The OFFICIAL replacement IRISH OLYMPIC BANDWAGON THREAD

All things Rugby
RWC2015

Re: The OFFICIAL replacement IRISH OLYMPIC BANDWAGON THREAD

Post by RWC2015 »

redderneck wrote:Ross would be well advised to save his best blade work for the dark and to keep his mouth shut. Give Hickey no outs for later on. Sadly I fear Ross is singularly illequipped to do anything quietly.

Nothing will come of this unless the IOC decide to push him under a bus.

Re. Salary - yes; an honorary role.

Can I have one on par ease?

Please do not fcuk this up; whomever is behind going after him.
:thumbup:
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Larry Murphy wrote:It's being reported that he tried to escape when he got wind the cops were in the hotel. He's 71 :lol: :lol: :lol:
A few judo throws maybe......like a suited Steven Seagal...
PourSomeRuggerOnMe

Post by PourSomeRuggerOnMe »

I hear he had used his ill-gotten gains to buy a crown and a fur coat
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:I hear he had used his ill-gotten gains to buy a crown and a fur coat

EverReady

Post by EverReady »

PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:I hear he had used his ill-gotten gains to buy a crown and a fur coat
The children in Castleknock called him Arkan after the Serbian paramilitary commander and criminal. How they made that connection at such a young age I cannot say but evil, blood and maggots has been mentioned in hushed tones
PourSomeRuggerOnMe

Post by PourSomeRuggerOnMe »

It's a sham, and a farce, and a...sham
Diego

Post by Diego »

Fúckin' hell
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

redderneck wrote: Please do not fcuk this up; whomever is behind going after him.
Delaney next so. And you can be sure he'll draw a wage as well as expenses.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Bullettyme wrote:
redderneck wrote: Please do not fcuk this up; whomever is behind going after him.
Not next, per my post on previous page. Next but one.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

EverReady wrote:You clearly hate success and sharp suits
Your friend is a slippery customer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-ame ... c_breaking
They say he slid his Olympic pass under the door when police came knocking and fled into the adjacent hotel room, where his son had been staying until recently.

After he was arrested he was taken ill and received medical attention, reports say.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

redderneck wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Not next, per my post on previous page. Next but one.
To be honest I think they should make him compete in the boxing, the sailing and the 10,000m.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

redderneck wrote:Supposedly Hickey's advancement from head of Judo in Ireland to his current role would make for a masterclass in politicking and stacking of small, seemingly irrelevant votes; quietly accumulating alliances which would eventually bring about the momentum he needed to usurp more glamourous/obvious candidates.
Was reading a recent Indo article about him earlier. Apparently he also made hay after the breakup of the USSR. Lots of new impoverished nations who he looked after in some form or another who then paid him back with loyalty. A masterclass in building up a solid political base from which he's been virtually unassailable.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Nolanator wrote:
redderneck wrote:Supposedly Hickey's advancement from head of Judo in Ireland to his current role would make for a masterclass in politicking and stacking of small, seemingly irrelevant votes; quietly accumulating alliances which would eventually bring about the momentum he needed to usurp more glamourous/obvious candidates.
Was reading a recent Indo article about him earlier. Apparently he also made hay after the breakup of the USSR. Lots of new impoverished nations who he looked after in some form or another who then paid him back with loyalty. A masterclass in building up a solid political base from which he's been virtually unassailable.
He has all the traits of an auctioneer ....... dodgey as fcuk.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

He's going to get alot more than a Hickey in prison.
Silvio Berlusconi

Post by Silvio Berlusconi »

Mullet 2 wrote:He's going to get alot more than a Hickey in prison.
he'll be getting a slip of the ol' javelin
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:He's going to get alot more than a Hickey in prison.
he'll be getting a slip of the ol' javelin
Vaulting a right few poles..... :blush:
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Idle digging this week turn up that UK Lotto diverts 20% of it's surplus to fund Sports. Clear as day on their website:

In the year ending 31 March 2016, the funds were shared as follows:

Health, education, environment and charitable causes – 40%
Sport – 20%
Arts – 20%
Heritage – 20%

Irish Lotto site gives us this opaque gem:

"The National Lottery generates funds for good causes in the areas of Youth, Sport, Recreation and Amenities, Health & Welfare, Arts, Culture & National Heritage and the Irish Language. Funds raised by the National Lottery are transferred to the Exchequer and are used to part-finance expenditure by various Government Departments on projects in these categories.

