The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thread

All things Rugby
Leinsterman

Re: The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thre

Post by Leinsterman »

Anyone got any decent football documentaries they can recommend?

I loved Sunderland Till I Die and the second season is coming soon.

An Impossible Job is class and still one of my favourite documentaries in any genre. You have to feel sorry for Graham Taylor by the end of it.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Leinsterman wrote:Anyone got any decent football documentaries they can recommend?

An Impossible Job is class and still one of my favourite documentaries in any genre. You have to feel sorry for Graham Taylor by the end of it.
The Leeds one is really good from last season on Prime.

I personally believe that that Mike Bassett: England Manager is the greatest documentary of all time
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

earl the beaver wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
New guy wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:I think all these media pundits are either kidding themselves or just trying to fill up media columns (there's not much else to talk about) if they think the season is going to be finished.
There is literally no chance of that without making a bollocks of next year in the process.
Right now, I'm thinking next season is a write off too, even if they scrap this one.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we didn't see professional sport in this country until 2021.
With the whole world giving it a money no object best minds approach I can't see us waiting 18 months for a vaccine but I don't think we will have sport until there is one
PL are in discussions around finishing the season in June with matches every day on TV.

Matches behind closed doors.

All players and staff tested, all (including families) still following social distancing outside of training/matches.
Football, in fact any professional sport, is nothing without the fans
Might as well televise games from Hackney Marshes

Just scrap this season, stop trying to appease the scousers, and start from scratch next season
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Winnie wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
New guy wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:I think all these media pundits are either kidding themselves or just trying to fill up media columns (there's not much else to talk about) if they think the season is going to be finished.
There is literally no chance of that without making a bollocks of next year in the process.
Right now, I'm thinking next season is a write off too, even if they scrap this one.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we didn't see professional sport in this country until 2021.
With the whole world giving it a money no object best minds approach I can't see us waiting 18 months for a vaccine but I don't think we will have sport until there is one
PL are in discussions around finishing the season in June with matches every day on TV.

Matches behind closed doors.

All players and staff tested, all (including families) still following social distancing outside of training/matches.
Football, in fact any professional sport, is nothing without the fans
Might as well televise games from Hackney Marshes

Just scrap this season, stop trying to appease the scousers, and start from scratch next season
In order, this is how I see the season should finish
- Finish all games in the summer incl playoffs
- Lewis Duckworth with/without playoffs
- Finish season now where points stand

Cancelling should not be an option. You have to have a 'workable' solution.
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

Leinsterman wrote:Anyone got any decent football documentaries they can recommend?

maradona one if you haven't seen it yet

netflix did a series about all the world cup winners, not fantastic but interesting for me since I barely knew about any world cup before 98
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

check out this massive list from r/soccer

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... kends_now/

also go through the comments for more options
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

I really enjoyed the Ronaldo documentary on Prime.
He seems like a decent bloke that is just hell-bent on being the best.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Frodder wrote:
New guy wrote:

This season is complete write off with all results voided. Next season severely delayed with drastic measures required to condense the season.

Scrap the milk/rumbelows/coca cola/capital one cup
Scrap the FA Cup
All Euro ties to be 1 legged
All International friendlies binned
Forever hopefully.
New guy

Post by New guy »

LandOTurk wrote:In order, this is how I see the season should finish

I think the notion of finishing all 10 remaining games (and playoffs) before players contracts expire on June 30th is a long shot. After that you have a massive problem as teams will start to lose players, and will be unable to bring in new ones as they wont even know what budget they're working with for next season. You could finish with points as they stand but then Villa are getting relegated having played 1 game less and Sheffield United miss Champions League with a game in hand (although I can't see there being a proper Champions League next season anyway).

Honestly I think they should aim to get all games played before the end of June but if that deadlines missed, cancel and start over.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

New guy wrote:

I think the notion of finishing all 10 remaining games (and playoffs) before players contracts expire on June 30th is a long shot. After that you have a massive problem as teams will start to lose players, and will be unable to bring in new ones as they wont even know what budget they're working with for next season. You could finish with points as they stand but then Villa are getting relegated having played 1 game less and Sheffield United miss Champions League with a game in hand (although I can't see there being a proper Champions League next season anyway).

Honestly I think they should aim to get all games played before the end of June but if that deadlines missed, cancel and start over.

Not sure they even have to finish all games. Those teams at the bottom now they have little time left. Even if 5 more games were played, they had their chance. The thing with footy is you can play games every 3rd day - at least for a month. That's 10 games in 30 days. Just play the whole of June. Forget the Champions League.
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

For me the interesting thing about this is not the fact that he was prepared to sacrifice two weeks wages but that he had a balaclava in his house in the first place.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Scumbags gonna scumbag.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

McLean you twit.

