Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PR Book Thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:07 pm 

Moby Dick's an almost delirious experience reading it at times, though that may have been me zoning out.
I still loved it after finishing it though, might give it a re-read during quarantine.

I am presently re-reading Blood Meridian, which I can fly through, just to cheer myself up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:53 pm 

Yeah there was some review I read about Moby Dick that said you don’t really read it you experience it through osmosis and as wanky as it sounds that resonated with me. I can’t say I’ve read a book like it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:57 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
Yeah there was some review I read about Moby Dick that said you don’t really read it you experience it through osmosis and as wanky as it sounds that resonated with me. I can’t say I’ve read a book like it.

That's a good way of describing it tbh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 pm 

Ron Swanson wrote:
“Metaphors? I hate metaphors. That’s why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frufu symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:02 pm 

Shadow Divers

About 2 lads deep sea diving for a U boat. Great combo of action, history and insight to a different world. Terrifying in parts, very enjoyable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:03 pm 

:lol:

He does have some fairly elegant descriptions of whale gore and dismemberment alright.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:22 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
I am presently re-reading Blood Meridian, which I can fly through, just to cheer myself up.

My favourite book. Re-read it a few months ago and it blew me away just as much the second time around. Just a phenomenal piece of work.

While on the subject of wanky reviews, I remember reading somewhere that the American impulse toward apocalyptic thought stems from early settlers who came to a new land and were able to see giant storms rolling toward them across flat, open spaces or descending from the mountaintops.

There are some great reviews of BM on Goodreads, there really is a whole mythos around the book, and McCarthy himself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:33 pm 

PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

My favourite book. Re-read it a few months ago and it blew me away just as much the second time around. Just a phenomenal piece of work.

While on the subject of wanky reviews, I remember reading somewhere that the American impulse toward apocalyptic thought stems from early settlers who came to a new land and were able to see giant storms rolling toward them across flat, open spaces or descending from the mountaintops.

There are some great reviews of BM on Goodreads, there really is a whole mythos around the book, and McCarthy himself.

Hope McCarthy's isolation serves him well in the months ahead.
And yes, I've read BM maybe 4 times now, this being my 5th.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:39 pm 

Having returned from abroad doing the 14 days self loathing and could really do with some escapist stuff, no I don't mean Harry Houdini.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:59 pm 

Just finished Stephen King’s 11-22-63 ... really good, but another of his where I thought choices in the screen version (mini series with James Franco and the stunning Sarah Gadon) were much better!

Rules...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:45 am 

I thought 11-22-63 was pretty crap. Possibly the biggest Deus ex Machina I’ve ever read. Not much of a Stephen King fan all round. I’ve tried..The Stand is OK and Geralds Game and IT were prettt scary as a kid but I don’t get why he is so universally adored.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:56 am 

He's produced some turkeys in his time but when he gets it right I love his stuff. But if you don't really enjoy his stock in trade "lone drifter in a small Maine town where there's at least one drunk, one kiddie beater and one lonely but independent woman aching for company" then most of it's going to leave you cold. I prefer his non pure horror output personally. Thought 11.22.63 was pretty good, and enjoyed Under the Dome last year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:16 pm 

I’m a bug fan of Faith Martin, LJ Ross and have recently been enjoying JD Kirk and Ian CP irving.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:57 pm 

I am half way through David Gemmell`s four book Rigante series. (for the second time) Must say I`m enjoying them again

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:24 pm 

I am half way through David Gemmell`s four book Rigante series. (for the second time) Must say I`m enjoying them again

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:38 am 

GWO2 wrote:

Last year I read every single one of his books back to back then the entire Malazan series + Esslemont books in order.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:57 am 

My wfe was ordering something off Amazon the other day and asked if I'd like anything.

Well, I've just finished a biography on Stalin and thought I'd like to read something by Gorky as I haven't before. I have searched 2nd hand bookshops and normal bookshops but haven't found anything by him available. So she ordered The Mother - I said 2nd hand would be fine.

This morning a f**king Amazon print version arrived. It's like an A4 printed magazine with glossy pages and bound really badly. There is no introduction, no notes, no information on the translation, just a contents page. It's also printed really badly with no line justification. What the fudge! Has anyone else had this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:35 pm 

slick wrote:
My wfe was ordering something off Amazon the other day and asked if I'd like anything.

Well, I've just finished a biography on Stalin and thought I'd like to read something by Gorky as I haven't before. I have searched 2nd hand bookshops and normal bookshops but haven't found anything by him available. So she ordered The Mother - I said 2nd hand would be fine.