National Lottery funding is distributed through the following Government Departments and Bodies:

Department of Environment, Community and Local Government
Department of Education and Skills
Department of Children and Youth Affairs
Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht
Department of Health
Health Services Executive
Department of Public Expenditure and Reform"

You need to go digging for numbers/percentages. And digging. Then dig some more. By my quick calculations, less than 4.5% of the Irish lotto surplus goes to fund sports but due to the opaque nature of the site, this may not be accurate.

I am getting sick and fcuking tired of this little island of ours. Opaque seems to be our middle name.

The Republic of Stained Glass would be a more accurate name for our nation.

The Lotto truly disgusts me. It's another tax in effect, with monies being siphoned off into the coffers of those 7 different government ministries. A voluntary tax admittedly, unless you're one of rhe poor bastards with a gambling addiction, or who rationalise spending a proportiinally far more significant chunk of your disposable income in pursuit of a dream life-changing payoff. One which recent changes to the lottery have rendered ever less likely an occurance.

Absolute bloody con-job, considering it was sold to the people originally as being earmarked for investment into "sport and recreation; arts and culture, including the Irish language; and the health of the community". This in itself was a dilution of the original mooted purpose which was to be entirely sports-related, preferably grass-roots level.

Just a bucket of shit really.
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

Nolanator wrote:
The ironing of Teflon Pat coming unstuck at the Olympics is delicious. He has run the OCI like his own personal fiefdom eviscerating anyone who dared disagree with him. Lock him up and throw away the key.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Pat is clearly like Jayo Bourne so he must have let himself be caught.
Emily

Post by Emily »

Hickey is a venal pr%%k - please please let this be the end of him...... :nod: :nod: :nod:
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Emily wrote:Hickey is a venal pr%%k - please please let this be the end of him...... :nod: :nod: :nod:
Well said, that lady. Awful person.
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

18ChinsOfChinatown wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:That's great from Barr. Hopefully he medals, or what is the likelihood of that?

I guess this Olympics can be looked at bringing some athletes through and gaining experience.

He's a decent prospect, but with his recent injury woes, wouldn't have been considered a realistic medal hope coming into the competition. Thankfully, he seems to have found a bit of form, recording the third fastest time of the three semi finals and breaking his previous Irish record in the process. He's a strong finisher too, so if he can manage to stay in contention coming into the final 100m, anything is possible.
Good summary Chins.
The lane draw will be important. Inside Culson would be good and would give him someone to work off. The 400 hurdles can throw up some strange results and they is a possibility the final will be slower than the semis although the extra days rest will be a help especially for Thomas who has had such a disrupted season.
Thomas Barr is a genuinely nice individual and deserves what he has achieved so far. Credit too to Drew and Hayley Harrison who have an attritional rate with their athletes but when they get to the track they normally produce the goods.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Fair play to Barr, it will be utterly bizarre to watch an Irish athlete in an Olympic sprint final.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

ZappaMan wrote:Fair play to Barr, it will be utterly bizarre to watch an Irish athlete in an Olympic sprint final.

Somebody has never felt the raw passion of Mosney on Community Games day.
Emily

Post by Emily »

ZappaMan wrote:
Emily wrote:Hickey is a venal pr%%k - please please let this be the end of him...... :nod: :nod: :nod:

I just woke up and saw it on TWITTER, then just HAD to check this thread - I'm still laughing!!!!

