The Offical GAA Thread

All things Rugby
witnof

Re: The Offical GAA Thread

Post by witnof »

After the rubbish last night in Clones we get some real action this afternoon in Croker.

Two good games on our hand
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Meath were good today. I've played against a few of this squad so am more surprised than most that they're turning out to be half decent...

If they get Reilly, Gilsenan, Bray and O'Rourke back it could be a proper final..

Kildare were shithouse.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

TheBouncer wrote:Meath were good today. I've played against a few of this squad so am more surprised than most that they're turning out to be half decent...

If they get Reilly, Gilsenan, Bray and O'Rourke back it could be a proper final..

Kildare were shithouse.

I really think Kildare are a very very limited group of footballers. They have an excellent coach and they are the best prepared team in the country but in terms of passing and shooting they are way behind the top teams. Meath were excellent today, great intensity and took their scores very well. Should be a good final
Malahide Mullet

Post by Malahide Mullet »

The Meath filth will be easily dealt with
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

TheBouncer wrote:Meath were good today. I've played against a few of this squad so am more surprised than most that they're turning out to be half decent...

Kildare were shithouse.

2nd time Kildare have tried to play without a midfield. What a load of crap.

Croker was like a morgue today - it was like a league game in February (for both matches)
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

lilyw wrote:

Kildare were shithouse.

Croker was like a morgue today - it was like a league game in February (for both matches)

Had the Dublin game on in the backgound, and I do believe the pulling and dragging is getting worse rather than better.
--DD--

Post by --DD-- »

lilyw wrote:

Kildare were shithouse.

The steady decline of the GAA continues. :thumbup:

If they wanted to make it half way interesting and competitive, they need to break up the ridiculously unfair, outdated and unbalanced 'inter-county' system.

Where's the challenge in Dublin (population 1 million) taking on tiny famine-ravished counties like Leitrim, Louth and Wexford who only have a handful of farmers to choose from.

The Dubs should romp to victory each and every year given the ridiculous advantages in population resources and finances. The fact that they don't is down to the fact that only malnourished unemployed knackers who are at the very bottom of the genetic spectrum are involved in Dublin GAA.

The GAA need to abolish counties, and bring in franchises, each of which have equal sized catchment areas, and an equal number of clubs feeding into the top side.

Fail to do this, and GAA will go the way of the dodo, and Irish rugger will take advantage.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

--DD-- wrote:
lilyw wrote:

Kildare were shithouse.

The steady decline of the GAA continues. :thumbup:

If they wanted to make it half way interesting and competitive, they need to break up the ridiculously unfair, outdated and unbalanced 'inter-county' system.

Where's the challenge in Dublin (population 1 million) taking on tiny famine-ravished counties like Leitrim, Louth and Wexford who only have a handful of farmers to choose from.

The Dubs should romp to victory each and every year given the ridiculous advantages in population resources and finances. The fact that they don't is down to the fact that only malnourished unemployed knackers who are at the very bottom of the genetic spectrum are involved in Dublin GAA.

The GAA need to abolish counties, and bring in franchises, each of which have equal sized catchment areas, and an equal number of clubs feeding into the top side.

Fail to do this, and GAA will go the way of the dodo, and Irish rugger will take advantage.

Hi

I was beginning to worry that you'd left the Anti-GAA work to your multis. However you're back and (in the words of Jamie Redknapp) - this is a "top top post".
--DD--

Post by --DD-- »

All irrefutable FACTS.
JoeyFantastic

Post by JoeyFantastic »

The support the county system has is bizarre considering it dooms the majority of counties to little or no chance of success. The vast majority of All-Irelands of either codes go to the usual suspects.
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

JoeyFantastic wrote:The support the county system has is bizarre considering it dooms the majority of counties to little or no chance of success. The vast majority of All-Irelands of either codes go to the usual suspects.

As is the case with most sporting leagues, Premiership Rugby & Soccer, Pro 12, Top 14, RWC, Soccer WC and Euro chamionships, La Liga.

In nearly all cases, only a small select group are real contenders with the balance making up the numbers.
JoeyFantastic

Post by JoeyFantastic »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
JoeyFantastic wrote:The support the county system has is bizarre considering it dooms the majority of counties to little or no chance of success. The vast majority of All-Irelands of either codes go to the usual suspects.

As is the case with most sporting leagues, Premiership Rugby & Soccer, Pro 12, Top 14, RWC, Soccer WC and Euro chamionships, La Liga.

In nearly all cases, only a small select group are real contenders with the balance making up the numbers.

True of pro leagues, but is it true of amateur ones?
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

While some counties have little chance in the AI, they do have chances in the provincial championships.
In particular Connacht & Ulster (excl last 10 years or so) Football Championships.
Witchfinder General

Post by Witchfinder General »

lilyw wrote:

Kildare were shithouse.

Kildare are up against the mighty Cavan in the qualifiers, if cavan actually had someone who could kick frees kildare would be in big trouble but as they dont, kildare will romp home.
witnof

Post by witnof »

Witchfinder General wrote:
lilyw wrote:

Kildare were shithouse.

