Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 am 

Oxbow wrote:
I've always been a huge fan of Ringworld by Larry Niven, I must have read it and the sequel half a dozen times when I was a teenager and in my 20s. I recently decided to revisit the books during lockdown, and both still hold up well today. I then foolishly decided to move on to the (written much later) third book in the series, The Ringworld Throne. By christ it's fucking terrible, a poorly-written, dull, disjointed mess. I just couldn't finish it and stopped reading about a third of the way through. I haven't read anything else of his written post-80s, so I'll just go ahead and assume it's all shit.

I also found the third Ringworld book to be absolutely terrible. Can't tell you anything about his other later works, as I've avoided them for exactly the same reason as you! :lol: :?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:09 am 

ukjim wrote:
Bindi wrote:
NK Jemison
Claire North
Tom Sweterlitsch
Robert Jackson Bennett
Yoon Ha Lee

thanks for these names. any particular favourite titles?

I have been doing the afro futurist stuff recently and enjoyed Nigerians in Space by Deji Bryce Olukotun and the sequel after the flare

Best places to start are:

NK Jemisin - Broken Earth trilogy. Each book won the Hugo award in consecutive years, which has never been done I think. Loads of other awards. Absolutely at the top of her game. Will be one of the all time greats.

Claire North - The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. Definitely what I'd consider speculative fiction rather than fantasy or sci-fi. Not pulp - literary like Iain Banks. Brilliantly original.

Tom Sweterlitsch - Gone World. Crime solving time travel, but dark as fudge. Also very original.

Robert Jackson Bennett - The Divine Cities trilogy. Great characters, story, world building - pretty much everything.

Yoon Ha Lee - Machineries of Empire trilogy. Awesome space opera. The best since Iain M Banks.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:38 pm 

Bindi wrote:
ukjim wrote:
Bindi wrote:
NK Jemison
Claire North
Tom Sweterlitsch
Robert Jackson Bennett
Yoon Ha Lee

I have been doing the afro futurist stuff recently and enjoyed Nigerians in Space by Deji Bryce Olukotun and the sequel after the flare

golden! thanks fella.

NK Jemisin - Broken Earth trilogy. Each book won the Hugo award in consecutive years, which has never been done I think. Loads of other awards. Absolutely at the top of her game. Will be one of the all time greats.

Claire North - The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. Definitely what I'd consider speculative fiction rather than fantasy or sci-fi. Not pulp - literary like Iain Banks. Brilliantly original.

Tom Sweterlitsch - Gone World. Crime solving time travel, but dark as fudge. Also very original.

Robert Jackson Bennett - The Divine Cities trilogy. Great characters, story, world building - pretty much everything.

Yoon Ha Lee - Machineries of Empire trilogy. Awesome space opera. The best since Iain M Banks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:32 pm 

Taking a break from the Revelation Space books for a bit to read some of the Witcher books. I'll probably go back once I've finished the short stories.

Definitely enjoying it, and Redemption Ark was better for having read Chasm City and Great Wall of Mars, despite then not strictly being in the series.

Not totally sold on some of Reynolds' writing style at times. He loves his techno-babble, bit sometimes it's fun in the sense of he's essentially just musing about how you'd destroy a star or gas giant if simple engineering on an astronomical scale wasn't an obstacle.

Other times the pacing jumps all over the place. A lot of pages will be devoted to a relatively short event, and then even fewer pages will describe an interstellar chase sequence.
Sometimes, a massive event is just described as having happened in order to get the plot to move along.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:42 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Chasm City. Spent the whole day reading to finish it as I was enjoying it so much.
Brilliant. Enjoyed it more than Revelation Space, but I guess part of the enjoyment was based in the stuff I already knew from RS.
Still an excellent standalone novel.

Spoiler: show
Absolutely love the Use of Weapons feel to it, with added Total Recall. The protagonist's past being unpacked and revealing more to him and the reader as he works his way through his present mission.

The (two) big identity reveals were clear enough before they were explicitly stated, but it still worked I thought.

I enjoy that kind of sci-fi immensely. Exploring ideas of how early space colonisation might take place, the way technology developed differently on planets with different priorities, the fallen civilisation bit, hints and significantly more advanced aliens, etc.

10/10, would read again.

It's good alright. And same, I enjoyed it more than RS, but that's because RS is a massive info dump on that universe. All of a sudden, Sky's Edge is no longer just some random planet's name. That's what I love about the RS universe: all the novels fit magnificently into each other, fleshing out the various bits in a way that does seem planned in advance, not in the all-too common I-needed-money-so-I-wrote-a-prequel-but-don't-expect-it-to-make-sense way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:48 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
Bindi wrote:
On the second book in Derek Künske’s Quantum Evolution series. Not too bad.

Heist story with bits of Peter F Hamilton and Iain M Banks.

Which bits?

The overly-inflated set of characters or the sex obsessed teenage girls?

You're not joking. I'm reading Pandora's Star now having not read any of his stuff since I was much younger and the sexualising of literally every female character is incredibly annoying. It'd actually be a good book if he wasn't going on about too short skirts or tight blouses every few pages.

The story itself is pretty good so far though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:25 pm 

So I've never read Asimov's Foundation series before, but thought I should give it a crack before the Amazon Prime adaptation comes out next year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:52 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
So I've never read Asimov's Foundation series before, but thought I should give it a crack before the Amazon Prime adaptation comes out next year.

I've tried a few times, but I just can't get into them. I know they are classics, but I just find them dull.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:45 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

I've tried a few times, but I just can't get into them. I know they are classics, but I just find them dull.

I’ll let you know how I get on. Currently reading A Confederacy of Dunces. God it’s shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 pm 

Bindi wrote:
ukjim wrote:
Bindi wrote:
NK Jemison
Claire North
Tom Sweterlitsch
Robert Jackson Bennett
Yoon Ha Lee

I really enjoyed the Broken Earth trilogy. I didn’t think they were good enough to justify three consecutive Hugo awards though. Good, but not that good. IMHO ofc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:35 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
Bindi wrote:
ukjim wrote:
Bindi wrote:
NK Jemison
Claire North
Tom Sweterlitsch
Robert Jackson Bennett
Yoon Ha Lee

I really enjoyed the Broken Earth trilogy. I didn’t think they were good enough to justify three consecutive Hugo awards though. Good, but not that good. IMHO ofc.

Jemisin is a good writer but those Hugo awards were the voters responding to an alt-right hate campaign about her.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:58 am 

robmatic wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Bindi wrote:
ukjim wrote:
Bindi wrote:
NK Jemison
Claire North
Tom Sweterlitsch
Robert Jackson Bennett
Yoon Ha Lee

Jemisin is a good writer but those Hugo awards were the voters responding to an alt-right hate campaign about her.

Maybe. I tend to read most of the stuff nominated for the major awards each year + whatever else is recommended on various Goodreads groups.

Her work is a significant level above nearly all of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18