The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thread

All things Rugby
New Guy 2

Re: The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thread

Post by New Guy 2 »

LandOTurk wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 pm Was watching a little of the Spurs-Chelsea game as I ate a late b'fast. The amount of diving and cheating. The worst was when a black player for Chelsea put his arm across the chest of the the white Spurs player, who then threw himself to the floor holding his face. The Chelsea guy got a yellow. Who was the cheating Spurs player?
That sort of thing should be a straight red. I can't abide it. Unfortunately it usually results in the guy who isn't rolling around like a plum getting red. See Martial v Spurs.

They should actually do something useful with VAR and use it to clamp down on the Neymars of the world.
New Guy 2

Post by New Guy 2 »

https://mobile.twitter.com/MadRoyKeane/ ... _&ref_url=

:lol:

Will Arteta be gone by Christmas do we think?
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

New Guy 2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:19 am https://mobile.twitter.com/MadRoyKeane/ ... _&ref_url=

But, but, he's better than Pochettino because he's won trophies...

Seems as though that fatuous argument is being put to bed by Arsenal fans themselves given they are now calling for Poch just as ManUre fans have begged for him to replace their own managerial trophy winner in Solskjær.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

New Guy 2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:19 am https://mobile.twitter.com/MadRoyKeane/ ... _&ref_url=

I remember when the Arsenal fans were screaming for the head of Wenger because all he could do was get them in the champions league year after year after year. I was saying look at the shit show that is ManUre after Fergie and be careful what you wish for.
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:17 am

I remember when the Arsenal fans were screaming for the head of Wenger because all he could do was get them in the champions league year after year after year. I was saying look at the shit show that is ManUre after Fergie and be careful what you wish for.
And in both cases it was actually down to the cattle. Fergie was performing miracles in his last 2-3 seasons with the dross that his final ManUre squads had become. Towards the end, Wenger (and/or whoever at Arsenal) was signing wimpy mercenaries with no leadership qualities or noticeable commitment whatsoever. Players like Xhaka and Bellerín have never been good enough but they've been mainstays for seasons now...it's very wrong given the stature of the club. ManUre have finally begun a reversal of their own personnel personality deficit with players like Fernandes and Cavani, proper winners. Arsenal did well to sign Aubameyang up again but he's not a leader and goes missing if the vibe is dying off, which it is at the moment...
C69

Post by C69 »

Cavani to get 3 game ban for social media issue related to a racial term
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Wenger went after he stopped getting Arsenal into the Champions league in his last few years TBF.

The current problems were in place during Wenger's late years. Inconsistency. Poor identification of talent (Xhaka, Mustafi etc), poor contracts which don't incentivize players and a refusal to recognize when they are past their best (Ozil) and a non-existent midfield who can't compete physically or operate at pace and a defense which can't be depended upon. All compounded by a board who don't want to spend big in an era there's a top 6 or 8 sides have been spending big.

Looking at Emery, the fact he has been successful so far after leaving Arsenal shows the problems aren't down to current coaching. There is a wider problem at Arsenal and it needs a bit of a clear-out.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:03 am

Wenger went after he stopped getting Arsenal into the Champions league in his last few years TBF.

The current problems were in place during Wenger's late years. Inconsistency. Poor identification of talent (Xhaka, Mustafi etc), poor contracts which don't incentivize players and a refusal to recognize when they are past their best (Ozil) and a non-existent midfield who can't compete physically or operate at pace and a defense which can't be depended upon. All compounded by a board who don't want to spend big in an era there's a top 6 or 8 sides have been spending big.

Looking at Emery, the fact he has been successful so far after leaving Arsenal shows the problems aren't down to current coaching. There is a wider problem at Arsenal and it needs a bit of a clear-out.
Last few years. You mean the previous season and the season he got the boot. That was after how many consecutive years of champions league ? 150 or something :lol:

It was toxic with half the supporters calling for his head for at least 4 years.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:34 am
eldanielfire wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:03 am

Last few years. You mean the previous season and the season he got the boot. That was after how many consecutive years of champions league ? 150 or something :lol:

It was toxic with half the supporters calling for his head for at least 4 years.
Yes, that's what it means. No one is doubting his prior record. But Arsenal were heading downwards under Wenger already, poor buys, poor decisions etc and he wasn't doing anything successfully to turn it around.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

C69 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:48 am Cavani to get 3 game ban for social media issue related to a racial term
I don't think he should get banned for that. Someone should just have a chat with him about what is acceptable in here.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Meanwhile, in the fiercest UK derby outside of Glasgow, Swindon Town came back from 0-1 to 2-1 in the last 5 minutes.

Like something a little less effete? Here's a clip of the mighty Reds showing the honest commitment needed to change the momentum in Real Football.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1332773327052607493
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:45 am
C69 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:48 am Cavani to get 3 game ban for social media issue related to a racial term
I don't think he should get banned for that. Someone should just have a chat with him about what is acceptable in here.
Needs a season long ban!!!!
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

DragonKhan wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:48 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:45 pm
New Guy 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:26 pm I keep thinking United are having a dire season but then I look at Arsenal and City and suddenly feel a bit better.
Haven't seen much of City. Saw the Tottenham game and they battered Tottenham. They had 66% possession and 22 shots to Tottenhams 4. That seems to be the norm with them away to Tottenham lately yet they always lose.
They didn't batter us at all. The only save of note Lloris made was in the 88th minute from a header. Lots of possession, many blocked or long range shots. Every time we broke they fouled us and when they failed to foul we scored two and had another disallowed. We defended perfectly and attacked with numbers smartly
West Ham 2 Aston Villa 1

West Ham got absolutely battered tonight. 8)

UP THE HAMMERS
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:31 pm
New Guy 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:26 pm I keep thinking United are having a dire season but then I look at Arsenal and City and suddenly feel a bit better.
Haven't seen much of City. Saw the Tottenham game and they battered Tottenham. They had 66% possession and 22 shots to Tottenhams 4. That seems to be the norm with them away to Tottenham lately yet they always lose.
They didn't batter us at all. The only save of note Lloris made was in the 88th minute from a header. Lots of possession, many blocked or long range shots. Every time we broke they fouled us and when they failed to foul we scored two and had another disallowed. We defended perfectly and attacked with numbers smartly
West Ham 2 Aston Villa 1

UP THE HAMMERS
Total farce.

