That map might have been better if rearranged over:
A country
A continent
Another city or conurbation

There was a tube map done for Reading in Berkshire I believe
Mr. White

Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Post by Mr. White »

This belongs here, apols to FoG if already on this thread.

There appears to be some folks on social media who are "arguing" that the Mercator projection is part of the racist agenda. What a time to be alive.
Fat Old Git wrote:Image
Spoilers Backrow, ffs.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Fantasy European rail link. Map is half way down the link. I think we might have to bypass the UK though and I see Wales has been left out altogether

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/e ... -1.4283671
Kiwiwomble

Post by Kiwiwomble »

bessantj wrote:Behold, the future.

one train from Melbourne to london, nice
Lacrobat

Post by Lacrobat »

The oldest continuously-operated restaurants in the world. Well-played The Gables in Russell, NZ:

Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Been to Rick’s Cafe and did the cliff dive.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Canada, Greenland and Russia, Mercing the world since 1569...

Meanwhile,:

Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Show Bagene? :D
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Kiwiwomble wrote:

Two changes to get from NZ to Oz. :((
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

UncleFB wrote:
Kiwiwomble wrote:

Two changes to get from NZ to Oz. :((
But only one to get to Pyongyang :o
Taranaki Snapper

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Show Bagene? :D
and Bobs!
kiap

Post by kiap »

I haven't taken much notice of phone data prices (then again, I don't have big usage). Still, in India it's cheap as chips. Canucks are getting ripped.

Clic pic to embiggen

Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

It's interesting but off point a bit in that it doesn't show the cost of unlimited plans. In Taiwan with its universal wi-fi you can get an unlimited plan with hot spotting for far less than NZ for instance.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

kiap wrote:I haven't taken much notice of phone data prices (then again, I don't have big usage). Still, in India it's cheap as chips. Canucks are getting ripped.

Clic pic to embiggen
Just updated my phone a few weeks ago after 8 years of being on the same plan. I also had to get home internet to work from home ... data is a sick joke, at best, though possible straight up collusion between the big networks and our gov't telcom regulators either on the take or just plain don't care.

Struggling to home internet service out in the country, I looked at a mobile hotspot. The rates start at $10/month ... for 100MB OF DATA!!! ... with $150 or $200 for the device on a two year contract. They work on a flex system so you have to pay that much every month even if you're not using it. When you pay per what you use, it's something like $50 for 5GB, $75 for 10, etc. That's not dissimilar for a mobile phone plan as well. I think most of my friends pay around $75/month on average for their mobile plan.
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

Nieghorn wrote:
kiap wrote:I haven't taken much notice of phone data prices (then again, I don't have big usage). Still, in India it's cheap as chips. Canucks are getting ripped.

Clic pic to embiggen
Just updated my phone a few weeks ago after 8 years of being on the same plan. I also had to get home internet to work from home ... data is a sick joke, at best, though possible straight up collusion between the big networks and our gov't telcom regulators either on the take or just plain don't care.

Struggling to home internet service out in the country, I looked at a mobile hotspot. The rates start at $10/month ... for 100MB OF DATA!!! ... with $150 or $200 for the device on a two year contract. They work on a flex system so you have to pay that much every month even if you're not using it. When you pay per what you use, it's something like $50 for 5GB, $75 for 10, etc. That's not dissimilar for a mobile phone plan as well. I think most of my friends pay around $75/month on average for their mobile plan.
Wow, I decided to not upgrade my phone this year and have an unlimted 5g plan sim plan for £35 that has benefits I can turn on for free like 15 GB of data a month that I can use if I go on holiday in Canada.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

This makes zero sense for NZ. Why would Auckland not connect to Sydney. Way more business between those two cities than Jakarta. And you'd be screwed if you need to go from Melbourne to Auckland. Looks to about 20 stops.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Nieghorn wrote:

Clic pic to embiggen

I pay $25 USD for a whopping 3GB in the US. It's a rip off here also.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

True Blue wrote:

This makes zero sense for NZ. Why would Auckland not connect to Sydney. Way more business between those two cities than Jakarta. And you'd be screwed if you need to go from Melbourne to Auckland. Looks to about 20 stops.
Cant go to that virus ridden cesspool that is Melbourne anyway.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Supposedly from Life Magazine in 1916. Maybe scared that the massive proportion of German-Americans would rise up?

Found one bit of background: https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:3293980
Farva

Post by Farva »

Not so much a map but a video but it’s pretty cool. Video of London pre great fire.
Six students from De Montfort University have created a stellar 3D representation of 17th century London, as it existed before The Great Fire of 1666. The three-minute video provides a realistic animation of Tudor London, and particularly a section called Pudding Lane where the fire started. As Londonist notes, "Although most of the buildings are conjectural, the students used a realistic street pattern [taken from historical maps] and even included the hanging signs of genuine inns and businesses" mentioned in diaries from the period.