He should go and play in another country as all he's doing now is making it worse for himself.

He's not even that good a footballer. Great heart but not an ounce of skill
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

I see Belorussian soccer is all the rage now.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Given there is a winter world cup coming up in the next few years, why aren't UEFA trying take this enforced opportunity to adjust for that now rather than trying to get back to normal? This surely gives them an opportunity rather than causing extra fiddling over several years.
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

New guy wrote:

I think it's doable if they do everything behind close doors.
If all the players+staff+medics+referees quarantine themselves for 2 weeks, they can play the games in very isolated circumstances.

I'm just thinking of the leagues at the moment
pigsy

Post by pigsy »

I am sure this has been discussed already, but I don't understand the really strong pushback from players and the PFA regarding wage reductions for PL players.

What was the collective wisdom of the bored on this? Gordon Taylor's arguments were impenetrable.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

My take is that they're a bunch of c*nts. Are lower league players being furloughed?
earl the beaver

pigsy wrote:I am sure this has been discussed already, but I don't understand the really strong pushback from players and the PFA regarding wage reductions for PL players.

What was the collective wisdom of the bored on this? Gordon Taylor's arguments were impenetrable.
From my reading the PFA seem to say that pay reductions deprive the government of tax.

However, they don't appear to notice that if players taking a small pay cut meant that the hundreds of non-playing staff at each club not being furloughed it would actually save the government money on that front.
pigsy

Post by pigsy »

earl the beaver wrote:
pigsy wrote:I am sure this has been discussed already, but I don't understand the really strong pushback from players and the PFA regarding wage reductions for PL players.

From my reading the PFA seem to say that pay reductions deprive the government of tax.

However, they don't appear to notice that if players taking a small pay cut meant that the hundreds of non-playing staff at each club not being furloughed it would actually save the government money on that front.
Yep, even a 10% cut on only Kevin de Bruyne's salary will ensure that around 50 workers on average salary can be kept on full pay.

No-one is talking about the lower league players not on big salaries. I wonder if many lower league and semi-pro clubs could go under.

I would have thought the bottom of the championship and below are all at risk
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Surely theres no way in hell a 300k a week footballer is paying 50% tax?
Do they not have a shit-ton of tax avoidance schemes? Plus all their media/image rights going through offshore accounts? And all their commercial sponsorships?
New guy

Post by New guy »

earl the beaver wrote:

Yep, they completely missed the point. Just pay Harry Kane £200K this week instead of £250K. It's not rocket science is it?

At least Liverpool had the decency to rescind on their decision to Furlough.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Just seen Newcastle are on the verge of becoming the richest club in the league. Players agents across the world will be dancing in the streets if it goes through.

Owners worth £260 billion. :uhoh:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

earl the beaver wrote:

Spurs for example announced they would furlough the non playing staff without having any discussion over wages with the players then through the media asked the players to take a pay cut.
Spurs have now decided they can pay their staff after all.the clubs had basically decided to take the easy way out and let the tax payer pay their staff.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

New guy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Yep, they completely missed the point. Just pay Harry Kane £200K this week instead of £250K. It's not rocket science is it?

At least Liverpool had the decency to rescind on their decision to Furlough.
Like Spurs that had nothing to do with decency and everything to do with fan pressure and optics.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

New guy wrote:Just seen Newcastle are on the verge of becoming the richest club in the league. Players agents across the world will be dancing in the streets if it goes through.

They are clearly not on the verge of that. As Man City have found out financial fair play rules now have teeth and clubs spending is dependent on their football related earnings. Newcastle are currently around 57 in the world. Some dodgy accounting and sponsorship deals will see them rise rapidly but they have a long way to go.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Anonymous. wrote:
New guy wrote:Just seen Newcastle are on the verge of becoming the richest club in the league. Players agents across the world will be dancing in the streets if it goes through.

They are clearly not on the verge of that. As Man City have found out financial fair play rules now have teeth and clubs spending is dependent on their football related earnings. Newcastle are currently around 57 in the world. Some dodgy accounting and sponsorship deals will see them rise rapidly but they have a long way to go.
It's still a far, far cry from having Mike Ashley bleeding your club dry.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

another team to loathe in the PL, that list is growing every year
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

That would fund Northern Irelands spending budget for 26 years, a country of almost 2 million people. :uhoh: :uhoh:
New guy

Post by New guy »

Anonymous. wrote:

Hard to predict what will happen in sport from now on, but I could definitely see them doing a City and buying success even if that means they get a slap on the wrist by UEFA in a decades time.

