Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 8:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official Golf Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:43 am 

henry wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
No sign of any let up in the home of golf.

fudge Sturgeon

I reckon a lot of clubs will go to the wall over this, a large number of them were in trouble already and rely on visitor income to keep themselves afloat, that's gone and they will be too.

The older establishment clubs will probably all be fine as will some of the corporate clubs as their backers have probably got deep enough pockets, i would be worried if i was a member of others.

A lot of clubs were already struggling with dwindling memberships.

We had an awful winter.

And now this.

There is going to be a significant contraction in courses as you suggest.

It may not be such a terrible thing in a way. Fewer courses. Bigger memberships. Better courses and clubs. Maybe.

There is a lot of shite out there.

Whilst I agree with the extended lock down up here to get R down I am pissed off about the golf. I suspect we are a week or two away.

My club has been ok financially with a nearly full membership and not dependant on visitors. We have managed to reduce costs via furlough scheme and have helped pro through putting cash 'on account' for future purchases and the caterer by supporting his carry out and fozen food temp business. However biggest worry is the potential loss of members subs due to folk struggling with their own finances. We will survive but it will be tight for a while and a few savings will be required. On a sadder note we must be running at one member death a week, lost a number of the older members recently, I presume to Covid19? Last one the funeral party drove a loop through the club car park so self distancing members could come and pay respects.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:43 am 

henry wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

fudge Sturgeon

I reckon a lot of clubs will go to the wall over this, a large number of them were in trouble already and rely on visitor income to keep themselves afloat, that's gone and they will be too.

The older establishment clubs will probably all be fine as will some of the corporate clubs as their backers have probably got deep enough pockets, i would be worried if i was a member of others.

We had an awful winter.

And now this.

It may not be such a terrible thing in a way. Fewer courses. Bigger memberships. Better courses and clubs. Maybe.

Let's not get too radical old boy, still need to keep the riff raff out.

But yes, less medicore clubs and courses.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:46 am 

dpedin wrote:
henry wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

fudge Sturgeon

We had an awful winter.

And now this.

Whilst I agree with the extended lock down up here to get R down I am pissed off about the golf. I suspect we are a week or two away.

My club has been ok financially with a nearly full membership and not dependant on visitors. We have managed to reduce costs via furlough scheme and have helped pro through putting cash 'on account' for future purchases and the caterer by supporting his carry out and fozen food temp business. However biggest worry is the potential loss of members subs due to folk struggling with their own finances. We will survive but it will be tight for a while and a few savings will be required. On a sadder note we must be running at one member death a week, lost a number of the older members recently, I presume to Covid19? Last one the funeral party drove a loop through the club car park so self distancing members could come and pay respects.

I might be wrong but I think our membership, given their age profile, have been remarkably resilient and we’ve not lost many.

That said, and with purely their health in mind, I hope they stay away from the club until a vaccine is found.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:36 am 

henry wrote:

I might be wrong but I think our membership, given their age profile, have been remarkably resilient and we’ve not lost many.

That said, and with purely their health in mind, I hope they stay away from the club until a vaccine is found.

Your club like mine has an older membership but that's the way with golf at the moment in terms of general trends.

I think the vaccine is wishful thinking, given we have apparently never had one for a coronavirus, a lot of our older lads will undoubtedly just want to take their chances and let the chips fall as they may. Not aware of us having lost any through this and we usually get the updates coming in when they die of other stuff in normal years.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:51 am 

Saturday morning 10.20am
Back in the land of the golfer!!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:57 am 

Is having a pre chilled beer whilst loading clubs back in to the car acceptable?

Heard somewhere about getting there at tee off time, and having to leave immediately.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:39 pm 

Yourmother wrote:
Is having a pre chilled beer whilst loading clubs back in to the car acceptable?

Heard somewhere about getting there at tee off time, and having to leave immediately.

Arrive 15 minutes before and leave immediately.
We might go to the adjacent park

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:43 pm 

Surely a cold beer down first fairway is the answer?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:11 pm 

It’s strange, this one suggests club houses open?

Quote:
AFTER THE GAME:
• Handling of scorecards is a vulnerability, especially for staff members tasked with checking cards and finalising results. Arrange for this to be done online where possible
• Adjust your catering provision to reduce physical contact through greater space between seating in the clubhouse if possible
• Use disposable plates and cups, have hand washing facilities available on every table
• Hand sanitisers should be made available throughout the clubhouse.
• Regular changing of towels in bathrooms (advice recommends every hour) would be required and regular cleaning of surfaces including door handles.
• Society bookings where food and social interaction is involved afterwards should be limited in accordance with the latest guidance.

https://www.pga.info/media/2639/coronav ... nce-v2.pdf

Yet this one says to f’off immediately.

