The PR Book Thread

All things Rugby
HKCJ

Re: The PR Book Thread

Post by HKCJ »

For any fans of Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile then I can’t recommend this highly enough. Fantastic book...

Brazil

Post by Brazil »

Dobbin wrote:Just finished Gore Vidal's Burr. What a great read. Loved the skewering of Washington, Jefferson and Hamilton - all nations' creation myths deserve this sort of treatment.

I will get Lincoln for Christmas and read it next year.
Lincoln is brilliant, though Julian remains his best, and possibly the best historical novel ever written.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

not trawling back, but has anyone mentioned a gentleman in moscow by amor towles?

stunningly beautiful book
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Brazil wrote:
Dobbin wrote:Just finished Gore Vidal's Burr. What a great read. Loved the skewering of Washington, Jefferson and Hamilton - all nations' creation myths deserve this sort of treatment.

Lincoln is brilliant, though Julian remains his best, and possibly the best historical novel ever written.
I shall have to get that one as well, then. Lincoln is on the shelf.
not trawling back, but has anyone mentioned a gentleman in moscow by amor towles?

I read it last year. I was a bit torn in that it was very readable - he's a decent writer - but it seemed awfully pleased with itself at times. I kept thinking this isn't the count talking, this is Towles showing us all how clever and sophisticated he is.

Has anybody read The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair? It has glowing reviews all over the cover but I thought it was execrable. Whether it was the translator or Dicker himself, the characters were wooden, the dialogue appalling, and the multiple "twists" at the end so corny you could have popped them in the microwave and spinkled salt over them. Just dreadful.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

I loved Gentleman in Moscow. In fact it was my favourite book I read last year and I read some belters. I did mention it earlier in the thread HH. Keep up :P if you have any other recommendations though let me know.

Harry Quebert affair I read a couple of years ago as a couple of friends were raving about it. I found it pretty meh as well and couldn’t really see what the fuss was about. The same friends raved about the Magpie Murders which was also OK but hardly mind blowing.

Talking of recommendations I do enjoy Goodreads but wish there was a better algorithm for suggesting books I would like. The technology on that site seems stuck to when it first started which is a shame as it has enormous potential. I tend to look for a few reviewers who I enjoy then see what books they’ve liked but even that can be a bit hit and miss.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Monk Zombie wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
HKCJ wrote:Just started this.. so far just as good as the previous in the series

:thumbup: Had no idea this was due out, not long read 'London Rules'.
should one read them in order?
Have now got the first three in this series and read and enjoyed "Slow Horses" - nice recommendation chasps!

Have also dived into an omnibus of Jim Thompson's stuff and what a pleasure that is. Makes Elmore Leonard look like the Hardy Boys. For those unfamiliar with his work, he wrote The Grifters the movie was based on. Do yourselves a favour.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Only now are they beginning to admit American Independence was mainly a French victory.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Anyone read this? Just saw it pop up on Twitter and was tempted.

If there are any essential books on Mossad, I'd be very keen for recommendations.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Ignatius wrote:
Just reading a number of Camilleri's Montalbano books which are nice read
Recently discovered this little trove.

Holiday reading sorted for quite a while now
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Recently finished these two. Absolutely brilliant. Best books I’ve read in a while

Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Found this on Gutenberg - a kind of Spanish Bill Bryson afoot in England in the early 19th century.

Interesting views of everyday life at the time

Letters from England [in 3 Volumes] by Don Manuel Alvarez Espriella

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61122

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61506

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61632
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

For my time in lockdown I might try getting through Alan Moore's Jerusalem - but at 1,400 pages it's a bit daunting.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Just got the new mantel.

Think I'll space this out by rereading the first 2
echo

Post by echo »

HKCJ wrote:Recently finished these two. Absolutely brilliant. Best books I’ve read in a while

Agreed.

Only thing I enjoyed more recently was re-reading I Claudius and Claudius the God. Astonishingly good books.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

happyhooker wrote:Just got the new mantel.

