The PR Book Thread

All things Rugby
HKCJ

Re: The PR Book Thread

Post by HKCJ »

An incredible thriller.. Gosford Park on acid. You need to read in one or two sittings because otherwise you just won’t follow all the plot twists. Definitely recommend for Agatha Christie fans
Salix

Post by Salix »

I've been re-reading the Adrian Mole books. So funny.
VBall

Post by VBall »

Thanks for the recommendations... just read Blood Meridian. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
easyray

Post by easyray »

Just finished 'The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred Year old Man' by Jonas Jonasson. Not as good or as funny as the original, but still well worth a read. Also enjoyed 'The Girl who saved the King of Sweden' by the same author.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Tony McGahan wrote:Finished American Gods this morning. Been on my list for a long time (and on my shelf for nearly a year!). It was... ok. I enjoyed it and all, but it was too long, over indulgent at times, and I found the pacing a little off. My favourite bits were probably around the middle, where Gaiman gave the story time to breathe... everything else around it felt a bit rushed and unfocused, IMO. The character of Shadow was also a bit of a non entity too, though I feel that may have been somewhat the point. A strange one, but a weirdly comforting read overall. Might be worth a reread at some time in the future, which is something I rarely do.

I liked the writing enough to give some of Gaiman's other works a go. Suggestions? Other than Sandman which I read in college...
I started this and got as far as the Bilquis chapter.

Holy fück. What have I just read!
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

what are the best contemporary spy books out there, something like le carré but for our times, not the cold war ?

no grisham or lee child please
Joost

Post by Joost »

Akkerman wrote:what are the best contemporary spy books out there, something like le carré but for our times, not the cold war ?

Le Carré has written contemporary novels - you could try Our Kind of Traitor or A Most Wanted Man
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

Sorry, should've specified I read those (everything by Le Carré really) and enjoyed them, looking for something in the same vein
Joost

Post by Joost »

Ah, fair enough! I love Le Carré’s stuff, must get round to watching the BBC adaptation of the Little Drummer Girl at some point
Joost

Post by Joost »

HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Akkerman wrote:what are the best contemporary spy books out there, something like le carré but for our times, not the cold war ?

Have you tried the Slow Horses series by Mick Herron? They are great fun. You’ll find a few fans on here. Actually properly written unlike Lee Child tosh..
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

Not yet, but a quick google shows some promise, also a movie with gary oldman in the works. I'll give the first one a go, cheers :thumbup:
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

HKCJ wrote:

Have you tried the Slow Horses series by Mick Herron? They are great fun. You’ll find a few fans on here. Actually properly written unlike Lee Child tosh..
Would have agreed with you before, Lee Child now has an Irish passport because of Brexit.
So he comes under the protection of the swarm, pal.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Akkerman wrote:Not yet, but a quick google shows some promise, also a movie with gary oldman in the works. I'll give the first one a go, cheers :thumbup:

I didn’t know that. I’m kind of conflicted at that news.. I had always pictured Timothy Spall playing the part of Jackson Lamb (who I assume Oldman will be playing)
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Tom Marcus' books were interesting. Former MI5, not fictional though.
Dog'sbreath

Post by Dog'sbreath »

I'm normally a Marquez, Murakami kind of guy. Just re-read Martin Cruz Smith's Gorky Park. A gem.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

OptimisticJock wrote:

Tom Marcus' books were interesting. Former MI5, not fictional though.
Thanks, will look into it
He Man Rugger Pints

Post by He Man Rugger Pints »

Just finished this, excellent and fairly detailed account of Putin's ascent to his current position and how he has exerted influence in the West. They have absolutely played the West for fools the last decade.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

HKCJ wrote:

Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunter books are excellent - - if anything I enjoyed them more than the Herron series
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

Monk Zombie wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Seconded on Mick Herron.

Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunter books are excellent - - if anything I enjoyed them more than the Herron series
Will have to check out myself.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

He Man Rugger Pints wrote:Image

Just finished this, excellent and fairly detailed account of Putin's ascent to his current position and how he has exerted influence in the West. They have absolutely played the West for fools the last decade.
What's their take on the fall of Yeltsin?
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

He Man Rugger Pints wrote:Image

Added to Kindle for poolside reading.

Can never have enough ammo to wind up the MIL, unreconstructed Stalinist that she is.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Trying to get through The Myth of Sisyphus by Camus.
God it's a slog, when I'm finished I doubt I'll have taken in 30% of what he's saying.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Currently working my way through all of the Jeeves and Wooster books - nice, light bedtime escapism in times like these!

I’ve also just started A Farewell to Arms (likely to be somewhat heavier I suspect!), having loved For Whom the Bell Tolls. Might stick with Hemingway for a bit; everything else seems a bit over-written in comparison to his style!