Kildare are up against the mighty Cavan in the qualifiers, if cavan actually had someone who could kick frees kildare would be in big trouble but as they dont, kildare will romp home.

They have.... put he is on the Kildare panel :P
Witchfinder General

witnof wrote:
lilyw wrote:

Kildare were shithouse.

Shhh Dont mention the war, someone in the GAA has a very dark sense of humour.
piaras

Post by piaras »

witnof wrote:
lilyw wrote:

Kildare were shithouse.

Shhh Dont mention the war, someone in the GAA has a very dark sense of humour.

Was dead set to happen when both of them were in the draw really. Going to be interesting to see if he makes it onto the pitch during the game, he will be getting some abuse from the stands anyway.
Witchfinder General

It would certainly be a uncomfortable afternoon for him in breifne park.
ellebelle

Post by ellebelle »

Malahide Mullet wrote:The Meath filth will be easily dealt with

:roll:

Mullet loves Meath time again!!! ;) ;) ;)
Malahide Mullet

ellebelle wrote:

You people should be nuked
maherro

Post by maherro »

Malahide Mullet wrote:
ellebelle wrote:

You people should be nuked

Not enough suffering for my liking
Malahide Mullet

With a hammer
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Anyone give me a breakdown of the weekends games?
I know that Roscommon beat Armagh cause the auld lad was at it and that Donegal and the Dubs won
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Qualifiers:

Rossies beat Armagh. Came from behind to deservedly win by 2-3 points (can't remember exact score)

Westmeath lucky to beat Louth who were missing 3/4s of their 1st team and struggled to beat 13 men by 6 in the end

Cavan came from 8 points down to Fermanagh to win comfortably

Wicklow beat Waterford in extra time

Longford knocked out the worst Derry team in years

Tipp beat Offaly who are now on a real downer

Antrim lucky to beat London

Laois beat Carlow in a shite game. Luke Dempsey stepped down.

Ulster:

Donegal impressive against Tyrone and out Tyroned Tyrone. Still poxy to watch but going to be really hard to stop as they concede feck all.

Leinster

Dublin played shite but won. Wexford played well but missed too much in the 2nd half.

Meath were class and looked really up for it against Kildare. Good direct football and they had the forwards with craft. Kildare are basically a machine with no forwards. They don't have the natural footballers like Meath do. Sending off didn't help but I think Meath were a better team and would have won regardless.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Meath restored my faith in football a little yesterday, they were a joy to watch. High tempo football with forwards who can beat their man and take their scores is how the game should be played. Ive believed all along that Kildare are a manufactured side who will never make it to the next level. A credit to their manager no doubt, but they don't have the footballers to ever win anything. They're incapable of changing their game plan either as they cant pass the ball further than 10 yards and don't have the crafty forwards to beat their man or score from far out[apart from Johnny Doyle]. Sure they look great when theyre hammering the likes of Offaly and Laois who are athletically inferior but this can only carry them so far. Looking forward to the reception Seanie Johnston gets if he features in the Cavan match :lol:
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Conspicuous wrote:Meath restored my faith in football a little yesterday, they were a joy to watch. High tempo football with forwards who can beat their man and take their scores is how the game should be played. Ive believed all along that Kildare are a manufactured side who will never make it to the next level. A credit to their manager no doubt, but they don't have the footballers to ever win anything. They're incapable of changing their game plan either as they cant pass the ball further than 10 yards and don't have the crafty forwards to beat their man or score from far out[apart from Johnny Doyle]. Sure they look great when theyre hammering the likes of Offaly and Laois who are athletically inferior but this can only carry them so far. Looking forward to the reception Seanie Johnston gets if he features in the Cavan match :lol:

That's complete b******ks.

Kildare can absolutely score from far-out (2 years ago RTE were getting onto them for not working the ball inside before taking shots) - we don't have good inside scorers, especially since Kavanagh lost his mojo (that's what living in Galway does to you!). In particular Eoghan O'Flaherty is a really good long-distance shooter. Kildare had a very bad day at the office yesterday (Mikey Conway seemed to want to be anywhere other than in Croker, the midfield decided to take the day off, & Johnny Doyle got old in a flash) - however that follows 5 successive defeats of Meath.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

lilyw wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:Meath restored my faith in football a little yesterday, they were a joy to watch. High tempo football with forwards who can beat their man and take their scores is how the game should be played. Ive believed all along that Kildare are a manufactured side who will never make it to the next level. A credit to their manager no doubt, but they don't have the footballers to ever win anything. They're incapable of changing their game plan either as they cant pass the ball further than 10 yards and don't have the crafty forwards to beat their man or score from far out[apart from Johnny Doyle]. Sure they look great when theyre hammering the likes of Offaly and Laois who are athletically inferior but this can only carry them so far. Looking forward to the reception Seanie Johnston gets if he features in the Cavan match :lol:

That's complete b******ks.