I know the world has gone completely mad but the collective onanistic outpourings over that series may have been the first signs.
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

HKCJ wrote:

I know the world has gone completely mad but the collective onanistic outpourings over that series may have been the first signs.
I really liked the first 2, thought they were really good at capturing what a twunt Henry VIII must have been.

They're not as good as A Place of Greater Safety though.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Cheers echo I shall add those to my isolation list
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

HKCJ wrote:

Strange. We normally have quite similar tastes, but I loved them
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Agreed we do. Most people whose taste I admire seem to absolutely love it and it’s only me and the missus that seem to have really struggled with it.
echo

Post by echo »

Too early for you good folks to enjoy while in lockdown— unless the gloomiest scenarios come to pass but. . . .here is echo's next book— a mega history from the beginnings of life on earth through to the post Covid world. . . ./shameless self promotion/

Separate editions will be coming out in French, Portuguese, German, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Swedish, Lithuanian, Turkish, Spanish, Romanian, Italian, Dutch, Greek, Polish & some others I cant remember.

Fangle

Post by Fangle »

happyhooker wrote:not trawling back, but has anyone mentioned a gentleman in moscow by amor towles?

I thought it was tremendous.

I have also enjoyed Peter May’s Lewis trilogy.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

echo wrote:Too early for you good folks to enjoy while in lockdown— unless the gloomiest scenarios come to pass but. . . .here is echo's next book— a mega history from the beginnings of life on earth through to the post Covid world. . . ./shameless self promotion/

Separate editions will be coming out in French, Portuguese, German, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Swedish, Lithuanian, Turkish, Spanish, Romanian, Italian, Dutch, Greek, Polish & some others I cant remember.
Spoiler: show

Thinly-veiled ‘Fück Denmark’ post.
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

A book I'd really recommend during the isolation period is Fernando Pessoa's The Book of Disquiet. It was published after his death, and made up of small musings on life, often repeating himself in a tangential way, where he's looking at passersby on a street, or eating a dinner, or what sleep or quiet means. It's entirely meditative, gave me a new lease on life, and represents the very fleeting way the world around us happens where we only have our minds to rest on.

Probably the best book I've ever read, which is strange considering it was never really meant to be a book.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

echo wrote:Too early for you good folks to enjoy while in lockdown— unless the gloomiest scenarios come to pass but. . . .here is echo's next book— a mega history from the beginnings of life on earth through to the post Covid world. . . ./shameless self promotion/

:thumbup: I'll get that as well. Like the last purchase I will tell people the author is my lover and I inspired the work
JoeyFantastic

Post by JoeyFantastic »

Just finished "Goodbye to All That" by Robert Graves.

Excellent read, particularly his recollections of Word War 1, which is still completely incomprehensible. Amazing an entire generation went straight from English public schools into trench warfare and (for a large part) early grave.

Even though I knew he was Anglo-Irish (and was briefly stationed in Limerick), never realised he considered himself and described himself as Irish growing up.
slopehead

Post by slopehead »

Any Folio Society nerds out there? Their Spring collection is offering 'Europe' (by Norman Davies) in 3 spectacular looking volumes - I already have a signed copy of the 1997 edition but this looks like a must-have for my library...
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

JoeyFantastic wrote:Just finished "Goodbye to All That" by Robert Graves.

Excellent read, particularly his recollections of Word War 1, which is still completely incomprehensible. Amazing an entire generation went straight from English public schools into trench warfare and (for a large part) early grave.

Even though I knew he was Anglo-Irish (and was briefly stationed in Limerick), never realised he considered himself and described himself as Irish growing up.
+ 1

Phenomenal book.

Think I still have it on.my shelves. Might well be worth a reread
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

slopehead wrote:Any Folio Society nerds out there? Their Spring collection is offering 'Europe' (by Norman Davies) in 3 spectacular looking volumes - I already have a signed copy of the 1997 edition but this looks like a must-have for my library...
Dad bought me a subscription to the folio society many years ago. He stopped when I pointed out 90% of what I got was shit.

