The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thread

All things Rugby
Anonymous 1

Re: The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Really happy for Lanzini. Nearly everything good we did came from him before he did his cruciate. Since his comeback he has struggled to make an impact. I hope he kicks on from that goal.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:24 pm COME ON WEST HAM :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was earnt by West Ham. That wasn't a collapse.

I've watched them do this at Arsenal as well. Seriously hard working and awkward team to face. They. Just. Keep. Coming.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Well, that poohed all over a brilliant weekend.
New Guy 2

Post by New Guy 2 »

Just when I was starting to think Spurs could be title contenders :lol:

Such a weird season. At this rate Aston Villa will be champions.
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

New Guy 2 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:30 pm Just when I was starting to think Spurs could be title contenders :lol:

Such a weird season. At this rate Aston Villa will be champions.
And let's not forget, the one aspect of VAR no-one has a problem with (goal line tech) failed to relegate Villa last season when it should have done. Bournemouth should demand delivery of the ugly cup... :o
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Wendigo7 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:35 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:24 pm COME ON WEST HAM :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was earnt by West Ham. That wasn't a collapse.

I've watched them do this at Arsenal as well. Seriously hard working and awkward team to face. They. Just. Keep. Coming.
I agree. They've made big improvements this season. A little more firepower and they'd be a nightmare.

I'd love them more if Rice played for Ireland rather than England. He's a fine, fine player.
bok_viking

Post by bok_viking »

I am starting to think this might be one of those seasons where a team nobody thought had a hope of winning the PL might actually do it. Maybe it might be worth putting a bet on someone like Everton to actually do it.

Just imagine the Liverpool supporters if Everton had to do it. :lol: :twisted:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

bok_viking wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 pm I am starting to think this might be one of those seasons where a team nobody thought had a hope of winning the PL might actually do it. Maybe it might be worth putting a bet on someone like Everton to actually do it.

Everton can't win it with that comedy goalkeeper
bok_viking

Post by bok_viking »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:06 pm
bok_viking wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 pm I am starting to think this might be one of those seasons where a team nobody thought had a hope of winning the PL might actually do it. Maybe it might be worth putting a bet on someone like Everton to actually do it.

Maybe not, but they do look pretty good for the most part so far, specially going forward. All I am saying is that this early in the season, things has not been that easy for the traditional top 6 teams, and there has been a few crazy results already. And the so called weaker teams all seem to believe they stand a chance to get something out of games with the big teams at the moment.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

bok_viking wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:14 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Maybe not, but they do look pretty good for the most part so far, specially going forward. All I am saying is that this early in the season, things has not been that easy for the traditional top 6 teams, and there has been a few crazy results already. And the so called weaker teams all seem to believe they stand a chance to get something out of games with the big teams at the moment.
I think Everton have looked very good so far, but the Liverpool midfield gave Allen the run around. Previously he anchoring that midfield very well, but they made him into a liability. Bypassing him gives a clean run at a back 4 with two very attacking fullbacks, two tug boats between them, and a 5'6 goalkeeper.
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

Everton won't win it. Squad depth isn't there really to last a full season. If 2 of Allan, Doucoure, Gomes, Digne or Rodrigues are injured for a prolonged spell, the team will really struggle.

Top 4 is a real possibility since a lot of the top teams seem so inconsistent
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Liverpool won't win the league without Van Dijk. They're not good at all defensively this season.

No real stick out teams so far. Safe money would be on City maybe to win but they're poor defensively.

Spurs have no midfield and if either Son or Kane get injured they're screwed.

Arsenal look the most solid and will win most of their home games but won't win the big games away.

United have too many passengers and will be lucky to finish 4th.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:34 pm Liverpool won't win the league without Van Dijk. They're not good at all defensively this season.

No real stick out teams so far. Safe money would be on City maybe to win but their poor defensively.

Arsenal look the most solid and will win most of their home games but won't win the big games away.

City would be the safe money, but we would all hate to see it. Hyper competitive league this year. Great to see. Chelsea and Leicester are no mugs either, and will be there at the business end of the season.
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

SFBB wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:36 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:34 pm Liverpool won't win the league without Van Dijk. They're not good at all defensively this season.

No real stick out teams so far. Safe money would be on City maybe to win but their poor defensively.

City would be the safe money, but we would all hate to see it. Hyper competitive league this year. Great to see. Chelsea and Leicester are no mugs either, and will be there at the business end of the season.
Can't see Chelsea doing it. Great attacking talent but they concede so many goals. I think they were bottom half of the table last season for that.

United's squad is too good not to finish top 6 but they're a very weak team. They looked so ropey against Newcastle for large parts of the game.

City are probably favourites now that VVD is injured but they look shaky too.

Honestly thought for a moment Spurs would do it but then the final 10 mins yesterday just showed they're vulnerable as always
bok_viking

Post by bok_viking »

tiddle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:42 pm

Can't see Chelsea doing it. Great attacking talent but they concede so many goals. I think they were bottom half of the table last season for that.

United's squad is too good not to finish top 6 but they're a very weak team. They looked so ropey against Newcastle for large parts of the game.

Honestly thought for a moment Spurs would do it but then the final 10 mins yesterday just showed they're vulnerable as always
For me United's big problem is heir defense. It is criminal that they did not sign any CD this season. I think their attack is pretty good, but there is no trust in their defense at the moment, and I think as a result the team is very hesitant going forward. Unless they can get confidence in their defense back, they will continue t have disjointed showings on game days.

