Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 9:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official Golf Thread
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:20 pm 

Openside wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
henry wrote:
Golf Union of Wales advice, and it might be mirrored in Scotland, is for the following:

2 balls only

No competitions

Tee times in advance

10 mins between pairs

Social distancing at all times

Club house open for only essential functions

No trolleys or carts

No removal of flagsticks. No rakes.

Seems sensible. If correct, likely to mirrored in England.

Got to open the nurseries first for me to be able take advantage mind :(

Better than nothing, don’t understand no trolleys if it’s your own.

I assume they mean no hire trollies or buggies.

They do.

But if you can’t carry, you shouldn’t be able to play anyway. Same goes for people who can’t pick up their ball from the cup or hazard without help.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:35 pm 

henry wrote:
Openside wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
henry wrote:
Golf Union of Wales advice, and it might be mirrored in Scotland, is for the following:

2 balls only

No competitions

Tee times in advance

10 mins between pairs

No trolleys or carts

They do.

But if you can’t carry, you shouldn’t be able to play anyway. Same goes for people who can’t pick up their ball from the cup or hazard without help.

I can carry I prefer to play with a trolley.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:38 pm 

henry wrote:
Openside wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
henry wrote:

2 balls only

No competitions

Tee times in advance

10 mins between pairs

No trolleys or carts

They do.

Their money is just as good as yours. We'll allow them to pay their subscription/green fees and play thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:54 pm 

You’d be better off smothering them with a pillow and putting them out of their misery.

I might not be entirely serious.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:13 pm 

henry wrote:
You’d be better off smothering them with a pillow and putting them out of their misery.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:07 pm 

booji boy wrote:
henry wrote:

He's just jealous, as they can sink a 2 footer under pressure.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm 

Golf courses in Portugal opened today ✊🏽

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:06 am 

Should be into day 5 of week long golf trip to Le Touquet in France. Been brilliant golf weather all week there. To say I am pissed off is a feckin understatement. To make things worse it has been brilliant golf weather at home in Embra all week too and all I can do is take a stroll round the course and see how nice it looks. Non golfers just dont appreciate the sacrifice we golfers make to protect them from this feckin virus! I think we should all be given medals and an extra 2 weeks holiday to make up for lost time.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 am 

eugenefraxby wrote:
Golf courses in Portugal opened today ✊🏽

Bastardo. :x

We were due to fly to Faro this morning for 5 days golf.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:16 pm 

Played my first game in 6 weeks on Monday and was it was a train wreck. Broke my 5 iron in half on my backswing and lost nearly a ball per hole.
Today was great, some of the biggest drives I've ever hit. Might be something to do with the extra weight I've put on. :blush:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:21 pm 

Zico wrote:
Played my first game in 6 weeks on Monday and was it was a train wreck. Broke my 5 iron in half on my backswing and lost nearly a ball per hole.
Today was great, some of the biggest drives I've ever hit. Might be something to do with the extra weight I've put on. :blush:

Where are you if courses are open?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:50 pm 

Last edited by Zico on Thu May 07, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:24 pm 

henry wrote:

Not entirely ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:26 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
booji boy wrote:
henry wrote:

He's just jealous, as they can sink a 2 footer under pressure.

Oh and it keeps on giving!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:35 pm 

Zico wrote:

How do you break a 5 iron in your backswing? A tree in the way?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:19 am 

booji boy wrote:
Zico wrote:

Yep it was the follow through that hit the tree, broke a Ping but a mate lent me a TaylorMade from a spare set which has actually been much better for me so I bought the set. The shafts look a bit more sturdy too. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:53 am 

Zico wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Zico wrote:

Yep it was the follow through that hit the tree, broke a Ping but a mate lent me a TaylorMade from a spare set which has actually been much better for me so I bought the set. The shafts look a bit more sturdy too. :)

:lol: Was it a graphite shaft?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:18 am 

The Pings were steel, the TaylorMades are graphite. Playing again tomorrow, hopefully won't have to test them against any trees. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:40 am 

Zico wrote:
The Pings were steel, the TaylorMades are graphite. Playing again tomorrow, hopefully won't have to test them against any trees. :)

What model irons? I'm still playing an old set of Taylormade irons from 2007. I'm tempted to upgrade to something more modern but the lofts on some of these new irons have gone nuts. The lofts on my 4-9 iron would be equivalent to 5-PW or even 6-PW in some of today's models.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:04 am 

Burner bubble, I don't know how old they are.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:12 am 

Zico wrote:

Wow way older than mine! 1995.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:51 am 

booji boy wrote:
Zico wrote:

Haha they don't look like they've been used much in 25 years!

