All things Rugby
Anonymous 1

Re: The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

mdaclarke wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm Amazon have come out against it

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... l-20427495

So have BT Sport

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broadcas ... 45.article

I can't imagine Sky are too keen either.

So if none of the broadcasters are interested, the fans aren't interested, where do they think the money is going to come from?
I believe DAZN are the broadcaster of choice and the fanbase is global.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

AND-y wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:07 pm I think they should invite Aberdeen and Partick Thistle
Then you must include Dundee, Dundee United and Crocodile Dundee.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:33 pm

So have BT Sport

So if none of the broadcasters are interested, the fans aren't interested, where do they think the money is going to come from?
But if nobody is bidding against them it will reduce the value I've never heard of DAZN.

Also I don't see the market given the match times and the time zones of the USA and Asia compared to Europe
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

So have BT Sport

Indeed. An article in the telegraph on it yesterday pointed out that not only are broadcasters not likely to be interested, the peak price of Tv rights has past and the next set of offers would all be lower. That suggests the last thing TV broadcasters want is both a new competition which is even more expensive for rights on top of all the others, especially at a time when they want rights to be cheaper. On top of that is fan outrage, it seems most of football clearly hate this idea.

There was also a good article in the Athletic publication months ago pointing out that the reason The Premiership is so popular globally and thus earns so much money on rights, because it's got the most parity, e.g. the most competition. Surely this Super League is doomed to never quite bring the riches the clubs involved desire while damaging income for all of European football.
Quins89

Post by Quins89 »

mdaclarke wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:38 pm

So have BT Sport

But if nobody is bidding against them it will reduce the value I've never heard of DAZN.

Also I don't see the market given the match times and the time zones of the USA and Asia compared to Europe
DAZN is huge. Like huge.

Netflix of sports basically but they didnt wanna come to the UK due to the hegemony of BT and Sky.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

paddyor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:32 pm
Floppykid wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:07 pm Really rooting for the super league.
Really hope it happens.
Me too. Apparently they're going to try and intro a wage cap (IIRC limited to a % of turnover). Operating over multiple tax and legal jurisdictions so will most likely be a gentlemans agreement. The gentlemen in this case being match fixers, perennial recepients of state aid and the highest profile breakers of FPP. This could be hilarious. All of these clubs are just going to accept being also rans from about 3-4 months into the season(the decision to include SPurs and Athletico makes a lot sense) and only spend the correct amount for the coming season. It's a total mystery how Barca ended up with a 1bn in debt.
Erling Haaland was supposedly looking for £30m a year up to yesterday. I wonder if that is now £1m a week
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Quins89 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:45 pm

So have BT Sport

DAZN is huge. Like huge.

Netflix of sports basically but they didnt wanna come to the UK due to the hegemony of BT and Sky.
Good for them, but if nobody in Europe wants to buy their product, and the time zones suck for Asia and North America (can choose one but not both).

There will be matches in empty stadiums with nobody watching in Europe and being played at unsociable hours in one of Asia or North America.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Seems to me people think this is back of a fag packet calculations done in the back of a taxi
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:57 pm Seems to me people think this is back of a fag packet calculations done in the back of a taxi
You're right, these are ruthless pros who've figured this out.
Really hope they pull it off and fudge European football up forever.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

paddyor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:32 pm
Floppykid wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:07 pm Really rooting for the super league.
Really hope it happens.
Me too. Apparently they're going to try and intro a wage cap (IIRC limited to a % of turnover). Operating over multiple tax and legal jurisdictions so will most likely be a gentlemans agreement. The gentlemen in this case being match fixers, perennial recepients of state aid and the highest profile breakers of FPP. This could be hilarious. All of these clubs are just going to accept being also rans from about 3-4 months into the season(the decision to include SPurs and Athletico makes a lot sense) and only spend the correct amount for the coming season. It's a total mystery how Barca ended up with a 1bn in debt.
So good.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

So have BT Sport

There are simply massive amounts of money behind DAZN. They have already lost a ton and don't care. Part of streaming thought is there's no such thing as borders anymore. So if you're the first guy in, spend lots, and make it work, you have a chance to become what ESPN became in the U.S.
Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:13 pm

So have BT Sport

There are simply massive amounts of money behind DAZN. They have already lost a ton and don't care.
Well, if they want to lose a ton more then they are going the right way about it.

If I was a betting man (I'm not) I would bet that this will not happen. If it does then I will not watch it, others are free to make their own decisions.
Quins89

Post by Quins89 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:57 pm Seems to me people think this is back of a fag packet calculations done in the back of a taxi
Oh I don't doubt anon but who's side are you on with this?

Far as I'm concerned, relegate them to Vanarama. Disgusting move. Don't forget what they've done.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

So have BT Sport

There are simply massive amounts of money behind DAZN. They have already lost a ton and don't care. Part of streaming thought is there's no such thing as borders anymore. So if you're the first guy in, spend lots, and make it work, you have a chance to become what ESPN became in the U.S.

I’m not sure their short term growth in Europe will be achieved with this toxic project.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

mdaclarke wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 pm

So have BT Sport

There are simply massive amounts of money behind DAZN. They have already lost a ton and don't care.
Well, if they want to lose a ton more then they are going the right way about it.

If I was a betting man (I'm not) I would bet that this will not happen. If it does then I will not watch it, others are free to make their own decisions.
Peacock (NBC's streaming package - a serious media company) lost almost a billion dollars last year. They're happy as can be. That's the level of losses these kinds of companies are willing to accept to get in on the ground floor.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:18 pm

So have BT Sport

I’m not sure their short term growth in Europe will be achieved with this toxic project.
Worked for Sky in the '90s.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 pm

Yeah maybe, I do see the similarities with the Premier league....

Thing is they also offered movies and a blend of the teams people care about.

The rest of football fans here outside of the 6 teams won’t give a shit and will not pay per game, everyone has always discounted the mass of football fans do not support the big teams. Also

Chelsea, Spurs and Man City aren’t a big deal at all nationally, like literally no one gives a shit.
Quins89

Post by Quins89 »

Chelsea WITHDRAW.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Floppykid wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:02 pm
These quotes aged well. :o :o :o
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:25 pm
Floppykid wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:02 pm
These quotes aged well. :o :o :o
clubs losing their bottle says nothing about the finances
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

It's dead jim. Shame, could finally have sunk the top tier of football.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 pm

Yeah maybe, I do see the similarities with the Premier league....

Thing is they also offered movies and a blend of the teams people care about.

The rest of football fans here outside of the 6 teams won’t give a shit and will not pay per game, everyone has always discounted the mass of football fans do not support the big teams. Also

Chelsea, Spurs and Man City aren’t a big deal at all nationally, like literally no one gives a shit.
When I were a nipper Chelsea and Man City were complete no-marks and Spurs were famous for wining the FA cup once a decade. In the true scheme of things they are just not super clubs.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Cit-eh also withdrawing
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

So have BT Sport

They are obviously business geniuses given what has happened this week.

Once Chelsea and Man City pull out then this project is dead as a dodo. No other clubs will join and nobody is going to want to watch the other 10 clubs playing each other in meaningless friendlies ad nauseunm.

Watching Sky Sports News over the last few days it has always been clear than Chelsea and Man City were the weak links in the project. Apparently for them is wasn't about the money they didn;t want to be left behind on a sporting basis.

Also from what Sky News are implying the owners of Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal (not sure about Tottenham) are now persona non grata and are no longer welcome in the premiership.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Well Chelsea have pussyed out already. So have City.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:50 pm
Well Chelsea have pussyed out already. So have City.
And City.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Woodward has resigned.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:54 pm Woodward has resigned.
:lol: United fans will be ecstatic
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Frodder wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am Expect a press release by Weds denying this plan ever existed
My prediction is nearly there
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Barcelona and Athletico gone as well.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Either this has been a top class exercise in brinkmanship or an utter clusterfu.ck
Petej

Post by Petej »

mdaclarke wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 pm

So have BT Sport

They are obviously business geniuses given what has happened this week.

Once Chelsea and Man City pull out then this project is dead as a dodo. No other clubs will join and nobody is going to want to watch the other 10 clubs playing each other in meaningless friendlies ad nauseunm.

Watching Sky Sports News over the last few days it has always been clear than Chelsea and Man City were the weak links in the project. Apparently for them is wasn't about the money they didn;t want to be left behind on a sporting basis.

Also from what Sky News are implying the owners of Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal (not sure about Tottenham) are now persona non grata and are no longer welcome in the premiership.
Getting rid of the glazers and silent shit krankee would be a plus. Not getting psg, dortmund and munich to agree was really important.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Winnie wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:10 pm Either this has been a top class exercise in brinkmanship or an utter clusterfu.ck
Pat Nevin was saying on 5 live that when you meet these really rich owners, a lot of them aren;t that impressive and a lot of them don't know a lot about football.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Apparently the Man U players were very unimpressed and there was some sort of "meeting" between Maguire and Woodward

All this has done is completely destroyed any bargaining position the ESL 12 have with regard to their own domestic leagues and UEFA/FIFA.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

'Damn, it's like it never happened then.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

I see the chelsea-brighton game has been delayed.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

It is interesting that in the British Media there is definitely a difference between
1. Chelsea/Man City
2. The Other 4
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

mdaclarke wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:13 pm
Apparently the Man U players were very unimpressed and there was some sort of "meeting" between Maguire and Woodward

All this has done is completely destroyed any bargaining position the ESL 12 have with regard to their own domestic leagues and UEFA/FIFA.
Not really, it's a failed power play but only partially as the money on offer from DAZN etc.will have made it clear to UEFA that while they won't allow the ESL idea (as they shouldn't it's an absolute pile of shite) they will have to take their thoughts on board for the restructure of the UCL.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Woodward gone.

That's the best news for this United fan for a very long time
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

earl the beaver wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:13 pm

Not really, it's a failed power play but only partially as the money on offer from DAZN etc.will have made it clear to UEFA that while they won't allow the ESL idea (as they shouldn't it's an absolute pile of shite) they will have to take their thoughts on board for the restructure of the UCL.
Well what are they going to do? They can't walk away. Ultimately from now on UEFA/FIFA say "Jump" the ESL 12 say "how high". The ESL 12 have made out they were holding a pair of Aces when really all they are holding is a 3 and an 8.