Everyday Things That Annoy You

All things Rugby
danny_fitz

Re: Everyday Things That Annoy You

Post by danny_fitz »

happyhooker wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
The Man Without Fear wrote:People who use the terms "gentle reminder" or "little reminder". Just say reminder and quit the faux humble bullshit.
When people, usually women, by which I mean my wife talk about newborn babies - it's always a little girl, or a little boy - all babies are little, for f.uck's sake.
One of my nephews was 12lb. My poor bloody sister.
I was 10lbs and a month premature, think my mum was was quite glad I did not go full term.
backrow

Post by backrow »

KnuckleDragger

Post by KnuckleDragger »

backrow wrote:Image
call centre muzak?

Or Marys like a.....
Woddy

Post by Woddy »

blindcider wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
blindcider wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
Playing devils advocate here - if there is room for the guy to undertake you then you are in the wrong lane and then there is room for you to change lane when you need to make your turn.

Not withstanding that right hand turns off dual carriageways are an awful design choice
Speed limit is 30 and he's doing that. Undertaking taking means you have to break the speed limit for little gain. Or 3 points.
But he is driving in the right hand lane with space on the inside which is also against the law/highway code - unless his turn is imminent.

As I said it was playing Devils advocate I don't necessarily disagree with his actions (or annoyance at being undertaken) - if he is driving in the right hand lane for several minutes to make his turn then he is potentially adding to the problem.
So when you are turning right in 100 m, you will stay in the left lane until near your junction then try to pull out into the right? Some people undertake in about a 30 metre stretch.
No 100m is clearly fine - but you didn't specify the distance you were talking about. We've all sat behind Volvos doing 50 in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway (speed limit 70mph) for mile after mile though. Middle/right lane hogs cause a lot of follow-on problems on our roads and are one of my everyday annoyances.

Still think that right hand turns off a dual carriageway are an awful awful design choice[/quote]

I'm with BC on this. The faster driver could be going a safe speed anyway, depending on traffic and other conditions.

Besides, if there syphon lanes coming up on the right, I am not sure this qualified as strict undertaking so much as taking the correct lane(s) for where you are going.

With greater traffic, my massive bugbear with speed vigilantes in the outside lane of a dual carriageway is that they stop any fluidity between the two lanes as everyone ends up going at more or less the same speed. This can make it very difficult to get into the lefthand lane to turn off.
backrow

Post by backrow »

lane discipline is awful, as is etiquette - plenty of dual lanes turn offs start with you having to be in the right lane (to turn right ), then coming off the road and entering left lane to turn left - there is no way to avoid changing lane at some stage. (A3 Cobham turn off heading toward Weybridge for those that know it)

if you are indicated left and nobody lets you in, you often have to make a move or a drift over if the traffic is at similar speeds between lanes, and you often get glared at by a left lane hog who hasn't had to do the first turn right bit and refuses to let you in until you cut them up or (even better) I end up being in front of them anyways as someone further up has let me in.

if someone is actually bothering to indicate to change lane, then you should really let them in if safe and they are not racing.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

backrow wrote:lane discipline is awful, as is etiquette - plenty of dual lanes turn offs start with you having to be in the right lane (to turn right ), then coming off the road and entering left lane to turn left - there is no way to avoid changing lane at some stage. (A3 Cobham turn off heading toward Weybridge for those that know it)

if you are indicated left and nobody lets you in, you often have to make a move or a drift over if the traffic is at similar speeds between lanes, and you often get glared at by a left lane hog who hasn't had to do the first turn right bit and refuses to let you in until you cut them up or (even better) I end up being in front of them anyways as someone further up has let me in.

if someone is actually bothering to indicate to change lane, then you should really let them in if safe and they are not racing.

Absolutely. The N11 in Dublin is terrible for idiots hogging the outer lane because they are turning right 3km up the road so if someone is actually in the inside lane and then want to change I would always have let them in or insisted on my wife doing it if she was driving. She was reluctant but I pointed out that she couldn't be annoyed with lane hoggs AND people who chose to drive in the correct lane and then move over at the appropriate time and they should be rewarded so they didn't feel forced to drive like cvnts. OF course you occasionally get burnt by some cvnt who has just chosen that moment to change lane, 3km before their turning but not that often.
backrow

Post by backrow »

MrJonno wrote:
backrow wrote:lane discipline is awful, as is etiquette - plenty of dual lanes turn offs start with you having to be in the right lane (to turn right ), then coming off the road and entering left lane to turn left - there is no way to avoid changing lane at some stage. (A3 Cobham turn off heading toward Weybridge for those that know it)

