Does anyone do home brew??

All things Rugby
Openside

Does anyone do home brew??

Post by Openside »

I have just entered the Village annual brewing competition for the first time.

Doog22 I shall be expecting you to design me a suitable(one that my friends can see) beer label for this mighty ale.

Anyone got any useful tips??
TB63

Re: Does anyone do home brew??

Post by TB63 »

:D
DOB

Post by DOB »

Openside wrote:

Just opened the first couple bottles of my 2nd ever batch. My panel of tasters (ie, herself's cousins in town for Thanksgiving) were pleased with it.

Keep everything spotlessly clean. There is no such thing as too clean.

Don't transport your beer anywhere from fermenting to bottling. You can mix up a lot of the sediment that way.

Follow instructions to the letter. Make sure you have all your ingredients lined up before you start.

Enjoy, it's fun and the results are rewarding.
Openside

Post by Openside »

TB63 wrote::D

Mate I may need your help as one of the Entrees runs a pub chain - in fact this evening we are going to the opening of his latest venture which is a pub with a brewery in it!!
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Openside wrote:

Mate I may need your help as one of the Entrees runs a pub chain - in fact this evening we are going to the opening of his latest venture which is a pub with a brewery in it!!
Now I'm all ears!..

Wouldn't be in Henley?..
Openside

Post by Openside »

TB63 wrote:
Openside wrote:

Now I'm all ears!..

It is a really smart place I have supplied some of the kit and we are off for a supper (IC ;) )and grand opening tonight - the stainless steel vats are right next to the bar (behind a glass wall) I believe they were at one point hoping to draw it straight from the VAt???

I couldn't possibly comment!!
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

you'll be needing these,

TB63

Post by TB63 »

Openside wrote:
TB63 wrote:
Openside wrote:

Now I'm all ears!..

It is a really smart place I have supplied some of the kit and we are off for a supper (IC ;) )and grand opening tonight - the stainless steel vats are right next to the bar (behind a glass wall) I believe they were at one point hoping to draw it straight from the VAt???

If they use one of the vats as a conditioning tank and add aux finings to it, it'll be conditioned beer..
Openside

Post by Openside »

TB63 wrote:
Openside wrote:
TB63 wrote:
Openside wrote:

Now I'm all ears!..

If they use one of the vats as a conditioning tank and add aux finings to it, it'll be conditioned beer..

Not sure what that means but they are not doing it now.

Do you know the outfit then??

can you give me some advice on what to get??

Can I get it from you??
Womack

Post by Womack »

OS,

Didn't you do this thread a couple of years ago?
Openside

Post by Openside »

Womack wrote:OS,

Didn't you do this thread a couple of years ago?

POssibly but I never ended up entering - I am now signed up this year :D
TB63

Post by TB63 »

I can supply you with everything to brew, including the vats etc as we don't use the small ones anymore..
Openside

Post by Openside »

TB63 wrote:I can supply you with everything to brew, including the vats etc as we don't use the small ones anymore..
Perfect and I shall put in a good word over supper this evening.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

or, in the finest english (ok, faux-scots) tradition you could just cheat.

my mate who used to work for redemption has just set up on his own - he'll knock you out a few dozen bottles i'm sure!!!

this pub/brewery thing is really going through the roof atmo - there's at least 6 opened/ing up near me in the last year or so
indomite

Post by indomite »

To answer the OP: the poor.

The best beer is made by professionals not amateurs.

As to cleanliness: if conditions were truly pristine = no bubbles.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

indomite wrote:To answer the OP: the poor.

Bubbles are cause by nucleation on the surface imperfections of the vessel.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

A good tip is to not put extra sugar in the bottle thinking that will make it stronger.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

You need to "Attn: Freewhelan"

Although what he does is more craft brewing than home brewing.
colonel

Post by colonel »

How some you're orange OS?

Tell me you're not a mod!
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Openside wrote:I have just entered the Village annual brewing competition for the first time.

Doog22 I shall be expecting you to design me a suitable(one that my friends can see) beer label for this mighty ale.

Racking and fining are very important if you don't want excessive yeastiness and/or cloudiness.
There will always be enough viable yeast cells to get the secondary ferment going, so a second racking after another few days settling can help.

Do Not try to make too alcoholic a brew if you are a beginner, because the ferment may slow down t the point where you think it is already 'dry', but still has some residual sugar. The result will be too much sugar for the secondary (bottle) ferment, too much pressure and exploding bottles.
If they don't explode then when they are opened the excess gas will lift the yeast off the bottom and cause a cloudy, yeasty pour.

Lastly, have lots of fun, share with your mates and if they don't appreciate your efforts tell them to fudge themselves. :)
Openside

Post by Openside »

indomite wrote:To answer the OP: the poor.