This morning a f**king Amazon print version arrived. It's like an A4 printed magazine with glossy pages and bound really badly. There is no introduction, no notes, no information on the translation, just a contents page. It's also printed really badly with no line justification. What the fudge! Has anyone else had this?

Any colouring in?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:10 pm 

Recently finished Ernst Junger's "Storm of Steel". I haven't read a ton from WW1, but this was easily the most graphic account of trench warfare I've read. Assaults involving the continuous hurling of grenades is not something I've seen / read about either. Interesting to read parts where he's describing grass, buds on trees, etc. in spring - not the picture the movies always gives us (1917 aside, I should say).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:03 pm 

slick wrote:

I’ve ordered a few hard backs before supposedly in good condition and have arrived as tatty paperbacks. I think the firms know you probably won’t be arsed to claim a refund.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:45 pm 

Pretending I'm all edumacated and stoic reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. I think it helps me whilst at work, dont think I'm as negative as I used to be :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:29 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
slick wrote:

I’ve ordered a few hard backs before supposedly in good condition and have arrived as tatty paperbacks. I think the firms know you probably won’t be arsed to claim a refund.

Actually, they’ve already refunded the £4 and said not to bother returning the pamphlet.

WINNER :smug:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:11 am 

A few I’ve just finished

God of Small Things - meh. Not a patch on a fine Balance or Midnights Children

The Whisper Man - very decent page turning thriller if you’re after an easy read

Madame Bovary - surprisingly enjoyable. Very readable for a classic.

Rules of Civility - loved it.. not as good as Gentleman in Moscow but still great. Great Gatsby vibe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:11 pm 

Big Game Shooting on the Equator. Not that I am into big game hunting but like boys own adverture stuff.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30370061843&searchurl=x%3D60%26y%3D10%26sortby%3D1%26tn%3DBig%2BGame%2BShooting%2Bon%2Bthe%2BEquator%26an%3DDickinson&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

$800 for a copy....WTF

Or .... https://archive.org/details/biggameshooting00dickgoog/page/n11/mode/2up

I never knew you could read books that libraries have online. So this old book can be read free. Wonder what ever books they have. Wonder if they have Stig of the Dump.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:13 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
A few I’ve just finished

God of Small Things - meh. Not a patch on a fine Balance or Midnights Children

The Whisper Man - very decent page turning thriller if you’re after an easy read

Madame Bovary - surprisingly enjoyable. Very readable for a classic.

Rules of Civility - loved it.. not as good as Gentleman in Moscow but still great. Great Gatsby vibe.

Agree re rules of civility.

Just finished the mirror and the light.
Think she did a decent job, but bloody hell the hardback edition is heavy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:12 pm 

I doubt I will ever find out about the Mirror and the Light and that’s fine by me. After reading that shitty Vonnegut last month my book club ha voted for Milkman this month. I feel it may be time to quit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:22 pm 

I'm just reading "The Witches" by Roald Dahl as my son said it was fantastic. I never read it as a child. Good job too. It would have traumatised me. It may even do so now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:24 pm 

Have just worked my way through the Graham Shelby Templar series of books. Quite enjoyable although I do have an interest in the crusades.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:28 pm 

Started "The Jersey" yesterday off a recommendation from a friend, and seems pretty good so far, not really a typical rugby book from what i've read anyway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:46 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
I doubt I will ever find out about the Mirror and the Light and that’s fine by me. After reading that shitty Vonnegut last month my book club ha voted for Milkman this month. I feel it may be time to quit.

Get out while you still can

Dreadful book

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:05 am 

Just finished re-reading Parting Shots and the follow-up The Spanish Ambassador's Suitcase

Both are collections of 'First Impressions' and 'Valedictory' dispatches by various British ambassadors from the latter part of the 20th century, setting out their views of the countries they were posted to and the people/leaders they encountered (a practice that was banned by the Blair government, as Freedom of Information rules meant the dispatches started to be requested/released and some of them caused some serious diplomatic issues!).

Some of the dispatches and the stories in them are brilliant and both books are a great quick-read before bed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:37 am 

I have a 1965 edition of this:

Heavy but interesting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:52 am 

i have recommended Jim Thompson before

now busy with this; and it is a stunning piece of writing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:28 pm 

In the past couple of weeks I have read:

and

Enjoyed the McEwan - like most of his early stuff that I've read it carries a undercurrent of menace. Until, that is, you get to a chapter that's definitely not for the squeamish.