Absolutely. The N11 in Dublin is terrible for idiots hogging the outer lane because they are turning right 3km up the road so if someone is actually in the inside lane and then want to change I would always have let them in or insisted on my wife doing it if she was driving. She was reluctant but I pointed out that she couldn't be annoyed with lane hoggs AND people who chose to drive in the correct lane and then move over at the appropriate time and they should be rewarded so they didn't feel forced to drive like cvnts. OF course you occasionally get burnt by some cvnt who has just chosen that moment to change lane, 3km before their turning but not that often.
I reckon at 50mph + speed, if you are going to change road or need to change lane, then its ok to hog the lane for 500m, any more than that and you should really move over and then move back as its plenty of time for 2 changes. In urban areas when there are filter lanes or traffic backup up onto the right hand lane, then its fine to get into your desired lane asap because if one lane is moving and another stationary, it may not be possible to get into your correct lane just as you are approaching the junction.

providing people read the road ahead & look in their mirrors, lane discipline shouldn't be an issue, but these days most people (all sexes and backgrounds here) are just very lazy and never check, relying on their car to beep at them.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

backrow wrote:
Short Man Syndrome wrote:Yeah, my bad - I meant £20 so closer to $30 to fill my GF’s small car. Compared to the UK, that is still annoying. A mid-sized SUV tank full for $50/£40?

:x
why are you paying for the fuel for your gf ? do you help out her kiddiewinks too ?
Who said I was paying? She works, she can buy her own bloody gas. And she can fix me a sandwich while she's at it.

..is that right? Do I capture the correct tone of misogynistic condescension?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

backrow wrote:providing people read the road ahead & look in their mirrors
:lol:
backrow

Post by backrow »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:
backrow wrote:
Short Man Syndrome wrote:Yeah, my bad - I meant £20 so closer to $30 to fill my GF’s small car. Compared to the UK, that is still annoying. A mid-sized SUV tank full for $50/£40?

:x
why are you paying for the fuel for your gf ? do you help out her kiddiewinks too ?
Who said I was paying? She works, she can buy her own bloody gas. And she can fix me a sandwich while she's at it.

..is that right? Do I capture the correct tone of misogynistic condescension?
C+
needs more tits & bad at parking info
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

Salanya wrote:Not necessarily an 'every' day thing, but setting deadlines for applications (whether for jobs, tenders, assignments etc.) and then leaving it weeks before responding.

FFS, you set the deadline, so you could have set it to suit your diary! Things happen and applications need reviewing, but if you can't reply within 10 days you're a plum or a plummy organisation, and an unorganised one at that! :x
A week on, and I'm still frickin' waiting :x
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Reading Kieran Read's biography Straight 8 on holiday and taking in his identification of things that were off in the lead up to key defeats during his time as captain.

You were in an ideal position to influence things, mate! :x

Nice bloke (by all accounts), great 8, an okay captain.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

Gwenno wrote:
The Man Without Fear wrote:People who use the terms "gentle reminder" or "little reminder". Just say reminder and quit the faux humble bullshit.
When people, usually women, by which I mean my wife talk about newborn babies - it's always a little girl, or a little boy - all babies are little, for f.uck's sake.
At least they're not furbabies.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Kahu wrote:Social media users that post the exact content across all platforms, 'Thanks I really wanted to see your Dry Roast chicken and undercooked Taties on FB, Snapchat, Insta, Tiktok and Twitter.'... And post their new posts in their stories with 'New Post!'
You FB friends with Mat the Ex Pat too? In his defense, he doesn't have kids.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Salanya wrote:
Salanya wrote:Not necessarily an 'every' day thing, but setting deadlines for applications (whether for jobs, tenders, assignments etc.) and then leaving it weeks before responding.

FFS, you set the deadline, so you could have set it to suit your diary! Things happen and applications need reviewing, but if you can't reply within 10 days you're a plum or a plummy organisation, and an unorganised one at that! :x
A week on, and I'm still frickin' waiting :x
HR ... useless around the world.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

mr bungle wrote:
Kahu wrote:Social media users that post the exact content across all platforms, 'Thanks I really wanted to see your Dry Roast chicken and undercooked Taties on FB, Snapchat, Insta, Tiktok and Twitter.'... And post their new posts in their stories with 'New Post!'
As any fule knows Iobly use FB :lol:

Which reminds me, I haven't posted any food for a while!
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Yes, been some days since Sunday's grilled cheese sandwich :lol:
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

A bit niche, but idiots at work abandoning sensible versioning methods and naming a file 'Final' when it's not 100% finished, published and forgotten about. Thus ending up having to figure out which one of 'Final v.1.1, 'Final DG comments', 'Final 28 Feb' etc is current.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

mr bungle wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Yes, been some days since Sunday's grilled cheese sandwich :lol:

It was excellent :D
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

My manager currently keeps repeating to the team (and me) the value of why we need to be better organised. I've told him that he's preaching to the converted, but that doesn't stop him from repeating himself. I feel like his speeches on this topic are more for him than us. The irony is that for the last year we've been organising him because he's the most disorganised person in the bloody team.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Car service centres that are miles from anywhere in
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Car service centres that are miles from anywhere in
Car service centres generally
backrow

Post by backrow »

danny_fitz wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Car service centres that are miles from anywhere in
Car service centres generally
this

like Plumbers and electricians, if you find a good one its worth holding on to them as best you can. Bosch on Shannon Corner in New Malden get a big :thumbup:

i've never heard 1st hand of anyone getting good service from a main dealer of ANY brand, just whinges
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Electronic handbrakes, awful bloody things
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

Margin_Walker wrote:A bit niche, but idiots at work abandoning sensible versioning methods and naming a file 'Final' when it's not 100% finished, published and forgotten about. Thus ending up having to figure out which one of 'Final v.1.1, 'Final DG comments', 'Final 28 Feb' etc is current.
I don’t know how people cope without git.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Dirty glasses in pubs.

The art of polishing a glass when it comes out the washer before it is put on the shelf is lost in this country.
November2019

Post by November2019 »

danny_fitz wrote:Dirty glasses in pubs.

The art of polishing a glass when it comes out the washer before it is put on the shelf is lost in this country.
As you know the correct way is to exhale some damp breath onto the glass as a sort of polish for the cloth. Probably an excellent
way to transmit, oh I don't know, respiratory viruses, maybe?
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Oh, the old 'I didn't have too much to drink, i must have had a dirty glass' defence
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

happyhooker wrote:

Oh, the old 'I didn't have too much to drink, i must have had a dirty glass' defence
Naah. Just piss poor training.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

danny_fitz wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

You're going to the wrong pubs btw.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

You're going to the wrong pubs btw.
My local is grand in this regard. In fairness I have seen it in quite a few supposedly high end places. The attitude from a lot of staff is that because the glass came out the washer it must therefore be 'clean' despite the lipstick or whatever on the sides. Just poor training.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Serves you right for drinking girls' drinks and not manly men's drinks.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

fatcat wrote:Serves you right for drinking girls' drinks and not manly men's drinks.
Oh I am very much a pint man, Mrs Fitz is the wine and Prosecco girl where this gripe usually presents itself.

While we are on the subject, the ritual my wife goes through when ordering drinks which usually involves several minutes studying the wine list, the black board, tasting a few samples, pacing the bar several times seeing whats in the fridges, before ordering exactly the same drink she has every time she in a bar.
backrow

Post by backrow »

danny_fitz wrote:
fatcat wrote:Serves you right for drinking girls' drinks and not manly men's drinks.
Oh I am very much a pint man, Mrs Fitz is the wine and Prosecco girl where this gripe usually presents itself.

While we are on the subject, the ritual my wife goes through when ordering drinks which usually involves several minutes studying the wine list, the black board, tasting a few samples, pacing the bar several times seeing whats in the fridges, before ordering exactly the same drink she has every time she in a bar.
my wife does this with food in restaurants. Sauce on the side, does it have Mussels in it, can I swop the chips for a salad, the tomato for extra cheese, and can I have extra olives in the salad please. Oh and an extra portion of chips for the kids. and another salad, only a Greek one please but with ham instead of feta, thanks. Oh and …….
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Hasn't that long been banned on hygiene grounds?
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

backrow wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

my wife does this with food in restaurants. Sauce on the side, does it have Mussels in it, can I swop the chips for a salad, the tomato for extra cheese, and can I have extra olives in the salad please. Oh and an extra portion of chips for the kids. and another salad, only a Greek one please but with ham instead of feta, thanks. Oh and …….
High maintenance wife, as in When Harry met Sally.
My wife will ask waitresses for details of dishes, followed up by 'is it nice?', now, unless the girl has got a new job and is working her notice, what sort of answer does she expect? 'It's puke! I don't know how they have the gall to call it food, let alone sell it.'? I don't think she always understands impartiality, or lack of it, in this case.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Margin_Walker wrote:A bit niche, but idiots at work abandoning sensible versioning methods and naming a file 'Final' when it's not 100% finished, published and forgotten about. Thus ending up having to figure out which one of 'Final v.1.1, 'Final DG comments', 'Final 28 Feb' etc is current.
Sort by date in the shared folder?

Still, not ideal breaking the naming convention like that.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

Use git.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

danny_fitz wrote:

Mine doesn't. She just says what have you got on tap and orders. Then takes f**king yonks deciding what to eat.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Mahoney wrote:Use git.
+10000%