Stockley park f**ked that up at the end. VAR is a waste of time in it's current form. The refs are briefed so badly.

They need to ref like a rugby game would seriously.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Not a clear and obvious error for the wrestling of Watkins getting into the box.

Referees can fudge off. They protect themselves and nothing else.
C69

Post by C69 »

Wendigo7 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:34 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:31 pm
West Ham 2 Aston Villa 1

UP THE HAMMERS
Total farce.

Stockley park f**ked that up at the end. VAR is a waste of time in it's current form. The refs are briefed so badly.

They need to ref like a rugby game would seriously.
Not if it goes like Poite and the tmo farces at the weekend tbh
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

The refs made a bloody decision at the weekend though C69 and it's on them. I like the fact he made a personal call and went with it. Fine it was clear and wrong but at least he stood up for himself, not like these schmucks who hide all the time.

These refs aren't accountable, are shielded, double down and still think they are right. There's a distinct difference.
C69

Post by C69 »

Wendigo7 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:53 pm The refs made a bloody decision at the weekend though C69 and it's on them. I like the fact he made a personal call and went with it. Fine it was clear and wrong but at least he stood up for himself, not like these schmucks who hide all the time.

These refs aren't accountable, are shielded, double down and still think they are right. There's a distinct difference.
Poite is not accountable either.
Worse than Hitler tbh
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Young Irish gk for Liverpool has been absolutely outstanding all game against Ajax.
Last edited by Wendigo7 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Liverpool through.

Kelleher the 22 year old Irishman had a fantastic game in goal against a good, good ajax team.

Curtis Jones continues his great progress. Onana had a bloody weird game for a good gk.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Wendigo7 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:53 pm Liverpool through.

Kelleher the 22 year old Irishman had a fantastic game in goal against a good, good ajax team.

Curtis Jones continues his great progress. Onana had a bloody weird game for a good gk.
Weakest ajax side in a good few years. He had precious little to do.
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

Banter FC bantering again: https://www.facebook.com/dreamteamfc/ph ... 1952215700

Looks like they got wind of the ridicule so they've "expanded the vote from this month onwards": https://www.arsenal.com/news/november-g ... vote-now-1

Perhaps the attribution of "self-aware banter times" by Joe.co.uk re: Arsenal's derisory bid for Luis Suarez years ago, was actually giving the club far too much credit...
C69

Post by C69 »

Giroud showing what a class player he is tonight :smug:
C69

Post by C69 »

That's the hat trick :thumbup:

Merci
C69

Post by C69 »

Now 4 for Giroud :smug:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

That defeat is 100% on shite management from Ole.

He had to sub Fred at half time with that yellow card.

Once again Martial missing an easy chance
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

So do any of Real, PSG or ManUre (or maybe even Inter) actually want to win next week, and if they do, should they? Any loser among them will be dialling the Poch for an instant upward. The rest will be history. Time for a loss-leader, I think...
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

Banter king Troopz is back on the scene: Return Of The King
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

United out, I can’t tell you how disappointing that is for me.
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

Sefton wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:56 pm United out, I can’t tell you how disappointing that is for me.
Mourinho wants Man Utd in the semi and Poch-led Real in the final (of the EL). Here, first.

Would have said Arsenal in the quarters but is that really going to happen?
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Sefton wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:56 pm United out, I can’t tell you how disappointing that is for me.
I'm also devastated.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

The fudge up was that loss away to Istanbul
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Woke up this morning to read "PSG-Istanbul game postponed due to racism" and immediately thought "What did those Turks say now?" :blush:

Did anybody predict it would be racist refs? :shock:
panamax

Post by panamax »

doubt the ref was actualy racist, just a clumsy romanian guy
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

panamax wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:56 pm doubt the ref was actualy racist, just a clumsy romanian guy
Apparently he said something along the lines of "these black guys" referencing players nearby and a bunch of the PSG players, rightly, questioned him if the use of 'black' was really necessary.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Bloody hell - Patrick Kluivert's son is now playing?
I'm feeling old. Kluivert is younger than me and I'm not that old.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

tiddle wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:30 pm
panamax wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:56 pm doubt the ref was actualy racist, just a clumsy romanian guy
Apparently he said something along the lines of "these black guys" referencing players nearby and a bunch of the PSG players, rightly, questioned him if the use of 'black' was really necessary.
Yeah more clumsy.
panamax

Post by panamax »

read a bit different, apparently one guy from the coaching staff of Istanbul, Wembo, was quite vehement on the sideline, he was also the only african from the coaching staff. 4th ref calls main ref to ask him to card one of the coaching staff and when asked which one he replies the black one in romanian, "negru". looks like a big misunderstanding overall and was definitely questionable but racist? i don't know,
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Agreed but it’s a massive double standard by definition.
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

LandOTurk wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:24 pm
Yeah more clumsy.
My read on it too. I wouldn't say racist because that can imply an element of white supremacy. I think it's more insensitive and you'd expect better from an official really.