Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 10:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
 Post subject: Re: Official Golf Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:22 am 

Openside wrote:
4th game in 8 days today - bizarrely can't say I am loving it. I seem to have turned into an old lady with a drive like a sparrows kick :blush:

:?

:P

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:27 pm 

My lack of golf fitness is killing me
I feel broken

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:44 pm 

How are you guys finding it without the competitive element, as in i believe there are still no medals etc?

That's what makes me tick when playing, beating yourself so to speak and no better way than in competitions. That and playing new courses but both these elements have been removed from the game so it is just more practice for now, albeit better than what we have up here.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:34 am 

First game for me today. I can’t wait!

But I might have inadvertently picked the hottest bastard of a day.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:58 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
How are you guys finding it without the competitive element, as in i believe there are still no medals etc?

That's what makes me tick when playing, beating yourself so to speak and no better way than in competitions. That and playing new courses but both these elements have been removed from the game so it is just more practice for now, albeit better than what we have up here.

Played yesterday and enjoyed it, but without a card in your pocket, or a fourball match, there is definitely a feeling of drift about the game, even over 9 holes. A threeball is also definitely preferable to a twoball in terms of banter.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 am 

Anyone pick up any lost balls and put them in your bag?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 am 

Whats the odds for when the courses are allowed to open in Gods Own Country then? Im hoping Wee Nic is fed up of the torrent of emails from golfers and goes for a Monday 25th opening. I would imagine the SGU has had a wee nod of the head and a quiet word has maybe gone out to start getting ready to open? I could cope with later in the week if courses need more time to prepare. Will be setting alarm to book tee time once sheets are open.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:24 am 

Lenny wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Played yesterday and enjoyed it, but without a card in your pocket, or a fourball match, there is definitely a feeling of drift about the game, even over 9 holes. A threeball is also definitely preferable to a twoball in terms of banter.

I think I’m relatively fortunate in that I’m not the most competitive golfer. I enjoy playing for the sake of hitting it. Scoring matters, obviously. And I remain bizarrely determined to lower my handicap but I’ve always just enjoyed hitting golf balls. I think I take more pleasure in a good ball-striking but poor scoring round than vice versa and after playing so little golf in the past 6 months, I enjoyed just going out and trying to get some sort of swing and coordination together. Which is fortunate because I scored like an absolute bellend.

Booked in to play Saturday and already eyeing some lessons.

If the nurseries reopen, hoping to play 3 times a week.

Course is pretty much fully booked 0830-1900 7 days in advance at the moment. Hoping the novelty wears off or back injuries begin taking a toll.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:26 pm 

dpedin wrote:
Whats the odds for when the courses are allowed to open in Gods Own Country then? Im hoping Wee Nic is fed up of the torrent of emails from golfers and goes for a Monday 25th opening. I would imagine the SGU has had a wee nod of the head and a quiet word has maybe gone out to start getting ready to open? I could cope with later in the week if courses need more time to prepare. Will be setting alarm to book tee time once sheets are open.

Looks like Thursday next week? Depends on clubs I suppose but getting excited now.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:58 pm 

dpedin wrote:
dpedin wrote:

Looks like Thursday next week? Depends on clubs I suppose but getting excited now.

Had an email from our GM yesterday telling the members to stop pestering him about our online booking system as he has taken it down on purpose. Obviously some were getting far too trigger happy in trying to book a time.

We have a smallish membership so i dont expect it to be that difficult to get a time, maybe initially as everyone will be at it but expect the early rush to die off pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 pm 

Lenny wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Have played twice in the evenings after work, really enjoyed it. Played amongst ourselves to keep it competitive so still fun. I think closed comps can start in the 2nd phase on June 8th.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:20 pm 

Just back from my second round in two days.

Played the 18th off the Open tee.

Cross wind, long drive, 6 iron into 12 feet, sank for a bird. Up yours Shane!

Otherwise very mixed round, lost 3 balls, found 4 (antiseptic wipe and into the bag)😁

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:47 am 

Bogbunny wrote:

Otherwise very mixed round, lost 3 balls, found 4 (antiseptic wipe and into the bag)😁

What are the rules up there, we are not allowed play 18 holes and have to have 15 minute gaps between groups. Also have to live within 5km of club but not sure that is quite been adhered to. Internal Comps to start next phase 8th June.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:29 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:

What are the rules up there, we are not allowed play 18 holes and have to have 15 minute gaps between groups. Also have to live within 5km of club but not sure that is quite been adhered to. Internal Comps to start next phase 8th June.

We are already down to 8 minute tee off times and allowed to bring guests.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:38 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:

3 balls at 14 minute intervals full 18 holes on both courses. No restriction on distance travelled, members only. Friendly games only, no competitions, clubhouse and shop closed apart from the locker room toilet. Checked in at main gate and first tee.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 pm 

Nearly thirty new members this week. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:07 pm 

Bogbunny wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:

3 balls at 14 minute intervals full 18 holes on both courses. No restriction on distance travelled, members only. Friendly games only, no competitions, clubhouse and shop closed apart from the locker room toilet. Checked in at main gate and first tee.

The tee time spacing is a GUI directive, and individual clubs are allowing 9 or 18 holes depending on pressure on the timesheet. We’re limited to 9 holes currently, but would expect that to change in a week or so as demand subsides a bit. We can only book a tee time two days in advance as well at present, but I think the committee is actually looking at the whole thing on Monday,

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 pm 

Really paying for not having a proper membership anywhere.

Anyone in Auckland have a recommendation for a club that can fast track a membership while we're in level 2?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 pm 

I will go for a walk with the dog around Royal Birkdale later and perhaps Hillside tomorrow.
The courses are looking very well kept.
However I doubt many will be out as we are having 50mph gusts

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 pm 

Golf's latest term- A Dominic Cummings, a long drive that's out of bounds.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:30 pm 

themaddog wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:05 am 

themaddog wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:47 am 

9 holes booked for Friday and then 9 on Saturday here in Embra. Booked round on Thursday night when sheet opened and on Friday night ended up in hospital with a blood clot on the lungs! However after a short 3 night stay in hospital everything is fine and I'm back out and ready to swing a club. I will however will need a buggy as I couldn't walk 9 holes at the moment. Forecast is excellent and looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:35 pm 

Booked for 18 on Saturday, fingers crossed the weather is good as its been bloody frustrating not playing when it has been so good.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:31 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Booked for 18 on Saturday, fingers crossed the weather is good as its been bloody frustrating not playing when it has been so good.

Enjoy.......I think the weather is due to be good for the next while.

Teed off this afternoon in 26 degree sunshine... feckin unheard of on the North Coast. Absolutely knackered.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:02 am 

Bogbunny wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Enjoy.......I think the weather is due to be good for the next while.

Teed off this afternoon in 26 degree sunshine... feckin unheard of on the North Coast. Absolutely knackered.

Cheers

Well today is a scorcher but with our infamous weather that could easily change but fingers crossed it holds

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109