Chat Forum
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 8:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20274
Bindi wrote:
On the second book in Derek Künske’s Quantum Evolution series. Not too bad.

Heist story with bits of Peter F Hamilton and Iain M Banks.

Which bits?

The overly-inflated set of characters or the sex obsessed teenage girls?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 5122
Tehui wrote:
I've watched quite a few Sci-Fi movies and TV series in my life, but I can't recall ever reading a Sci-Fi novel. I didn't realise this until I saw this thread.


Remember, the new nomenclature is Speculative Fiction


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 36645
Location: Pigdogistan
Anybody read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds?
I read a couple of short stories of his set in the same universe which were enjoyable enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1272
Location: Somewhere in poachland
Nolanator wrote:
Anybody read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds?
I read a couple of short stories of his set in the same universe which were enjoyable enough.



Yep, very good hard sci-fi, best of Reynolds for me. Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap are the 3 main books and Chasm City is in the same universe and time and sort of fits it. If you like the short stories you'll like the main books. I'm not a fan of his more recent work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 36645
Location: Pigdogistan
Madness wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Anybody read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds?
I read a couple of short stories of his set in the same universe which were enjoyable enough.



Yep, very good hard sci-fi, best of Reynolds for me. Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap are the 3 main books and Chasm City is in the same universe and time and sort of fits it. If you like the short stories you'll like the main books. I'm not a fan of his more recent work.

Sweet. :thumbup:
The whole Conjoiner thing is intriguing. I read the Great Wall of Mars and thought that there was a heap of creativity and thought for "just" a short story. Then realised that there's more and looked it up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:32 pm
Posts: 1359
Nolanator wrote:
Anybody read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds?
I read a couple of short stories of his set in the same universe which were enjoyable enough.


I read it last month. I have mixed feelings about it but it's definitely worth a read, there's a lot of good stuff in there. I found his prose a bit perfunctory and staid at times, and it dragged a bit with technobabble and overlong passages. The characters are all a bit grey and samey as well. But there are some nice ideas in there, and some proper headfuck hard sci-fi concepts. Some good writing too when he gets going, in some of the major set pieces in particular.

I think I've been spoiled by reading so much Banks recently, to the point that I now expect all my space operas to have sparkling prose, wonderfully dark humour, perfect pacing, great character depth, etc. etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 36645
Location: Pigdogistan
:thumbup:
I'll enjoy a bit of perfunctory language for the moment as a antidote to Dan Simmons' taking about poetry for pages at a time.

Have you read any of the rest of the Revelation Space series? They're far from chronological. Had a quick look on Reddit, but there isn't really any consensus on an ideal reading order. Guess I'll just go with publication order.


Banks is too good. I must be due a re-read of something soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 5122
Nolanator wrote:
:thumbup:
I'll enjoy a bit of perfunctory language for the moment as a antidote to Dan Simmons' taking about poetry for pages at a time.

Have you read any of the rest of the Revelation Space series? They're far from chronological. Had a quick look on Reddit, but there isn't really any consensus on an ideal reading order. Guess I'll just go with publication order.


Banks is too good. I must be due a re-read of something soon.



I've read all of Reynolds's work.

Some are sequential but most are not


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 36645
Location: Pigdogistan
Publication order it is!

Just spotted this in Reddit before logging out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comment ... urce=share
Guy painting a Halo world from the game series. Ignore Master Chief in the corner and it looks good I imagine a Culture orbital.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1822
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Anybody read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds?
I read a couple of short stories of his set in the same universe which were enjoyable enough.


I read it last month. I have mixed feelings about it but it's definitely worth a read, there's a lot of good stuff in there. I found his prose a bit perfunctory and staid at times, and it dragged a bit with technobabble and overlong passages. The characters are all a bit grey and samey as well. But there are some nice ideas in there, and some proper headfuck hard sci-fi concepts. Some good writing too when he gets going, in some of the major set pieces in particular.

I think I've been spoiled by reading so much Banks recently, to the point that I now expect all my space operas to have sparkling prose, wonderfully dark humour, perfect pacing, great character depth, etc. etc.


