London 2012 official OLYMPICS/PARALYMPICS discussion

All things Rugby
Hong Kong

Re: London 2012 official OLYMPICS discussion

Post by Hong Kong »

caught up a round up show last night and saw a number of events that we did very well in. Made me feel very proud.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

First news of the day...the Frogs having a go at our cycling (again, as from what I remember from Beijing, the coach, maybe even the same guy, used the phrase 'they [the British] seem to have an extra little engine', or words to that effect, which either alluded to drugs, or literally an extra little engine'.

This time they're blaming our 'magic wheels'.
London 2012: Are 'magic wheels' the secret to GB cycling dominance?

• French team director suggests 'hidden' wheels could be key
• Brailsford: fantastic coaching is reason behind our success

Great Britain's stranglehold on track cycling within the "Pringle" is so strong that other teams are clearly struggling for an explanation. The French team's director, Isabelle Gautheron, fuelled speculation here with the claim that the British have "magic wheels" which they keep hidden from the opposition and which are not those issued by their official sponsor, the French company Mavic.

"We are looking a lot at the kit they use," Gautheron told the French newspaper L'Equipe. "We are asking a lot of questions: how have they gained so many tenths of seconds? Have they found a new training process based on certain energy pathways? I am not talking about any illicit product, because anti-doping tests are so strong. Honestly, we are looking a lot at the kit they use. It is not yet time to analyse, though. It's all over for these Games."

She added that the French were suspicious about Great Britain's wheels: "They hide their wheels a lot. The ones for the bikes they race on are put in wheel covers at the finish [of a race]. Do they really have Mavic wheels?"

L'Equipe contacted Mavic, who officially supply France, Great Britain, Australia and France with wheels, and were told that, as far as the company was concerned, "all the teams have the same wheels".

Asked about the French claim that the British had a "magic" item of kit that made them go faster, and the speculation that might be wheels – "We know that they work with McLaren", said Gautheron – the head of marginal gains at British Cycling, Matt Parker, would say only: "We make sure the riders have the very best equipment available to them." Parker is a leading member of the "Secret Squirrels" led by Chris Boardman, who have the job of perfecting the technology used by the British team.

The British Cycling performance director, Dave Brailsford, said: "It's interesting that people are starting to ask questions. It's no different from when we raced the last three and a half weeks at the Tour de France. It's the same method, the same philosophy and essentially fantastic coaching which is the only secret weapon we possess. As far as the Olympic Games go, only two weeks are important: one week in Beijing, one week here. And we've peaked for both."

British Cycling's collaboration with UK Sport to produce a range of equipment for the team is widely known. To meet UCI rules, the kit has to be commercially available and the British Cycling kit can be bought through the UK Sports Institute website.

However, while the range of equipment listed on the website includes the distinctive red helmets used by Team GB in the velodrome, and the special aerodynamic wide forks that feature on their track bikes, one item does not appear: carbon-fibre disc wheels, indicating that contrary to French doubts, Great Britain could well be using standard kit.
Talking of which, does anyone know what Torq does for a living...maybe he's official spokesman for the French Olympic team?
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Ireland's Call wrote:
warriors wrote:Just looking at the potential hosts for 2020. Surprised NYC didn't put in a bid. Constantinople and Tokyo would be my preference out of the three going for the privilege of hosting. Not enthused about Madrid.
Madrid in the summer is awful
Heat or humidity?

Either way, Tokyo has the potential to be worse -- this summer almost every day has been over 35C with humidity in the 70~90% range
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

After Europe and S America, Asia should get the next games. That means Tokyo and Istanbul (maybe) so far in the race. Hopefully there will be some other decent entries, but please not cashed up ME bogans a la Doha, Dubai etc.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Richard Thompson was 7th with a time of 9.98s. Apparently that time would have seen him win gold in 21 previous olympic games. :lol:
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

would the runner with the highest terminal speed, be in the 100m, the 200m or a long jumper

the 100m winner is always referred to as the 'fastest man' in the world, rather than the 'quickest over 100m', they don't have to be both the same do they
colonel

Post by colonel »

fisgard792 wrote:would the runner with the highest terminal speed, be in the 100m, the 200m or a long jumper

the 100m winner is always referred to as the 'fastest man' in the world, rather than the 'quickest over 100m', they don't have to be both the same do they

It's bolt either way
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

fisgard792 wrote:would the runner with the highest terminal speed, be in the 100m, the 200m or a long jumper

I'm pretty sure it's the 100m as they all start decelerating at about 60m, IIRC.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Sefton wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's the 100m as they all start decelerating at about 60m, IIRC.
I actually thought it was the 200. Due to the flying start, the last 100 metres of a 200 metres race (Olympic standard) is run faster than the 100m Olympic record time (don't quote me on that, but I'm sure that's the case), and as such, you'd have to imagine they would then have to be going faster over that distance.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

I'd say in the 100m. They accelerate rapidly and guys like Bolt reach speeds of about 12.5m/s (45Kph) at about the 60m-70m mark. The rest of the race is a deceleration.

