The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thread

All things Rugby
iarmhiman

Re: The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thread

Post by iarmhiman »

Dozy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:24 pm This is kill the game. No relegation or motivation. Look at the pro 14 .....terrible stuff.
Yea but Welsh tv money
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

ovalball wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:21 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:07 pm
Winnie wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:35 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:14 pm
Winnie wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 pm
The six have breached the premier league rules and could be thrown out
Sky cannot refuse to pay on that contract if the Premier league abides by its own contract
Sky could sue the 6 clubs
didnt realise you had in depth knowledge of the contract. What rules have they breached and what specific sanction allows expulsion for that breach
I see the clubs are saying they wont bother suing the premier league they will go straight for UEFA and FIFA
WE'LL SUE EU European Super League rebels threaten to sue Fifa AND Uefa if they try to ban clubs from starting breakaway competition
Martin Lipton
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... fa-threat/
Surely FiFa and Uefa need do nothing other than not approve the new league. If the Premier League kick the clubs out for entering an unapproved competition, the Super League will never get off the ground.
I have to imagine that nothing that has been said is a surprise to the 12 clubs and presumably they have their counter positions lined up. It will be interesting to see what their next (already choreographed) step is.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

lilyw wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:26 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:14 pm
didnt realise you had in depth knowledge of the contract. What rules have they breached and what specific sanction allows expulsion for that breach
I see the clubs are saying they wont bother suing the premier league they will go straight for UEFA and FIFA
WE'LL SUE EU European Super League rebels threaten to sue Fifa AND Uefa if they try to ban clubs from starting breakaway competition
Martin Lipton
Surely FiFa and Uefa need do nothing other than not approve the new league. If the Premier League kick the clubs out for entering an unapproved competition, the Super League will never get off the ground.
I have to imagine that nothing that has been said is a surprise to the 12 clubs and presumably they have their counter positions lined up. It will be interesting to see what their next (already choreographed) step is.
I think they will have been taken aback by the scenes in the House of Commons today.

Whilst the British Government cannot stop the European Super League, they can stop the British Clubs from taking part. Boris Johnson has basically said that the British Government will pass whatever laws it takes to stop it.

This could include changing ownership rules and also refusing work permits/work visas for any clubs taking part, meaning that they can't sign any foreign players and the other clubs can't come and play here.

You can have all the expensive lawyers you want but if the Lawmakers are determined to stop it, and willing to pass primary legislation to stop it, you are f**ked.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

I understand these matches will be played midweek.

PL can schedule matches on the same evenings.

Dock points for fielding weakened teams.

Get these clubs relegated.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

I think they should combine some of the Premier League teams together for the Super League. Then introduce drafts to choose the players. Finally, play the matches 50 minutes each way and call it the 100. :lol:
El Homerino

Post by El Homerino »

I see City and Chelsea were coerced into this bullshit by the clubs run by Americans. This has all been forced not so much by the American owners, but the American banks who are providing these clubs with money. Worried they wont receive scheduled repayments due to the Pandemic, they steamroll this shit. Looks like it has gone too far to turn back. Hard to believe what is happening. The whole thing is repulsive.
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:08 pm Spurs haven't won the league since 1961. How can, besides greed and money they be ranked over the dozen or so sides who have won it since? :lol:
At least we know how Spurs made the cut.
I'm seriously worried at the place Spurs have put themselves. Already quite a hated club, they're now supremely hated by those excluded. And to fellow founders of the Americana Plastic Franchise League, they're useful idiots. They are politically useful, financially prospective and absolutely no sort of sporting threat. Luckily for me, my devotion is drifting away on a fast undercurrent.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:08 pm Spurs haven't won the league since 1961. How can, besides greed and money they be ranked over the dozen or so sides who have won it since? :lol:
Cant see the problem with it being based on earnings.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:04 pm
Dozy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:24 pm This is kill the game. No relegation or motivation. Look at the pro 14 .....terrible stuff.
Yea but Welsh tv money
No Welsh teams in the 12. Which is why it will fail.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

mdaclarke wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:37 pm
lilyw wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:26 pm
Martin Lipton
I think they will have been taken aback by the scenes in the House of Commons today.