I agree, great conceptual sci-fi, let down by lack of characterisation and turgid prose.

I preferred some of his stand alone work, pushing ice and house of suns i enjoyed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 10930
Location: Stockholm
This is going to sound crazy, but I actually read Battlefield Earth when I was kid, encouraged by my dad, before Scientology was a (known thing). I remember really enjoying it, I thought it was great. I think the "expert" consensus is that it's absolute crap but I found it very entertaining as a young teenager.

Apart from that, Dune. To be totally honest, I think they're the only Sci-Fi books I've ever read.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:11 pm
Posts: 111
ukjim wrote:
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Anybody read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds?
I read a couple of short stories of his set in the same universe which were enjoyable enough.


I read it last month. I have mixed feelings about it but it's definitely worth a read, there's a lot of good stuff in there. I found his prose a bit perfunctory and staid at times, and it dragged a bit with technobabble and overlong passages. The characters are all a bit grey and samey as well. But there are some nice ideas in there, and some proper headfuck hard sci-fi concepts. Some good writing too when he gets going, in some of the major set pieces in particular.

I think I've been spoiled by reading so much Banks recently, to the point that I now expect all my space operas to have sparkling prose, wonderfully dark humour, perfect pacing, great character depth, etc. etc.


I agree, great conceptual sci-fi, let down by lack of characterisation and turgid prose.

I preferred some of his stand alone work, pushing ice and house of suns i enjoyed.


I really liked Pushing Ice.

I also enjoyed his Revenger, which is his version of a Treasure Island-inspired adventure story.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2698
Mog The Almighty wrote:
This is going to sound crazy, but I actually read Battlefield Earth when I was kid, encouraged by my dad, before Scientology was a (known thing). I remember really enjoying it, I thought it was great. I think the "expert" consensus is that it's absolute crap but I found it very entertaining as a young teenager.

Apart from that, Dune. To be totally honest, I think they're the only Sci-Fi books I've ever read.


Huh! As a young teenager I thought the Lensman saga was great. Beat that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37025
Neal Asher's stuff is pretty similar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10740
Location: 曇りの街
Still working my way through 'Judas Unchained', well finally Ozzie's side trek has shown its relevance. One more bugbear though is the sheer number of time Hamilton mentions "enzyme bonded concrete", I mean every 10 pages or so like he's really proud of coming up with it and has to keep reminding us of it...it's even worse than GRRM's "...boiled leather...".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:12 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21993
tabascoboy wrote:
Still working my way through 'Judas Unchained', well finally Ozzie's side trek has shown its relevance. One more bugbear though is the sheer number of time Hamilton mentions "enzyme bonded concrete", I mean every 10 pages or so like he's really proud of coming up with it and has to keep reminding us of it...it's even worse than GRRM's "...boiled leather...".


Remind me the point again? I read this a while back and I've totally forgotten.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20274
danthefan wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
Still working my way through 'Judas Unchained', well finally Ozzie's side trek has shown its relevance. One more bugbear though is the sheer number of time Hamilton mentions "enzyme bonded concrete", I mean every 10 pages or so like he's really proud of coming up with it and has to keep reminding us of it...it's even worse than GRRM's "...boiled leather...".


Remind me the point again? I read this a while back and I've totally forgotten.

If memory serves...
Spoiler: show
He finds the civilisation that trapped the Primes within their star system in the first place.
Although when he asks them for help they tell him to get f*cked since they don't care about the Universe anymore


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 36645
Location: Pigdogistan
Dan Simmons is a massive fan of describing the sky as lapus lazul. Can't say deep blue or anything similar. Not exactly a common turn off phrase, so it's noticeable how much he uses it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 11086
Nolanator wrote:
Madness wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Anybody read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds?
I read a couple of short stories of his set in the same universe which were enjoyable enough.



Yep, very good hard sci-fi, best of Reynolds for me. Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap are the 3 main books and Chasm City is in the same universe and time and sort of fits it. If you like the short stories you'll like the main books. I'm not a fan of his more recent work.

