Chat Forum
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 8:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:24 pm 

Bindi wrote:
On the second book in Derek Künske’s Quantum Evolution series. Not too bad.

Heist story with bits of Peter F Hamilton and Iain M Banks.

Which bits?

The overly-inflated set of characters or the sex obsessed teenage girls?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:57 pm 

Tehui wrote:
I've watched quite a few Sci-Fi movies and TV series in my life, but I can't recall ever reading a Sci-Fi novel. I didn't realise this until I saw this thread.

Remember, the new nomenclature is Speculative Fiction

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:02 pm 

Anybody read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds?
I read a couple of short stories of his set in the same universe which were enjoyable enough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:13 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
I read a couple of short stories of his set in the same universe which were enjoyable enough.

Yep, very good hard sci-fi, best of Reynolds for me. Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap are the 3 main books and Chasm City is in the same universe and time and sort of fits it. If you like the short stories you'll like the main books. I'm not a fan of his more recent work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:21 pm 

Madness wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Yep, very good hard sci-fi, best of Reynolds for me. Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap are the 3 main books and Chasm City is in the same universe and time and sort of fits it. If you like the short stories you'll like the main books. I'm not a fan of his more recent work.

Sweet. :thumbup:
The whole Conjoiner thing is intriguing. I read the Great Wall of Mars and thought that there was a heap of creativity and thought for "just" a short story. Then realised that there's more and looked it up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:31 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

I read it last month. I have mixed feelings about it but it's definitely worth a read, there's a lot of good stuff in there. I found his prose a bit perfunctory and staid at times, and it dragged a bit with technobabble and overlong passages. The characters are all a bit grey and samey as well. But there are some nice ideas in there, and some proper headfuck hard sci-fi concepts. Some good writing too when he gets going, in some of the major set pieces in particular.

I think I've been spoiled by reading so much Banks recently, to the point that I now expect all my space operas to have sparkling prose, wonderfully dark humour, perfect pacing, great character depth, etc. etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:09 am 

:thumbup:
I'll enjoy a bit of perfunctory language for the moment as a antidote to Dan Simmons' taking about poetry for pages at a time.

Have you read any of the rest of the Revelation Space series? They're far from chronological. Had a quick look on Reddit, but there isn't really any consensus on an ideal reading order. Guess I'll just go with publication order.

Banks is too good. I must be due a re-read of something soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:12 am 

Nolanator wrote:
:thumbup:
I'll enjoy a bit of perfunctory language for the moment as a antidote to Dan Simmons' taking about poetry for pages at a time.

Have you read any of the rest of the Revelation Space series? They're far from chronological. Had a quick look on Reddit, but there isn't really any consensus on an ideal reading order. Guess I'll just go with publication order.

Banks is too good. I must be due a re-read of something soon.

I've read all of Reynolds's work.

Some are sequential but most are not

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:21 am 

Publication order it is!

Just spotted this in Reddit before logging out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comment ... urce=share
Guy painting a Halo world from the game series. Ignore Master Chief in the corner and it looks good I imagine a Culture orbital.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:56 am 

PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I read it last month. I have mixed feelings about it but it's definitely worth a read, there's a lot of good stuff in there. I found his prose a bit perfunctory and staid at times, and it dragged a bit with technobabble and overlong passages. The characters are all a bit grey and samey as well. But there are some nice ideas in there, and some proper headfuck hard sci-fi concepts. Some good writing too when he gets going, in some of the major set pieces in particular.

I think I've been spoiled by reading so much Banks recently, to the point that I now expect all my space operas to have sparkling prose, wonderfully dark humour, perfect pacing, great character depth, etc. etc.

I agree, great conceptual sci-fi, let down by lack of characterisation and turgid prose.

I preferred some of his stand alone work, pushing ice and house of suns i enjoyed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:22 am 

This is going to sound crazy, but I actually read Battlefield Earth when I was kid, encouraged by my dad, before Scientology was a (known thing). I remember really enjoying it, I thought it was great. I think the "expert" consensus is that it's absolute crap but I found it very entertaining as a young teenager.

Apart from that, Dune. To be totally honest, I think they're the only Sci-Fi books I've ever read.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:18 pm 

ukjim wrote:
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I agree, great conceptual sci-fi, let down by lack of characterisation and turgid prose.

I preferred some of his stand alone work, pushing ice and house of suns i enjoyed.

I really liked Pushing Ice.

I also enjoyed his Revenger, which is his version of a Treasure Island-inspired adventure story.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
This is going to sound crazy, but I actually read Battlefield Earth when I was kid, encouraged by my dad, before Scientology was a (known thing). I remember really enjoying it, I thought it was great. I think the "expert" consensus is that it's absolute crap but I found it very entertaining as a young teenager.