Whilst the British Government cannot stop the European Super League, they can stop the British Clubs from taking part. Boris Johnson has basically said that the British Government will pass whatever laws it takes to stop it.

This could include changing ownership rules and also refusing work permits/work visas for any clubs taking part, meaning that they can't sign any foreign players and the other clubs can't come and play here.

You can have all the expensive lawyers you want but if the Lawmakers are determined to stop it, and willing to pass primary legislation to stop it, you are f**ked.
I'd actually love the 50%+1 rule to come into UK professional sports clubs, particularly football.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

I think there was no way the fan and media reaction would be this loud and that multiple Governments would say they would take action.

Indeed. What's more the law makers will have tides of public and media support on the issue. It seems the players and coaches so far have come out against it.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

El Homerino wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:30 am I see City and Chelsea were coerced into this bullshit by the clubs run by Americans. This has all been forced not so much by the American owners, but the American banks who are providing these clubs with money. Worried they wont receive scheduled repayments due to the Pandemic, they steamroll this shit. Looks like it has gone too far to turn back. Hard to believe what is happening. The whole thing is repulsive.
Chelsea have an American running their business also don't they? I doubt they needed to be coerced.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Football · Trending
Florentino Perez
Real Madrid president and the first chairman of the European Super League, Florentino Pérez, defends the breakaway competition saying that it will 'will help football and take it to its rightful place in the world'
Because it's not by far and away the biggest sport in the world by just about every metric?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

I genuinely think this is a ploy to get a bigger slice of the CL pie. There's no way they're going ahead with this after the reaction it's got.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Frodder wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 am I genuinely think this is a ploy to get a bigger slice of the CL pie. There's no way they're going ahead with this after the reaction it's got.
As an Arsenal fam, I can confirm Stingy Stan is that distant and removed that he barely see's or understands the fan backlash. They probably thought there would be a backlash but are currently failing to understand how HUGE and significant the backlash is and is just seeing it as a reaction as "Oh we knew some fans would be unhappy".
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

Apologies if RR but the Corden has spoken...
https://twitter.com/i/status/1384339056700526595
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

I can't remember where I read it but was interesting to read the SL refer to people as "legacy fans"

They don't care if they lose 50K fans in the UK, those will be replaced by 5 million fans across the globe.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 am I can't remember where I read it but was interesting to read the SL refer to people as "legacy fans"

They don't care if they lose 50K fans in the UK, those will be replaced by 5 million fans across the globe.
I was teasing a massive ManU fan in the office today by calling him a 'Legacy Fan'. He didn't like it. :lol:
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:43 am
I think there was no way the fan and media reaction would be this loud and that multiple Governments would say they would take action.

Indeed. What's more the law makers will have tides of public and media support on the issue. It seems the players and coaches so far have come out against it.
So a piece of legislation that designates 1 local private business (the FA) & 2 foreign ones (UEFA & FIFA) as somehow special and specifies that other private businesses (the clubs) have to do do business only with them & have no rights to conduct business in any other way.

Good luck with that - even without the ECJ I struggle to see that standing up in court when the corporate lawyers get their hands on it.

In any case is that the business environment that the Tories want to project - we reserve the right to arbitrarily change the rules for any market simply to protect our image.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:39 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 am I can't remember where I read it but was interesting to read the SL refer to people as "legacy fans"

I was teasing a massive ManU fan in the office today by calling him a 'Legacy Fan'. He didn't like it. :lol:
I will wear legacy fan like a badge of honour.

Unlike those nouveau riche like Winnie.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Reflecting on this I can’t see how it’s any business of governments how private owned businesses organise their matters.

It’s globalisation borne large, and the reaction of the Multi Millionaires in the rest of the premier league is how everyone left behind in the rust belt feel on a daily basis for decades.

The eventual aim will be a global franchise their market is Asia and the “World Series” of footy.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am Reflecting on this I can’t see how it’s any business of governments how private owned businesses organise their matters.

It’s globalisation borne large, and the reaction of the Multi Millionaires in the rest of the premier league is how everyone left behind in the rust belt feel on a daily basis for decades.

The eventual aim will be a global franchise their market is Asia and the “World Series” of footy.
As I said above I can't see any possible legal avenue for any Government to interfere. If they end up with a Global franchise model with ring-fenced leagues & no local feeders - who will become the Washington Generals to RM's or MU's Harlem Globetrotters?
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am Reflecting on this I can’t see how it’s any business of governments how private owned businesses organise their matters.

Yes and no - it's private business, but of competitions and events that the government already has a degree of control and regulation over.

The UK - and I assume many other countries - maintain a list of sporting events that must be free-to-air. I'd expect them to protect these events themselves, not just their means of broadcast.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

inactionman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:10 am

Yes and no - it's private business, but of competitions and events that the government already has a degree of control and regulation over.

The UK - and I assume many other countries - maintain a list of sporting events that must be free-to-air. I'd expect them to protect these events themselves, not just their means of broadcast.
I've always been fascinated by how this can possibly be legal. As a former "suit" in a sports body (albeit a small one that wasn't affected by TV rights) I'm absolutely against the idea that Government has the right to tell me to take less money for my organisation's efforts than I could get.

The "right" of universal access to these sporting events only began in about the 1930's (or even later in many cases) - it is not some inalienable historic privilege from the Magna Carta.

As far as I'm concerned the Government should just keep their noses away. It's up to each sporting (or cultural) organisation to decide how it wants to relate to the public.

(& yes I absolutely include the 6N in this - if the unions decide to go behind a pay wall then that should be their decision. They can judge for themselves what is in the best interests of the game.)
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

lilyw wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:07 am

As I said above I can't see any possible legal avenue for any Government to interfere. If they end up with a Global franchise model with ring-fenced leagues & no local feeders - who will become the Washington Generals to RM's or MU's Harlem Globetrotters?

I agree.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Maybe, but the control around stadiums, policing etc is controlled not what they call themselves and pay revenues to.
Petej

Post by Petej »

It's private businesses many of which have taken/borrowed government hand outs and cash in recent times. As we have seen frequently in recent times the very, very rich are frequently very keen on government handouts for themselves just not for normal people.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Petej wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:24 am

It's private businesses many of which have taken/borrowed government hand outs and cash in recent times. As we have seen frequently in recent times the very, very rich are frequently very keen on government handouts for themselves just not for normal people.

That’s a silly point. Those “handouts” come with commercial agreements. The shares of these companies in some cases are owned by your and my pension fund etc.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

lilyw wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:42 am
So a piece of legislation that designates 1 local private business (the FA) & 2 foreign ones (UEFA & FIFA) as somehow special and specifies that other private businesses (the clubs) have to do do business only with them & have no rights to conduct business in any other way.

Good luck with that - even without the ECJ I struggle to see that standing up in court when the corporate lawyers get their hands on it.

In any case is that the business environment that the Tories want to project - we reserve the right to arbitrarily change the rules for any market simply to protect our image.
In fact to take this a step further:

FIFA's rules explicitly disallow Government interference in the running of the game or any of it's organisations. Under their own rules they would have to suspend the FA if the UK Government introduced legislation to somehow force the clubs to only play in FA sanctioned events.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Actually yes. It's why bankers have restrictions on what sort of financial transactions between private parties can be carried out or how and what they invest in. Brands of unique or cultural distinction are protect by laws drafted by government. Champaign (only made in France/certain areas) and Melton Molbery pies are protected under these types of laws. Businesses of a long standing cultural or community position or impact on the country or people have long had laws protecting them because it benefits society.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

lilyw wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:21 am

I've always been fascinated by how this can possibly be legal. As a former "suit" in a sports body (albeit a small one that wasn't affected by TV rights) I'm absolutely against the idea that Government has the right to tell me to take less money for my organisation's efforts than I could get.