At this moment it just feel like another season like the one that Leicester City won the league. They also did not have massive depth that year. So as things are going now, one of those teams that are not involved in Champions league or Euro Cup games might just have a decent chance if they can keep injuries to a minimum and keep the energy levels going. As long as the Top 6 keep having very inconsistent form.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Chelsea bought a lot of good players in the window. I think once they settle down they could be in with a big chance. I don't think Everton have got a strong enough squad. It will be interesting to see how Liverpool go without Van Dyke. City need Aguero because they always look like they could concede a couple of goals. Bale will be a big plus for a good Spurs side. The title is coming to London
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:00 pm

Chelsea bought a lot of good players in the window. I think once they settle down they could be in with a big chance. I don't think Everton have got a strong enough squad. It will be interesting to see how Liverpool go without Van Dyke. City need Aguero because they always look like they could concede a couple of goals. Bale will be a big plus for a good Spurs side. The title is coming to London
Chelsea can't defend.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:01 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:00 pm

Chelsea can't defend.
Like I said give them time to bed in. They bought a lot of players. Plus they bought a new keeper because the one yesterday keeps making mistakes like the one that cost them a goal. The new one is injured and Silva will be an improvement.
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

Christensen, Zouma and Kepa are all liabilities. They have a weak defence.

I hope Everton or even Villa could do it but I can see both teams unraveling at Xmas. Then again, the same was said of Leicester...
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

I think Chelsea’s issues are at the base of midfield. Kante cannot pass 5 meters and Jorginho is the softest mid in the league. With Silva in the side I’d tempted to play him at DM and put Cesar at CB with Tomori. At least they aren’t calamity players. Silva can slip into CB going forward considering the attacking nature of the side generally.

You can only have Jorginho if you plan on having all the ball, and Kante if you plan on having none. Rice really was the perfect solution for them, but they needed 27 wingers instead.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Kante is a multiple premier league winner and a world cup winner, he doesn't dictate the tempo of a game but saying he can't pass and that Declan fúcking Rice is better than him is taking piss.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

earl the beaver wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm Kante is a multiple premier league winner and a world cup winner, he doesn't dictate the tempo of a game but saying he can't pass and that Declan fúcking Rice is better than him is taking piss.
Declan f**king Rice?

One of the consistently bright sparks in an England team which recently beat the No1 ranked team in the world. He's not bad you know.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

tiddle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:28 pm Christensen, Zouma and Kepa are all liabilities. They have a weak defence.

I hope Everton or even Villa could do it but I can see both teams unraveling at Xmas. Then again, the same was said of Leicester...
If Everton finish 7th they will do well. Villa might get top 10
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

earl the beaver wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm Kante is a multiple premier league winner and a world cup winner, he doesn't dictate the tempo of a game but saying he can't pass and that Declan fúcking Rice is better than him is taking piss.
I don't expect him to be Pirlo in the midfield, but he is just about the worst passer of the ball for a midfielder I've ever seen. He ruins any and all fluidity that Chelsea have trying to switch play and transition from defense to attack.

Rice on the other had is a calm possessor of the ball. He also isn't Pirlo, but he can step forward and play a range of passes. Plus he is a very good defensive mid, and potentially a very good CB in time.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Rice is a quality player. He is only 21 and getting better all the time. He is also someway off his physical peak. Kante is still a quality player. The game against Southampton was a low point for him but I'm sure he will bounce back. I think maybe he needs a new challenge.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

What ever their faults, nice to see Newcastle fans boycott the Pay per view match and donate cash to charity raising £20,000 instead.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 58255.html
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Someone's up in arms over Aguero getting touchy-feely with a female linesperson. In the grauniad, no less.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... -any-woman

I wasn't aware of it before noticing the article, but do agree players need to keep their mitts to themselves.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

tiddle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:28 pm Christensen, Zouma and Kepa are all liabilities. They have a weak defence.

Everton are the ones to watch for me - great depth and talent in the squad, and arguably the best manager in the league.

I backed them e/w two games into the season - City are the odds on faves with the bookies, but a top 3 finish for Everton would make me very happy.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

I don't think Everton have great depth tbf, they've invested heavily in the likes of Allan, Doucore and Rodriguez because the players they have replaced aren't good enough to push for a top 6 finish (Davies/Besic/Delph/Sigudsson) if regular fixtures

They're also heavily reliant on Calvert-Lewin as Tosun is a bit rubbish.

Pickford is an issue obviously too, although he does have Olsen who is a solid if not very top tier keeper.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

What is it with Liverpool and Man Utd, like seriously?
New Guy 2

Post by New Guy 2 »

Great win in Paris. First time PSG have lost at home in the group stages since 2004 :shock:.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

New Guy 2 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:52 pm Great win in Paris. First time PSG have lost at home in the group stages since 2004 :shock:.
Awesome result. What a game from Rashford. Start to finish he was excellent.

Shame about the owners.
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

Fat frank in danger of losing his job before xmas
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Last edited by P in VG on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Missed the game. Got one more 5 a side in before lockdown.

Can't believe that result. Just means they will lose this weekend
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

tiddle wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 pm Fat frank in danger of losing his job before xmas
I don't like Lampard but I think he has the makings of a great manage. Did well to get top 4 last season and this season I think they will do it comfortably. I think they will challenge for the title.
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

What makes him such a great manager? Spending 200 million on attacking talent?
I think there's very little evidence he has done much to the shape this team. He inherited a team that finished 3rd under Sarri and then struggled to finish top 4.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

tiddle wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:00 pm What makes him such a great manager? Spending 200 million on attacking talent?
I think there's very little evidence he has done much to the shape this team. He inherited a team that finished 3rd under Sarri and then struggled to finish top 4.
"I think he has the makings of a great manage"
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

fair, I misread
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Real Madrid 0-3 Shakhtar Donetsk

Wtf is going on? :lol: