Everyday Things That Annoy You

All things Rugby
sorCrer

Re: Everyday Things That Annoy You

Post by sorCrer »

Ali's Choice wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:Like most things there needs to be balance.

The laughably flat wicket a lot of public sector workers in Canada are on would suggest they have got the balance wrong, considering the egregious rates of personal income tax there.

Other countries have a better system whereby worker rights are protected without great cost to everyone else.
40% of SA government spending goes on the wage bill. Private sector increases last year avg 2.75% vs 7.5%
To be fair, South Africa is a failed state.
Now, now AC as a recognised MVT, I'm not likely to rise to that bait.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

True Blue wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:You're going to need a thicker skin than that around here.

AC is a plum, though.

New annoyance - IT people. Are they deliberately unhelpful?

Latest issue: Setting up a room for some system training and found one of the computers there without anything except a power cable. Fire off a quick email 'Hey, could you get me all the cables/bits we'd need for a computer and bring them to room X? There's one in there missing mouse, keyboard, ethernet etc. All its got is a base unit and 2 unconnected screens. Cheers'

The guy just brought the 3 I'd specifically mentioned, so we still didn't have a functioning computer.
I know from experience IT Support is a terrible thankless job so he's probably bitter and twisted and hates all of you. He probably smeared the mouse against his anus before leaving it there.
He has totally upset one in the past and is on the Shilist

:nod:
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
True Blue wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:You're going to need a thicker skin than that around here.

AC is a plum, though.

New annoyance - IT people. Are they deliberately unhelpful?

Latest issue: Setting up a room for some system training and found one of the computers there without anything except a power cable. Fire off a quick email 'Hey, could you get me all the cables/bits we'd need for a computer and bring them to room X? There's one in there missing mouse, keyboard, ethernet etc. All its got is a base unit and 2 unconnected screens. Cheers'

The guy just brought the 3 I'd specifically mentioned, so we still didn't have a functioning computer.
I know from experience IT Support is a terrible thankless job so he's probably bitter and twisted and hates all of you. He probably smeared the mouse against his anus before leaving it there.
He has totally upset one in the past and is on the Shilist

:nod:
By actually requiring their services maybe once a year? It's entirely possible, but I've never had a problem that could be solved with a simple 'Have you tried turning it off and on again?'.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

kiwinoz wrote:Waiting to turn right in a long line and keeping the intersection clear as signed etc. Woman in X90 cuts in front blocking both lanes as well as the intersection. Then fails to note the cars in front have moved with a green arrow as she is fixing her hair so she has to run the red to turn and of course I sit there for another 3 minutes
:lol:
Incidentally just this morning I saw this happening. Except that it was an old man leaning down to pick something up from the passenger side and totally failing to notice that he had the green arrow. When he finally did notice the arrow had already turned amber, but he still managed to scamper through. The big guy in the SUV behind him was left absolutely fuming though, having to wait for another 3min.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

A classic, but drivers who enter an intersection without their exit being clear. Today it was a f'king BUS. Blocked 3 lanes of traffic while sitting in the middle of the intersection looking like a plum, FFS.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Not using the indicator is a classic.

I remember a few years ago some bellend charged out of a streetside park glaring at me when I went to turn right into a bottle store.

I thought, how did I miss that?

Oh yeah, no indicator whatsoever from the cvnt. Just went from 0 to 40 by standing on the accelerator expecting me to stop. Which I did, just.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

jdogscoop wrote:Poor attention to detail.

Send request to another department.

DONE comes the reply.

You missed x, y and z.

DONE comes the reply.

We're still missing y and z.

DONE comes the reply.

We're still missing [FVCKING] z [YOU USELESS CVNT.]

[Words deleted on account of being totally profesh.]
Uppercut yourself. You should have used the phone after the second DONE. :nod:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Sandstorm wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:Poor attention to detail.

Send request to another department.

DONE comes the reply.

You missed x, y and z.

DONE comes the reply.

We're still missing y and z.

DONE comes the reply.

We're still missing [FVCKING] z [YOU USELESS CVNT.]

[Words deleted on account of being totally profesh.]
Uppercut yourself. You should have used the phone after the second DONE. :nod:
Haha I thought about it, but her boss was on the email thread and I was on cvnt mode making a point.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:A classic, but drivers who enter an intersection without their exit being clear. Today it was a f'king BUS. Blocked 3 lanes of traffic while sitting in the middle of the intersection looking like a plum, FFS.
The worst traffic chaos I've ever seen was caused by two buses in Sydney (in George Street at the intersection with Alfred) which refused to enter the intersection until their exit was clear. They sat there for 40 minutes.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Tailgaters in 30mph zones. Typically when I'm in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway because I've got to be to get my correct turn, and I won't go over 30 (fed up with points and fines) and a tailgater will flash me, then overtake on the inside doing 40. Presumably he knows that there are no speed cameras in this bit - but I don't.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Gwenno wrote:Tailgaters in 30mph zones. Typically when I'm in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway because I've got to be to get my correct turn, and I won't go over 30 (fed up with points and fines) and a tailgater will flash me, then overtake on the inside doing 40. Presumably he knows that there are no speed cameras in this bit - but I don't.
Playing devils advocate here - if there is room for the guy to undertake you then you are in the wrong lane and then there is room for you to change lane when you need to make your turn.

Not withstanding that right hand turns off dual carriageways are an awful design choice
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

blindcider wrote:
Gwenno wrote:Tailgaters in 30mph zones. Typically when I'm in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway because I've got to be to get my correct turn, and I won't go over 30 (fed up with points and fines) and a tailgater will flash me, then overtake on the inside doing 40. Presumably he knows that there are no speed cameras in this bit - but I don't.
Playing devils advocate here - if there is room for the guy to undertake you then you are in the wrong lane and then there is room for you to change lane when you need to make your turn.

Not withstanding that right hand turns off dual carriageways are an awful design choice
Speed limit is 30 and he's doing that. Undertaking taking means you have to break the speed limit for little gain. Or 3 points.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Sandstorm wrote:
blindcider wrote:

Speed limit is 30 and he's doing that. Undertaking taking means you have to break the speed limit for little gain. Or 3 points.
But he is driving in the right hand lane with space on the inside which is also against the law/highway code - unless his turn is imminent.

As I said it was playing Devils advocate I don't necessarily disagree with his actions (or annoyance at being undertaken) - if he is driving in the right hand lane for several minutes to make his turn then he is potentially adding to the problem.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Everyday Things That Annoy You
Nothing really, I'm fairly happy go lucky.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

blindcider wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
blindcider wrote:

But he is driving in the right hand lane with space on the inside which is also against the law/highway code - unless his turn is imminent.

As I said it was playing Devils advocate I don't necessarily disagree with his actions (or annoyance at being undertaken) - if he is driving in the right hand lane for several minutes to make his turn then he is potentially adding to the problem.
So when you are turning right in 100 m, you will stay in the left lane until near your junction then try to pull out into the right? Some people undertake in about a 30 metre stretch.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

In similar vein people who will hang 3 inches off your front bumper when you are reversing down a single lane road.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Gwenno wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
blindcider wrote:

So when you are turning right in 100 m, you will stay in the left lane until near your junction then try to pull out into the right? Some people undertake in about a 30 metre stretch.
No 100m is clearly fine - but you didn't specify the distance you were talking about. We've all sat behind Volvos doing 50 in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway (speed limit 70mph) for mile after mile though. Middle/right lane hogs cause a lot of follow-on problems on our roads and are one of my everyday annoyances.

Still think that right hand turns off a dual carriageway are an awful awful design choice
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Academics in podcasts going off on tangents/waffling on without discipline.

Thank Christ Melvyn Bragg is there to slap them down and keep the show moving.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

danny_fitz wrote:
In similar vein people who will hang 3 inches off your front bumper when you are reversing down a single lane road.
You'd be amazed how often I seem to stall the car when I have to reserve back to let a pillock through
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Tehui wrote:Every morning, some dirty F* at work leaves sh* stains on the toilet basin. I've yet to identify the culprit, but I'm slowly eliminating people one by one off my Cluedo Whodunnit list.