For their efforts, the De Montfort team was awarded first prize in the Off the Map contest, a competition run by The British Library and video game developers GameCity and Crytek.
http://www.openculture.com/2013/11/fly- ... 3NIdIPbVVY
kiap

Post by kiap »

Farva wrote:Not so much a map but a video but it’s pretty cool. Video of London pre great fire.
:thumbup: It's well done, but ye old city doesn't look real pretty on today's measure.

With all that wood you can see why it burned down as well.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Farva wrote:Not so much a map but a video but it’s pretty cool. Video of London pre great fire.
Six students from De Montfort University have created a stellar 3D representation of 17th century London, as it existed before The Great Fire of 1666. The three-minute video provides a realistic animation of Tudor London, and particularly a section called Pudding Lane where the fire started. As Londonist notes, "Although most of the buildings are conjectural, the students used a realistic street pattern [taken from historical maps] and even included the hanging signs of genuine inns and businesses" mentioned in diaries from the period.

For their efforts, the De Montfort team was awarded first prize in the Off the Map contest, a competition run by The British Library and video game developers GameCity and Crytek.
http://www.openculture.com/2013/11/fly- ... 3NIdIPbVVY
Reminds me of Ankh-Morpork
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

mdaclarke wrote:Reminds me of Ankh-Morpork
Well that is the inspiration for A-M, so makes sense!

Serious vibe of Novigrad from the Witcher 3, as well
Enormous image: show
kiap

Post by kiap »

Land use US:

Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

kiap wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:33 am Land use US:

Missing Alaska and Hawaii.
puku

Post by puku »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:58 pm

And Iowa, Minnesota and at least half of Nebraska are cropland not pasture/range/cow. There are other issues too.
Fruit and Nutt

Post by Fruit and Nutt »

Lacrobat wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:05 pm The oldest continuously-operated restaurants in the world. Well-played The Gables in Russell, NZ:

I suspect the term 'continuously operated' has the same meaning as 'Trigger's Broom'.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

puku wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:13 pm

And Iowa, Minnesota and at least half of Nebraska are cropland not pasture/range/cow. There are other issues too.
Well the map is taking the lower 48's land mass and making a map of it based on percentage use. It doesn't matter where the bits of it are as the bits have little geographical meaning. But removing Alaska which is the largest state means in reality that every section on the map should be larger than what is shown (i.e. take the size of everything shown and multiply it by 1.21). The problem probably has to deal with scaling because maps showing the country plus Alaska and Hawaii, Alaska is always scaled significantly downward in size.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:50 pm
puku wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Well the map is taking the lower 48's land mass and making a map of it based on percentage use. It doesn't matter where the bits of it are as the bits have little geographical meaning. But removing Alaska which is the largest state means in reality that every section on the map should be larger than what is shown (i.e. take the size of everything shown and multiply it by 1.21). The problem probably has to deal with scaling because maps showing the country plus Alaska and Hawaii, Alaska is always scaled significantly downward in size.
Edited for stupidity.
kiap

Post by kiap »

I'm sure NZ has some but they're not mentioned.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/stat ... 56673?s=20
Rise and fall of blockbuster video in the US.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Mexican billionaires seem to have the most indivicual wealth by far.

Bunch of El Chapo's mates?
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Nolanator wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:02 am Mexican billionaires seem to have the most indivicual wealth by far.

Carlos Slim would be worth $50bn+ so would distort the Mexican figures somewhat.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

ZappaMan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:35 pm
Nolanator wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:02 am Mexican billionaires seem to have the most indivicual wealth by far.

Carlos Slim would be worth $50bn+ so would distort the Mexican figures somewhat.
Actually, looking at it they seem to have just divided the total wealth held by billionaires by the number of billionaires. It's evenly distributed. Be more intersting if the circles within a country were of different sizes. Probably get to likes of Slim, Bezos, Gates etc massively distorting things.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Mexico has the rich, the poor, and little in the middle. The country collapsed economically in the early '90s and has never really recovered.
Taranaki Snapper

The Maps Descriptive of London Poverty are perhaps the most distinctive product of Charles Booth's Inquiry into Life and Labour In London (1886 - 1903). An early example of social cartography, each street is coloured to indicate the income and social class of its inhabitants.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lselibrar ... 8449873093

Taranaki Snapper

Average female breast size in Europe based on cup size
backrow

Post by backrow »

Taranaki Snapper wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:07 am
Average female breast size in Europe based on cup size
Prob says which countries buy ill fitting clothes - this is a subject I have researched and sadly there is no real correlation between country and bangers size. Very loosely , the fatter blonder countries like Ireland , uk, Germany , will have bigger tits than svelte darker French and Italian and Spanish laydeez, but that’s are far as it goes.

Tits :smug:
Taranaki Snapper