Well they may well do and good luck to them if they do - There are 10 of us in the village doing it and then there is a big evening in February at last years winners house for the judging and generally a damn good piss up. But is you want to go through life like a Harry Potter dementor sucking the joy out of everything be my guest. 8)
Openside

Post by Openside »

merlin the happy pig wrote:
Openside wrote:I have just entered the Village annual brewing competition for the first time.

Racking and fining are very important if you don't want excessive yeastiness and/or cloudiness.
There will always be enough viable yeast cells to get the secondary ferment going, so a second racking after another few days settling can help.

Do Not try to make too alcoholic a brew if you are a beginner, because the ferment may slow down t the point where you think it is already 'dry', but still has some residual sugar. The result will be too much sugar for the secondary (bottle) ferment, too much pressure and exploding bottles.
If they don't explode then when they are opened the excess gas will lift the yeast off the bottom and cause a cloudy, yeasty pour.

Lastly, have lots of fun, share with your mates and if they don't appreciate your efforts tell them to fudge themselves. :)

Thanks for all the advice - What is racking?
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Openside wrote:

Checking out a burds chesticles..
Freddie Forearm

Post by Freddie Forearm »

There's quite a bit of useful advice on here
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/index.php
Cthulu's Trilby

Post by Cthulu's Trilby »

Does one need to get hold of a lot of expensive copper pots and whatnot?
Openside

Post by Openside »

TB63 wrote:
Openside wrote:

Checking out a burds chesticles..

Which pub is it you supply (as there are two in Cambridge) he hadn't heard of your brewery I am assuming I got the right name??
Freddie Forearm

Cthulu's Trilby wrote:Does one need to get hold of a lot of expensive copper pots and whatnot?
No, you can make your own mash tun from a picnic cooler and some copper tube, and the boiler from a decent size bucket with a couple of tesco value kettle elements!
TB63

Post by TB63 »

The Mill in Cambridge..
Openside

Post by Openside »

TB63 wrote:The Mill in Cambridge..

Is that the tied one??
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Openside wrote:
one of the Entrees runs a pub chain
Who's your main course tonight? The bloke who manages the garden centre?
Openside

Post by Openside »

Sandstorm wrote:
Openside wrote:

Tres amusant :roll:
Cthulu's Trilby

Post by Cthulu's Trilby »

Freddie Forearm wrote:
Cthulu's Trilby wrote:Does one need to get hold of a lot of expensive copper pots and whatnot?
No, you can make your own mash tun from a picnic cooler and some copper tube, and the boiler from a decent size bucket with a couple of tesco value kettle elements!
Excellent. So all that remains is the simple cost/benefit analysis of burning the house down and electrocuting the cat.
Freddie Forearm

The kettle elements still have the cutouts as a safety feature - plus, I don't like cats.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Openside wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Openside wrote:

Tres amusant :roll:
fudge, you Poms always lose your sense of humour when discussing ale. :roll:
Openside

Post by Openside »

Cthulu's Trilby wrote:
Freddie Forearm wrote:
Excellent. So all that remains is the simple cost/benefit analysis of burning the house down and electrocuting the cat.

Blimey I didn't realise I had to heat anything up :?

I may have in a moment of enthusiasm signed myself up for a major embuggerance!!
Freddie Forearm

You've got to stew the grain for 60mins plus, then rinse it through and boil the washings for an hour plus, adding hops at different stages for bitterness/taste/aroma.

You can't just chuck it all in a pot and say ABRACADABRA!
Openside

Post by Openside »

Freddie Forearm wrote:You've got to stew the grain for 60mins plus, then rinse it through and boil the washings for an hour plus, adding hops at different stages for bitterness/taste/aroma.

You can't just chuck it all in a pot and say ABRACADABRA!

Jeez I assumed I could just buy a kit :(

TB63 I think I am going to need serious help - How much room does all this kit take up? will I be able to do it in the Utility room or is it one for the barn??
Toulon's Not Toulouse

Post by Toulon's Not Toulouse »

Openside wrote:

Racking is the process of separating your liquid from the dead yeast and other bits that sunk to the bottom of the fermenter. Those bits will make your brew cloudy as soon as it's agitated, and will give off-flavours. So by racking once the first fermentation is done, and racking again some days later and so on as many times as needed, you'll get a clearer brew, with less many dead yeasts inside to taint the flavour. You do it with a stupid pipe, just like you would to steal petrol from your neighbour's car.

Haven't done any beer myself, but started mead last year. My first batch isn't all that, being too dry and too yeasty. It's getting slightly better with time though, as after 6 months aging in bottle, it's now almost drinkable. Second batch is ready to bottle.
Womack

Post by Womack »

:lol:
Openside

Post by Openside »

Womack wrote::lol:

Are you laughing at me :x Did you spill my pint? are you staring at my GF?etc..