I may have hit a bad patch, but it was terrible
Short Man Syndrome

Would appreciate opinions on which, from my gf's library, books I should work through - in order, as I'll have quite a bit of time to go through most of them - while I wait for society to disintegrate to the looting phase:

Siddhartha
Latin America - Noam Chomsky
A Moveable Feast - Hemingway
Hollywood - Gore Vidal

Thanks in advance.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:Would appreciate opinions on which, from my gf's library, books I should work through - in order, as I'll have quite a bit of time to go through most of them - while I wait for society to disintegrate to the looting phase:

Siddhartha
Hollywood - Gore Vidal

Thanks in advance.
Either leave siddhartha till last in the hope that this all blows over, or, if more pessimistic, read it first to get it out of the way. Hesse is appalling imho.
slick

Post by slick »

A few people in the past have asked about books on Africa. Just finished The Rift: A New Africa Breaks Free by Alex Perry. It's very good and doesn't pull any punches in terms of NGO's and Western meddling whilst still finding some good news stories.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:Would appreciate opinions on which, from my gf's library, books I should work through - in order, as I'll have quite a bit of time to go through most of them - while I wait for society to disintegrate to the looting phase:

Siddhartha
Hollywood - Gore Vidal

Thanks in advance.
Have you reead the rest of Vidal's Golden Age series? if not I'd start at the beginning and work forward. Hollywood is one of the weaker ones tbh.
VBall

Post by VBall »

Apart from spending too much time read this bored, my main hobby is photography. One of my mates said look at ebay for large coffee table type photo books. I did and have bought some wonderfully cheap, second hand books. If you can deal with the ... best wishes messages written inside to somebody you have no idea who they are, you can get some great items.

Just got Frans Lanting, Eye-to-Eye and also others on African Safari's and Animals (going in June but that seems highly unlikely now.).
Short Man Syndrome

happyhooker wrote:

Siddhartha
Hollywood - Gore Vidal

Thanks in advance.
Either leave siddhartha till last in the hope that this all blows over, or, if more pessimistic, read it first to get it out of the way. Hesse is appalling imho.
Cheers HH, I felt like I recognised the title/should have known something about it - and it doesn't look like a lengthy tome - but I'll dodge that one for now.

Also cheers Braz - no, I haven't read any Vidal but he seemed like a bright spark in the 'Best of Enemies' doc so I wanted to read some of his ouevre. I'm limited to whatever my gf has on her shelves, I can't find any others so I'll have to make do. Was hoping she'd have some Kurt Vonnegut somewhere as he's another I always wanted to investigate...
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

SMS, why not get an e-reader, then you can download what you want? Or get from the local library using overdrive?
Short Man Syndrome

Fangle wrote:SMS, why not get an e-reader, then you can download what you want? Or get from the local library using overdrive?
Good points, I’m already working my way through Moby Dick on my devices... it was more the fact that there’s a bunch of books on shelves here and I haven’t read any of them. It irks me. Am picking out the ones that look worth reading ie not in Polish and not clearly complete horseshit.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:
Fangle wrote:SMS, why not get an e-reader, then you can download what you want? Or get from the local library using overdrive?
Good points, I’m already working my way through Moby Dick on my devices... it was more the fact that there’s a bunch of books on shelves here and I haven’t read any of them. It irks me. Am picking out the ones that look worth reading ie not in Polish and not clearly complete horseshit.
How are you finding Moby Dick? Seems to alienate a lot of people. I absolutely loved it.
Short Man Syndrome

Love it, such rich language - it’s long and I can see the love/hate battle lines but I’m taking it in chunks so I’m savouring it.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Yeah the prose.... just sensational. I started it with trepidation expecting not to like it but finished it pretty quickly given it's such a hefty old tome.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Moby Dick's an almost delirious experience reading it at times, though that may have been me zoning out.
I still loved it after finishing it though, might give it a re-read during quarantine.

I am presently re-reading Blood Meridian, which I can fly through, just to cheer myself up.