Apart from that, Dune. To be totally honest, I think they're the only Sci-Fi books I've ever read.

Huh! As a young teenager I thought the Lensman saga was great. Beat that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 pm 

Neal Asher's stuff is pretty similar.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:13 pm 

Still working my way through 'Judas Unchained', well finally Ozzie's side trek has shown its relevance. One more bugbear though is the sheer number of time Hamilton mentions "enzyme bonded concrete", I mean every 10 pages or so like he's really proud of coming up with it and has to keep reminding us of it...it's even worse than GRRM's "...boiled leather...".

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:12 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
Still working my way through 'Judas Unchained', well finally Ozzie's side trek has shown its relevance. One more bugbear though is the sheer number of time Hamilton mentions "enzyme bonded concrete", I mean every 10 pages or so like he's really proud of coming up with it and has to keep reminding us of it...it's even worse than GRRM's "...boiled leather...".

Remind me the point again? I read this a while back and I've totally forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:23 pm 

danthefan wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

If memory serves...
Spoiler: show
He finds the civilisation that trapped the Primes within their star system in the first place.
Although when he asks them for help they tell him to get f*cked since they don't care about the Universe anymore

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:31 pm 

Dan Simmons is a massive fan of describing the sky as lapus lazul. Can't say deep blue or anything similar. Not exactly a common turn off phrase, so it's noticeable how much he uses it.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:39 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Madness wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Sweet. :thumbup:
The whole Conjoiner thing is intriguing. I read the Great Wall of Mars and thought that there was a heap of creativity and thought for "just" a short story. Then realised that there's more and looked it up.

How are you finding the revelation space books? I loved the fact that it is all done without superluminal travel - it makes it feel a bit more like a possibly real future. I won't mention any particular points as I don't want to spoil anything, but he has some great ideas.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:03 pm 

I'm well through the first novel, not reading particularly fast these days. Definitely enjoying it. I do like the different aspects of humanity and how different they are, their experiences etc.

Some little bits are cool, like one of the Ultras musing about planets and not really trusting people who grew up on them, as she's spent her entire life on ships or orbital stations. Reminds me of the cultural and physical differences between Belters and those from down a well in the Expanse universe.

Feels grounded in something resembling reality, like you say. Lightclippers being like skyscrapers under constant thrust to simulate gravity etc. I dig that stuff. Agreed on the sub-c travel. Makes for some interesting differences in perspective as to how far apart events are, depending if you were stationary or travelling.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:37 am 

Nolanator wrote:
I'm well through the first novel, not reading particularly fast these days.

I am struggling - usually a voracious reader but maybe working from home is overloading my reading

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:13 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
I'm well through the first novel, not reading particularly fast these days.

I am struggling - usually a voracious reader but maybe working from home is overloading my reading

Yeah my reading has dropped off since WFH, I've kind of replaced it with watching history videos on Youtube ... need to break that as an everyday habit even though lots of them are interesting.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:08 am 

Nolanator wrote:
I'm well through the first novel, not reading particularly fast these days. Definitely enjoying it. I do like the different aspects of humanity and how different they are, their experiences etc.

Some little bits are cool, like one of the Ultras musing about planets and not really trusting people who grew up on them, as she's spent her entire life on ships or orbital stations. Reminds me of the cultural and physical differences between Belters and those from down a well in the Expanse universe.

Feels grounded in something resembling reality, like you say. Lightclippers being like skyscrapers under constant thrust to simulate gravity etc. I dig that stuff. Agreed on the sub-c travel. Makes for some interesting differences in perspective as to how far apart events are, depending if you were stationary or travelling.

Late to the party, but have fun. Absolutely love the series, although the 'big trilogy' isn't the easiest thing to read. But I guess with some previous exposure from some short novels, you'll likely have an easier time. The Prefect, Chasm City and Diamond Dogs (this one's shortish) are pretty good in the same universe. A lot of his novels tie up into each other with different timelines, perspectives, it's an incredibly fleshed out vision.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:43 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

If memory serves...
He finds the civilisation that trapped the Primes within their star system in the first place.
Although when he asks them for help they tell him to get f*cked since they don't care about the Universe anymore

That's not quite it, he finds
eventually a Silfen who talks fairly normally and tells him a civilization called the Anomine put the barrier in place but most of them evolved into something other than physical while others went entirely tech free and they have no more interest in the physical universe. Ozzie after some research thinks he knows a way to turn the barrier back on.

From what I gather we don't see the Anomine until the Void series.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:24 am 

Right then, finished The Commonwealth Saga. Overall a good long read even with some irritations along the way with the pacing, story and characters.

Not ready to dive into the Void Trilogy though...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17