Everyday Things That Annoy You

All things Rugby
Gwenno

Re: Everyday Things That Annoy You

Post by Gwenno »

The phrase 'there's no such word as 'can't''. OK, I don't hear it everyday, but every time I hear it it annoys me, and not because it stimulates my hypertrophied pedantry gland, in that there clearly is such a word, and itself is a shortened form of cannot, which is one word, not two. It is the attempt to encapsulate a principle, in this case that there are lots of advantages to not having a defeatist attitude into a motto. It must confuse the hell out of kids when primary school teachers churn out this nugget. I have a similar view on 'meat is murder' and I suspect that it was behind Orwell's 'four legs good two legs bad'.
It's time to go shopping.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

People who take phrases too seriously.
handyman

Post by handyman »

jdogscoop wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
grievous wrote:Cvnts on packed trains with back packs, take the fvcking thing off
!!!!
I use to travel a lot by train when I was younger. In SA the local trains was normally so packed that you cant feel when someone is nicking your wallet out of your pocket. I use to put everything in a backpack and wear it back to front with my arms crossed over it. Yea I looked a twat but that was the only way I could keep my possessions safe.
But a sensible philosophy. You looked like a twat with a full wallet, rather than somebody cool, but poor.
I think Average Joe is being too hard on himself.

He looks like a twat regardless of the way he wears his backpack.
:lol:
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

handyman wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
grievous wrote:Cvnts on packed trains with back packs, take the fvcking thing off
!!!!
I use to travel a lot by train when I was younger. In SA the local trains was normally so packed that you cant feel when someone is nicking your wallet out of your pocket. I use to put everything in a backpack and wear it back to front with my arms crossed over it. Yea I looked a twat but that was the only way I could keep my possessions safe.
But a sensible philosophy. You looked like a twat with a full wallet, rather than somebody cool, but poor.
I think Average Joe is being too hard on himself.

He looks like a twat regardless of the way he wears his backpack.
That's not what your wife said last night.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

!!!!
Ottawa used to have 'busology' signs against such things and it actually worked on me. Started dropping it between my legs if I had to stand.

New one:

mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

American drivers 😡
frillage

Post by frillage »

Gwenno wrote:When I used to work in hospitals seeing people use the lift to go down one flight - not porters with trolleys, or heavy equipment - just slow moving people. I always walked downstairs, and almost always upstairs too - easy when you are a youngster. I don't expect respiratory patients to walk from the ground floor concourse to the chest ward on the eighth floor, but don't slow down the lift just because you can't be arsed to walk about 10 feet down steps.
I always use stairs over lift or escalator, till i was in HDU with CHF and ejection fraction less than ten.
Went for a wander even though supposed to be confined to ward. Going downstairs was fine, up them took a while!!
backrow

Post by backrow »

mr flaps wrote:Americans 😡
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

mr flaps wrote:Audi drivers 😡
Really freaks me when you get a rare one who drives sensibly behind you, especially on country lanes where you would normally expect then to drive up your arse for a couple of miles then over take just before a bend.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Really freaks me when you get a rare one who drives sensibly behind you, especially on country lanes where you would normally expect then to drive up your arse for a couple of miles then over take just before a bend.
That might explain the reaction I got driving through Amish country one time. A family in a buggy seemingly looked unnaturally happy to wave 'thanks' to me, as if I was a rare car driver doing the speed limit in their village. :)
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Nieghorn wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:
That might explain the reaction I got driving through Amish country one time. A family in a buggy seemingly looked unnaturally happy to wave 'thanks' to me, as if I was a rare car driver doing the speed limit in their village. :)
Very unlikely to see a speed camera in Amish Country. :lol:
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

A shit potato peeler.

Who the fudge creates crappy peelers? They should have to peel a bucket full of knobbly kumara as penance.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

frillage wrote:
Gwenno wrote:When I used to work in hospitals seeing people use the lift to go down one flight - not porters with trolleys, or heavy equipment - just slow moving people. I always walked downstairs, and almost always upstairs too - easy when you are a youngster. I don't expect respiratory patients to walk from the ground floor concourse to the chest ward on the eighth floor, but don't slow down the lift just because you can't be arsed to walk about 10 feet down steps.
I always use stairs over lift or escalator, till i was in HDU with CHF and ejection fraction less than ten.
Went for a wander even though supposed to be confined to ward. Going downstairs was fine, up them took a while!!
Welcome! :thumbup:
The brand of lift in Neville Hall Hospital, Abergavenny is Schindler - Schindler's lifts.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Drivers who park their cars on pavements leaving no room for pedestrians to walk through.
Absolute tossers all of them.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

sockwithaticket wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Unless they're changing something to make a point, there's no excuse for historical inaccuracy besides laziness and a disregard for the truth. I may be a former history teacher...
They often do make minor changes and leave some things out to make a thematic point or do it to suit the movie.
In fact it's incredibly common.