Only took City a couple of seasons to go from absolute obscurity to PL champions.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

New guy wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

Hard to predict what will happen in sport from now on, but I could definitely see them doing a City and buying success even if that means they get a slap on the wrist by UEFA in a decades time.

Only took City a couple of seasons to go from absolute obscurity to PL champions.
The fine they have been given is nothing but no CL for 2 years is much more than a slap on the wrists. Could have an impact on players wanting to leave/stay. Obviously only if it gets upheld but can't imagine it will tbh
New guy

Post by New guy »

No I don't think it'll get upheld either. Still, the threat of no Champions League isn't exactly a deterrent for a club like Newcastle. Cant miss what you've never had.

If the FA start enforcing FFP rules then it'll be a different matter entirely.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

New guy wrote:No I don't think it'll get upheld either. Still, the threat of no Champions League isn't exactly a deterrent for a club like Newcastle. Cant miss what you've never had.

If the FA start enforcing FFP rules then it'll be a different matter entirely.
THat's true but I was working on the assumption that Newcastle end up in a position similar to City's and then get a ban in X number of years. It's a deterrent in that clubs should hopefully see, if it's upheld, that you just can't buy success to the same degree.
earl the beaver

Newcastle have massive scope for investment to be able to meet FFP, it's a one team city and the only top tier team in the North East (and if Leeds don't go up the nearest PL side will be Sheffield or Manchester City).

They already get big crowds and the stadium is in need of improvement, if they expand capacity they can get more ticket sales and more sponsorship deals that won't fall foul of FFP.

They have spent very little in recent years (until this season) giving them scope to invest immediately under FFP.

They are coming from a mid table base where their real failings have been in front of goal, a proper goal scorer would lead to them moving up the table, they are the joint lowest scorers this season and scored 14 goals less than the team below them last season.

If the owners want to do it right they don't need to invest billions in players from the start.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Transfer fees are definitely going down and bargains will be had as clubs are desperate for cash. It ripe for Newcastle to make a move.

The gap between the haves and have nots is only going to grow wider.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Rumham wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

It's still a far, far cry from having Mike Ashley bleeding your club dry.
That is what I said wasn't it
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

New guy wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

It took them 4 seasons of mega spending before their first championship winning season. During that time there were no FFP rules. Newcastle can't do the same thing.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

earl the beaver wrote:Newcastle have massive scope for investment to be able to meet FFP, it's a one team city and the only top tier team in the North East (and if Leeds don't go up the nearest PL side will be Sheffield or Manchester City).

They already get big crowds and the stadium is in need of improvement, if they expand capacity they can get more ticket sales and more sponsorship deals that won't fall foul of FFP.

They have spent very little in recent years (until this season) giving them scope to invest immediately under FFP.

They are coming from a mid table base where their real failings have been in front of goal, a proper goal scorer would lead to them moving up the table, they are the joint lowest scorers this season and scored 14 goals less than the team below them last season.

If the owners want to do it right they don't need to invest billions in players from the start.
Expanding the stadium would hardly make a difference. More than half the prem clubs could play in an empty stadium and still turn a profit. Anyway it seems they are looking at doing this the right way so good luck to them. £200m invested in infrastructure and players over three years is sensible.

Newcastle is being bought by a consortium which would suggest their aim is to make money. Can't see them splashing the cash like city

The Saudi's are ready to make a series of three-yearly injections into the Geordies to build them up into Champions League challengers
Detailed financial plans have been submitted to the Premier League in a 350 page dossier they hope will get approval in the next fortnight.

Around £200m will be available to spend building the foundations of the club over the next few years – before further boost are provided if the club is challenging and making waves
Kevin de Bruyne, Rodri, Riyad Mahrez, Joao Cancelo, Aymeric Laporte, Raheem Sterling, Benjamin Mendy, John Stones and Kyle Walker all clocked in at over £50m to help City win the last two league titles.
C69

Post by C69 »

Klopp is a legend, that is all.
:thumbup:
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Just watching Season 2 of Sunderland Till I Die, I'd never realised they bought Will Grigg. £3m? :shock: :lol:
Have to say Stewart Donald comes across well in it but Charlie Methven... dunno if it's how it's edited but he comes across as a right prat sometimes who would rather be back down in London.
You'd have to think they would have been promoted if Maja hadn't left them.