Check to see if anyone worked with Fruit and 2 Veg in earlier days?
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

The dual carriageway I'm particularly talking about is urban, the road into Cardiff from the North. I think that those sort of dual carriageways usually have a right turn, don't they?
Druid

Post by Druid »

Gwenno wrote:The dual carriageway I'm particularly talking about is urban, the road into Cardiff from the North. I think that those sort of dual carriageways usually have a right turn, don't they?

I know the stretch you are talhing about.

Ponty man or Caerphilly?
Early 8 ish is a right ball ache.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

Tearing a muscle in the back of your neck because you've tensed it so stupidly hard in response to the bloody kids f**king about instead of getting ready to go to school, resulting in a trip to the Minor Injuries unit and a day off work because it hurts too much to turn your head to the left, so driving is akin to suicide.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

In the process of moving house we've sold a lot of stuff online that hasn't ended up finding a home in the new place.

People (usually women) rocking up to pick something up in a vehicle that is far too small. Today's was a sofa bed (relatively compact one thankfully) in a Corsa, that led to me standing in the street with my tool kit removing the legs and sourcing some rope to tie her boot in place. Happens all the f**king time.

Last week I was disassembling a gas BBQ in the street.
af73

Post by af73 »

Saw a good one the other day.
Having been both a cyclist and a motorist I'm not in the "anti" either camp - plum behaviour is plum behaviour.

This one was a cyclist.

A slow moving line of traffic approaching a side street on the left which a car was indicating to turn into.
Cyclist comes barreling up the inside (so undertaking as discussed above) and berates the driver turning left. The turn was well underway before the cyclist was within 50 yards but the driver still got both barrels as the cyclist jumped the kerb, rode along the pavement, over the side street, further along the next pavement to rejoin the road having skipped a fair part of the queue.

When he got the the traffic lights (and actually stopped on the red light :lol: ) he switched off the ubiquitous helmet mounted GoPro and asked if I had seen all that as he was going to post it on youtube.
I said "yes" and said that he was 100% at fault. Passing slow or stationery on the left, cycling on a pavement at speed and leaving/joining a roadway without due care and attention - take your pick.

Temper rising, he asked "are you a f'kin driving instructor or something?"

"Yes I used to be" I replied "but also equipped with tolerance and basic common sense along with knowledge of the rules of the road." - have a nice day.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

af73 wrote:Saw a good one the other day.
Having been both a cyclist and a motorist I'm not in the "anti" either camp - plum behaviour is plum behaviour.

This one was a cyclist.

A slow moving line of traffic approaching a side street on the left which a car was indicating to turn into.
Cyclist comes barreling up the inside (so undertaking as discussed above) and berates the driver turning left. The turn was well underway before the cyclist was within 50 yards but the driver still got both barrels as the cyclist jumped the kerb, rode along the pavement, over the side street, further along the next pavement to rejoin the road having skipped a fair part of the queue.

When he got the the traffic lights (and actually stopped on the red light :lol: ) he switched off the ubiquitous helmet mounted GoPro and asked if I had seen all that as he was going to post it on youtube.
I said "yes" and said that he was 100% at fault. Passing slow or stationery on the left, cycling on a pavement at speed and leaving/joining a roadway without due care and attention - take your pick.

"Yes I used to be" I replied "but also equipped with tolerance and basic common sense along with knowledge of the rules of the road." - have a nice day.
Like you, I too am both (ie more than bike curious -Thankyou South Park) and my attitude is that even if you, the cyclist are in the right, you are still in the wrong, and will still get splattered. A much safer approach, and one I taught all my sons, is to assume that you are invisible, and be eternally vigilant. It is no comfort while you lie in a hospital bed full of metal screws and plates and wearing a neck brace to know that the driver was prosecuted.
frillage

Post by frillage »

Gwenno wrote:

This one was a cyclist.

