The PR Book Thread

All things Rugby
Nieghorn

Re: The PR Book Thread

Post by Nieghorn »

Might be of interest:

Interview with the author: https://alondonjournal.net/2019/09/01/s ... -richards/
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Just started this.. so far just as good as the previous in the series

Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

A recommendation from the Literary Review newsletter:
Three Cheers for Thurrock
Excellent Essex: In Praise of England’s Most Misunderstood County
By Gillian Darley
Old Street 342pp £14.99

What does Essex mean to you? Is it the gritty clubs and bars of Romford or the boy racers hurtling through Epping Forest in a cloud of exhaust fumes? Is it Norman Tebbit, archetypal Essex man? Or is it the thatched cottages of Constable country, the mudflats of the Thames Estuary and the renaissance palaces of Beaulieu and Audley End? Paul Lay leads a tour through a much-maligned county. [Read]
https://literaryreview.co.uk/three-cheers-for-thurrock
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
camroc1 wrote: Just started "Promise me You'll Shoot Yourself : The Downfall of Ordinary Germans in 1945" by Florian Huber.

It's pretty bloody depressing already and I'm only 60 pages in. But rivetting reading, and essential, I think, to understand post war Germany.
This does sound interesting. How is it going?
Sorry, only saw this now.

It is very good, and traces how the German people embraced Hitler, how propaganda shaped their views right through to the suicide 'epidemic' at wars end.

I've also just finished this :

Essential reading if you want to understand Brexit, how the UK got there, and why the EU takes the positions it does.
tabascoboy

Post by tabascoboy »

HKCJ wrote:Just started this.. so far just as good as the previous in the series

:thumbup: Had no idea this was due out, not long read 'London Rules'.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

camroc1 wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
camroc1 wrote: Just started "Promise me You'll Shoot Yourself : The Downfall of Ordinary Germans in 1945" by Florian Huber.

It's pretty bloody depressing already and I'm only 60 pages in. But rivetting reading, and essential, I think, to understand post war Germany.

It is very good, and traces how the German people embraced Hitler, how propaganda shaped their views right through to the suicide 'epidemic' at wars end.
Cheers!

:thumbup:
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Finally read Red Notice there.
Went through it in almost one sitting.

I know it's grim subject matter, bit it reads like a thriller.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Anyone read the Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitch? Just finished the first one and about to start the second. I'm usually wary of series like this but the writing is top notch, very amusing.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Only getting around to reading the great North road now, read all his stuff in no particular order.
Glorious day sitting in the garden reading.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

Dobbin wrote:Anyone read the Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitch? Just finished the first one and about to start the second. I'm usually wary of series like this but the writing is top notch, very amusing.
I've read the first few (three perhaps) a few years ago. Not bad books and have some unexpectedly gruesome bits in them. I've been meaning to pick up the next one, but never get round to it,
globus

Post by globus »

I'm just waiting for this to arrive.

Platform Seven (From the Sunday Times Bestselling Author of Apple Tree Yard)
by Louise Doughty

It's actually based around Peterborough station, which is just up the road, hence my interest.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Dobbin wrote:Anyone read the Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitch? Just finished the first one and about to start the second. I'm usually wary of series like this but the writing is top notch, very amusing.
They're good fun
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

camroc1 wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

I've also just finished this :

Essential reading if you want to understand Brexit, how the UK got there, and why the EU takes the positions it does.
Gonna see if I can try find it today. :thumbup:
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Despite being an avid remainer, that book irked me.

I can't put my finger on exactly and agreed with most of it, but I felt awkward while reading it.

Tbf that cover most of my interactions with camroc on the bored, so no surprise there then.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Read Cormac McCarthys The Road this evening.. read it in one sitting as I couldn’t put it down. Contrary to many opinions I’ve read previously I found it quite beautiful.. I mean yes it’s a depressing apocalyptic shithole of a setting but the overall tone was quite optimistic I felt. Anyway I fcuking lived it.. best book I’ve read this year I think.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Which Phillip Pullman book to start with please.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

lorcanoworms wrote:Which Phillip Pullman book to start with please.
Well the Dark Materials trilogy is the only thing I’ve read by him but I found it hugely overrated. Started ok but trailed off hugely (maybe would have liked it better when I was a kid though)
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

HKCJ wrote:
Well the Dark Materials trilogy is the only thing I’ve read by him but I found it hugely overrated. Started ok but trailed off hugely (maybe would have liked it better when I was a kid though)
Same for me, and they fared worse on a second reading years later.
He Man Rugger Pints

Post by He Man Rugger Pints »

In the past while, have read...

Have had it on the list for years, couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. Never saw the film but was expecting a thoroughly depressing book, it's sad in parts but absolutely hilarious throughout. A child's take on the dirt poor ultra conservative Catholic country Ireland once was. Made me guffaw every few pages.

Followed by this which takes up where Angela's Ashes finishes and covers the start of his life in America. Between the two it tells the Irish emigration story really well. Hadn't planned on it but enjoyed the first so much I jumped into this.