200m is a slightly different because it requires them to sustain the sprint for longer. So typically they would not reach the sort of speeds that you see in the 100m, as it would burn them out early in the race. In fact it's probably impossible to get to 12.5m/s around the bend, and by the time they reach the straight they are already decelerating.

The long jumper is a good shout too, but I think when you have to time your run-up so that you lands perfectly on the board then you won't reach the same speeds that a 100m guy can reach on a free run.
aqualung

Post by aqualung »

Fencing is gone, our olympics are over...too bad the two thefts from yestarday at gym and diving, but, that's it
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Sefton wrote:

I actually thought it was the 200. Due to the flying start, the last 100 metres of a 200 metres race (Olympic standard) is run faster than the 100m Olympic record time (don't quote me on that, but I'm sure that's the case), and as such, you'd have to imagine they would then have to be going faster over that distance.
I thought he was talking about peak rather than average though.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Sefton wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Sefton wrote:

Fair point. Just had a quick Google, and this site reckons that Michael Johnson did his last 100 metres in his World record 200m run in just 9.1 seconds. However, for flat out speed, it suggest that Bolt managed a mind boggling 27.79mph (44.72 km/h) in his World record 100m race! :shock:
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Sefton wrote:

Yes, the flying start in the 2nd half of the 200m is always faster than a 100m race from the blocks. But the absolute velocity reached in the 200m is lower than the velocity at around 60m in the 100m race.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Sefton wrote:

Fair point. Just had a quick Google, and this site reckons that Michael Johnson did his last 100 metres in his World record 200m run in just 9.1 seconds. However, for flat out speed, it suggest that Bolt managed a mind boggling 27.79mph (44.72 km/h) in his World record 100m race! :shock:
Here's an interesting table with 10m splits for some ofthe fastest times over the last 20 odd years:

Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

:lol: What a freak Bolt is.

He reached his top speed at about 50m and kept it up for a good 30m. And offcourse we all know that he jogged the last 15m of that race.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Righto Poms what are you lot going to win today ?
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Went to the team foil fencing yesterday - top day, Italians very good (went onto win gold in the final). Amazing semi between Japan & Germany.

As point out the semi's had a rather Axis feel about them (other semi finalists was USA).

KG
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

The girls hockey is on, there really is no logical explanation on why some of these kiwi girls are actually doable. It defies all human knowledge so far.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Hareaway wrote:Righto Poms what are you lot going to win today ?
I think it's going to be a quiet day. We (and yes, I know I'm lumping myself in with the term 'Pom' here) are not in the sailing medals today, and although we have a couple of hopefuls in the athletics, I don't think we've got a chance.

Our best bet for a Gold is the men's cycling sprints.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

None.
warriors

Post by warriors »

Can anybody explain why the French are embarrassing themselves with their bitterness? No wonder most of the world dislikes them!
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
I think it's going to be a quiet day. We (and yes, I know I'm lumping myself in with the term 'Pom' here) are not in the sailing medals today, and although we have a couple of hopefuls in the athletics, I don't think we've got a chance.

Think we hae a decent shout with the horsey jumping as well, not sure if it finishes today but the posh tarts/blokes are sitting in silver from what i could gather on the radio this morning.

The taff choker has a chance later to make up for his earlier effort but yeah the cycling is our best chance.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Akkerman wrote:The girls hockey is on, there really is no logical explanation on why some of these kiwi girls are actually doable. It defies all human knowledge so far.

Are you 12 ?
Smutley

Post by Smutley »

Odval wrote:The pre-start clown routine of every favourite -with the notable exception of Gay- was cringeworthy at best…
This. They are like the patter of some creepy fucker hanging around in a nightclub trying to get off with anyone and everyone and getting knocked back time after time.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympi ... -made.html
Arrest made after bottle thrown on to 100m track just before Bolt's bid for glory

A man has been arrested after a bottle was thrown on to the track at the start of the men's 100m final at the Olympic Stadium on Sunday night.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said a man had been heard shouting abuse and was then seen throwing a bottle immediately before the race, won by Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympi ... z22kZerl1M
Last edited by Insane_Homer on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Think we hae a decent shout with the horsey jumping as well, not sure if it finishes today but the posh tarts/blokes are sitting in silver from what i could gather on the radio this morning.