I'm talking about people who, say, watch first man and say "well actually they had a very smooth ride down to the moon so the camera shake is silly/inaccurate, Neil wore red rubber boots to the Gemini soo annoying, Neil never actually had that convo with his kids etc. etc."
It just shows a fundamental misunderstanding of cinema.

Historians are most of the time terrible film critics.
If you can't make something cinematic without deviating from the truth/reality, perhaps choose a different subject matter? Or go entirely fictional, but use the real life example for inspiration.

I find it disrespectful to manipulate actual people and events for the purposes of entertainment tbh.
We broadly agree, it's when "historical accuracy" types start picking apart minor details of what's happening on screen to show how knowledgeable they are that I roll my eyes.

It's not disrespectful at all to make small changes for the sake of themes or narrative so long as it's not Rambo saving the titanic or Neil playing basketball on the moon.
Kermode and Mayo's podcast, which I primarily enjoy as background noise, I certainly have little time for Kermode's opinion on films (our tastes do not mesh and his evangelical takes on old horror 'classics' while denigrating all but the best of modern genre contributions irks me), have a thing about small hills on which to die. Little things that really stand out to people and wind them up, usually because it's their particular area of expertise. They're usually things that most of the population don't know and so don't give a second thought, but I can well appreciate how much it would be frustrating if you know otherwise and how the need to point it out would build.
Fair enough, but I'll just hark back to First man again as an example, people saying things like " well actually, the moon lander descent was actually quite smooth so the Shakey cam is silly" or. "there's no reason to believe he brought the bracelet up" just make me wonder if they even get the point of a movie.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Viral videos of people playing on out of tune public pianos.
Just tedious beyond belief.
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

Average Joe wrote:
!!!!
Lovely country
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Floppykid wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:I'm listening to some BBC podcasts at the moment: Melvyn Bragg
He's an utter cúnt.

A friend of mine has been on the r4 program you're referring too. He turned up for the brief beforehand, ran through their points, disappeared for an hour and had rephrase everything into his questions. She and the other guests had to wing it from there. And apparently he has control over the editing.
I think he's great. :lol:
Academics can waffle on and on and someone's got to put a fence around things.
He's a self important fuckwit who treats the experts on his show with complete disdain.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

He tells them to move it along, not spit in their faces.
Get a grip. :lol:
grievous

Post by grievous »

Druid wrote:Drivers who park their cars on pavements leaving no room for pedestrians to walk through.
Absolute tossers all of them.
People that say pavement instead of footpath :x
grievous

Post by grievous »

Cullen wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
!!!!
Lovely country
But smart, it also acts as a stab vest
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Interviewers that don't just interrupt, they interrupt with a second question before the interviewee has said more than one word of answer to the first.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Floppykid wrote:Viral videos of people playing on out of tune public pianos.
Just tedious beyond belief.

No love for the Boogie woogie eh?
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

People bumping stale threads.

Seriously, if the last post was more than a month ago, don't bump the thread. Sensible forums auto-lock threads after a period with no new posts. Most people don't check the date on a thread, so they start replying as if it were current & everyone gets confused.

Just create a new thread. They don't cost money. Link to the old thread if you want to provide some context.
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

Mahoney wrote:People bumping stale threads.

Seriously, if the last post was more than a month ago, don't bump the thread. Sensible forums auto-lock threads after a period with no new posts. Most people don't check the date on a thread, so they start replying as if it were current & everyone gets confused.

Just create a new thread. They don't cost money. Link to the old thread if you want to provide some context.
Not according to Jake/PR. Hence the wipes.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

Whichever arsehole it is on our floor who routinely fills the bog with loo paper then shits on top of it and leaves.

I swear every big office block I’ve worked in has had someone who did this.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Mahoney wrote:Whichever arsehole it is on our floor who routinely fills the bog with loo paper then shits on top of it and leaves.

2 floors of work with not enough pressure to get rid of this.

30 plumber colours in 4 weeks

:?
normilet

Post by normilet »

Youtube ads. Specifically the one for Audible.

If I have to hear "Discover Audible..." one more time I'm f*cking my phone into the bin.
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

Mahoney wrote:Whichever arsehole it is on our floor who routinely fills the bog with loo paper then shits on top of it and leaves.