Autobiography. He's an incredibly smart individual and wasn't aware of his early stuff in US and his background. A lot of the stuff covers what you see on TV but it's still entertaining as he put himself in so many absurd situations. Good read and well written, reflects on his relationship with Saville a lot and you can tell it's something that still bothers him.

Read this after Theroux book and it actually touches on a lot of the same themes. Autobiography of a woman who grew up in a batshit Mormon family by a father who was a survivalist, thought the Feds were going to murder his family at any moment etc. She somehow went on to study in Harvard and Cambridge despite being "homeschooled" by a pair of lunatics on a junkyard. Highly recommend.

Read after reading "Prisoners of Geography" by the same author. Preferred Prisoners but this is still quite good, basically a history of flags and what they represent around the world in different countries/areas/continents throughout the past and right up to the present day.
Mr. White

Post by Mr. White »

Can anyone suggest a good/relevant/worth-while book on the history of Iraq? I am not particularly interested in the ancient history period, but a good read on that would work as well. I'd say from the Ottomon period to present would work.

In terms of modern history I think I'll give 'The Modern History of Iraq' by Marr and 'A History of Iraq' by Tripp a read. Any suggestions welcome.
SEAsianExpat

Post by SEAsianExpat »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
Same for me, and they fared worse on a second reading years later.
Agreed. I thought the first half of the first book was sensational, but it began dropping off significantly after that. Never hit those heights again at any point in the remaining 2.5 books, although there were some good moments here and there.

I remember reading that Pullman didn't like to outline or plan ahead, instead preferring to write 'as it happened' by the seat of his pants. It showed ...
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

tabascoboy wrote:
HKCJ wrote:Just started this.. so far just as good as the previous in the series

:thumbup: Had no idea this was due out, not long read 'London Rules'.
should one read them in order?
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

MZ - yes, you need to read them in order, otherwise there are key plot points that won't make any sense, particularly later on.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Ta
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

So I scooted through a few Pullmans and thought they were just ok, finished Tombland by CJ Stander and that was good.
The latest Jack Reacher is awful, I hear Lee Child is getting a mick passport over Brexit.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

lorcanoworms wrote:So I scooted through a few Pullmans and thought they were just ok, finished Tombland by CJ Stander and that was good.
The latest Jack Reacher is awful, I hear Lee Child is getting a mick passport over Brexit.
All Jack Reachers are bloody awful. God knows why it’s so popular when there are Mick Heron books to devour
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Mick Heron "slow horses" up next
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

lorcanoworms wrote:Mick Heron "slow horses" up next
The series gets better as it goes along FYI but slow horses is a nice introduction.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

If anyone likes sci-fi.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

HKCJ wrote:
The series gets better as it goes along FYI but slow horses is a nice introduction.
The short story at the end of Joe Country is as good as Le Carre. I'm assuming he's carrying the series on?
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

6.Jones wrote:Image

If anyone likes sci-fi.
You should put it in the sci-fi thread, Groucho. Will give it a read.
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

Bindi wrote:

If anyone likes sci-fi.
You should put it in the sci-fi thread, Groucho. Will give it a read.
I’ll give it a read.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

If anyone likes sci-fi.
are you the poster formerly known as groucho?
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Brazil wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
The short story at the end of Joe Country is as good as Le Carre. I'm assuming he's carrying the series on?
I read it on my kindle and just checked there isn’t any short story. Looks like a trip to the library for me!

After a bad start to the year I’ve been on a very decent run of late with some belting books. A Gentleman in Moscow, Kill the Father, We Need to Talk about Kevin and The Road all very enjoyable. Started War and Peace this week and without stating the obvious it’s definitely a bit of a slog.. a third of the way through but thankfully it’s far more readable than some other books of that era.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Monk Zombie wrote:

If anyone likes sci-fi.
It's a secret. But yes.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

6.Jones wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:

If anyone likes sci-fi.
It's a secret. But yes.
It is good to have you back

:)
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

6.Jones wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:

If anyone likes sci-fi.
It's a secret. But yes.
Is this book the reason you took a break from PR?
mileendmikey

Post by mileendmikey »

I saw "Rivers of London" books mentioned a few posts ago. I'd highly recommend the audiobooks. Kobna Holdbrook Smith's narration fit the central character really well. Great fun and a fair few interesting historical tidbits-bits about London's history too
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Just finished Gore Vidal's Burr. What a great read. Loved the skewering of Washington, Jefferson and Hamilton - all nations' creation myths deserve this sort of treatment.

I will get Lincoln for Christmas and read it next year.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Halfway through this ... might be difficult to find, but you like MASH, this will be up your alley! I'm still not sure if I believe the author had sex with a WAAF while on a three-quarters-inflated barrage balloon though! :lol:

I think I've only read one bio of a Lancaster bomber crew before, and seem to recall it was all about a mission (or a few). This one has a lot of great stories about every aspect of life so far without much mission time (but it may come later?).