The Roth was a joy from start to finish. The more of his I read, the more I like them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:16 pm 

Joost wrote:
Just finished re-reading Parting Shots and the follow-up The Spanish Ambassador's Suitcase

Both are collections of 'First Impressions' and 'Valedictory' dispatches by various British ambassadors from the latter part of the 20th century, setting out their views of the countries they were posted to and the people/leaders they encountered (a practice that was banned by the Blair government, as Freedom of Information rules meant the dispatches started to be requested/released and some of them caused some serious diplomatic issues!).

Some of the dispatches and the stories in them are brilliant and both books are a great quick-read before bed.

This sounds right up my street, thanks :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:19 pm 

Quote:
The Roth was a joy from start to finish. The more of his I read, the more I like them.

Hadn't read any Roth until he died. To be perfectly honest I hadn't even heard of him :blush: . Have now read American Pastoral, Indignation and The Great American Novel, absolutely love him, he can almost exhaust you with some passages.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:44 pm 

slick wrote:
Quote:

Hadn't read any Roth until he died. To be perfectly honest I hadn't even heard of him :blush: . Have now read American Pastoral, Indignation and The Great American Novel, absolutely love him, he can almost exhaust you with some passages.

American Pastoral is brilliant. Grim but brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:24 pm 

Set myself a challenge to read 24 books this year, pissing through them so far. Generally don't watch tv and given that the tv I did watch was mainly live sport I'm barely touching the thing.

Been on my to read list since I was a teenager, Tolkien was a genius. Thought the language was brilliant in it and am now working my way through the directors cut movies... lockdown is great.

Haven't seen the movie but enjoyed this quite a lot. Jumps between a diary written by a guy abandoned on a mission on Mars and attempt to rescue him on earth. Easy reading.

Good book to read in current climate. Frankl was a Jewish psychiatrist locked up in concentration camps during WW2. He saw three possible sources of meaning meaning: in work (doing something significant), in love (caring for another person) and in courage during difficult times. Goes into existentialism and frames that against his experience in the camps. Well worth a read.

Easy reading novel about a kid with severe facial deformities settling into life at a new school. Written from the perspective of him, his family and classmates. Thought it was a brilliant read about compassion, will definitely be on the reading list when I have kids.

Well put together and detailed look into the background, build up, carrying out and aftermath of Columbine masacre. Well written but certainly not easy going due to the subject matter. I was about 12 when it happened but didn't really take it in massively at the time, unfortunately set the bar for a lot of what has gone on in US last 20 years. I wasn't aware of how much stuff the two killers had planned that day that fortunately didn't work, the death toll could have been a lot higher. Textbook example of psychopathy.

Farrow did a lot of work in helping to uncover the Weinstein story. It's a brilliant read and comes across as a thriller. I didn't follow it closely at the time so wasn't aware of all the details but probably one of the most shocking things was that NBC squashed the story as they knew sexual assault accusations were hanging over one of their most prominent/senior anchors, Weinstein's tenticles were also everywhere and managed to meddle in everything. He had to leave to the New Yorker to break it. Highly recommend. Also has an interesting frame of reference for the subject as he is Woodie Allen's son (although rumors are that he's Sinatra's lovechild).

Really enjoyed this, it's an anti war science fiction written by Kurt Vonnegut who was a POW in Germany when Dresden was bombed. Written from the perspective of a POW who can time travel and was a POW in Dresden. Quite short and easy reading.

Written by granddaughter of the founder of Westboro Baptist Church, she left the church after realising they were horrible mentallers. Good account of life inside a cult and how they were brainwashed to see their immediate surroundings as normal and everything else as mad. Ultimately it was her interactions on Twitter that began to change her perspective. Founder of the church was originally a civil rights lawer defending black people back in the 1960's so they were never very popular in their area to begin with.

Well worth a read, the guys a hero. Sacrificed his entire life to expose the surveillance state. I hope they'll be building statues of the guy in years to come.

One of the most enjoyable business autobiographies I've read, he's a really good writer and also seems like a surprisingly good guy. Always thought of Nike as a monster corporation but the story behind it is really pretty cool. One of best books I've read recently.

Amazing story about a member of Polish underground who got himself sent into Auschwitz to help uncover what was going on there and get the information out to the West to try and force them to act quickly. Really worth reading.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:25 am 

He Man Rugger Pints wrote:

Amazing story about a member of Polish underground who got himself sent into Auschwitz to help uncover what was going on there and get the information out to the West to try and force them to act quickly. Really worth reading.

The balls on this guy - legendary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:34 am 

Yep, I was reasonably ignorant of what went on in the East of Europe after WW2 beyond the Iron Curtain going up but that really got me in this book. Files on what he did were only declassified in the 90's because he had been loyal to the Polish government in exile. Amazing individual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next