Like you, I too am both (ie more than bike curious -Thankyou South Park) and my attitude is that even if you, the cyclist are in the right, you are still in the wrong, and will still get splattered. A much safer approach, and one I taught all my sons, is to assume that you are invisible, and be eternally vigilant. It is no comfort while you lie in a hospital bed full of metal screws and plates and wearing a neck brace to know that the driver was prosecuted.
Wonder if any statistical analysis of injuries to riders with camera v without cameras?
Seems to give some an inflated sense of safety which (anecdotally) seems to make them ride in far more dangerous way than should as best safe practice.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Margin_Walker wrote:In the process of moving house we've sold a lot of stuff online that hasn't ended up finding a home in the new place.

People (usually women) rocking up to pick something up in a vehicle that is far too small. Today's was a sofa bed (relatively compact one thankfully) in a Corsa, that led to me standing in the street with my tool kit removing the legs and sourcing some rope to tie her boot in place. Happens all the f**king time.

Last week I was disassembling a gas BBQ in the street.
just boils down to spacial awareness - few women have this.

eg
Bird "we need to move this wardrobe"
Me "ok but it will block the window"
bird "no it won't, why don't you listen blah blah " - *10 mins of fuming*

*I move wardrobe*

bird "hmm its now too dark in here, we need to repaint the room, and get some new carpet and curtains"
Me "can we just move the wardrobe back ?"

*ten mins of rowing*

*I move wardrobe back*

bird "I want to visit Malta"
Poshprop

Post by Poshprop »

frillage wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

This one was a cyclist.

Wonder if any statistical analysis of injuries to riders with camera v without cameras?
Seems to give some an inflated sense of safety which (anecdotally) seems to make them ride in far more dangerous way than should as best safe practice.
The thing that will save is long blond hair!
https://www.eta.co.uk/2011/04/01/safest ... lt-in-wig/
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

People who post on Facebook about the same subject over and over again. It's boring. Mix it up and post about something else for a change.
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

Tehui wrote:People who post on Facebook about the same subject over and over again. It's boring. Mix it up and post about something else for a change.
Third time you’ve said this
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

eugenefraxby wrote:
Tehui wrote:People who post on Facebook about the same subject over and over again. It's boring. Mix it up and post about something else for a change.
Bet this has been said before too.

People who post homelies on facebook, 'better to have loved than to have never loved blah blah blah' the social media version of those god awful motivational posters that were huge 20 years ago.

And people who post cryptic crap like 'I can't believe it happened emoji emoji' and then the attention whores never explain wtf happened.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

People* who share a link on Facebook to every news article they have read that afternoon, usually with a one-word descriptor like "sad" or "wow".

* people = my mum.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
eugenefraxby wrote:
Bet this has been said before too.

People who post homelies on facebook, 'better to have loved than to have never loved blah blah blah' the social media version of those god awful motivational posters that were huge 20 years ago.

And people who post cryptic crap like 'I can't believe it happened emoji emoji' and then the attention whores never explain wtf happened.
Well duh!!! they can’t explain because they can’t believe it.....🙄
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
People* who share a link on Facebook to every news article they have read that afternoon, usually with a one-word descriptor like "sad" or "wow".

* people = my mum.

You not brave enough to use the 'unfollow' option?
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Tehui wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:

* people = my mum.

I've hovered over it many times but haven't gone through with it. Mum's Facebook use is a topic of regular discussion between my sisters and I... She needs an intervention.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

People still use Facebook?
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Floppykid wrote:People still use Facebook?
As my 16 year old neice puts it, Facebook is for old people"
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:

* people = my mum.

I've hovered over it many times but haven't gone through with it. Mum's Facebook use is a topic of regular discussion between my sisters and I... She needs an intervention.
Someone has got to do it - and grammar pedantry is the new black - 'between my sisters and me'
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Floppykid wrote:Academics in podcasts going off on tangents/waffling on without discipline.

Thank Christ Melvyn Bragg is there to slap them down and keep the show moving.
:lol: He is pretty good at that, isn't he?

I wonder how all these classic presenters feel about the stuttering, rambling (or whispering) podcasters who've taken over their realm?