Official Golf Thread

All things Rugby
Gareth1960

Re: Official Golf Thread

Post by Gareth1960 »

I went back to my old driver which has a shaft slacker than an Essex girls minge and found that if I swing smoothly it gets me at least 10 yards further than my newer TM thingamy.

Finally accepting my slow swing speed and not trying to melt it resulting in better , straighter. higher , longer drives!
Who would have thought it!
rusted

Post by rusted »

Tried out the new Callaway XR16 driver for a few rounds. Didn't get on with it so hauled out my old Callaway XR Hot driver for a quick 9 holes yesterday. Back in the groove again. Put XR16 on ebay, sold it within a couple of hours.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Managed to squeeze in a few holes before dusk
Spoiler: show
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

Played against a 24 handicapper on Saturday in a 3 ball six-some, never played with him before. Great nickname - "Star Trek" as he boldly goes to parts of the course where no man has been before....
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Going to get out for 9 tonight. I was on the range on Sunday and figured some stuff out and ended up hitting the ball about as well as I ever have, but I find it impossible to transfer that to the course. Hoping a nice 9 holes on an empty course with no pressure on might help a bit.

I'd been crippled by my putting earlier in the summer but on Saturday I holed everything from inside about 10 ft, just felt really comfortable. My driving, which has been the most consistent part of my game by far over the summer, then let me down badly which wrecked the round. The rough in my place is absolutely savage at the moment too, combination of warm and wet weather.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Can't keep these big dirty block slices out of my game. Missed 9 of the 15 fairways to the right, including a couple out of bounds and another in a hazard. Had enough, going for a lesson this week.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

danthefan wrote:Can't keep these big dirty block slices out of my game. Missed 9 of the 15 fairways to the right, including a couple out of bounds and another in a hazard. Had enough, going for a lesson this week.
Set up and then consciously put your weight on your back foot before you swing.

Worked for me.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:Can't keep these big dirty block slices out of my game. Missed 9 of the 15 fairways to the right, including a couple out of bounds and another in a hazard. Had enough, going for a lesson this week.

Worked for me.
I would have my weight on my back foot off the tee as a habit. I don't know the cause, the swing feels much the same as a decent drive and the ball comes out of the middle of the club. It just goes anything up to 20 yards right of where I'm aiming.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Hit my first round in two years in Thursday, sneaked round in 97 shots, might need more practice
earl the beaver

danthefan wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Worked for me.
I would have my weight on my back foot off the tee as a habit. I don't know the cause, the swing feels much the same as a decent drive and the ball comes out of the middle of the club. It just goes anything up to 20 yards right of where I'm aiming.
Starting right or heavy fade with left to right spin?
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Worked for me.
Both :lol:

The heavy fade is really the destructive bit though.
henry

Post by henry »

It goes without saying but don't listen to any fecker on here. Go see a pro. Get it diagnosed and corrected properly.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

danthefan wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Worked for me.

I had a similar issue and pottered about youtube looking for different solutions. I found one that seemed like it made sense and have been smashing my driver consistently long and straight ever since (with the inevitable lost shots right every now and then). It's worth taking a look before you get a chance to see a pro.
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

danthefan wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Worked for me.

I've managed to 'cure' something similar by straightening up my legs (less flex at the knees) and standing a touch closer to the ball with my longer clubs. Hitting it beautifully.

At just about the same time I get that right my putting goes to shite. 38 putts at the weekend. Four 3 putts and a 4 putt. Lost the competition by one, 3 putting the last two greens. :blush:
rusted

Post by rusted »

Bought one of these to analyse my swing as my driver has been a little wayward recently.

http://www.golfskypro.com/skypro

Played with it a couple of times. Pretty impressed with the software. Helps enormously to get an idea of what is happening in your swing, and allows you to set parameters in the app which then enables you to groove your swing and make it repeatable. Still getting the hang of it at the moment, but impressed so far.
Gareth1960

Post by Gareth1960 »

Royal Porthcawl Wednesday and Thursday this week !
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

henry wrote:It goes without saying but don't listen to any fecker on here. Go see a pro. Get it diagnosed and corrected properly.
Quite.

DTF,

You've clearly got a few kinks in your swing, if you want to seriously get better go see a pro to start getting it fixed. There really isnt any magical cures or tips as your flaws will keep happening when your swing is under pressure i.e. when you've a decent card in your hand. It unfortunately also takes time and practice to get your muscle memory sorted.
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

I had a splendid weekend, Loch Lomond Saturday, Prestwick yesterday, my 4somes partner and I shot 5 under round Prestwick (was pretty still conditions though and soft)
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
henry wrote:It goes without saying but don't listen to any fecker on here. Go see a pro. Get it diagnosed and corrected properly.
Quite.
Nonsense, its nothing a 15 handicapper with a brolly can't sort out.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Quite.

DTF,

You've clearly got a few kinks in your swing, if you want to seriously get better go see a pro to start getting it fixed. There really isnt any magical cures or tips as your flaws will keep happening when your swing is under pressure i.e. when you've a decent card in your hand. It unfortunately also takes time and practice to get your muscle memory sorted.
I've booked a lesson for Wednesday. I had 33 points on Saturday despite being absolutely wild off the tee so I'm hopeful if I can get it sorted I'll be doing OK.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Playing ok at the moment but not getting enough 5/6 ft putts not feeling comfortable over them - I think I am going to go up to the putting green tonight for an hour or so.
earl the beaver

Taking Thursday and Friday off work this week, will play Sandmoor on Thursday which is apparently the 10th best course in Yorkshire then, if possible and weather is good, I will be playing the Marquess or Dukes at Woburn at the weekend.