Quote:
d. After the Round
Remind golfers that social distancing is as important after a round as it is during the round, so when the round is over they must leave the course and the club/facility immediately so that there are no gatherings around the clubhouse area

https://www.randa.org/News/2020/04/Golf ... strictions

Both have r & a on them.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:08 pm 

We will be following instructions to the letter.
Not a time to try and bend the rules.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:16 pm 

Gareth1960 wrote:
We will be following instructions to the letter.
Not a time to try and bend the rules.

Which ones?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:27 pm 

As a temporary measure and to assist social distancing, ‘Tee times’ will be introduced at 10 minute
intervals and a maximum of 2 players per tee time. You must have a booked tee time to play, if you
arrive at the club without one, you will be asked to leave. There is to be no play outside of the booked
tee times.
Tee times are bookable online via the Golf Genius link below, not via the RM-S website or our usual
Intelligent Golf service. With demand for online bookings country wide at unprecedented levels, this
is the most robust service we can offer. Use the 'Book Tee Time' option on the menu, enter your name
and then verify your ID with your membership number. You will then be able to view all available
days/courses for booking. Please remember that to try and cope with the initial demand for tee times
you must only play twice a week. The booking week will initially start on a Friday and end on the
following Thursday.

This is a short-term measure only and will be withdrawn as soon as it is practicable.
If you are in a vulnerable group and if you have received a letter from your Local Authority and / or
NHS, please let the club know.
B. Course Set Up
• On-Course Items
o All rakes are removed from the bunkers, players please smooth sand with feet/club post
shot
o Ball washers and drinking fountains covered up.
o Benches and bins removed or covered up, so please make sure to take away any litter with
you.
o All other removable items have been removed, except stakes defining areas of the course
which will be treated as immovable obstructions.
o Once a hole is completed, the group in front must have exited the next tee area before
players can progress to the next hole.
o Do not double back to play again if a ball is lost, unplayable, or in a penalty area.
Equipment, food, and drink must not be exchanged between players.
o Players must not pick up another player’s equipment or golf ball.
o Players must refrain from handshakes or other social gestures.
• Hole and Flagstick
o Flagsticks retained but are not to be touched.
o The hole liner has been inserted upside down so that the ball can be easily be removed.
• Practice Areas
o Practice areas, including the chipping green, practice nets and putting green will be closed.
C. Arrival and waiting to play
The Clubhouse, locker room facilities and indoor trolley shed will be closed. The halfway house toilet
will be the only toilet facility open for use.
Ample car parking spaces are available to ensure social distancing – please leave one space between
vehicles where at all possible.
o Upon arrival at the Club, please change your shoes in the car park and only make your way
to the tee no more than 5 minutes before your tee time. A marshal in the car park will check
your tee time and direct you to the right for access to the JHT (1st) & PB (10th) or to the left,
to the rear of the clubhouse to the PB (1st). Please follow any signs or directions when making
your way to the tee.
o Please observe the social distancing lines by your starting tee and wait to be called by the
starter. If your playing partner doesn’t turn up on time, please tee off as a one ball. Your
partner may not join you once you have teed off.
o The Pro Shop remains closed and therefore no electric trolleys or pull trolleys are available
for hire.
The outdoor trolley shed will be open for anyone who stores their trolley here. Please exercise
social distancing if collecting/returning your trolley.
D. During the round
Please adhere to social distancing at all times and keep at least 2 metres apart during the round.
NOT NECESSARY IF IN A HOUSEHOLD GROUP
• Teeing Areas
o Please keep 2 metres apart when teeing off.
• General
o Please stay more than 2 metres apart when walking to the ball, searching for a ball and
playing shots.
o Please do not touch stray balls.
• Pace of Play
o In order for this to work as well as possible, please be aware of your pace of play. It will be
frustrating for all if a group does not keep up with the group in front.
If you lose a ball, please leave it and move on. Do not call through the group behind.
E. After the Round
o Observe social distancing always and resist the temptation to mingle.
o Remember, lockers cannot be accessed to store belongings.
o All players must exit the course as quickly as possible after their round is complete and
without undue delay. When you exit the course after play, please keep away from the
Clubhouse and go back to the main car park via the road from the overflow car park.
o Players must call or email the golf club with any post-round health issues or COVID-19
related queries, at the earliest possible opportunity and in the strictest confidenc

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:31 pm 

Last two weekends I played under lockdown level 3. No pins, no rakes in bunker, only in pairs with someone from your household. This week it's level 2 and close to normal whilst observing social distancing. I'm not sure what the story is with cards? Presume we mark our own rather than swap them. But what about handing them in afterwards? Perhaps we should just announce our score to the scorer from a safe distance then burn them? I really need to find out.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:15 am 

First knock in a while today. Excited like a pig in poo.

