was slightly uncomfortable for a week or so when I switched to a road bike but soon got used to the slightly less upright position. In truth I don't use the drops much as I find kneeing myself repeatedly in the belly is slightly unconducive to not throwing up when I'm out of breath. The biggest problem I had at first was braking when on the hoods, I didn't feel confident at all because of the less advantageous position on the levers compared to a flat-barred bike. But either I've got stronger forearms now or the pads have broken in a bit as I have no problems stopping now.

Anyway, I thoroughly recommend getting a road bike, it's not necessarily a magic bullet to more speed (although mine has definitely improved with one) but somehow it makes riding on the road a lot more fun. As far as what to get, have a look at Genesis - I think the Aether has been discontinued but you can still get 2011 models, and the Equilibrium (more expensive) is a similar frame but in steel that has a very good rep for comfort and performance. I think you can get a 2011 Equilibrium 10 for £750 somewhere on line which is very good value. A 2011 Aether 10 like mine should be available for £500 or under. With either, you get a bit more cachet than riding around on an Allez which is a very typical 'first road bike'.

NB, re Brompton, small wheel bikes can be very quick as discussed on here some time back. Small wheels make for less inertia, or something like that.
Womack

You've cost me a fortune you f*cker. Following your brutal assassination of my original choiice (combined with the fact i actually didnt find it that comfortable when i tried it) on your recommendation I tried a Genesis I have now have this winging its way to me on Saturday.

2011 ex demo model with a 1/3rd off. God bless white bar tape and its ability to get dirty when on display.

Womack

Post by Womack »

Excellent choice - looks lovely in that cherry red as well :thumbup:

You'll thank me when blokes on Treks and Specializeds are casting envious looks your way at lights (and blokes on more esoteric choices are nodding sagely, as is their wont).
choc

Post by choc »

It'll be those very same people on their treks and specialized that will be laughing and then helping me back up off the pavement when Ive got my farkin feet stuck in these ridiculous pedals the chap in the shop has convinced me to buy. The plum.
duke

Post by duke »

choc wrote:It'll be those very same people on their treks and specialized that will be laughing and then helping me back up off the pavement when Ive got my farkin feet stuck in these ridiculous pedals the chap in the shop has convinced me to buy. The plum.
Ahhh, clip ins, guaranteed falling over and making an arse of yourself for a few days material.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Ah, I've never succombed. I've got a frankly sacrilegious set of DMR V12s on my road bike (in white, to match the saddle and bar tape).

While I know there are good reasons for SPDs, I just don't feel the need to use them.
duke

Post by duke »

Womack wrote:Ah, I've never succombed. I've got a frankly sacrilegious set of DMR V12s on my road bike (in white, to match the saddle and bar tape).

While I know there are good reasons for SPDs, I just don't feel the need to use them.
I suspect they could be a bit of a pain in the arse for in town riding.

Incidentally, is anyone doing the nighttime London Brighton charity ride at the end of June? I've been roped in to doing it by an old mate.
choc

Post by choc »

Womack wrote:Ah, I've never succombed. I've got a frankly sacrilegious set of DMR V12s on my road bike (in white, to match the saddle and bar tape).

I didn't either particularly but the chap in the shop saw me for the cycling luddite that I am and took advantage of me. Convinced me that with them that the only difference between me and Chris Hoy was clipless pedals and the deal was done. Well, that and the fact that a mate's given me his spare of shoes. I will be cycling on the grass until I can use them.
Armchair_Superstar

choc wrote:

I didn't either particularly but the chap in the shop saw me for the cycling luddite that I am and took advantage of me. Convinced me that with them that the only difference between me and Chris Hoy was clipless pedals and the deal was done. Well, that and the fact that a mate's given me his spare of shoes. I will be cycling on the grass until I can use them.
Nice choice Choc. I had a hub-geared bike when I first used SPDs, I still have a nice big scar on my calf from a fall where I managed to drive an SPD into the back of my leg at great speed.
bealonian

Post by bealonian »

duke wrote:

I suspect they could be a bit of a pain in the arse for in town riding.

Incidentally, is anyone doing the nighttime London Brighton charity ride at the end of June? I've been roped in to doing it by an old mate.
Not the nighttime, but I've signed up for the London to Brighton on June 17.