The "right" of universal access to these sporting events only began in about the 1930's (or even later in many cases) - it is not some inalienable historic privilege from the Magna Carta.

As far as I'm concerned the Government should just keep their noses away. It's up to each sporting (or cultural) organisation to decide how it wants to relate to the public.

(& yes I absolutely include the 6N in this - if the unions decide to go behind a pay wall then that should be their decision. They can judge for themselves what is in the best interests of the game.)
Not sure I agree - without wishing to be too whimsical, these events are only of the significance they are due to the fans' involvement. That someone takes control of the event and seeks to exploit that fan engagement for profit - as that's what it is in this case in particular, this Super League is pure cashcow - would seem a little bit unreasonable. It's just exploiting an allegiance that had previously existed, and exploiting a completely closed shop (fans can't realistically go and create 'The FA Cup Mk2').
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:23 am

Maybe, but the control around stadiums, policing etc is controlled not what they call themselves and pay revenues to.
Apols, can't work out what point you're making?
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

There was a football economist talking on Sky News about this. He said it doesn;t make sense, the games are going to be placed midweek evenings, this is about 3am in Asian and about 2pm in North America. Everyone in Asia/North America will either be asleep or at work! He doesn;'t see how it makes financial sense.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

mdaclarke wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:41 am

There was a football economist talking on Sky News about this. He said it doesn;t make sense, the games are going to be placed midweek evenings, this is about 3am in Asian and about 2pm in North America. Everyone in Asia/North America will either be asleep or at work! He doesn;'t see how it makes financial sense.
Well, to be honest, why can't those mid week games be played at UK lunchtime? Played in mostly empty stadiums sure but we've already confirmed that legacy fans aren't important.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:28 am

Actually yes. It's why bankers have restrictions on what sort of financial transactions between private parties can be carried out or how and what they invest in. Brands of unique or cultural distinction are protect by laws drafted by government. Champaign (only made in France/certain areas) and Melton Molbery pies are protected under these types of laws. Businesses of a long standing cultural or community position or impact on the country or people have long had laws protecting them because it benefits society.
No court is going to take any action against FIFA if they cick out these clubs. Anybody who thinks courts aren't swayed by public opinion is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Also we aren't in the EU any more (one of the reasons why I said the UK government can stop our clubs taking part)
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:43 am
mdaclarke wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:41 am

Well, to be honest, why can't those mid week games be played at UK lunchtime? Played in mostly empty stadiums sure but we've already confirmed that legacy fans aren't important.
Will solve the problem re Asia but not the USA. 1pm in the UK is about 5am to 8am in the USA (I think)
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Why are people getting so worked up over this. English football sold its soul decades ago.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

AND-y wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:47 am Why are people getting so worked up over this. English football sold its soul decades ago.
This is perhaps the wake-up call to that for those who didn't realsie it.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

I think it was rather obvious that one day modern football would start to eat itself.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:55 am
AND-y wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:47 am Why are people getting so worked up over this. English football sold its soul decades ago.
This is perhaps the wake-up call to that for those who didn't realsie it.
I think many did, and were as powerless then as now.

Not specifically the start of the PL, but take the reaction of many Man U fans to the Glazers somehow buying the club with the club itself. No real impact on the club or the Glazers, just on the fans - which is why this requires regulation. It's a club, a collective, not a rich American family's retirement fund, and should be recognised as such.

Doesn't stop turkeys voting for Christmas - Notts Co fans who owned the club agreeing to the buyout that madly brought Sven and Sol into the club - but should stop clubs being rich mens' playthings.