Been absolute carnage at our place securing a time. Every slot booked every day for a week. Hoping the novelty will wear off for some.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:03 pm 

Just 6 cars in car park when I played yesterday. Plus the course is spectacularly defined. Best I’ve seen it in 40 years.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:09 pm 

4 blisters on the feet, 3 lost balls, two thinned wedges (including one into the clubhouse) and one shank.

A great morning well spent.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:42 pm 

I have played twice in the last three days - Fark me it is exhausting I have no golf fitness at all - I fell asleep in the afternoon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:59 pm 

Openside wrote:
I have played twice in the last three days - Fark me it is exhausting I have no golf fitness at all - I fell asleep in the afternoon

My feet have no golf fitness. They’re in absolute bits.

Still, it was great out and about and have a whack. As per usual, hit the ball superbly immediately despite not having played for the best part of two months. Then, having warmed up and got in the groove, went rapidly down hill. Spraying the call everywhere and hitting the ball like an absolute cnut. Ridiculous game.

Still, already looking forward to next Saturday.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:46 pm 

Went for a walk with the dog today around Royal Birkdale.
The car park was rammed and loads of people were having a round.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:40 pm 

Bimboc69 wrote:
Went for a walk with the dog today around Royal Birkdale.
The car park was rammed and loads of people were having a round.

Clubs are pretty much restricted to pairs and singles. Going off at 10 minute intervals. As such, it’s hard to get more than 36 on the course at anyone time I’d think. I’d be surprised if Birkdale were flaunting said directives given little upside and a fairly substantial downside - Christ, even we have marshals out and we’re as relaxed as it gets. If they were taking the piss, you should haves word. That part of the world has enough issues without a golf club becoming a pandemic nexus.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:14 pm 

henry wrote:
Openside wrote:

Still, it was great out and about and have a whack. As per usual, hit the ball superbly immediately despite not having played for the best part of two months. Then, having warmed up and got in the groove, went rapidly down hill. Spraying the call everywhere and hitting the ball like an absolute cnut. Ridiculous game.

Not jealous at all, dicks

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 pm 

henry wrote:
Openside wrote:

This is golf exactly. No seeming predictions as to how a round is going to go. And oddly a bit of time off seems to create temporary form.

Playing next Thursday. Then having a picnic (beer) at a nearby location.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:58 pm 

Out at 9.30 Monday in a three ball, with 14 minute intervals, and restricted to 9 holes per day max for the first week until the initial rush is over. You can book for either the front or back nine, and I reckon with the size and age profile of our membership we’ll be back to 18 holes in a week. Really looking forward to the golf and shite talking.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:01 pm 

Lenny wrote:
Out at 9.30 Monday in a three ball, with 14 minute intervals, and restricted to 9 holes per day max for the first week until the initial rush is over. You can book for either the front or back nine, and I reckon with the size and age profile of our membership we’ll be back to 18 holes in a week. Really looking forward to the golf and shite talking.

I'm outside the 5km. I can go down and work on the course but I can't fúcking play. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:10 pm 

1st game as a normal 4 ball yesterday. Surprisingly hit a superb 1st tee shot. 1st guy hits his approach shot from a long way back to a pin tucked right, back and it rolls to about 3 feet from the pin. We all applaud, "Great shot mate!" 2nd guy hits and it rolls to a similarly handy position. There are further oohs and ahs! I hit my approach and stick it beside the pin! By now we're all laughing suggesting we should have a month off golf more often. 4th guy hits and his ball bounces on the fringe and I'm literally willing it to roll onto the green and get amongst our balls but it stays on the fringe. Two birdies and two pars to start the round.

Unfortunately that was an utter fluke and it was downhill from there but a great 1st hole to play after 7 weeks of lockdown. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:49 pm 

I miss playing golf. No excuse to start again now.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:05 am 

henry wrote:
Openside wrote:

Golf fitness is an odd thing. I have an extremely physical job and generally i'm on the go all day, every day. I cycle and would think nothing of heading to the hills for a 20 mile hike. Essentially I am very fit and strong for my age.