They'll pick up some scars tomorrow though. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:39 am 

Zico wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Zico wrote:

Haha they don't look like they've been used much in 25 years!

They'll pick up some scars tomorrow though. :)

:thumbup: Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:54 am 

booji boy wrote:
Zico wrote:

What model irons? I'm still playing an old set of Taylormade irons from 2007. I'm tempted to upgrade to something more modern but the lofts on some of these new irons have gone nuts. The lofts on my 4-9 iron would be equivalent to 5-PW or even 6-PW in some of today's models.

Agree - its all gone a bit nuts and all to do with advertising ... my irons are longer than your irons! Given up thinking about numbers on the bottom of the club. Best thing I did was have a session on a trackman and worked out how far I hit each club in my set. Still doesn't mean they go straight or as far as they should but thats operator error!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:02 am 

booji boy wrote:
Zico wrote:

Taylor Made donated a full set of Burner Bubbles and TM tour bag to L&B CID in 1998 in order to combat the amount of theft from East Lothian golf clubs. We fitted a tracker in the bag, left them outside the clubhouses and sat and waited. It was always great knocking on doors and asking for our clubs back.

I remember 'borrowing' the Rescue club and think it might still be in the garage somewhere. :blush:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:04 am 

Walked around my course yesterday in Embra. Course looked great and they are obviously beginning to get it ready for opening such as reducing cut hight on greens, closer mowing fairways, cutting various cuts of rough, etc. We have a skeleton staff in place but because there are no golfers they are getting lots of work done in half the time. We have had a problem getting sand and materials from suppliers though as they are closed so we have number of bunkers that were being upgraded over the winter but haven't yet got sand in them to complete the job I reckon it would take about 2-3 days to get course completely ready for golf with a full ground staff on board i.e. final roll and cut of greens, sort out bunkers, get all the advised set up sorted out, etc. Golf course is a great place for hour of exercise, no crowds! However came across a group of 6-7 young guys hiding away on a tee in a quiet part of the course having a few beers together. Couldn't work out if they were members or not but they looked a bit guilty as we strolled past them. As long as they are not damaging the course!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:14 am 

No rush on the bunkers as they won’t be in play.

Just saw the GUI protocols and they are leaving it up to individual clubs to decide on group sizes, but have told them that if the timesheet has 10 minute spacing it will be restricted to single players, 12 minute spacing will be groups of 2, and 14 minute spacing will be groups of 3. Clubs can only go with one model, so I’d imagine most will go with the two or three player option. There is also a clause that clubs must ensure the balls must be easily retrienve from the cup so I expect they’ll invert the cups.

Have been walking our course and the greens look superb, with the fairways crisping up nicely after six weeks without rain, and a lot of sun and wind.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:17 am 

dpedin wrote:
Walked around my course yesterday in Embra. Course looked great and they are obviously beginning to get it ready for opening such as reducing cut hight on greens, closer mowing fairways, cutting various cuts of rough, etc. We have a skeleton staff in place but because there are no golfers they are getting lots of work done in half the time. We have had a problem getting sand and materials from suppliers though as they are closed so we have number of bunkers that were being upgraded over the winter but haven't yet got sand in them to complete the job I reckon it would take about 2-3 days to get course completely ready for golf with a full ground staff on board i.e. final roll and cut of greens, sort out bunkers, get all the advised set up sorted out, etc. Golf course is a great place for hour of exercise, no crowds! However came across a group of 6-7 young guys hiding away on a tee in a quiet part of the course having a few beers together. Couldn't work out if they were members or not but they looked a bit guilty as we strolled past them. As long as they are not damaging the course!

I would imagine the staff have just about been working full time right through. I know they have at mine. Greens would have had to be kept rolled and cut during the lockdown

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:53 am 

BlackMac wrote:
dpedin wrote:

I would imagine the staff have just about been working full time right through. I know they have at mine. Greens would have had to be kept rolled and cut during the lockdown

It looks like our greens have been kept slightly longer than normal and we have been using time off to put on additional treatments etc. We had our usual spring greens maintenance week about a week or two before lock down and that has worked out perfect timing as greens have had more time than usual to develop.

On separate note me and mate were discussing the impact of having no US/European visitors to Scotland this year. In particular I was reading about the new Dumbarnie course in Fife in the Hootsmon. They were due to open next week but obviously postponed and article said all their US bookings have cancelled so timesheet for summer is now empty. We reckon a number of courses that depend on high spending yanks like Castle Stuart, Kingsbarns, Gleneagles, Fairmont, Trump (will never play it even if it is £1 a round!) etc will really struggle for income this year and as a result there might be some real bargains to be had in a few months time. The Open courses will probably be ok but there might be more tee availability for us locals. We were hoping to see some good deals at a lot of courses that will be desperate to get some income in from local/Scottish golfers. I semi retire at end of July so am hoping for a few months of cheap golf!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:58 am 

dpedin wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
dpedin wrote:

It looks like our greens have been kept slightly longer than normal and we have been using time off to put on additional treatments etc. We had our usual spring greens maintenance week about a week or two before lock down and that has worked out perfect timing as greens have had more time than usual to develop.

On separate note me and mate were discussing the impact of having no US/European visitors to Scotland this year. In particular I was reading about the new Dumbarnie course in Fife in the Hootsmon. They were due to open next week but obviously postponed and article said all their US bookings have cancelled so timesheet for summer is now empty. We reckon a number of courses that depend on high spending yanks like Castle Stuart, Kingsbarns, Gleneagles, Fairmont, Trump (will never play it even if it is £1 a round!) etc will really struggle for income this year and as a result there might be some real bargains to be had in a few months time. The Open courses will probably be ok but there might be more tee availability for us locals. We were hoping to see some good deals at a lot of courses that will be desperate to get some income in from local/Scottish golfers. I semi retire at end of July so am hoping for a few months of cheap golf!

I've really got little or no sympathy for some of these new, exclusive courses and the eye watering prices they are charging. Feck them, I would rather give my money to those that haven't been gouging like hell over the years.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:30 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
dpedin wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
dpedin wrote:

I've really got little or no sympathy for some of these new, exclusive courses and the eye watering prices they are charging. Feck them, I would rather give my money to those that haven't been gouging like hell over the years.

Not sure when our course will reopen but got a letter from this years captain warning that clubs' finances are going to be tight all across Ireland.

Having held the Open last year, our overseas booking were over £1m for this year, all of which have been cancelled.

I can forsee that this year's green fees being slashed ( currently £240/round) to try to get a lot more Irish bookings, I can't see many golfers coming over from GB anytime soon.

The club are financially sound after the hosting fee from last year, however no word of a reduction in annual subs due the course and clubhouse being closed :lol: .

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:13 pm 

whoop whoop I am teeing off at 12:10 on Wednesday :D

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:19 pm 

Openside wrote:

Not one bit jealous :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:22 pm 

Bogbunny wrote:
Openside wrote:

I could talk you through it afterwards if that will help?? :P

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:16 am 

Openside wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
Openside wrote:

I could talk you through it afterwards if that will help?? :P

Allow me to talk you through my two rounds these last two weekends ... hole by hole

1st tee, got under it, skyed it, didn't make the ladies and lost my ball in the rough. But all was not lost. Made double with my second ball for a quadruple bogie start.

2nd hole double

3rd hole triple

9th hole birdie

Ok maybe I'll quit while I'm ahead.

The last two weeks we had to play with someone from our own household so I played with my casual golfing wife. Really enjoyable just being out there TBH.

From Thursday we can play as a normal fourball. Booked in Saturday. Can't wait. 🏌️‍♂️⛳

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:18 am 

Course is open.

Nurseries are not.

Sun is shining

I am crying.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 am 

No sign of any let up in the home of golf.

fudge Sturgeon

I reckon a lot of clubs will go to the wall over this, a large number of them were in trouble already and rely on visitor income to keep themselves afloat, that's gone and they will be too.

The older establishment clubs will probably all be fine as will some of the corporate clubs as their backers have probably got deep enough pockets, i would be worried if i was a member of others.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:31 am 

henry wrote:
Course is open.

Nurseries are not.

Sun is shining

I am crying.

I didn’t have you down as the gardening type :P

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:32 am 

First one 3pm tomorrow :nod:
Henners take the bin lid with you, improvise mun 🤨

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:33 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
No sign of any let up in the home of golf.

fudge Sturgeon

I reckon a lot of clubs will go to the wall over this, a large number of them were in trouble already and rely on visitor income to keep themselves afloat, that's gone and they will be too.

The older establishment clubs will probably all be fine as will some of the corporate clubs as their backers have probably got deep enough pockets, i would be worried if i was a member of others.

A lot of clubs were already struggling with dwindling memberships.

We had an awful winter.

And now this.

There is going to be a significant contraction in courses as you suggest.

It may not be such a terrible thing in a way. Fewer courses. Bigger memberships. Better courses and clubs. Maybe.

There is a lot of shite out there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next