The taff choker has a chance later to make up for his earlier effort but yeah the cycling is our best chance.
I reckon Dai Greene isn't up to it. He's another in the Adlington 'build up way beyond their actual current ability' category.
Cthulu's Trilby

Post by Cthulu's Trilby »

Is that Danny de Vito throwing that bottle?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

There are about 30 men and women outside our office singing and seriously on the piss. The are polish and must be on their way to the volleyball. They must think they are not allowed to get pissed in the streets over here as they all have their cans concealed in paperbags.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Cthulu's Trilby wrote:Is that Danny de Vito throwing that bottle?
Danny le Vito actually.

Just another part of the vile French smearing campaign
zt1903

Post by zt1903 »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

I reckon Dai Greene isn't up to it. He's another in the Adlington 'build up way beyond their actual current ability' category.
Agree. Don't think Greene will even medal. He'll need to pull a huge performance out the bag to get anything. Bleasedale is a better outside chance of an athletics medal today.

On the plus side we have a great chance in both cycling sprints today and I think Trott will go well in the first half of the ladies omnium.

Equestrian looking like team silver at the moment but a good couple of possibilities for individual gold.

No sailing today? We are in 1st or 2nd in three other classes, when do they finish?
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Cthulu's Trilby wrote:Is that Danny de Vito throwing that bottle?

kim dot com looking resplendent in dutch orange too
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Might medal in women's pole vault, 400m, Uneven bars in Gymnastics, Show jumping, men and women's sprint final in cycling. Should have been in sailing but our man has had an injured back.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Question needing answered please ,

Why do all the diving girls get straight in the hot tub after their dive ?
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

eldanielfire wrote:
Might medal in women's pole vault, 400m, Uneven bars in Gymnastics, Show jumping, men and women's sprint final in cycling. Should have been in sailing but our man has had an injured back.
Dont think the female sprtin cycle final is today only the semis
jj's last brain cekk

Post by jj's last brain cekk »

Insane_Homer wrote:Keewees in the crowd :uhoh:
Dutch Judo Bronze Medalist Edith Bosch Punches Drunk Who Threw Bottle At 100 Meter Finalists

Dutch Judo Bronze Medalist Edith Bosch tweeted that she "has beaten" a drunk man who threw a bottle onto the track just before the 100-meter final at the Olympics.

Picture shows the bottle.

https://twitter.com/edithbosch/status/2 ... 3592413184
Tweet seems to have been deleted (assume the dutch girl is next to the bottle throwing dickhead above)
malky

Post by malky »

Spread bookies quote on GB gold is still around 27* this morning, so those of you who think 20+ is good should be very happy as these boys don't often get markets like this too wrong.

* Actual Sporting Index quote is 26.4-27.9
duke

Post by duke »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Dont think the female sprtin cycle final is today only the semis
Per the Beeb website, both Men's and Women's sprint finals are tonight.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

zt1903 wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Agree. Don't think Greene will even medal. He'll need to pull a huge performance out the bag to get anything. Bleasedale is a better outside chance of an athletics medal today.

On the plus side we have a great chance in both cycling sprints today and I think Trott will go well in the first half of the ladies omnium.

Equestrian looking like team silver at the moment but a good couple of possibilities for individual gold.

No sailing today? We are in 1st or 2nd in three other classes, when do they finish?
Greene is one of those world champions who didn't it in a field that wasn't as strong as it is in an Olympic year. Despite looking slow Dai Greene's qualifying time (2nd slowest) was faster then his world championship gold time last year. of course conditions, track etc come into play and Greene can certainly go faster from what he and others have said. But there are faster people then him out there. It would be nice for him to medal, apparently as Team GB captain he has given so inspirational and superb motivational speeches.

Holly Bleasedale will be interesting. She has literally come from out of nowhere to put-up incredible figures for a new athlete on the pole vaulting sceen. She could well medal but is up against the best by a distance of all time, but I think her time amy well be Rio as Yelena will probably be past it by then.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Bolt , McOnie even Robert Nesta Marley :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs2Y4PrWKNo&feature=plcp