I remember him in a segment on whatever preceded Prime Time (well over 10 years ago) , when one of the canoeist/kayakers, who had been reasonably successful in the previous Olympics ,questioning how OCI was run, allocation of funding etc, quiet polite guy whose name eludes me....Hickey himself turned up to "debate" ,and proceeded to read out from a debit sheet every last penny this canoeist had been given in funding over the previous years, other personal details of the canoeists life (family issues etc) and generally attempt to silence and destroy his reputation and accuse him of being selfish and ungrateful ; it was a hatchet job, but served its purpose and sent out a warning to others not to challenge the mighty Pat.
Last edited by Emily on Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Mullet 2 wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:Fair play to Barr, it will be utterly bizarre to watch an Irish athlete in an Olympic sprint final.

Gig of a lifetime for Aonghus McAnally.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

I'll say it. :blush:

Bizarre indeed. If he were from Iceland for example would we be putting a little inflection on that B word when saying it aloud?

I detest that The Olympics and the experience of watching them have turned me this damn cycnical about sports; an aspect of life that I have always cracked immense fun out of. :((
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Emily wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

I just woke up and saw it on TWITTER, then just HAD to check this thread - I'm still laughing!!!!

I remember him in a segment on whatever preceded Prime Time (well over 10 years ago) , when one of the canoeist/kayakers, who had been reasonably successful in the previous Olympics ,questioning how OCI was run, allocation of funding etc, quiet polite guy whose name eludes me....Hickey himself turned up to "debate" ,and proceeded to read out from a debit sheet every last penny this canoeist had been given in funding over the previous years, other personal details of the canoeists life (family issues etc) and generally attempt to silence and destroy his reputation and accuse him of being selfish and ungrateful ; it was a hatchet job, but served its purpose and sent out a warning to others not to challenge the mighty Pat.
Think may have been Ian Wiley if memory serves?

Certainly I know Wiley spoke up against the OCI set-up at a few stages.

Also - reflect on this; anyone less than impressed by Michael Carruth over the past wee while - he had a tilt at usurping Hickey in the past, back in 07 and got nowhere. Watch him try again.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

redderneck wrote:
Emily wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

Also - reflect on this; anyone less than impressed by Michael Carruth over the past wee while - he had a tilt at usurping Hickey in the past, back in 07 and got nowhere. Watch him try again.
The Wiley incident sounds vaguely familiar alright- Pat really has been a total prick for years hasn't he. Carruth's name is mud now so not a chance he will win it.
Emily

Post by Emily »

redderneck wrote:
Emily wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

Yes, that's the chap - knew it was an Ian. Hickey was completely shameless.
Last edited by Emily on Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Mullet 2 wrote:

I was too talented for the community games. BLOE championships all the way for Speedy Gonzalez me. Didn't they have bake offs and all sorts of shit at the community games?
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Emily wrote:
redderneck wrote:
Emily wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

Yes, that's the chap - knew it was an Ian. Hickey was completely shameless.
The standard tactic to use on any insider/whistleblower is to discredit them personally, in public, directly or preferably indirectly. In parallel, work your arse off behind the scenes to ensure the whistleblower becomes as isolated from any possible support as possible.

Decent rule of thumb is that when you see the ad hominem attack going in, you know the victim is likely to be spot-on with their allegations.

Hickey has an MSc in this; a Master of Slívínery & Chicanery.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

ZappaMan wrote:
I thought you would be right behind the ultra-corrupt Sports administrator Zappa ?

Don't most of them base themselves in Switzerland so they can avail of the excellent privacy & banking services there ? ;)
Emily

Post by Emily »

fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

Emily wrote:Image
Is there a video with Benny Hill music of the chase yet :D
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Ooooooohhhhh. Shades of Strauss-Kahn.

Love it.

Squirm you mendacious shit.
Emily

Post by Emily »

fishfoodie wrote:
Is there a video with Benny Hill music of the chase yet :D
I'd like to see him take on that burly officer on the right.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

This smells like a hatchet job on Hickey, by someone who knows. Got him through his son in the end.

Couldn't happen to a nicer chap.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

AIBA now dismissing judges from two fights involving Russians.

:lol: :lol:

Bit late now you duplicitous cúnts