Really need to work on shots that aren't a full swing, anything from 100 yards in really, I just chunk them all the time. Really annoying as I've been smashing my driving lately and I'm often left with this sort of shots on a lot par 4s at the courses I've been playing. It's got to the point where I'm actually doing better on the longer par 4s as I can swing a 7-5 Iron nicely and have more control. Won't be an issue at Woburn as the Champioship courses are longer though.
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

earl the beaver wrote:Taking Thursday and Friday off work this week, will play Sandmoor on Thursday which is apparently the 10th best course in Yorkshire then, if possible and weather is good, I will be playing the Marquess or Dukes at Woburn at the weekend.

Really need to work on shots that aren't a full swing, anything from 100 yards in really, I just chunk them all the time. Really annoying as I've been smashing my driving lately and I'm often left with this sort of shots on a lot par 4s at the courses I've been playing. It's got to the point where I'm actually doing better on the longer par 4s as I can swing a 7-5 Iron nicely and have more control. Won't be an issue at Woburn as the Champioship courses are longer though.
Push for the Marquess if you can, it's fantastic! I played my first ever round of golf on the Duke's aged 11, something of a baptism of fire...
earl the beaver

eugenefraxby wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:Taking Thursday and Friday off work this week, will play Sandmoor on Thursday which is apparently the 10th best course in Yorkshire then, if possible and weather is good, I will be playing the Marquess or Dukes at Woburn at the weekend.

Push for the Marquess if you can, it's fantastic! I played my first ever round of golf on the Duke's aged 11, something of a baptism of fire...
I've played it quite a few times now, couldn't really pick between either, I just don't want to play the Duchess again.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

Anyone played the London shire golf course in Barnet?

Playing it tomorrow.

Will I need plenty of balls. I'm a unpredictable 18 handicapper.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Jim Furyk is -11 after 12 in the US Tour event in Connecticut right now. Playing a par 5 and it's a par 70 - looks nailed on for a 59 or lower (spare me mocker gods please).
k1w1-ozzie-hambo

Post by k1w1-ozzie-hambo »

on for a 58 if he pars the last or 57 with Birdie

http://live.robinwidget.com/streamvideo ... 70133.html
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

He makes it for a 58! Stunning!
k1w1-ozzie-hambo

Post by k1w1-ozzie-hambo »

Shoots a 58 on a par 70 not to shabby, apparently over 613,000 rounds since the first 59 in 77 and 29 years on the PGA tour to get there :shock:
mickie

Post by mickie »

He went out in 27 :shock:
earl the beaver

My golf was rubbish today, mainly due to the driving, I got lucky a couple of times where the slice I was having was pushed by the wind to carry ridiculous dog legs, nearly albatrossed the par 5 because of it after hitting a 7 iron in and running it past the pin.

Course was bone dry and the wind was properly strong, nearly had to play it like links, had a 40 yard chip and landed it on the fringe at the front of the green, raced through the back of the green probably another 30 yards of roll.

Was playing with a mate from work and fúcking hell he was just bombing it in the back 9 when he got his driving right, drove the green on a 375 yard par 4 (admittedly a massive wind) but then drove the 18th in the opposite direction dead into the wind at 280.
henry

Post by henry »

Furyk - absolutely immense. He's had a 59 before I think so to be the first to beat it is some achievement :thumbdown:

As for my game, had enough so had a lesson yesterday. All the technological bells and whistles. First time Ive had a lesson using Trackman - fascinating stuff and despite my fears it would result in paralysis by analysis, it was far from that. Not sure I'll go back to a pro simply looking at the swing - quantifiable evidence is just so much more reassuring and you can get instant feedback in terms of feelings and thoughts. Also encouraging to see your potential and how to rate against the pros 8)

Also led to a setup adjustment with the driver that I'd never had made in a million years if left to my own devices - was told to put the ball back into the middle of my stance. Had the desired effect at the range. Unfortunately, odd excellent shot aside, didn't work on the course today :x
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

Trackman type analysis is feckin brilliant and I just love the technology however having suffered with my ballooning fade drives for ages my club pro took all of 10 mins to diagnose problem and sort me out! Sent me to the range with a specific thing to practice and then got me along the following week to try out new drivers on the trackman. He made a huge difference to my driving and having been fitted with new driver I now I have a slight draw, an extra 30 yards and hitting every fairway. I could have kissed him!
NickM

Post by NickM »

Got my first ever hole-in-one last week. 6 iron 160 yards. But it was a late evening practice round on my own - so no witnesses! :thumbdown:
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Had a good last week- 38pts on Monday finished 4th, 49 pts in rumble on wed, 44pts on own card which included eagle on par 5, 2 other birdies - very windy drove one par 4 first time ever 29 years- then 3 putted in p*ssing rain :(( On Thurs knocked out 1 handicapper (used to be plus 2) and 9 handicapper in quarter final of club fourball with Partner :thumbup:
Playing Lahinch on Sat hope its a decent day.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

NickM wrote:Got my first ever hole-in-one last week. 6 iron 160 yards. But it was a late evening practice round on my own - so no witnesses! :thumbdown:
We believe you.

Congrats! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Openside

Post by Openside »

Eugenefraxby

Do you fancy a round at Worplesdon tomorrow with Tah Myself and Henry??
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

Openside wrote:Eugenefraxby

Do you fancy a round at Worplesdon tomorrow with Tah Myself and Henry??
That's very kind of you OS, I can't duck out of some meetings unforch, could you PM me and will deffo sort out another time, might include the kilted buffoon Hamilton...! Enjoy your game lads.
Last edited by eugenefraxby on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Openside

Post by Openside »

sent email so you can edit out should you wish...
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

Openside wrote:sent email so you can edit out should you wish...
Wisdom there Sir!