Kildare can absolutely score from far-out (2 years ago RTE were getting onto them for not working the ball inside before taking shots) - we don't have good inside scorers, especially since Kavanagh lost his mojo (that's what living in Galway does to you!). In particular Eoghan O'Flaherty is a really good long-distance shooter. Kildare had a very bad day at the office yesterday (Mikey Conway seemed to want to be anywhere other than in Croker, the midfield decided to take the day off, & Johnny Doyle got old in a flash) - however that follows 5 successive defeats of Meath.

Its not bollox at all. Kildare score points from far out but also have a huge amount of wides when shooting from distance. If they had some footballers closer to goal this wouldnt be such an issue. Theyre incapable of passing the ball more than 10 yards though so cant adopt to a more direct gameplan when the need arises. This was evidenced in the Donegal match last year when Kildare were being closed down by the opposition they didnt know what to do. All the football was played by Meath yesterday, they were a breath of fresh air. I think McGeeney has taken Kildare as far as he can.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Conspicuous wrote: I think McGeeney has taken Kildare as far as he can.

I agree with you there. I think he'll be off to Armagh as soon as we get knocked out.

Glenn Ryan next cab off the rank.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

lilyw wrote:
Conspicuous wrote: I think McGeeney has taken Kildare as far as he can.

I agree with you there. I think he'll be off to Armagh as soon as we get knocked out.

Glenn Ryan next cab off the rank.

I always like Ryan as a player, very commited and had the brains to play centre back. He seems to be bringing these qualities into management and would offer something different to McGeeney
SASP

Post by SASP »

iarmhiman wrote:Qualifiers:

Rossies beat Armagh. Came from behind to deservedly win by 2-3 points (can't remember exact score)

Westmeath lucky to beat Louth who were missing 3/4s of their 1st team and struggled to beat 13 men by 6 in the end

Ulster:

Donegal impressive against Tyrone and out Tyroned Tyrone. Still poxy to watch but going to be really hard to stop as they concede feck all.

Leinster

Dublin played shite but won. Wexford played well but missed too much in the 2nd half.

Meath were class and looked really up for it against Kildare. Good direct football and they had the forwards with craft. Kildare are basically a machine with no forwards. They don't have the natural footballers like Meath do. Sending off didn't help but I think Meath were a better team and would have won regardless.

Donegal V Tyrone looked like two teams trying to play the same way in the first half canceling each other out. In the second Donegal started pressing higher up and were in control about halfway through the 2nd half. Tyrone looked a bit more skillful but Donegal were maybe a bit fitter. They ran up a good lead but sat back for the last 7/8 minutes. I know McGuinness was not happy about that.

You are right it is tough to watch but Donegal have used their backs on the counter better this year.
We have some ok forwards. It's all about out working the opposition.

I'm not sure we can go all they way.
However if they win the Ulster Final they will be the first side to come through the qualifier to win it twice in a row.
Why the Ulster champions had to play the qualifier this year I don't know.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

SASP wrote:

Ulster:

Leinster

Donegal V Tyrone looked like two teams trying to play the same way in the first half canceling each other out. In the second Donegal started pressing higher up and were in control about halfway through the 2nd half. Tyrone looked a bit more skillful but Donegal were maybe a bit fitter. They ran up a good lead but sat back for the last 7/8 minutes. I know McGuinness was not happy about that.

You are right it is tough to watch but Donegal have used their backs on the counter better this year.

However if they win the Ulster Final they will be the first side to come through the qualifier to win it twice in a row.

Punishment for playing puke football last year [even by Ulster stanndards] ;) Seriously though, isnt it just luck of the draw who plays in the preliminary round ?
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Kerry got a tough qualifier against Westmeath, hope we keep it competitive.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Conspicuous wrote:
SASP wrote:

Ulster:

Leinster

Punishment for playing puke football last year [even by Ulster stanndards] ;) Seriously though, isnt it just luck of the draw who plays in the preliminary round ?

So it would seem. Hasn't stopped us though.
piaras

Post by piaras »

ZappaMan wrote:Kerry got a tough qualifier against Westmeath, hope we keep it competitive.

It f*cking starts. :x

Kerry will win it handily.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

piaras wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:Kerry got a tough qualifier against Westmeath, hope we keep it competitive.

In 125 years of Championship football, Kerry have never once beaten Westmeath. The facts don't lie, piaras.
piaras

Post by piaras »

ZappaMan wrote:
piaras wrote:

In 125 years of Championship football, Kerry have never once beaten Westmeath. The facts don't lie, piaras.

You f*cker Zappa, that is well played though. Nothing to do with the fact that Westmeath won their first provinicial senior title in either code back in 2004 or so. (Bonus question name the two counties that have never won senior provinicial titles).
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Fermanagh and Wicklow.

*knocks it out of the park*
piaras

Post by piaras »

ZappaMan wrote:Fermanagh and Wicklow.

*knocks it out of the park*

Good man.
witnof

Post by witnof »

Cavan v Kildare is the match of the round without question. They have to play Seanie for the crack, name him in the starting 15....the crowds that would turn up!!
Malahide Mullet

Look at you smaller counties talking yourselves up!