Yep, both this behaviour and general fecal terrorism. My floor has 4 cubicles in the male bogs and there've been times when none of them are in a fit state for human usage. It's horrendous and I don't understand why anyone thinks it's acceptable.
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

Trostan wrote:People who accummulate in groups at the end of escalators for a chat, making everyone shuffle around to get past them.
(They also block the aisles in shops in groups, if they can't find an escalator).

This is often encouraged by poor station design and layout. On the London underground, info screens are very often placed at the top of escalators and so as passengers step off the escalators they then stop dead in their tracks to gawp at the info screens suspended from the ceiling.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

Opening a big bag of Fruit Gums and discovering there are almost no green ones contained therein.
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

sockwithaticket wrote:

Yep, both this behaviour and general fecal terrorism. My floor has 4 cubicles in the male bogs and there've been times when none of them are in a fit state for human usage. It's horrendous and I don't understand why anyone thinks it's acceptable.
Years ago I used to work in a very old-fashioned office building where there were no communal loos in common areas. Each office had its own loo with a door that opened directly onto the work space. The loos also had no ventilation other than the action of the door wafting air about as people came and went, and there was only 1 toilet and no urinals.

One day, one of the other offices in the building were having a problem with their loos so they asked if they could use ours. One guy came down and spent ages in there and caused an outrageous stink that seeped out into the office. The next person who was brave enough to go in discovered what he had left behind and he had basically destroyed the toilet and legged it. We phoned them up and requested that he come back down and clean it up which he did, rather sheepishly.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Nolanator wrote:
Trostan wrote:People who accummulate in groups at the end of escalators for a chat, making everyone shuffle around to get past them.
(They also block the aisles in shops in groups, if they can't find an escalator).
Escalator crowds are a perfect opportunity to launch yourself through them like a missile. Just plough through them and apologise profusely that you can't stop, the escalator is keeping you moving.
Obviously if there's someone in front of you who looks like they might have limited mobility (old, disabled etc) or a parent with a few kids, give yourself a few steps to give them space. No point in being a dickhead to people who can't help being slow.

Any able bodied people blocking the exit are fair game, though.
Hello James Ryan...
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

The Man Without Fear wrote:Opening a big bag of Fruit Gums and discovering there are almost no green ones contained therein.
Just reading that made me gasp audibly at the horror. I had to turn it into a cough to avoid any awkward questions from the missus.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

The Man Without Fear wrote:Opening a big bag of Fruit Gums and discovering there are almost no green ones contained therein.
A big bag of fruit gums every day? Fatty.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

blindcider wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Escalator crowds are a perfect opportunity to launch yourself through them like a missile. Just plough through them and apologise profusely that you can't stop, the escalator is keeping you moving.
Obviously if there's someone in front of you who looks like they might have limited mobility (old, disabled etc) or a parent with a few kids, give yourself a few steps to give them space. No point in being a dickhead to people who can't help being slow.

Any able bodied people blocking the exit are fair game, though.
Hello James Ryan...
There's no citing commissioner in train stations!
sockwithaticket

mikeyboy123 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

Years ago I used to work in a very old-fashioned office building where there were no communal loos in common areas. Each office had its own loo with a door that opened directly onto the work space. The loos also had no ventilation other than the action of the door wafting air about as people came and went, and there was only 1 toilet and no urinals.

One day, one of the other offices in the building were having a problem with their loos so they asked if they could use ours. One guy came down and spent ages in there and caused an outrageous stink that seeped out into the office. The next person who was brave enough to go in discovered what he had left behind and he had basically destroyed the toilet and legged it. We phoned them up and requested that he come back down and clean it up which he did, rather sheepishly.
x(

At least you were able to shame the filthy bastard.

With the amount of time some seem to spend, what you might catch sight of before deciding not to use a particular cubicle, noises overheard and smells that linger* I do idly wonder what the diets are of some people.

*Lots of office toilets seem to be placed in the building with no thought to ventilation; apart from a handful of minutes at the beginning of each day they absolutely hum.
sockwithaticket

Wait, this is annoying?

I'll eat the greens, but more of the others is 100% a positive thing.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

sockwithaticket wrote:*Lots of office toilets seem to be placed in the building with no thought to ventilation; apart from a handful of minutes at the beginning of each day they absolutely hum.
Building I used to work in was quite new, but to get from the stairwell to the main corridor, you'd to go through a very short corridor (basically a square with a door on each wall) which was where the toilets were. Our floor only had a disabled and women's toilet, so men used the disabled one, but would so the smelliest shits and leave the door open. So anyone entering the floor from the stairwell had to walk through their miasma first. x(
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

I've worked in a few government places that have bought into the whole gender-neutral toilet thing, and given the pristine nature of the bogs I can only assume this has put the blokes on best behaviour.