Sweet. :thumbup:
The whole Conjoiner thing is intriguing. I read the Great Wall of Mars and thought that there was a heap of creativity and thought for "just" a short story. Then realised that there's more and looked it up.


How are you finding the revelation space books? I loved the fact that it is all done without superluminal travel - it makes it feel a bit more like a possibly real future. I won't mention any particular points as I don't want to spoil anything, but he has some great ideas.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 36645
Location: Pigdogistan
I'm well through the first novel, not reading particularly fast these days. Definitely enjoying it. I do like the different aspects of humanity and how different they are, their experiences etc.

Some little bits are cool, like one of the Ultras musing about planets and not really trusting people who grew up on them, as she's spent her entire life on ships or orbital stations. Reminds me of the cultural and physical differences between Belters and those from down a well in the Expanse universe.

Feels grounded in something resembling reality, like you say. Lightclippers being like skyscrapers under constant thrust to simulate gravity etc. I dig that stuff. Agreed on the sub-c travel. Makes for some interesting differences in perspective as to how far apart events are, depending if you were stationary or travelling.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 5122
Nolanator wrote:
I'm well through the first novel, not reading particularly fast these days.

.


I am struggling - usually a voracious reader but maybe working from home is overloading my reading


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12109
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
I'm well through the first novel, not reading particularly fast these days.

.


I am struggling - usually a voracious reader but maybe working from home is overloading my reading

Yeah my reading has dropped off since WFH, I've kind of replaced it with watching history videos on Youtube ... need to break that as an everyday habit even though lots of them are interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4557
Location: Gaillimh
Nolanator wrote:
I'm well through the first novel, not reading particularly fast these days. Definitely enjoying it. I do like the different aspects of humanity and how different they are, their experiences etc.

Some little bits are cool, like one of the Ultras musing about planets and not really trusting people who grew up on them, as she's spent her entire life on ships or orbital stations. Reminds me of the cultural and physical differences between Belters and those from down a well in the Expanse universe.

Feels grounded in something resembling reality, like you say. Lightclippers being like skyscrapers under constant thrust to simulate gravity etc. I dig that stuff. Agreed on the sub-c travel. Makes for some interesting differences in perspective as to how far apart events are, depending if you were stationary or travelling.


Late to the party, but have fun. Absolutely love the series, although the 'big trilogy' isn't the easiest thing to read. But I guess with some previous exposure from some short novels, you'll likely have an easier time. The Prefect, Chasm City and Diamond Dogs (this one's shortish) are pretty good in the same universe. A lot of his novels tie up into each other with different timelines, perspectives, it's an incredibly fleshed out vision.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10740
Location: 曇りの街
Yer Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
Still working my way through 'Judas Unchained', well finally Ozzie's side trek has shown its relevance. One more bugbear though is the sheer number of time Hamilton mentions "enzyme bonded concrete", I mean every 10 pages or so like he's really proud of coming up with it and has to keep reminding us of it...it's even worse than GRRM's "...boiled leather...".


Remind me the point again? I read this a while back and I've totally forgotten.

If memory serves...
Spoiler: show
He finds the civilisation that trapped the Primes within their star system in the first place.
Although when he asks them for help they tell him to get f*cked since they don't care about the Universe anymore

That's not quite it, he finds
Spoiler: show
eventually a Silfen who talks fairly normally and tells him a civilization called the Anomine put the barrier in place but most of them evolved into something other than physical while others went entirely tech free and they have no more interest in the physical universe. Ozzie after some research thinks he knows a way to turn the barrier back on.

From what I gather we don't see the Anomine until the Void series.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10740
Location: 曇りの街
Right then, finished The Commonwealth Saga. Overall a good long read even with some irritations along the way with the pacing, story and characters.

Not ready to dive into the Void Trilogy though...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bogbunny, Caley_Red, danthefan, Google Adsense [Bot], inactionman, Lazer, piquant, Podge, SaintK, Sefton, The Sun God, TheToddster, Yourmother, Zico and 109 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group