I only golf about a dozen times a year now, but I am usually totally chin strapped by the end of the round.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:39 am 

I've been walking part of my course a couple of times a week. Walk 16 holes, tee to green, about 3 and a half miles and it takes about hour and a half. Its not the flattest and has a few steep climbs. Bit knackered by the end but getting better. Need to get in shape for the courses opening again!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:20 pm 

booji boy wrote:
1st game as a normal 4 ball yesterday. Surprisingly hit a superb 1st tee shot. 1st guy hits his approach shot from a long way back to a pin tucked right, back and it rolls to about 3 feet from the pin. We all applaud, "Great shot mate!" 2nd guy hits and it rolls to a similarly handy position. There are further oohs and ahs! I hit my approach and stick it beside the pin! By now we're all laughing suggesting we should have a month off golf more often. 4th guy hits and his ball bounces on the fringe and I'm literally willing it to roll onto the green and get amongst our balls but it stays on the fringe. Two birdies and two pars to start the round.

Unfortunately that was an utter fluke and it was downhill from there but a great 1st hole to play after 7 weeks of lockdown. :)

1st on Wednesday, drove the 1st green. Whatsapped the photo to all the lads.
3 jabbed. Didn’t post that....

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:22 pm 

I am pleased to report Royal Birkdale was much quieter today :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:41 pm 

eugenefraxby wrote:
booji boy wrote:

1st on Wednesday, drove the 1st green. Whatsapped the photo to all the lads.
3 jabbed. Didn’t post that....

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:17 pm 

Playing first round in 8 weeks of glorious weather tomorrow morning and we are having a full blown storm at the moment. The fcuking house might just well down, but I’ll still be on the first tee at 9.24 tomorrow morning. :x

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:53 pm 

Get in!!

Golf courses in NI can reopen. :D :D :D

Chomping at the club booking page, but not yet taking bookings.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:17 am 

Weather had improved this morning, and we played our nine holes in dry but windy conditions. Course is in stunning nick, but the greens were very slow despite looking superb. Not sure what it is about playing after a big break but, like Booji Boy, I drilled my first drive down the middle of the fairway, and I went on to strike the ball as well as I’ve ever done. Except of course for my putting, which was pitiful, but I’m blaming on the slow greens. :blush: Back out for another nine holes on Wednesday, and hopefully we’ll be allowed to play the full course next week, but even with nine holes it’s brilliant to be back.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:10 am 

Lenny wrote:
Weather had improved this morning, and we played our nine holes in dry but windy conditions. Course is in stunning nick, but the greens were very slow despite looking superb. Not sure what it is about playing after a big break but, like Booji Boy, I drilled my first drive down the middle of the fairway, and I went on to strike the ball as well as I’ve ever done. Except of course for my putting, which was pitiful, but I’m blaming on the slow greens. :blush: Back out for another nine holes on Wednesday, and hopefully we’ll be allowed to play the full course next week, but even with nine holes it’s brilliant to be back.

I drilled my drive on the 1st and stuck my approach next to the pin but the rest of the round was a decidedly mixed bag. The greens were in superb nick so I have no excuse whatsoever for a very average putting display.

But hey! Who cares? It was just great being back out there. 😎 🏌️‍♂️⛳

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 pm 

Got tee bookings for tomorrow, Thursday and Sunday for 18 holes at 148 Open venue.

Weather quite good , loads of balls packed. Can't feckin wait :D

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:31 pm 

I'm developing a strong dislike for many of you at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 am 

themaddog wrote:

Aaaaaaarrrrgghhh! Perfect weather for a quick 18 holes here in Embra. Whats the odds on the wettest summer in history starting in a week or two time?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:26 am 

dpedin wrote:
themaddog wrote:

Aaaaaaarrrrgghhh! Perfect weather for a quick 18 holes here in Embra. Whats the odds on the wettest summer in history starting in a week or two time?

Beautiful up here too. Was walking the course on Sunday and it was flat calm, one of those very rare days on our links track and all the more frustrating that we cant have a knock.

Fed up with Sturgeon and her grandstanding on this as it defies any logic, same goes for the anglers and garden centres.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:56 am 

4th game in 8 days today - bizarrely can't say I am loving it. I seem to have turned into an old lady with a drive like a sparrows kick :blush:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next